BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 10:50:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By BURN:

I do 1-3 miles 4-5 times a week on a 5%-8% incline with a 63lbs ruck as part of my normal work out.

View Quote

Rucking is the best way to get in shape in my experience.
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 10:51:27 PM EDT
[#2]

I do 1-3 miles 4-5 times a week on a 5%-8% incline with a 63lbs ruck as part of my normal work out.

View Quote

You're better prepared than most.

My first backpack elk hunt, we averaged 18 miles a day.
Out of the tents by 0500. Back to the tents around 2200.
Less weight than your training but damn, sure kicked my ass.
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 10:51:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Beer?
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 10:54:34 PM EDT
[#4]
@fuddtrucker, I have the Selway B tag so we'll be in the same area.  I'll be hunting with a disabled friend so my options are a bit limited.

I don't carry much water.  I carry a pump filter and top off every chance I get.  Don't carry much weight, never thirsty.  There's a lot of water in that country.

Skip the hatchet- gutless method is best.  If you want to go there, I carry a small plumber's PVC saw.  Very light and works fine on legs and sternum.  I also use a Havoline knife with replaceable blades.  Always have a sharp knife that way.
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 11:01:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By 1911fan:
@fuddtrucker, I have the Selway B tag so we'll be in the same area.  I'll be hunting with a disabled friend so my options are a bit limited.

I don't carry much water.  I carry a pump filter and top off every chance I get.  Don't carry much weight, never thirsty.  There's a lot of water in that country.

Skip the hatchet- gutless method is best.  If you want to go there, I carry a small plumber's PVC saw.  Very light and works fine on legs and sternum.  I also use a Havoline knife with replaceable blades.  Always have a sharp knife that way.
View Quote

Yeah, that's my plan. Best of luck to you and your friend. I am also using a pump filter as like you said, lots of water available. Just bought a pvc saw the other day. Ounces make pounds. Going with family that have lots of experience there and have hunted with my whole life. Can't wait!
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 11:20:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By 50-140:

Cools 'em down faster, and easier to get all the upper intestines out without getting your hunting clothing bloody.
View Quote

With the gutless method, you never touch the intestines.
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 11:35:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Not elk but deer, once went on a hunt and forgot to take ammo.  No body else in the group shot 308, got to spend the morning just watching, went into town during the afternoon and got some.  Shot a deer that night.  I was young and dumb at the time.
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 11:49:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Make up a small puffer bottle with orange carpenters chalk. You can use it for wind direction and marking a blood trail by splashing it over the blood spots and on nearby leaves, rocks and logs. And it’s cheap. You can’t even write a message on the ground if you need to.

Go to a thrift store and get 8 or 10 king size pillow cases. It takes 6 on average to handle a boned out bull elk. I always carry two with me as it allows me to fill them each with around twenty pounds of meat for the first trip out. I lash the tops together with cord and hang the 40 pound assembly over my neck or shoulder for the trip out. On the remainder of the trips I use a freighter pack. You never use plastic to meat bags. Doing this helps get at least some meat out of the woods and saves steps and lightens the load for the other trips.

After getting one down it’s vital to cool it as quickly as possible. You have to get the skin off. I gut the animal and skin one side. I don’t carry a saw, I just skin the legs down below the knees and then disjoint the lower leg. I remove all meat from that side and load the two pillow cases I have with me and lay the rest of the meat from that side on some branches or logs to cool. Then I roll the animal over, skin that side and hall butt back to camp. The meat left on the body is off the ground and is supported on the skeleton. There is now no skin on anything. I’ll usually leave a clothing item with the meat, but I’m sure it wouldn’t deter a hungry predator. When I return with the freighter pack, I have game bags and a small tarp.

Chemlite light sticks. When you’re trying to track an animal or shuttling meat in the dark, they come in very handy. You can hang them in the trees to mark a trail that you can trace.
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 11:50:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Part 2

Neosporin. It works for chapped lips, small cuts and infections, and the chapped butt from eating too much chili and drinking beer.

