BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 47
Link Posted: 5/31/2016 3:27:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Blitz_308:

IMHO, in just the scope of having to use a gun to defend yourself, it's not nearly as critical as it is in the overall scope of self defense.
One of the things we all appreciate is that firearms are the great equalizer that allow people of any shape or stature to be on a level playing field with someone who is physically superior.

I do believe that being physically fit and having even basic training in some type of hands on fighting is very important to self defense in general, and would only increase your success rate, whether a gun is involved or not.  Being able to control your breathing, having stamina and muscle strength when fighting someone off is definitely an advantage.  I also believe that when injuries are in play, being in shape can allow you to continue fighting longer with those injuries than you would otherwise.  For the record, you recover from injuries faster too.

I would have replied sooner, but I had to go to the gym.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By bcauz3y:
Blitz,

How critical do you view physical fitness in the context of self defense?

IMHO, in just the scope of having to use a gun to defend yourself, it's not nearly as critical as it is in the overall scope of self defense.
One of the things we all appreciate is that firearms are the great equalizer that allow people of any shape or stature to be on a level playing field with someone who is physically superior.

I do believe that being physically fit and having even basic training in some type of hands on fighting is very important to self defense in general, and would only increase your success rate, whether a gun is involved or not.  Being able to control your breathing, having stamina and muscle strength when fighting someone off is definitely an advantage.  I also believe that when injuries are in play, being in shape can allow you to continue fighting longer with those injuries than you would otherwise.  For the record, you recover from injuries faster too.

So, that pretty much mirrors my position as well.

Many many self defense situations are at close distances.

My wife made the point the other day when we were doing retention shooting drills together. She was having trouble controlling my arm while presenting and shooting with her other arm.

She's a tiny little thing, so theoretically I would have easily overwhelmed her long before she would be able to get her pistol into play.

Something to think about. I suppose it also underscores the need for situational awareness. Situational awareness is time, and time is life.

Link Posted: 5/31/2016 3:59:18 PM EDT
[#2]

My wife made the point the other day when we were doing retention shooting drills together. She was having trouble controlling my arm while presenting and shooting with her other arm.

http://www.activeresponsetraining.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/2.jpg

She's a tiny little thing, so theoretically I would have easily overwhelmed her long before she would be able to get her pistol into play.

Something to think about. I suppose it also underscores the need for situational awareness. Situational awareness is time, and time is life.

View All Quotes
Blitz,

Good points!  

I never did take a martial arts class, although some of that krav maga looks pretty interesting.  I do have 9 years of wrestling under my belt so I do feel comfortable grappling in very close quarters.  I actually haven't had to participate in too many physical fights (and I never went looking for one).  It was probably largely due to the wrestling background and a 6'3"-6'4" best friend (who goes by Kujoe here on the board ) telling people that wanted to fight me that it was a bad idea unless they wanted to be on the ground with me.

If that's you in the pic, which I think it is, based on other pics you've posted, we're about the same build.  My wife is kind of small also, at 5'3" and what I try to impress on her is that if she's in a confrontation with someone larger like us, is that acting violently and explosively is probably her best bet in gaining time to act, whether that act is running or deploying a weapon, or both.  It seems that most bad dudes are usually looking for a victim, not a fight.
Link Posted: 5/31/2016 4:09:06 PM EDT
[#3]

Good points!  

I never did take a martial arts class, although some of that krav maga looks pretty interesting.  I do have 9 years of wrestling under my belt so I do feel comfortable grappling in very close quarters.  I actually haven't had to participate in too many physical fights (and I never went looking for one).  It was probably largely due to the wrestling background and a 6'3"-6'4" best friend (who goes by Kujoe here on the board ) telling people that wanted to fight me that it was a bad idea unless they wanted to be on the ground with me.

If that's you in the pic, which I think it is, based on other pics you've posted, we're about the same build.  My wife is kind of small also, at 5'3" and what I try to impress on her is that if she's in a confrontation with someone larger like us, is that acting violently and explosively is probably her best bet in gaining time to act, whether that act is running or deploying a weapon, or both.  It seems that most bad dudes are usually looking for a victim, not a fight.
View Quote

Amen!

That's not me in the pic, but he and myself could be brothers. (we look a lot alike)  I'm 6'1" & 230.

I'm mainly encouraging the wife to get in good physical condition. She's always been healthy and thin, so she's never really needed to work out. I just worry about her working downtown Birmingham.

