Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/30/2024 9:03:29 PM EDT
Howdy All,

Someone stole a small ladder in my back yard in the last couple of days.  Not a big financial hit but that means someone walked over 150 feet off the blacktop and into my back yard.  Not a good feeling.  Rural area.  Very quiet and peaceful, so things like this rarely happen.

So, and suggestions for a simple 3-camera system?

Hope to keep a budget of $500 or less.

CMOS
Link Posted: 8/30/2024 9:08:43 PM EDT
[#1]
I think simple, is going to be Arlo. Completely wireless, runs on batteries. You can get little solar panels that will keep them running without having to pull the batteries and charge them.

Pretty much just mount them up and download their app.

I’d recommend getting one of the “Pro” sets that has a base station, then you can put a flash drive in the base station for local storage of the video clips.

There are probably many many better options, but I think these may be the most simple as far as setup goes
Link Posted: 8/30/2024 9:12:39 PM EDT
[#2]
I have like 15 Blink cams in and out of my house. Not perfect, but being wireless is really nice.
Link Posted: 8/30/2024 9:18:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By AndBen:
I have like 15 Blink cams in and out of my house. Not perfect, but being wireless is really nice.
View Quote

Do you have data storage?

CMOS
Link Posted: 8/30/2024 9:20:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MarkBinSC] [#4]
I’ve been looking at this AOSU set on Amazon, on sale for $310 for 4 solar powered wireless cameras and a base station to store the video. Would be interested if anyone has experience with it.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CP7N488H/ref=syn_sd_onsite_desktop_0?ie=UTF8&pd_rd_plhdr=t&aref=JvVfqVHg8G&th=1
Link Posted: 8/30/2024 9:22:45 PM EDT
[#5]
REOLINK
Link Posted: 8/30/2024 9:25:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Colo303:
REOLINK
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 8/30/2024 9:31:58 PM EDT
[#7]
https://www.ar15.com/forums/Armory/Safes-andamp-Home-Security/46/

This forum might be better for you to look and or ask this type of question.
Link Posted: 8/30/2024 9:37:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Colo303:
REOLINK
View Quote

You can run Cat 5 or 6 and be done.
Link Posted: 8/30/2024 9:41:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By CMOS:

Do you have data storage?

CMOS
View Quote

With the sync module you can use a usb thumb drive for storage
Link Posted: 8/30/2024 9:41:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Reolink wireless user here.  Pretty happy with them.  Been using them for 2 years now.
Link Posted: 8/30/2024 11:15:15 PM EDT
[#11]
I had Blink cams up until about a year ago.  They were great, I used local storage on an SD card with their Sync module.  Then they went to subscription based.  No worries, I was grandfathered in?  Yeah, that didn't work out well.  Lost all connectivity to my Blink cams one day.  Tried and couldn't get them to connect.

Went way overboard and am now using Unifi cameras along with a UDMP router, UNVR with 8TB Hdds, etc.  But, all of my video footage is stored locally, Amazon sees none of it.
Link Posted: 8/31/2024 1:28:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Okay guys, I'm looking at these Reolinks on Amazon.

Help me understand what kind of "bundle" I need.  Suggestions?

LINK

CMOS
Link Posted: 9/1/2024 9:44:10 AM EDT
[#13]
Okay guys, I'm looking at these Reolinks on Amazon.

Help me understand what kind of "bundle" I need.  Suggestions?

LINK

CMOS
View Quote

Not sure what you mean by bundle. But I do have a couple of those in your link. You also need a data only sim card and the app. any alert you get is viewable thru the app. No real reason to save every alert caused be wasps, or cats.

The sim cards I use are a prepaid sim from eiot club. Also on Amazon.
Link Posted: 9/1/2024 2:18:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By chase237:

Not sure what you mean by bundle. But I do have a couple of those in your link. You also need a data only sim card and the app. any alert you get is viewable thru the app. No real reason to save every alert caused be wasps, or cats.

The sim cards I use are a prepaid sim from eiot club. Also on Amazon.
View Quote

This bundle comes with 2 SIMM cards.  

It also says "no Hub needed".

So is the above Bundle all I need?

CMOS
Link Posted: 9/1/2024 2:50:00 PM EDT
[#15]

CMOS
View Quote

Ok I see now. I think the mistake was mine. The cameras I have communicate via cellular which need a data only SIM card. They are located out in my barn with no Wi-Fi. They also have the sd card for recording alerts. The ones you linked to use Wi-Fi to communicate alerts. Same but different. SIM cards and SD cards are different things.

It appears they do not require a hub based on the description.  Also the auto tracking is pretty cool technology. So in a nutshell looks like what you linked here is a good start.
Link Posted: 9/1/2024 2:54:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Blink
Link Posted: 9/4/2024 11:02:35 AM EDT
[#17]

Ok I see now. I think the mistake was mine. The cameras I have communicate via cellular which need a data only SIM card. They are located out in my barn with no Wi-Fi. They also have the sd card for recording alerts. The ones you linked to use Wi-Fi to communicate alerts. Same but different. SIM cards and SD cards are different things.

It appears they do not require a hub based on the description.  Also the auto tracking is pretty cool technology. So in a nutshell looks like what you linked here is a good start.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

CMOS

Start?  Do I need anything else?

What I like about this bundle is the superior range of the night vision, 30 Meters (versus 3 Meters for the base unit).  I'm on a full acre so I want to be able to have the cameras reach out.

CMOS
Link Posted: 9/8/2024 10:43:39 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 9/8/2024 10:53:57 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Saker13:
I had Blink cams up until about a year ago.  They were great, I used local storage on an SD card with their Sync module.  Then they went to subscription based.  No worries, I was grandfathered in?  Yeah, that didn't work out well.  Lost all connectivity to my Blink cams one day.  Tried and couldn't get them to connect.

Went way overboard and am now using Unifi cameras along with a UDMP router, UNVR with 8TB Hdds, etc.  But, all of my video footage is stored locally, Amazon sees none of it.
View Quote

What???

I'm using blink right now without a subscription and local storage on the module. Works great and I still get notified of activity happening.
Link Posted: 9/8/2024 2:19:09 PM EDT
[#20]
Wireless cameras are hard pass these days with the proliferation of cheap jammers.  Y’all need to be wired.
Link Posted: 9/8/2024 8:14:17 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By GeorgiaBII:

What???

I'm using blink right now without a subscription and local storage on the module. Works great and I still get notified of activity happening.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By GeorgiaBII:
Originally Posted By Saker13:

What???

My sync module died, I think.  It stopped communicating with the app.  Since I am de-amazoning and de-googling my life I moved on without much troubleshooting.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top