Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/6/2020 4:58:31 PM EDT
Oops. Think of the paperwork.

Apache attack helicopter mistakenly opens fire at Suffolk army base
The helicopter fired a round as it was being wheeled out of a hangar at Wattisham Flying Station.

https://news.sky.com/story/apache-attack-helicopter-mistakenly-opens-fire-at-suffolk-army-base-12125224
Link Posted: 11/6/2020 5:00:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Wheeled out? Maybe an actual AD, and not negligence?
Link Posted: 11/6/2020 5:01:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 11/6/2020 5:02:02 PM EDT
[#3]
An inanimate object did that?
Is that kinda like when someone says “The gun just went off”?
Link Posted: 11/6/2020 5:04:07 PM EDT
[#4]
I wish I could be the government.

Be at home, get drunk.
Discharge rifle into wall or through glass.
Cops come.
Me: "I am aware of the incident and am currently investigating it. I have no further information at this time."
Cops: "Okay cool man"
Link Posted: 11/6/2020 5:06:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Be at home, get drunk.
Cops come.
Me: "I am aware of the incident and am currently investigating it. I have no further information at this time."
View Quote

Well, to be fair, if you have an ND in your armed-and-operational attack helicopter, the cops are probably going to be pretty damn polite about inquiring about it no matter who you are.

Link Posted: 11/6/2020 5:07:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Weight on Gear safety interlock?  I don't know how the Apache HW/SW is configured.
Link Posted: 11/6/2020 5:07:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Well, to be fair, if you have an ND in your armed-and-operational AH-64, the cops are probably going to be pretty damn polite about inquiring about it no matter who you are.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Be at home, get drunk.
Cops come.

Well, to be fair, if you have an ND in your armed-and-operational AH-64, the cops are probably going to be pretty damn polite about inquiring about it no matter who you are.

That's a fair point.

So.... Basically.... buy an Apache.
Link Posted: 11/6/2020 5:11:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Weight on Gear safety interlock?  I don't know how the Apache HW/SW is configured.
View Quote
The squat switches should prevent this kind of thing.
Link Posted: 11/6/2020 5:15:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Wait a minute.  Was this wiring harness supposed to be dangling like this?
Link Posted: 11/6/2020 5:18:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Be at home, get drunk.
Cops come.
View Quote
If I have a ND in my house no cops are coming unless I call them.

#ruralmasterrace
Link Posted: 11/6/2020 5:19:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

I have no idea how the cannon on the Apache works, but the mini-gun on our MH53 helicopters could fire--unintentionally--if someone rotated the barrel assembly, and there was a live round in one of the six chambers.  While it is an electrically-driven gun, rotating it manually still causes all of the 'actions' of firing the gun.  I spent a long night at Kirtland looking for a stray round unintentionally fired by a gunner who was rotating the barrels well after the helicopter had shut down, and there was no power applied to the aircraft.  It just had not been cleared after the gun run, and there was still one round in one of the chambers.
Link Posted: 11/6/2020 5:22:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

#ruralmasterrace
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Be at home, get drunk.
Cops come.

#ruralmasterrace

The ducks will rat you out.
Link Posted: 11/6/2020 5:35:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I have no idea how the cannon on the Apache works, but the mini-gun on our MH53 helicopters could fire--unintentionally--if someone rotated the barrel assembly, and there was a live round in one of the six chambers.  While it is an electrically-driven gun, rotating it manually still causes all of the 'actions' of firing the gun.  I spent a long night at Kirtland looking for a stray round unintentionally fired by a gunner who was rotating the barrels well after the helicopter had shut down, and there was no power applied to the aircraft.  It just had not been cleared after the gun run, and there was still one round in one of the chambers.
View Quote

I recall (last year or two) a mini-gun malfunctioned at a shooting range. A fellow was manually rotating the barrels from the muzzle to inspect them when one discharged into his dome. That's when i learned they were mechanically fired!
Link Posted: 11/6/2020 5:37:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I recall (last year or two) a mini-gun malfunctioned at a shooting range. A fellow was manually rotating the barrels from the muzzle to inspect them when one discharged into his dome. That's when i learned they were mechanically fired!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup.  I wonder if the rotary cannon on the 64 works off the same principle.
Link Posted: 11/6/2020 5:40:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Having a round go off, where there are not supposed to be rounds going off, will pucker you up for a bit.  
Link Posted: 11/6/2020 5:40:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

AH-64 doesn't have a rotary cannon.  It's a chain gun.
Link Posted: 11/6/2020 5:41:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Gotta say that would catch me by surprise.  
Link Posted: 11/6/2020 5:46:47 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

The M230 doesn't work that way, it is a chain gun, with electrically fired primers.  Unless it is in battery and an electric pulse is sent to initiate the primer it won't go off.  