Always two flashlights and two knives. A dromidary bag for water. They will hold as much water as you want, or don’t want. And if you push the air out of it, they only take up that amount of area and they don’t slosh loudly when you walk like a water bottle does.

A small Anker cell phone booster battery with a cord to charge your phone in an emergency.

That’s the short list from 40 years of doing it.
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 11:52:46 PM EDT
[#10]
I swear I forget my fucking pillow every time a go hunting.
Backpacking Elk I’m usually good because I use a stuff sack that has a soft liner and fill it with clothes.

Just don’t forget your pillow.
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 11:54:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By seaskidoo:

You're better prepared than most.

My first backpack elk hunt, we averaged 18 miles a day.
Out of the tents by 0500. Back to the tents around 2200.
Less weight than your training but damn, sure kicked my ass.
View Quote

That's a tough hunt,   I could do that at 25 a lot easier than 55
Link Posted: 8/28/2024 12:20:16 AM EDT
[#12]
That is a great hunt.  Spiking camp is worth it.  There will be elk all over.  Good luck.
Link Posted: 8/30/2024 7:33:49 PM EDT
[#13]
I bet you’re getting excited as it comes closer
Link Posted: 8/30/2024 7:38:03 PM EDT
[#14]
I forgot my ammo once.    Luckily I shoot 30.06 so you can find it in every mom and pop store around here.
Link Posted: 8/30/2024 7:39:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Not in NM specifically but a few states north of there:  there are other big animals out there besides elk and some aren't friendly
Link Posted: 8/31/2024 1:26:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DVCER] [#16]
Originally Posted By MrMackey:
I bet you’re getting excited as it comes closer
View Quote

I would have an erection with that tag.

Go smoke one BURN!

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/31/2024 1:32:39 PM EDT
[#17]
The first time I went, the gentleman above this post recommended chapstick. I bought a 5 pack, and by day three the other guys in camp were ready to fellate me with their crusty lips, for one stick!

The only thing I “forgot” on my last trip, was to buy a bear tag. My buddy and I got our bulls 15 minutes into day one. On the third afternoon, we decided to sit in a blind and call coyotes. Wouldn’t you know it, a massive black bear showed up and nobody had a tag….. Worst $100 I never spent!!!
Link Posted: 9/1/2024 9:04:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DVCER] [#18]
Originally Posted By 3BP:
The first time I went, the gentleman above this post recommended chapstick. I bought a 5 pack, and by day three the other guys in camp were ready to fellate me with their crusty lips, for one stick!

The only thing I “forgot” on my last trip, was to buy a bear tag. My buddy and I got our bulls 15 minutes into day one. On the third afternoon, we decided to sit in a blind and call coyotes. Wouldn’t you know it, a massive black bear showed up and nobody had a tag….. Worst $100 I never spent!!!
View Quote

If you are coming here to hunt, buy a bear tag.  I see one every year and a hundred bucks is not much more considering all it cost just to get here.   If you get a deer or elk, sitting on the gut pile is almost a guarantee of filling a bear tag.

I hope BURN is getting on the elk . Moving into our camp on 9-4.

Damn it, I forgot to remind him to take crocs or some slippers for camp.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/1/2024 9:47:01 AM EDT
[#19]
It’s Sunday morning. I hope op has a bull screaming in his face right now.
Link Posted: 9/1/2024 10:11:51 AM EDT
[#20]
batteries  for lights, cameras, phone bow site....

Red
Link Posted: 9/2/2024 8:12:25 AM EDT
[#21]
Day 2.
Link Posted: 9/2/2024 10:58:29 AM EDT
[#22]
I’m going Tomorrow!  Dreaming of screaming!
Now then, take your weapons, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt game for me.  

I hope Burn has a sore back by now from packing meat.
Link Posted: 9/4/2024 3:51:56 PM EDT
[#23]
OP, where you at?

