Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/17/2017 2:18:00 PM EDT
Guys,

I seem to be having a small issue with mice getting into my basement these last couple days. So with this in mind, I’m looking for the ARCOM approved method for dealing with these little vermin. I’ve been using the standard snap traps but is this the best way?

Thanks
Link Posted: 12/17/2017 2:18:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/17/2017 2:19:43 PM EDT
[#2]
I use poison.
Link Posted: 12/17/2017 2:22:13 PM EDT
[#3]
I like the electronic traps....zapps those bastards good.  Is .22 overkill?
Link Posted: 12/17/2017 2:23:18 PM EDT
[#4]
I use these in the garage since we are close to the woods. A little peanut butter is all you need.
These som bitches
Link Posted: 12/17/2017 2:23:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Disney thread

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/17/2017 2:32:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Bucket trap
Link Posted: 12/17/2017 2:32:53 PM EDT
[#7]
If you have no pets, I would just put poison out.
Link Posted: 12/17/2017 2:38:41 PM EDT
[#8]
We just had a thread like this a couple weeks ago. Concesus was bucket traps, the big wire mouse traps that hold like ten mice, modifying snap traps to a hair trigger. And most of all stuff the entrance points with steel wool
Link Posted: 12/17/2017 2:41:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Have some fun with the problem.

When I bought my house I shot a bunch out in my barn with my air rifle. That and traps seemed to solve the problem, I wasn't comfortable using poison with my dogs.
Link Posted: 12/17/2017 2:54:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Bucket trap
View Quote
I have three out buildings and these work great. I just need to buy some antifreeze for them as the recent drop in temp means I have a block of ice with dead mice in it at the moment. A kness Katch-all works great as well (though you have to drown them yourself). Mine's getting a little old and in a shed that was infested they'd trigger it enough that the spring would lose tension and they'd all get out before I could check on it. Other issue I had is that sometimes when a mouse triggered it an already caught mouse would try to get out and end up stuck or decapitated by the mechanism. Happened once and I didn't notice the body and it started to rot. Gross.
Link Posted: 12/17/2017 2:57:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Obviously antifreeze is an issue with pets, but a well made bucket trap is pretty damn efficient.
Link Posted: 12/17/2017 2:58:51 PM EDT
[#12]
get some cats and don't feed them enough
Link Posted: 12/17/2017 3:00:28 PM EDT
[#13]
I had a couple of mice get into the cab of my tractor trailer...glue traps caught 1 in the first hour, and the other over the weekend when I was home. An equal number of snap traps caught zero.
Link Posted: 12/17/2017 3:06:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Tomcat glue traps and decon poison. One works for the active ones, the other deals with the smart ones. Bucket trap works well also, used to catch 10+ a day in the barn, the smell is a bit rough though if in the house.
Link Posted: 12/17/2017 3:08:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Obviously antifreeze is an issue with pets, but a well made bucket trap is pretty damn efficient.
View Quote
Salt not antifreeze.
Link Posted: 12/17/2017 3:08:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Got one in my shop the other day.
He had dropped into a trash can that had some food scraps in it.
Fucker was jumping 12-15 inches vertically, trying to reach the lip of the can.

I just fired a squirt of brake cleaner in the can and covered it with a cardboard box.

Acetone = nap time!!!!!
Link Posted: 12/17/2017 3:12:52 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Got one in my shop the other day.
He had dropped into a trash can that had some food scraps in it.
Fucker was jumping 12-15 inches vertically, trying to reach the lip of the can.

I just fired a squirt of brake cleaner in the can and covered it with a cardboard box.

Acetone = nap time!!!!!
View Quote
When I was a kid was helping grandpa feed the cattle. The grain was kept in an old stock tank in the barn. Mouse got in but couldn’t get out. Grandpa tried to smash a mouse with a shovel but wasn’t fast enough so he just picked up a cat and threw it in the tank. Cat had a wtf look for about half a second and then caught the mouse the next half second. Was the coolest thing ever for a little kid to get to watch a cat score a mouse.
Link Posted: 12/17/2017 4:07:51 PM EDT
[#18]
Testing the plastic spring traps.

I used both Terminix and Tomcat. I also used a wifi camera to locate their most used routes. They didn't bother with the classic wood spring traps or electronic trap.

Even the smart ones get desperate. Killed about 12 in a few months. Wiped out a clan and waiting for more .