Link Posted: 5/31/2016 4:37:34 PM EDT
[#4]

Amen!

That's not me in the pic, but he and myself could be brothers. (we look a lot alike)  I'm 6'1" & 230.

I'm mainly encouraging the wife to get in good physical condition. She's always been healthy and thin, so she's never really needed to work out. I just worry about her working downtown Birmingham.

View All Quotes

Good points!  

Amen!

I was wondering if that was you.. i was like kinda but might not be him.
Link Posted: 5/31/2016 8:38:10 PM EDT
[#5]

View All Quotes
Blitz,

PT and martial arts training both increase your physical presence and general awareness - they make you more comfortable in your own skin and everything you do gets a little better
Link Posted: 7/1/2016 2:37:11 PM EDT
[#6]
BUMP
Link Posted: 8/12/2016 11:23:44 AM EDT
[#7]
Has Obama pardoned this asshole yet?
Link Posted: 8/12/2016 12:14:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Leisure_Shoot:
Has Obama pardoned this asshole yet?
View Quote

Not that I've been notified of, lol.

It would just mean that hunting season would be coming early this year.  
Link Posted: 8/15/2016 1:46:41 PM EDT
[#9]
It's just too bad that big ass hole was in his hand and not his brain housing group.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 8:14:44 AM EDT
[#10]
Bump - certainly worth reading if you haven't seen this before.
Link Posted: 9/12/2016 4:40:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Better late than never, I suppose.....Great thread and incredibly valuable resource. Many thanks to Blitz for posting, and to everyone else who contributed with thoughtful questions and responses. I learned a ton, the easy way I might add.
Link Posted: 9/12/2016 6:41:19 PM EDT
[#12]
A Friend of mine was shot Sunday Morning about 3:30AM at an art fair, in Westport Area of KCMO, he was shot in the back, deflated a lung doctors are worried about his heart, Random Act of Violence, shooter randomly shot into the crowd. 10-11 shots, hit 6 people Dustin was the 1 listed as Critical. He still has his sense of humor even tho, but he is definitely not out of the woods they may still operate. more important was getting his lung emptied of blood and reinflated... Third Rib was broken too. His back was to the shooter everyone was outside, there were over 100 police officers on scene AT THE TIME... I wonder what I could have done had I been there, could I have made a difference? Shooter jumped into a car and they sped off PD gave chase and apprehended both subjects... Dude is being charged with 7 counts of assault, 6 victims... 10-11 shots fired... Randomly...
Link Posted: 9/12/2016 6:45:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By AFSOC:
A Friend of mine was shot Sunday Morning about 3:30AM at an art fair, in Westport Area of KCMO, he was shot in the back, deflated a lung doctors are worried about his heart, Random Act of Violence, shooter randomly shot into the crowd. 10-11 shots, hit 6 people Dustin was the 1 listed as Critical. He still has his sense of humor even tho, but he is definitely not out of the woods they may still operate. more important was getting his lung emptied of blood and reinflated... Third Rib was broken too. His back was to the shooter everyone was outside, there were over 100 police officers on scene AT THE TIME... I wonder what I could have done had I been there, could I have made a difference? Shooter jumped into a car and they sped off PD gave chase and apprehended both subjects... Dude is being charged with 7 counts of assault, 6 victims... 10-11 shots fired... Randomly...
View Quote

Holy crap. . . . . . . . good luck to him.
Link Posted: 9/12/2016 7:29:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By MaxTheRabbit:

PT and martial arts training both increase your physical presence and general awareness - they make you more comfortable in your own skin and everything you do gets a little better
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By MaxTheRabbit:
Blitz,

all of that makes you look less like a victim and more like somebody who will fight back.
as pointed out above, the crooks are looking for a victim, not a fight.
Link Posted: 9/12/2016 9:38:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Geohans:

View All Quotes

From his Sister....
He's bored. Said he needs more pain meds. Nauseated. Ect. But he's a lot more alert and talking today... So that's good. He wants Hunter to hang with him, but bubs is getting really awkward (I think it upsets him to be here) so I am not staying long. Brad and uncle Ben were here earlier. Just me, Hunter and dad now. ( he's literally talking "it is crazy to think I thought I was going to die less then 48hrs ago")
Link Posted: 9/12/2016 11:25:55 PM EDT
[#16]
i think i said it earlier in the thread, but if not, i'll say it again: i'm glad you're ok, and things worked out the way they did OP.
Link Posted: 9/12/2016 11:31:07 PM EDT
[#17]

From his Sister....

