Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 8
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 2:20:12 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Ajek] [#1]
The only thing worse than mowing a lawn is shoveling snow.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 2:29:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Lawns are a waste of time, money, and resources.

They do it right in AZ.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 3:02:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By DFARM:
Who decided on grass?

Why not some other ground cover that only gets a couple inches tall? Maybe some kind of clover?

Straight moss would be awesome, like shag carpet. Lol
View Quote

What’s stopping you?
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 3:09:28 AM EDT
[#4]
I personally just don't like the way the grass tickles my balls...
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 3:09:41 AM EDT
[#5]
I don't want to let my lawn turn into tall grass, but some kind of nicer understory might be cool.

Maybe ferns or something.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 3:13:43 AM EDT
[#6]
I concur w Op.

I don't water or fertilize .  That's just more work .

And make s the lawn grow even faster so we can do what ???

Yep Mow more . PASS
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 3:37:12 AM EDT
[#7]

my lawn, our house sits in the middle of 3 acres like this with only about 20 ft of mowed lawn right around the house.
OP is right, mowed laws are waste of resources, worst is places out in the country with acres of lawn.
And don't whine about ticks and chiggers cause there are none.

Link Posted: 4/28/2024 3:51:14 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By DirtyDirk:
https://i.postimg.cc/D0MJhhc9/P7210387.jpg

my lawn, our house sits in the middle of 3 acres like this with only about 20 ft of mowed lawn right around the house.
OP is right, mowed laws are waste of resources, worst is places out in the country with acres of lawn.
And don't whine about ticks and chiggers cause there are none.

View Quote

Why do you waste the resources to mow 20 feet around your house?
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 3:52:08 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Macchina:
Call me a greenie or a lazy Millennial but why the fuck are we still all out mowing our lawns!?
Mowed lawns were invented by the English to demonstrate how much extra money they had!  We're not wearing powdered wigs or bleeding with leeches anymore, why mow?

It takes a couple hours out of my week for no reason.
Harms almost all wildlife, especially pollinators.
Costs money for gas, oil, parts, new mower every decade.
Does absolutely zero good aside from it looks a certain way people decided it should look.

I have a few paths at my property up north I mow (we have thorny raspberry everywhere that will grow up if we don't) but it's otherwise natural fields and it's awesome.  Wildlife everywhere, honey bees, monarch butterflies on the milkweed, etc.

For what?  I get we have to mow a ton of stuff, schools, playgrounds, ball fields, etc and that's fine because it serves a purpose.
But why can't we normalize just knocking down the lawn once or twice a year?
I've literally gotten crazy voicemails from my cranky neighbor once when we had our kid and didn't have time to mow for almost 3 weeks.  You'd have thought the house was on fire for how worked up he was about a tall lawn.
View Quote

I’m with you. We don’t now anything but an acre around the house and we use chicken tractors and the goats to rotational graze our pasture. Everything else is left as pollinator pasture and it’s awesome.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 4:07:24 AM EDT
[#10]
We only mow right up next to the house, where we don’t want the goats eating my wife’s plants. Everything else is forage. I pay big money for clover and trefoil and alfalfa seed in me field.i have an 8 foot brush hog for the tractor but a dedicated cutter to deal with the brambles and blackberry cane that the goats dont consume.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 4:19:14 AM EDT
[#11]
Cutting the grass lets people know that I am not a lazy piece of shit that is willing to bring the neighborhood down.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 4:22:55 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Macchina:
It takes a couple hours out of my week for no reason.
View Quote

So don't mow.  You can't solve your own problem?
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 4:49:45 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By DFARM:
Who decided on grass?

Why not some other ground cover that only gets a couple inches tall? Maybe some kind of clover?

