Link Posted: 1/13/2023 10:47:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 10:48:12 PM EDT
[#6]
That is fascinating and cool.......

.....  but they're laughing too hard.
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 10:55:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Well that is nothing short of completely fucking terrifying.
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 10:57:49 PM EDT
[#8]
RIP the queen of speed
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 11:00:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Grant was a cool dude, he's one of the few celebrity deaths that genuinely made me sad.
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 11:03:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Grant was a cool dude, he's one of the few celebrity deaths that genuinely made me sad.
View Quote

What happened to him ?   I never heard that story.

Link Posted: 1/13/2023 11:06:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Brain aneurysm. Couple years back.

RIP.
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 11:07:13 PM EDT
[#12]
I really liked that show
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 11:07:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Same here. Seemed like a great guy. Loved me some MythBusters back in the day.
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 11:07:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Physics wins
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 11:10:41 PM EDT
[#15]
I don't quite understand.  Was that a pressure suit?  It was soft, so it couldn't hold back pressure.  All it could do is keep the pressure inside from being lower than the pressure outside.  I would imagine that the valve system was simply to keep the suit "inflated."  Releasing the pressure would simply allow the suit to collapse on the meat man, which was already under the same pressure, since the suit was soft and couldn't hold back any pressure!  So what was putting the squeeze on meat man?  It was already experiencing the squeeze, since the suit was soft and wasn't capable of holding pressure back.

To reiterate:  A soft suit CANNOT hold back pressure.  If you're wearing a soft suit, you are always experiencing the full pressure of whatever depth you are at.  Which means you need time to adapt to your pressure, at certain depths  you will need an air mixture that is mostly a neutral gas like helium or else you will experience nitrogen or oxygen poisoning, and you will need time to depressurize to safely release gasses dissolved in your flesh.  But if you're already at pressure, what pressure was being released on the ship?  And what extra squeeze happened that crushed the meat-man's organs?  He was already under pressure!

IF HIS SUIT WAS INFLATED BY THE PUMP ON THE BOAT, RELEASING THE VALVE WOULD LOWER THE PRESSURE IN HIS SUIT!  NOT MAKE IT HIGHER!

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills!  Am I missing something huge?
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 11:24:33 PM EDT
[#16]
It was inflated by air pressure.
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 11:25:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Once the air is dumped then the water pressure pushes into the rigid helmet.
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 11:26:44 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I don't quite understand.  Was that a pressure suit?  It was soft, so it couldn't hold back pressure.  All it could do is keep the pressure inside from being lower than the pressure outside.  I would imagine that the valve system was simply to keep the suit "inflated."  Releasing the pressure would simply allow the suit to collapse on the meat man, which was already under the same pressure, since the suit was soft and couldn't hold back any pressure!  So what was putting the squeeze on meat man?  It was already experiencing the squeeze, since the suit was soft and wasn't capable of holding pressure back.

To reiterate:  A soft suit CANNOT hold back pressure.  If you're wearing a soft suit, you are always experiencing the full pressure of whatever depth you are at.  Which means you need time to adapt to your pressure, at certain depths  you will need an air mixture that is mostly a neutral gas like helium or else you will experience nitrogen or oxygen poisoning, and you will need time to depressurize to safely release gasses dissolved in your flesh.  But if you're already at pressure, what pressure was being released on the ship?  And what extra squeeze happened that crushed the meat-man's organs?  He was already under pressure!

IF HIS SUIT WAS INFLATED BY THE PUMP ON THE BOAT, RELEASING THE VALVE WOULD LOWER THE PRESSURE IN HIS SUIT!  NOT MAKE IT HIGHER!

View Quote

The air tube was putting pressure in the suit equal to the water pressure at depth. That keeps the suit at equilibrium. Your lungs have 14.7 PSI in them (roughly) currently, but the air outside is also the same pressure. No net difference. But, remove the pressure from the suit, and all that water pressure crushes the meat popsicle inside.
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 11:28:11 PM EDT
[#19]
My team at work responds to Delta-P diving accidents. I've seen fully suited divers (with their air tanks) sucked through an 8" pipe. Once you've seen that in-person, you really respect pressure
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 11:31:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Once the air is dumped then the water pressure pushes into the rigid helmet.
View Quote

No.  Just no.