He's bored. Said he needs more pain meds. Nauseated. Ect. But he's a lot more alert and talking today... So that's good. He wants Hunter to hang with him, but bubs is getting really awkward (I think it upsets him to be here) so I am not staying long. Brad and uncle Ben were here earlier. Just me, Hunter and dad now. ( he's literally talking "it is crazy to think I thought I was going to die less then 48hrs ago")
View All Quotes

From his Sister....

Zofran for nausea. Tell him to rest up. Was he a gun guy?
Link Posted: 9/13/2016 12:25:21 PM EDT
[#18]
View Quote

Damn

Hope he heals fast and makes a full recovery.
Link Posted: 9/13/2016 12:40:34 PM EDT
[#19]
View All Quotes

According to Kansas City Police Department data on crimereports.com, there has been an average of 7.6 reports of varying kinds of assault per month in the immediate area surrounding the Westport entertainment district — the blocks south of West 39th Street and north of West 43rd Street and between Main and Summit streets.

Wrong place to be at 3am?
Link Posted: 9/13/2016 7:21:29 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By callgood:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By callgood:

According to Kansas City Police Department data on crimereports.com, there has been an average of 7.6 reports of varying kinds of assault per month in the immediate area surrounding the Westport entertainment district — the blocks south of West 39th Street and north of West 43rd Street and between Main and Summit streets.

At a PLANNED EVENT, ART FAIR.... with over 100 Police officers on site...
Link Posted: 10/13/2016 1:38:26 PM EDT
[#21]
Here's to you guys for 7 years of moral support.  

You all really don't know how much it meant to me and continues to mean to me, to have the Arfcom nation at your back.  

I'm proud to call so many of you my friends.  

Stay safe and stay armed,

Justin
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 8:40:34 AM EDT
[#22]
Here's to you guys for 7 years of moral support.  

You all really don't know how much it meant to me and continues to mean to me, to have the Arfcom nation at your back.  

I'm proud to call so many of you my friends.  

Stay safe and stay armed,

Justin
View Quote

I was just telling your story over the weekend to some soon to be CCW'ers and I couldn't believe it's been 7 years man!
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 10:26:49 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By jeremyt:
I was just telling your story over the weekend to some soon to be CCW'ers and I couldn't believe it's been 7 years man!
View Quote

Glad people are still getting something out of it.

Hopefully, I'll be getting with you soon.  Couple of Form 1s should clear in the next week or two.  
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 11:28:57 AM EDT
[#24]
Has there been any updates on the status of the revolver?
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 1:28:46 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Alacran:
View Quote

It turns out that a judge would have to sign the release for it anyway...so, my lawyer friend is speaking to one of the county judges on my behalf.  Hope to know something this week.  
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 1:47:50 AM EDT
[#26]
I remember reading this thread back in the beginning and it stuck with me quite a bit.  I can't say It has made me any smarter, faster or better looking, but this complete read through has made me put training at a much higher priority.  It's also reminded me to not be slack about carrying.  

Blitz, you did a helluva thing by posting your story, but I think you may have done more than that.  You may have saved people's lives by sharing and changing some behaviors.  Between your story and John Wayne's posts explaining the psychology and physical signals, I can see it as a possibility.  

I do have two questions for you.  

1.  When are you going to hear back about the revolver?  It has been a few weeks now.  :)

2.  Looking back on your encounter, how would you prioritize your training now?   More offhand, clearing drills, etc.  Practice time is great but it doesn't do much if you're punching holes in paper at 10 yards and not learning or improving.

Thanks again for sharing your story.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 2:11:36 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By baxt3r:
I remember reading this thread back in the beginning and it stuck with me quite a bit.  I can't say It has made me any smarter, faster or better looking, but this complete read through has made me put training at a much higher priority.  It's also reminded me to not be slack about carrying.  

Blitz, you did a helluva thing by posting your story, but I think you may have done more than that.  You may have saved people's lives by sharing and changing some behaviors.  Between your story and John Wayne's posts explaining the psychology and physical signals, I can see it as a possibility.

I do have two questions for you.  

