Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/7/2024 5:58:17 PM EDT
Was going through the gun safe the other day looking for some pistol mags and came across this pipe. I had forgotten I stuck it in there when my grandmother died. This was my granddads pipe, he died in 78. I was 4 at the time and I do have some memories of him but don’t remember seeing him smoking a pipe. I just remember this pipe always being in their house and pretending I was smoking it as a kid. As far as I know it hasn’t been smoked since he he died way back 46 years ago.

I thought I’d clean it up and maybe try smoking with it. I am not a pipe smoker but the idea sounds cool, at least in my head.

It’s a Kaywoodie Supergrain 42 I suppose.
Anyone know any history on these?

What’s a good pipe tobacco I could buy locally to just try it out?

I appreciate any advice or info

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/7/2024 6:27:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: raygixxer89] [#1]
I have 2 Kaywoodie pipes that I inherited from my grandad, too. There was very little on the internet years ago when I researched them. They're great little pipes. Mine look almost new. Looks like your grandad enjoyed his.
ETA: I may have even started a thread here asking about them, lol.
Link Posted: 8/7/2024 7:46:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Stumbled across a Supergrain Kaywoodie at a flea market and was shocked to find out it was 70 years old.  Paid a dollar.  There is much history about these online, if you dig.  

I had mine restored.  You might consider that for yours.

My grandfather smoked cigars, so am jealous of your pipe.

Link Posted: 8/7/2024 8:19:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By d4xycrq:
Stumbled across a Supergrain Kaywoodie at a flea market and was shocked to find out it was 70 years old.  Paid a dollar.  There is much history about these online, if you dig.  

I had mine restored.  You might consider that for yours.

My grandfather smoked cigars, so am jealous of your pipe.

View Quote
There is now. These were called "drugstore pipes" .
Great value now, if you can find them. I like mine because the bowls are small. Makes fir a light pipe.
Link Posted: 8/7/2024 8:42:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By raygixxer89:
There is now. These were called "drugstore pipes" .
Great value now, if you can find them. I like mine because the bowls are small. Makes fir a light pipe.
View Quote

Yep, this Supergrain of mine is relatively tiny.  Octagonal #45.  

OP, forgot to mention;

1). Supergrain is a grading of the burl.  Nothing to do with the style.
2). Let your fingers do the walking, find a local tobacconist.  They will have a bewildering selection of tobaccos.  Captain Black is an old time codger tobacco.  Captain Black Royal is not bad.  But you’ll rarely get two smokers to agree on a tobacco.
3). That pipe needs some work.  It desperately needs to be reamed.  The stem is repairable, believe it or not.

Enjoy!
Link Posted: 8/8/2024 8:06:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By d4xycrq:

Yep, this Supergrain of mine is relatively tiny.  Octagonal #45.  

OP, forgot to mention;

1). Supergrain is a grading of the burl.  Nothing to do with the style.
2). Let your fingers do the walking, find a local tobacconist.  They will have a bewildering selection of tobaccos.  Captain Black is an old time codger tobacco.  Captain Black Royal is not bad.  But you’ll rarely get two smokers to agree on a tobacco.
3). That pipe needs some work.  It desperately needs to be reamed.  The stem is repairable, believe it or not.

Enjoy!
View Quote

Thank you!
Link Posted: 8/19/2024 7:12:55 PM EDT
[#6]
A little superfine steel wool will buff up that stem yellowing and smooth it out. I recently redid a deceased friend's pipe so I could enjoy it in his memory.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top