It just doesn't work that way!

What is the air from the pump doing?  The only thing it could be doing is inflating the body suit.  The only way to do that is to have the pressure in the suit HIGHER than the ambient pressure of that depth in the ocean.  Which means that releasing the pressure would DECREASE the pressure that is being exerted on the body.

The rigid helmet means NOTHING if it is not connected to a rigid full-body suit.  It's like going for a spacewalk with a helmet, but just shorts and tee-shirt below it.  The helmet does nothing!
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 11:32:55 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

No.  Just no.

It just doesn't work that way!

What is the air from the pump doing?  The only thing it could be doing is inflating the body suit.  The only way to do that is to have the pressure in the suit HIGHER than the ambient pressure of that depth in the ocean.  Which means that releasing the pressure would DECREASE the pressure that is being exerted on the body.

The rigid helmet means NOTHING if it is not connected to a rigid full-body suit.  It's like going for a spacewalk with a helmet, but just shorts and tee-shirt below it.  The helmet does nothing!
View Quote

You need to go back to your physics homework...
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 11:33:00 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
My team at work responds to Delta-P diving accidents. I've seen fully suited divers (with their air tanks) sucked through an 8" pipe. Once you've seen that in-person, you really respect pressure
View Quote

How often do fatal accidents happen yearly?
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 11:33:00 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

As a public safety diver, delta P scares the shit out of me.
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 11:34:40 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

The air tube was putting pressure in the suit equal to the water pressure at depth. That keeps the suit at equilibrium. Your lungs have 14.7 PSI in them (roughly) currently, but the air outside is also the same pressure. No net difference. But, remove the pressure from the suit, and all that water pressure crushes the meat popsicle inside.
View Quote

No.  the suit that meat man was wearing was clearly a soft suit.  It cannot hold back pressure.  It can only contain pressure.  Which means that any pressure inside the suit must be equal or greater than the pressure outside the suit.  Releasing the pressure in the suit could only LOWER the pressure.  You cannot make it greater by releasing pressure!
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 11:35:25 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

Explain to me how a soft suit can hold back pressure.  Explain, if you understand this better than me.

In the video, it is clear that the suit is inflated.  When it supposedly shows the meat man at full 300f depth, the suit is clearly inflated.  That is only possible if the suit pressure is at about 150PSI+!  Otherwise the suit would be collapsed against meat mean's skin!
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 11:36:50 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

Almost all Delta-P accidents result in fatalities. Once the pressure has got you, it will not let go. Your body is the plug that is stopping it from equalizing.

We just covered this during our last OSHA compliance, but I believe it's a few dozen fatilities within the US annually. Globally, probably a lot more. A lot of 3rd world countries do not have the underwater safety standards that we have. Especially at their power plants.
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 11:37:17 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

I think the pressure in the the suit is maintained at or slightly above atmospheric.
As he descends the water pressure squeezes the suit to the tune of about 1 PSI every 27.7 inches he goes below the surface.
When the pressure is released in the suit at 300' he instantly experiences about 130 PSI  on his body, squishing him.
My math could be off, I'm not a scientist.
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 11:37:22 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 11:38:27 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Explain to me how a soft suit can hold back pressure.  Explain, if you understand this better than me.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nobody is claiming a soft suit can hold back pressure.

That’s kinda the point of the video.
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 11:40:34 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I think the pressure in the the suit is maintained at or slightly above atmospheric.
As he descends the water pressure squeezes the suit to the tune of about 1 PSI every 27.7 inches he goes below the surface.
When the pressure is released in the suit at 300' he instantly experiences about 130 PSI  on his body, squishing him.
My math could be off, I'm not a scientist.
View Quote

That is what they describe in the video.  However, this is simply impossible with a soft suit, which the video clearly shows the suit as being.  A soft suit can only contain a pressure equal or greater than the ambient pressure.  So at 300 feet, the suit cannot experience any lower than the ambient pressure at that depth, which is about 150PSI.  In order for the suit to be inflated, the suit must contain slightly higher than 150psi, or it would collapse.
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 11:42:04 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Nobody is claiming a soft suit can hold back pressure.