Link Posted: 9/4/2024 10:29:35 PM EDT
[#24]
@BURN probably is with out cell service and hauling out meat!
Link Posted: 9/4/2024 11:22:36 PM EDT
[#25]
A guy I used to work with found he left his rifle bolt at home after he got dropped off for a fly in caribou hunt.
Link Posted: 9/4/2024 11:37:16 PM EDT
[#26]
The season ends the 14th so we may not hear from him for awhile, I hunted the same area he is at last year and had no cell service.
Link Posted: 9/4/2024 11:52:17 PM EDT
[#27]
Wind check/ aka smoke bottle.
Link Posted: 9/4/2024 11:52:18 PM EDT
[#28]
I see spotting scope, but no tripod....I assume you arn't packing all this in on your back?
Link Posted: 9/5/2024 12:02:56 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By JRoy:
A small hatchet. Makes  it easier to split the sternum so you can reach up in there.
View Quote

Battery operated sawzall works better, 12" wood/metal blade....

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/5/2024 12:20:46 AM EDT
[#30]
motivation!
The last of the mohicans intro scene
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 7:28:11 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By MrMackey:
@BURN probably is with out cell service and hauling out meat!
View Quote

This is my first camp with cell service.  So far without elk too, but we just got started.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 9/6/2024 7:46:23 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By dorobuta:

Thermacell

Or picaridin spray.

bring an extra tarp, and a hot glue stick - you can melt it with a lighter or a fire. Can repair just about anything in the field.

Have at least one extra release and extra broadheads / arrows
View Quote

And mosquito spray.
Link Posted: 9/13/2024 9:53:30 PM EDT
[#33]
OP how was it?
Link Posted: 9/13/2024 11:41:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MrMackey] [#34]
Originally Posted By arowneragain:
OP how was it?
View Quote

His last post date was today
@BURN come on man we are all anxious to hear how it went either way!
Link Posted: 9/14/2024 9:40:08 AM EDT
[#35]
I'll post some pictures tomorrow and a story of fail.
Link Posted: 9/14/2024 12:14:39 PM EDT
[#36]
View Quote

Noooooo!
Link Posted: 9/14/2024 12:23:36 PM EDT
[#37]
View Quote

Damn.
Link Posted: 9/14/2024 1:41:03 PM EDT
[#38]
View Quote

Looking forward to hearing it.

Let that sink in: Your week of 'failure' was more interesting than literally anything else that's been posted in GD since you left.

Link Posted: 9/14/2024 3:13:41 PM EDT
[#39]
View Quote

You didn't forget to take something with you did you?

We made a list for you!!! 😜
Link Posted: 9/14/2024 11:03:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BURN] [#40]
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Saw
Records bucks (multiple) and doe
2 bears
Pronghorn
Badgers
Turkeys
Grouse
A crap ton of other animals and no elk except one medium sized cow about 1.5 hours before legal hunting hours
Was there 8 nights
Hicked in sat on water every day

The night before the season opened saw a few drones and a helicopter over the Cimeron campsite
It was flying passes over the area.

2500 elk my ass

Next time
Link Posted: 9/14/2024 11:22:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Wolfy42] [#41]
Please and Thank you!

I have made my list and checked and checked.

But I bet there is something I have forgotten.

Let me learn from your mistakes.

Once in a life time bow hunt in Valle Vidal
View Quote

Not elk but deer.  

Checked my rifle the night before.  Dropped the 5 round mag before I did so and made sure chamber was clear.  Placed rifle in soft carry case.

Climbed into my blind.  Took out my rifle from the case and……….. you guessed it no mag.  Not even a loose round I could shoot.

Had to unass my blind walk back couple miles to truck, drive back to cabin and grab my mag and bullets.

45 min later walked back into cabin and the family was like what did you forget now?!

I told them I got a doe and needed some help as she dove under a pine tree and I couldnt get it out.  Shouts of NO WAY, LIAR,  he thinks he is a comedian!

The whole family piled into 3 trucks to retrieve my deer.  Lmao.

It must have sounded like an army trouncing around the woods.

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top