This AD sounds like an electric malfunction.
Link Posted: 11/6/2020 5:53:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

The M230 doesn't work that way, it is a chain gun, with electrically fired primers.  Unless it is in battery and an electric pulse is sent to initiate the primer it won't go off.  

This AD sounds like an electric malfunction.
View Quote

You sure its electrically primed? The M242 has a firing pin.
Link Posted: 11/6/2020 6:10:53 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

#ruralmasterrace
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Be at home, get drunk.
Cops come.

#ruralmasterrace

I can vouch for the rural master race ....It's been pheasant season around here, and  all I've heard for like 2 weeks is gun shots from all over the valleys and farms for like 20 square miles.

Link Posted: 11/6/2020 6:15:14 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

Oh no dad, will the gun fire if we're still on the ground?

Kharn
Link Posted: 11/6/2020 6:19:04 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Oh no dad, will the gun fire if we're still on the ground?

Kharn
View Quote

A maverick missile will... Apparently.

Think you can handle the music?
Link Posted: 11/6/2020 6:20:18 PM EDT
[#23]
That site:

Link Posted: 11/6/2020 6:21:05 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

The ducks will rat you out.
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/6/2020 6:23:52 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

#ruralmasterrace
View Quote

Let me guess: you've had one before
Link Posted: 11/6/2020 6:24:59 PM EDT
[#26]
Duck narcs? Now I understand the gray duck Johnny Reno is always talking about.

Link Posted: 11/6/2020 6:26:31 PM EDT
[#27]
Hanger Pop
Link Posted: 11/6/2020 6:27:55 PM EDT
[#28]
MH53 at Hurlburt put a 50 cal round out across Gator Lakes Golf Course, from the ground, about seven o'clock one evening. Function check gone astray.

Posted this before...we qualified a new GACs troop on the 105mm boresite, and a couple of weeks later he did his first with a new 3-level in two. Gunship launched, got out over the range and fired. Dead quiet on the ship's intercom for about 30 seconds, and then a calm voice, "Did anybody see where that went?". They called knock-it-off and came home. Hotwash on that event was colorful.
Link Posted: 11/6/2020 6:36:49 PM EDT
[#29]
I guess that beats the A6 that accidentally ejected a drop tank on a campground outside of NAS OCEANA  back in the 80s. Or was it the one that dropped practice bombs on a campground near Disney park in Orlando. I remember both of those incidents back in the 80s.
Link Posted: 11/6/2020 6:37:59 PM EDT
[#30]
In 2018 a Belgian mechanic fired the cannon on an F16 into another F16, destroying it.
Link Posted: 11/6/2020 6:39:18 PM EDT
[#31]
How many people needed new underwear after that one?
Link Posted: 11/6/2020 6:41:31 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

According to the article, it has suffered a malfunction during a live-fire exercise the night before so could very well be a true AD.

Also from the article about a separate incident:
"A report by the UK Airprox Board deemed the collision risk was low 'because each captain was visual with the other aircraft'."

In normal-person speak, they could see each other.
Link Posted: 11/7/2020 3:59:59 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote
It might if it were a rotary cannon.

And if memory serves me, they're electrically fired.

Link Posted: 11/7/2020 4:06:28 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
In 2018 a Belgian mechanic fired the cannon on an F16 into another F16, destroying it.
View Quote

Oops
Link Posted: 11/7/2020 4:11:56 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My mistake, you are right—I had a Cobra pictured in my head.
Link Posted: 11/7/2020 4:14:12 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Be at home, get drunk.
Cops come.
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/7/2020 4:42:37 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

^^^^^^This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

One of the first questions we ask when doing a egress on  airframes, is there a weight on wheels safety. Answer is ALWAYS yes
Link Posted: 11/7/2020 4:56:42 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Oops
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oops

That’s a shitty day at work

Only one technician had hearing impairment

Wonder if the guy who fired it has an f16 sticker on his car to commemorate his kill.

But

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/7/2020 5:30:42 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 11/7/2020 11:14:35 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

#ruralmasterrace
View Quote

I live in the city/suburbs and if I have an ND in my house no cops are getting called unless I call them... because my neighbors don't ever seem to call the cops when I shoot on purpose in my house anyways.

#suppressedmasterrace
#basementbullettraplife
Link Posted: 11/7/2020 11:33:26 AM EDT
[#41]
In before a kid finds the expended round and the cops shut down the entire country to “investigate”.

Also, in before the investigation results in the banning of all sharp implements in England.

TC
Link Posted: 11/7/2020 11:47:16 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

That's a fair point.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Be at home, get drunk.
Cops come.

That's a fair point.

And have all your neighbors buy Apaches so you have an intimidatingly high fire superiority status.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top