1.  When are you going to hear back about the revolver?  It has been a few weeks now.  :)

The good news is, there is at least one judge who is sympathetic and will most likely rule in my favor if the proper paperwork is brought to him.  The bad news it, the way it's looking, I may have to file a lawsuit against the bad guy, in order to take possession of the revolver, since it wasn't my property.  The problem is, we may have exceeded the statute of limitations for a tort lawsuit.  I've got my lawyer friend checking on it, just reminded him about it after reading your post.

2.  Looking back on your encounter, how would you prioritize your training now?   More offhand, clearing drills, etc.  Practice time is great but it doesn't do much if you're punching holes in paper at 10 yards and not learning or improving.

More offhand, shooting after drawing from concealment and shooting under stress.  The more exposure you have, forcing yourself to be able to concentrate and shoot well under less than ideal circumstances, the better it's going to make you.  I know a lot of people who haven't done Cola Warrior think it's a big joke, but I've seen it turn good shooters into not so good shooters, all because of stress, mud, biting horseflies, rapid heart rate, breathing hard, racing against a clock, etc.

Thanks again for sharing your story.
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 2:29:33 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 12:39:03 PM EDT
[#29]
Bump to keep out of the archive.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 1:29:13 AM EDT
[#30]
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 9:41:45 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By Matt45:
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Matt45:
What we've found out, is that I'm probably going to have to sue for the revolver as a tort lawsuit.  Working on determining if we may be past the statute of limitations for doing such.  Getting information on this stuff as a non lawyer or bugging the lawyer friend I have, is slow and aggravating.  

I'll be seeing the lawyer buddy tonight, so I'll have a chance to see if he's found anything else.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 9:44:50 AM EDT
[#32]

What we've found out, is that I'm probably going to have to sue for the revolver as a tort lawsuit.  Working on determining if we may be past the statute of limitations for doing such.  Getting information on this stuff as a non lawyer or bugging the lawyer friend I have, is slow and aggravating.  

I'll be seeing the lawyer buddy tonight, so I'll have a chance to see if he's found anything else.
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 2:45:17 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 4:00:06 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By Seiran:
This. Would be a shame if they simply destroyed a piece of history in your life. Definitely get that revolver.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Seiran:

http://i.imgur.com/YwMBHUJ.gif
This. Would be a shame if they simply destroyed a piece of history in your life. Definitely get that revolver.
Talked to him last night.  He's working on it, but it won't be anytime real soon.  

Also ran into the lead detective from the case, last night.  He said that he'd do whatever he could to help, as well.  He and a few other police buddies are at least making sure that it doesn't leave the evidence room, to be destroyed.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 5:05:35 PM EDT
[#35]
Anti archive bump
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 5:59:36 PM EDT
[#36]
Well done brother, glad to hear that shitbag will be in jail until he dies.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 6:03:55 PM EDT
[#37]
Was thinking about your case this morning,  Blitz and here it the thread is today top of my list. Some coincidence. Good work on the perp..fuck that guy.

I probably missed it but what's your carry set up now? I seem to remember some issues with the 1911 but haven't read the story in awhile.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 9:02:16 AM EDT
[#38]
This is a scary story!

Someone hearing the click of my 1911's safety is never anything that would have crossed my mind.  I converted from 1911 to a SIG P229 after just missing an armed robbery with multiple assailants.  I would not have had enough bullets even with a reload.  I like the idea of having the first shot DAO with no safety.

Hope you're healed to 100% and that scumbag gets kidney shanked as he's being sodomized by some guy who makes John Holmes look Asian.

Good luck getting his pistol.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 9:58:42 AM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By AS556:
Was thinking about your case this morning,  Blitz and here it the thread is today top of my list. Some coincidence. Good work on the perp..fuck that guy.

I probably missed it but what's your carry set up now? I seem to remember some issues with the 1911 but haven't read the story in awhile.
View Quote
These days, I'm carrying a G19 the majority of the time, in Crossbreed Supertuck and loaded up with either 147 gr Critical Duty or HSTs.  
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 10:01:49 AM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By IceStationZebra:
This is a scary story!

Someone hearing the click of my 1911's safety is never anything that would have crossed my mind.  I converted from 1911 to a SIG P229 after just missing an armed robbery with multiple assailants.  I would not have had enough bullets even with a reload.  I like the idea of having the first shot DAO with no safety.

Hope you're healed to 100% and that scumbag gets kidney shanked as he's being sodomized by some guy who makes John Holmes look Asian.

Good luck getting his pistol.
View Quote
Thanks man.  