Link Posted: 12/17/2017 4:21:27 PM EDT
[#19]
I set up a bucket trap last night in the basement and there was 3 dead ones in it this morning.
Link Posted: 12/17/2017 4:28:29 PM EDT
[#20]
Advertised As "The World''s Best Automatic Mouse Trap" Ketch-All Mouse Trap In Action
Link Posted: 12/17/2017 4:30:07 PM EDT
[#21]
Plug all the holes before the snakes start coming in for the mice.
Link Posted: 12/17/2017 4:31:35 PM EDT
[#22]
A hungry cat.  Nothing beats them.
Link Posted: 12/17/2017 4:32:01 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I use poison.
View Quote
So they can crawl into the walls and die.  Great.
Link Posted: 12/17/2017 4:39:09 PM EDT
[#24]
now I want one of those to put out in my yard and thin out the population
Link Posted: 12/17/2017 4:57:49 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I use poison.
View Quote
As long as you can ensure that no house pets will come across a dead mouse.

Snap traps baited with peanut butter work very well.
Link Posted: 12/17/2017 5:06:43 PM EDT
[#26]
For bucket traps in cold weather, buy some rv antifreeze or use regular antifreeze or just add some rubbing alcohol maybe.  All kind of depends on how you want to dispose of things.  Since rv antifreeze is ok for blacktanks and grey tanks I am guessing it won't be a huge deal to send it down the sewer but read it to make sure.

I have had good luck with the plastic tomcat mouse traps, and I still have some of the old style ones around but over time I am not replacing them as they crack the wood or something.

With any mouse trap play with it when knew to make it nice and sensitive.  There are youtube videos on things to check for if you feel your mouse trap needs a bit of work.

Only issue I ever had with the bucket traps was using it at my dad's place and he would not go check it.  So could have a nasty mess if I could not swing by in a timely fashion.

I currently have an indoor cat.

I never had luck with poison but in reading up on it they seemed to make poison less effective in the past few years.

I do agree that a bb or pellet gun or suppressed 22lr has potential, heck cb rounds in a 22lr firearm works well also.  But the traps work 24/7.
Link Posted: 12/17/2017 5:10:03 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

now I want one of those to put out in my yard and thin out the population
View Quote
Agreed.  I’ve always tried to take the fight to them before they find their way in.  I wonder is this will work for voles as well
Link Posted: 12/17/2017 5:11:19 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Agreed.  I’ve always tried to take the fight to them before they find their way in.  I wonder is this will work for voles as well
View Quote
don't voles eat mice?

I tried a bucket trap in the back yard this fall to thin them out, but it kept getting raided by squirrels (eating the bait) and a possum (eating the dead mice and the bait).
Link Posted: 12/17/2017 5:14:32 PM EDT
[#29]
do an exclusion first, seal up everything so they cant get in our out, then bait them with snap traps, bucket traps and glue pads. if you don't seal up the house you wont stop them.
Link Posted: 12/17/2017 5:26:46 PM EDT
[#30]
That's Shawn Woods YT channel, he has a lot of reviews of modern and antique mouse and rat traps.

Naturally, the bleeding heart types are doing their best to get him demonetized, because Rodent Lives Matter.
Link Posted: 12/17/2017 5:34:11 PM EDT
[#31]
Put out little bowls of soda pop. They love the sugar, but mice can't belch. The gas will rupture them. This also avoids the problem of having toxic rodent carcasses laying around where your cat or dog can find them. For ground squirrels, I've dropped just barely chewed gum (they really like Juicy Fruit) down their burrows. They can't digest the gum. I don't see why this wouldn't work for mice as well.

The old-fashioned Victor snap traps still work. Smear a little peanut butter on the bottom of the bait pedal so they have to work for it.
Link Posted: 12/17/2017 5:39:44 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote
I planned on using the non-toxic rv antifreeze. I have lots of predators around my property and I didn't want to chuck poison mice carcases for them to scavenge.
Link Posted: 12/17/2017 7:11:32 PM EDT
[#33]
Plug mouse entry into house and Ratzapper Ultra.
Link Posted: 12/17/2017 7:50:02 PM EDT
[#34]
I live in rhe country  and mouse invasions are a regular occurrance each winter.  Plastic snap traps baited with peanut butter and glue boards do the job just fine.