That’s kinda the point of the video.
View Quote

OK.  So what are they releasing in order to "crush" meat man's organs?  As you correctly pointed out, the meat man is already experiencing full pressure of the depth of 300 feet under the water, PLUS the pressure in the suit to inflate it (only a few PSI would do the job, so we can pretty much discount it as a factor), so what extra pressure is meat man experiencing after whatever pressure is released?  As you correctly pointed out, releasing pressure in the suit could only DECREASE the pressure exerted on meat man's body!
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 11:46:25 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I don't quite understand.

View Quote
Username checks out.
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 11:47:47 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Brain aneurysm. Couple years back.

RIP.
View Quote

Whaaaaat? Fuck!
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 11:47:53 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Username checks out.
View Quote

Explain to me what huge thing I'm missing.  How does a soft suit hold back pressure?  Otherwise, don't post as if you know what you're talking about.
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 11:48:53 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Explain to me what huge thing I'm missing.  How does a soft suit contain pressure?  Otherwise, don't post as if you know what you're talking about.
View Quote
The same way an inflated balloon does in your living room.
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 11:52:00 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

OK.  So what are they releasing in order to "crush" meat man's organs?  As you correctly pointed out, the meat man is already experiencing full pressure of the depth of 300 feet under the water, PLUS the pressure in the suit to inflate it (only a few PSI would do the job, so we can pretty much discount it as a factor), so what extra pressure is meat man experiencing after whatever pressure is released?  As you correctly pointed out, releasing pressure in the suit could only DECREASE the pressure exerted on meat man's body!
View Quote

Without a check valve on the helmet, the umbilical serves as conduit to the surface pressure. Water is denser than air, so the pressure pushes the contents of the suit into the hat and up the umbilical until equilibrium is reached.
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 11:52:30 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
The same way an inflated balloon does in your living room.
View Quote

A balloon contains HIGHER pressure than the ambient pressure.

At 300 feet below sea level, the ambient pressure is about 150psi.  Meat man's suit is the same as a balloon.  Therefore, to be inflated, it must contain a pressure HIGHER than 150PSI.  A release in pressure in the suit will LOWER the pressure exerted on meat man, not raise it.  This is not a difficult concept to understand, you even stated it in your post.
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 11:53:41 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Explain to me what huge thing I'm missing.  How does a soft suit hold back pressure?  Otherwise, don't post as if you know what you're talking about.
View Quote
take a ziploc bag.

fill it full of pudding.

close it.

twist it so it has pressure.

poke a hole in the side.

what happens?
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 11:54:52 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Without a check valve on the helmet, the umbilical serves as conduit to the surface pressure. Water is denser than air, so the pressure pushes the contents of the suit into the hat and up the umbilical until equilibrium is reached.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's kinda what I was thinking. Because that depth/pressure alone does not crush/kill someone. Saturation divers live/work at that pressure or greater for weeks at a time.
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 11:56:14 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

At 300 feet below sea level, the ambient pressure is about 150psi.  Meat man's suit is the same as a balloon.  Therefore, to be inflated, it must contain a pressure HIGHER than 150PSI.  A release in pressure in the suit will LOWER the pressure exerted on meat man, not raise it.  This is not a difficult concept to understand, you even stated it in your post.
View Quote
The balloon is sealed airtight. So is the suit.

Think of the suit as a ketchup packet with just a tiny corner torn off. Squeeze it really hard. What happens?
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 11:56:50 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Almost all Delta-P accidents result in fatalities. Once the pressure has got you, it will not let go. Your body is the plug that is stopping it from equalizing.

We just covered this during our last OSHA compliance, but I believe it's a few dozen fatilities within the US annually. Globally, probably a lot more. A lot of 3rd world countries do not have the underwater safety standards that we have. Especially at their power plants.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

24+ a year in a specialty field….yikes!
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 11:59:31 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote

The pressure inside the suit PUSHES BACK on the water pressure. A balloon in your living room IS higher pressure than ambient... and the rubber of the balloon is pushing back on the pressure inside. It all finds equilibrium. Just like your tires on your car. The PSI in the tire is meant to balance the pressure of the weight of the car on the tires.

air pressure---------->|suit|<---------water pressure

It's like a seesaw balancing on the membrane of the suit. Remove pressure from one side, the other side starts winning.
Link Posted: 1/14/2023 12:03:02 AM EDT
[#43]
so here is what ACTUALLY happens.