Straight moss would be awesome, like shag carpet. Lol
View Quote

My grandmother grew up rural upstate SC farm during depression.  She told me when she was child they kept all vegetation out of yard around house and swept it like a floor to keep all the debris from trees cleaned up.  So i envision it more of a hard pack surface.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 4:57:25 AM EDT
[#14]
Sucks in August .....July to...and sept..and june...
I don't water or fertilize it outside of running over the dogs turds.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 5:06:25 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Chida66:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/3918/IMG_3819_jpeg-3199968.JPG

Because it’s fun!
View Quote

Only if you have a cab and air conditioning.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 5:20:43 AM EDT
[#16]
I didn't mind mowing.

Grass was kept short near the house,
but I had no problem letting it get sequentially
higher further from the house.

I liked having rural propery with a wild look.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 5:36:13 AM EDT
[#17]
In what fucking world is wasting 1.5 hours of your time getting grass all over you, literally skull-fucked with pollen, and sweating like a pig while sun beats down on you without mercy (and that’s *assuming* you could get your pos mower to run that day) a “relaxing/good time?”

Maybe I fail to understand the mentality because I’ve simply been blessed with 1000 other better things to do than that. I mow because yeah, my yard would like shit if I didn’t and my small children like to play in the yard, but man, and I cannot stress this enough, it is only ever done out of grudging necessity
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 5:37:09 AM EDT
[#18]
Maintaining a large lawn is a wasteful indulgence but if you have the proper equipment it is not a big deal.

If you want to preserve your house it is best to have a lawn around it with as few trees close to it as possible.

Link Posted: 4/28/2024 5:51:35 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 6:06:42 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By cavedog:
Do you want small furry critters chewing on your soffit/facia?

Because that is how you get small furry critters chewing on your soffit/facia.
View Quote

The ones who don't mow or take care of their leaves find ecological reasons to not take care of their homes also.

It's enviro-laziness.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 6:06:50 AM EDT
[#21]
OP, I wish to join your club and sign up for your newsletter. Please send me a copy every time you believe it's time to mow. I agree with all you said, and fortunately live where I can let my grass grow until it bothers me. Even then, I only mow near the buildings and let the other acres be au naturale.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 6:07:57 AM EDT
[#22]
Attachment Attached File

Hello neighbor, you make the whole street look like shit
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 6:22:40 AM EDT
[#23]
Very surprised by all the lawn hate.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 6:29:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Sc0tt] [#24]
View Quote

that is fucking awesome!! i need one for my bar LOL

......and OP--go fucking mow your lawn. no one wants your goddamned weeds spreading to their lawn.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 6:35:24 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 6:35:37 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Chida66:Because it’s fun!
View Quote

@Chida66

How's your recovered pickup running?
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 6:43:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Mike_Golf] [#27]
There are alternatives to turfgrass as a ground cover, though most are not superior in terms of maintenance and utility.

Those who make drudgery therapeutic are likely better neighbors than those who are too busy to maintain their property.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 6:45:18 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 6:45:57 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By phatmax:
OP, if you don't like mowing, you must hate farming....

BTW there is more forest than there was 100 years ago

https://www.treehugger.com/more-trees-than-there-were-years-ago-its-true-4864115

Many many states also have less farmed acreage than 100 years ago, including Michigan, and it hasn't all been developed.  

https://stacker.com/business-economy/how-farming-has-changed-every-state-last-100-years

Your kvetching about lawns is just that. There is plenty of space for wildlife and bees, etc. You just really don't want to cut the grass.
View Quote

A small point - 100 years ago the forests were devastated by centuries of burning wood for fuel for heat and then wood for trains.  After we switched to the horrible, terrible, not green coal and oil, the green forests came back quickly.  Old forests are nice, but really not much more useful then new forests, greenies just always need something to whine about.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 6:46:55 AM EDT
[#30]
Mowing the lawn after a glass of whiskey cranking my favorite tunes is all I have left for enjoyment from this world.

Leave that for me at least.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 6:48:55 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 6:49:07 AM EDT
[Last Edit: flippflopped] [#32]
If I knew how to get clover or some ground cover to replace my grass…errr…weeds, I would. If I had the $$$ to turn it all into a big herb and vegetable garden, I would.

I guess we could all grow hay grass and bale it. That still requires mowing though.