These traps are highly effective,

Link Posted: 12/17/2017 7:54:08 PM EDT
[#35]

+
Link Posted: 12/17/2017 7:56:11 PM EDT
[#36]
If you are going to use the old school traps, the Victors are the only ones I have found that work.  A little bit of peanut butter on the trigger and face the trap so it is against the wall with the bale wire snapping towards the wall.
Link Posted: 12/17/2017 8:07:35 PM EDT
[#37]
Outdoor kittehs have effectively reduced mice population around the house.  
They are absolutely ruthless.

Used to use traps inside.

Found and sealed up obvious entry points.

No more mice in house.
Link Posted: 12/17/2017 10:42:05 PM EDT
[#38]
Thanks for help guys. I’m pretty sure the mice I’m experiencing got in the last couple nights when I had to leave open my basement door for ventilation. That being said, if the battle continues, I’ve got a few good suggestions.
Link Posted: 12/17/2017 10:46:32 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I had a couple of mice get into the cab of my tractor trailer...glue traps caught 1 in the first hour, and the other over the weekend when I was home. An equal number of snap traps caught zero.
View Quote
+1

There is nothing better.
Link Posted: 12/17/2017 11:09:47 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
For bucket traps in cold weather, buy some rv antifreeze or use regular antifreeze or just add some rubbing alcohol maybe.  All kind of depends on how you want to dispose of things.  Since rv antifreeze is ok for blacktanks and grey tanks I am guessing it won't be a huge deal to send it down the sewer but read it to make sure.

I have had good luck with the plastic tomcat mouse traps, and I still have some of the old style ones around but over time I am not replacing them as they crack the wood or something.

With any mouse trap play with it when knew to make it nice and sensitive.  There are youtube videos on things to check for if you feel your mouse trap needs a bit of work.

Only issue I ever had with the bucket traps was using it at my dad's place and he would not go check it.  So could have a nasty mess if I could not swing by in a timely fashion.

I currently have an indoor cat.

I never had luck with poison but in reading up on it they seemed to make poison less effective in the past few years.

I do agree that a bb or pellet gun or suppressed 22lr has potential, heck cb rounds in a 22lr firearm works well also.  But the traps work 24/7.
View Quote
A friend of mine was using poison until he found a bunch of blue mouse turds in his attic.
Link Posted: 12/17/2017 11:12:04 PM EDT
[#41]
I brought in an outside cat, he caught 15 in 1 hour. No lie, or exaggeration. My mom is the car Lady so she caught me one. He's had a home ever since.
Link Posted: 12/17/2017 11:13:57 PM EDT
[#42]
Hire this guy.

Link Posted: 12/17/2017 11:21:24 PM EDT
[#43]
The five gallon water bucket trap using peanut butter as bait.  Mouse climbs up a ramp to get at the peanut butter, the mouse rolls over into the water, and then keeps swimming until it tires and drowns.  You can wipe out a dozen in a night.

Even third world people who hate mice can make it.

Link Posted: 12/17/2017 11:24:01 PM EDT
[#44]
Adopt a cat and buy a Kensington trackball.  Problems solved. Staying solved.
Link Posted: 12/17/2017 11:48:12 PM EDT
[#45]
First, you may have heard people refer to guns like the KelTec P3AT as "mouse guns".  Do not believe them.  A .380 is overkill for mice, and after one use of it in the garage (even with the garage door open) with no hearing protection, you will not want to use it for mice again (you can expect that loud ringing in your ears to start to fade, a bit, after about half an hour).

At ranges of about 8 to 12 feet, CCI shotshells in a .22 rifle result in a pattern that is near perfect for mice.  They are also much quieter than .380acp from a 3 inch barrel, and the shot pellets are right at the point where they may or may not go through really cheap aluminum siding.

Moving on to traps...

Tomcat wooden snap traps with the plastic bait holder are inferior to the Victor traps with the metal bait holder. The Tomcat traps will work, but you have to fiddle with them a lot more, to get the trigger to the point that it will trip when the mouse goes for the bait. Peanut butter is a good choice for bait.

Glue traps can do amazing things when the mice are really hungry.  When one gets caught, another may decide that the trapped mouse is food, leading to a second mouse getting caught.  I've found three caught in a single trap, a few times, with what was apparently the first mouse partially eaten.  I use a couple pieces of dry cat food set in the middle of the glue area as bait.  The neighbor probably wondered how their cat ended up with a glue trap stuck to the side of it's head, though.

A good bucket trap works well.
Link Posted: 12/17/2017 11:57:12 PM EDT
[#47]
Snap traps baited with food.

Sticky box traps with odiferous food inside.
Link Posted: 12/17/2017 11:59:32 PM EDT
[#48]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top