Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/17/2024 8:12:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Mr_Maim]
I have not painted a lexan body in decades, and I am not getting back into airbrushing.

I see that Tamiya now makes lexan specific spraypaint.

I have two lexan bodies to paint and I want to pant them in the colors the manufacturer models them in, from the three pics below. I'm going to do the fenders and roof in black like the orange truck.

Question: what do I back these colors with? When I used to airbrush I always backed with white or silver. Does that still apply to rattle can paints?

Link Posted: 8/18/2024 2:17:07 AM EDT
[#1]
White will brighten whatever color is first laid down. I usually do white then silver or black on top of that.
Link Posted: 8/18/2024 5:31:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By EvoXGunner:
White will brighten whatever color is first laid down. I usually do white then silver or black on top of that.
View Quote

Thank you! Any advice on how many layers of white before changing to silver or black?

I think I have figured out the colors:

Tamiya Polycarbonate PS-3 Light Blue
Tamiya Polycarbonate PS-34 Bright Red
Tamiya Polycarbonate PS-62 Pure Orange

Link Posted: 8/18/2024 6:35:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Just enough till it covers up the existing color, maybe 3 coats? That blue is closer to Tamiya PS30 I think.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/18/2024 6:37:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/18/2024 6:50:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Just enough till it covers up the existing color, maybe 3 coats? That blue is closer to Tamiya PS30 I think.
View Quote

Three coats. Noted thank you.

I think you might be right about the PS-30. I've looked at 100 paint samples online today and man does the color of the backing color make a difference. Picture below is PS-30, probably backed with white.

Link Posted: 8/18/2024 6:52:01 PM EDT
[#6]
NICE! Yep, that is exactly the shade I'm going for. I see you backed it with white (looking through the window to the inside of the door panel), correct?
Link Posted: 8/19/2024 1:13:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Mr_Maim:
NICE! Yep, that is exactly the shade I'm going for. I see you backed it with white (looking through the window to the inside of the door panel), correct?
View Quote

Yes for sure
Link Posted: 8/19/2024 2:50:35 AM EDT
[#8]

Yes for sure
View Quote

Cool. Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/8/2024 5:52:33 PM EDT
[#9]
We qc most bright solid colors over a light yellow primer. Most of the rest go over a medium gray.
Link Posted: 9/8/2024 6:19:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Mach1run:
We qc most bright solid colors over a light yellow primer. Most of the rest go over a medium gray.
View Quote
?? are you talking about painting the inside of clearexan RC car bodies?
Link Posted: 9/22/2024 7:28:40 PM EDT
[#11]
I typically do 4 light coats of color then 3-4 of white if I want it brighter or black if I want it darker.  I'm not a pro at it by any eans but my bodies have all looked good so far.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Mach1run:

It doesn't seem like he is since you start a lexan body with the color coat but you could do the opposite in reverse and get a similar outcome.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top