I'm back and bigger, stronger and meaner than ever.  
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 10:11:54 AM EDT
[#41]

I'm back and bigger, stronger and meaner than ever.  
View Quote
Damn right!
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 9:23:19 PM EDT
[#42]
5 years late to this party, but absolutely fantastic insights. Thank you. Sociopaths are real.
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 9:24:10 PM EDT
[#43]
7 years late to this party, but absolutely fantastic insights. Thank you. Sociopaths are real.
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 11:00:10 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 11:55:01 PM EDT
[#45]
Any word on getting that revolver? It would be a cool artifact to possess.
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 11:37:46 AM EDT
[#46]
Thought I would share an update on my buddy, he made a full recovery.
the Firearm used was an AK Type Pistol, the bullet is still in Dustin lodged under his right arm in some muscle tissue.
Bad news is he had no insurance at that time, and the hospital bills were around a quarter million, a victim help group paid about 20k of it...
He's still waiting to see what the hospital will do to help... if anything.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 11:43:44 AM EDT
[#47]
the Firearm used was an AK Type Pistol, the bullet is still in Dustin lodged under his right arm in some muscle tissue.
Bad news is he had no insurance at that time, and the hospital bills were around a quarter million, a victim help group paid about 20k of it...

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/20169/Dustin-s-Little-Friend-243958.JPG
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 10:50:09 AM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By John_Wayne777:
Just now seeing this...

The dude in the pic is Greg Ellifritz. Good dude...teaches a hell of a good class on close quarters combat and a good course on knives. Your wrestling background will serve you well. Shit like bicep ties is crucial to dealing with a close quarters problem. If you have knife boy there, imagine being able to get a behind the back bicep tie on that knife arm...you've trapped both his arms and then you still have a free arm to draw your pistol and end the fuck. Or you can pick him up (or use a sweep and hit him in the face with the fucking earth.

I highly recommend Greg's classes. I also highly recommend Extreme Close Quarters Concepts with Shivworks. (Craig Douglas AKA SouthNarc) Your wrestling background will serve you well as a lot of the core stuff about footwork and body positioning is already familiar to you. Now all you need is a few nasty little tricks on controlling a weapon-bearing appendage.

Both dudes would love to have you in class...and they're both on the traveling circuit so I'm sure they are doing something near enough to you for you to get in a class. Look up Shivworks for ECQC and Active Response Training for Gorillafritz.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By John_Wayne777:

Good points!  

Just now seeing this...

The dude in the pic is Greg Ellifritz. Good dude...teaches a hell of a good class on close quarters combat and a good course on knives. Your wrestling background will serve you well. Shit like bicep ties is crucial to dealing with a close quarters problem. If you have knife boy there, imagine being able to get a behind the back bicep tie on that knife arm...you've trapped both his arms and then you still have a free arm to draw your pistol and end the fuck. Or you can pick him up (or use a sweep and hit him in the face with the fucking earth.

I highly recommend Greg's classes. I also highly recommend Extreme Close Quarters Concepts with Shivworks. (Craig Douglas AKA SouthNarc) Your wrestling background will serve you well as a lot of the core stuff about footwork and body positioning is already familiar to you. Now all you need is a few nasty little tricks on controlling a weapon-bearing appendage.

Both dudes would love to have you in class...and they're both on the traveling circuit so I'm sure they are doing something near enough to you for you to get in a class. Look up Shivworks for ECQC and Active Response Training for Gorillafritz.
Sounds great.  I'll see if there are any near me.  It's probably time to thin the gun herd a bit and spend some of the proceeds on more training.

As always, thanks for the great insight and advice, J_W
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 10:50:50 AM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By Shqype:
Any word on getting that revolver? It would be a cool artifact to possess.
View Quote
Back to being at a fucking standstill on it.  
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 10:57:35 AM EDT
[#50]

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/20169/Dustin-s-Little-Friend-243958.JPG
View Quote
Glad to hear he's made a full recovery.

Damn sorry to hear about the lack of insurance and bills.  Fortunately, I have excellent insurance and also wasn't docked any pay for time off when mine occurred.  I was also told about the Crime Victim's Fund, by one of their representatives while in the hospital.  Unfortunately, I wasn't eligible for any of the $25k because I wasn't out any money from medical bills or loss of work.  However, I'd rather that was the case than $250k in debt to the hospital.
Page / 47
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top