the diver is at depth, lets say 300 feet.

there is 300 feet of water between him and the surface.
there is 300 feet of air between him and the surface INSIDE THE AIR HOSE connected to his helmet. the air inside the hose is pressurized to match the pressure of the water at the divers depth, plus a few more psi so it will flow downward to the diver.
if there is a failure in the air system that causes the pressure to decrease in the air hose, now the water will try to flow into the hose. because the only opening there is for the water to enter the hose at is inside the suit, inside the helmet, the water will rush in that way, if the suit is sealed to the diver which it would be, then the divers flesh will be pushed on by the water column trying to get into that hose and rush back up it to displace the now lower pressure air.

300 feet of water generates a ballpark of 150psi. thats 150 psi trying to cram your flesh through the neck opening of the helmet.
Link Posted: 1/14/2023 12:05:21 AM EDT
[#44]
OK, I think I'm understanding it now.  There is no safety valve, no mechanism whatsoever, and when the pumps are turned off, the body is fully subjected to the water pressure at depth, connected to sea level pressure through the hose that no longer has a pump maintaining pressure.  If it weren't for that hose, everything would be fine for the diver (except he'd run out of air), but since it's connected to the surface with no safetly valves, the person at depth is suddenly exposed to sea level pressure?

OK, I admit I was wrong.  Not in science, but in understanding the mechanics of the suit and hose assembly.  I learned something today, both about deep sea diving apparatus and in hubris, I guess?  I made assumptions based on my knowledge, that, while they were "correct," blinded me to reaching a more basic understanding of what was actually going on.

A lesson in hubris is healthy.  Not fun, but critical to growth.  I apologize to anyone I talked down to, and for acting so smart and condescending when I was missing a critical piece of information that made me wrong.
Link Posted: 1/14/2023 12:06:50 AM EDT
[#45]
Is this the new airplane on a treadmill?
Link Posted: 1/14/2023 12:09:09 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Is this the new airplane on a treadmill?
View Quote
It's worse than that.

GD needs to watch a few dozen hours of Roadrunner and Coyote to learn about physics.
Link Posted: 1/14/2023 12:10:28 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
so here is what ACTUALLY happens.

the diver is at depth, lets say 300 feet.

there is 300 feet of water between him and the surface.
there is 300 feet of air between him and the surface INSIDE THE AIR HOSE connected to his helmet. the air inside the hose is pressurized to match the pressure of the water at the divers depth, plus a few more psi so it will flow downward to the diver.
if there is a failure in the air system that causes the pressure to decrease in the air hose, now the water will try to flow into the hose. because the only opening there is for the water to enter the hose at is inside the suit, inside the helmet, the water will rush in that way, if the suit is sealed to the diver which it would be, then the divers flesh will be pushed on by the water column trying to get into that hose and rush back up it to displace the now lower pressure air.

300 feet of water generates a ballpark of 150psi. thats 150 psi trying to cram your flesh through the neck opening of the helmet.
View Quote
Surprised nobody has mentioned google images and the Byford Dolphin.
Link Posted: 1/14/2023 12:19:06 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

Since there is already a SME here.

Is explosive decompression considered a Delta-P accident? @Im_Awake
Link Posted: 1/14/2023 12:19:56 AM EDT
[#49]
Pressure is nothing to fuck with:

Byford Dolphin Accident

ETA beat
Link Posted: 1/14/2023 12:21:18 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote

Byford Dolphin Accident: How Living Under Intense Pressure Led To One Of The Most Gruesome Accidents In History

Coward, Lucas, and Bergersen were exposed to the effects of explosive decompression and died in the positions indicated by the diagram. Investigation by forensic pathologists determined that Hellevik, being exposed to the highest pressure gradient and in the process of moving to secure the inner door, was forced through the crescent-shaped opening measuring 60 centimetres (24 in) long created by the jammed interior trunk door. With the escaping air and pressure, it included bisection of his thoracoabdominal cavity, which resulted in fragmentation of his body, followed by expulsion of all of the internal organs of his chest and abdomen, except the trachea and a section of small intestine, and of the thoracic spine. These were projected some distance, one section being found 10 metres (30 ft) vertically above the exterior pressure door.[3]:?95?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top