I hate cutting grass.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 6:55:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: jwnc] [#33]
OP is right on!  There is nothing better than to let nature do it's thing, nature is beautiful!

(But I pay to have my lawn cut and all of the fertilizer, aerating and stuff.  I like being married...)
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 6:58:31 AM EDT
[#34]
Highly profitable business and it’s out there every warm season. Grow baby grow.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 7:39:51 AM EDT
[#35]
If that's that worst I do I feel better.

I've read that the worst thing we do is have children.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 7:40:24 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By 86Tiger:

My grandmother grew up rural upstate SC farm during depression.  She told me when she was child they kept all vegetation out of yard around house and swept it like a floor to keep all the debris from trees cleaned up.  So i envision it more of a hard pack surface.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 7:42:14 AM EDT
[#37]
By acres, turf is the largest irrigated crop in the USA.  What a fucking waste of water.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 7:43:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Oldgold] [#38]
OP, mowing is good for your soil. It replenishes the nutrients. I have lots of stuff that I eat that it nourishes.
Blueberries
Citrus
Blackberries
Pecans
Elderberries
Mulberries
Dewberries
Peaches
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 7:45:53 AM EDT
[#39]
Because it's about the only absolute me time...

4 kids, wife, dogs, they all leave me alone when i am mowing, and it only takes me about 5 hours now, since I got a new high speed high power mower last fall.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 7:46:18 AM EDT
[#40]
OP has janky china grade lawn equipment and was made to use a non powered push reel mower as a child.

Link Posted: 4/28/2024 7:47:12 AM EDT
[#41]
I hated mowing my lawn.
I worked during the daylight hours M-Sat and only had about 3 hours of daylight on Sunday after work to mow.
Mowing on my one partial day off a week was the last thing that I wanted to do.
Also because my property was fenced with large dogs inside I could not pay someone to come and mow when I was working so I had to do it myself.
That being said I usually waited 3 weeks before mowing because Fuck That.

Link Posted: 4/28/2024 7:50:44 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 7:51:36 AM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By Frank_B:
Next to working with my horse, mowing the lawn was high on my list of favorite relaxations.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/28/2024 7:54:05 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 7:56:54 AM EDT
[#45]
Right now wildflowers are in bloom and I will not be mowing until the middle of June.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 7:59:37 AM EDT
[#46]
Tallgrass prairie is the native habitat for a large portion of the Midwest.  Fire is natural part of tallgrass prairie ecology.  If every suburbanite completely stopped mowing their lawn, a simple grass fire would burn down entire cities.

People treat their yards like another room of their house.  Have you ever walked through hip high grass wearing shorts?  Would you want to rip up your legs every time you walked through your living room?

I'm calling BS on the guy from Wisconsin who said he has no ticks or chiggers.  Unless he's nuking his yard with old school diazinon or the like, he has bugs.  That's what I don't get.  People who feel the need to dump a bunch of chemicals on their yards.

BTW, my backyard is managed prairie.  

Link Posted: 4/28/2024 8:05:00 AM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By onthebreeze:
-Fire risk is the big one
-Rodents
-Insect infestations
-Fucking stickers and sandburrs

It is a lot harder to maintain a house if it's surrounded by 3 feet of grass and weeds. Ever heard of chiggers? Ticks?
View Quote

Thank you for posting that, all valid points.

i was only going to post. i find it relaxing and enjoyable.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 8:07:01 AM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By W202fan90:
Because an overgrown yard looks like ass?
View Quote

Yep.

Well kept yards are usually a good sign that the area has fewer democrats and yutes.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 8:07:32 AM EDT
[#49]
Its really nice to sit on your deck having a fine cigar & bourbon over looking your park like backyard.
I have gotten to the point i just pay a yard service to do mine.
Mowers are expensive i can have mine mowed for years for what a Scag with 60” deck costs.
I can see where this will end with the boomers.
Look how many tiny homes can fit there.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 8:09:25 AM EDT
[#50]
Attachment Attached File

Stripes. All about the stripes.
Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top