Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/25/2020 7:08:15 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't want to put tap water in my vehicle. The fluoride will turn it gay.

Distilled only.

Also your neighbor sounds insufferable.
Link Posted: 6/25/2020 7:08:42 PM EDT
[#2]
The water tubes inside a radiator are pretty narrow. They could get all plugged up using hard tap water. If you flush the system regularly, it probably won't matter that much.

I only use distilled water, better yet if I have to add fluid, I use the 50/50 premixed stuff to top off. Not sure if built up scale inside a radiator will cause corrosion/leaks.

Link Posted: 6/25/2020 7:13:34 PM EDT
[#3]
OP, do you regularly fill your radiator with salt water?
Bottled water contains salt to make it taste better.
Link Posted: 6/25/2020 7:16:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Aquifina is reverse osmosis with out adding in minerals afterwards.
if it was Aquifina, drive on. In ways, it's better than distilled, but I would use either for radiator or battery.
if it was anything else, you might have well just used well water.

Jay
Link Posted: 6/25/2020 7:18:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I don't want to put tap water in my vehicle. The fluoride will turn it gay.

Distilled only.

Also your neighbor sounds insufferable.
View Quote

If you drive a Kia, it’s already gay....
Link Posted: 6/25/2020 7:20:15 PM EDT
[#6]
What’s the dealerships and mechanics use.... tap
Link Posted: 6/25/2020 7:27:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Toyota could build a much better Jeep than Fiat douchebag Chrysler whatever. Fuck the UAW, the vehicles they make all suck farts from infected buttholes.
Link Posted: 6/25/2020 7:31:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/25/2020 7:33:11 PM EDT
[#9]
I've been putting tap water in myself for almost half a century.....and I'm still running fine. I think your jeep will be good for another couple decades or so.

*edited because apparently I can't do words properly
Link Posted: 6/25/2020 7:33:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Tell him you normally use the blood of those that bother you, but since you've already topped it off with water, it's his lucky day and he will live to see another.
Link Posted: 6/25/2020 7:34:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Distilled water is correct, but I’m not the one having to “top off” my coolant system so what do I know...
View Quote

For real!  It’s a closed system.
Link Posted: 6/25/2020 7:35:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
It's a Jeep.  It comes pre-ruined from the factory.
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/25/2020 7:36:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Damn. That'll leave a mark.
Link Posted: 6/25/2020 7:37:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Hi OP. Your neighbor is wrong. Tap water can contain minerals that will deposit as scale. This not only
ruins the radiator but also will build up in the block and heads which also screws up heat transfer. This leads to
ADVENTURE as the vehicle overheats and fails at the most inopportune times. Obviously, since you own
a JEEP you are an adventure seeker...so capt know it all can be safely ignored.
Link Posted: 6/25/2020 7:37:43 PM EDT
[#15]
ROFL the way my last jeep leaked tap water was the least of the worries with it!   The oil level on the other hand was a real concern.
Link Posted: 6/25/2020 7:37:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 6/25/2020 7:42:21 PM EDT
[#17]
Don't use tap water up here, October could be expensive for you
Link Posted: 6/25/2020 7:52:38 PM EDT
[#18]
Distilled water (Or better yet  demineralized water if you can get it) is better for any heat exchanger, but at the pressure most auto radiators operate at you will be ok as long as you do regular maintenance.
I worked in a power plant that used demineralized water in the boiler (this was before the premixed coolant was available, i was told most premix coolant uses demint water), i was told by our chemist that it was great to use in a cars radiator, nothing scientific here but I noticed that when i mixed the demint water with the coolant it still looked good after a very long time.
Link Posted: 6/25/2020 7:53:17 PM EDT
[#19]
You probably live in the Phoenix area , lol
Edit: shoulda peed on his leg to establish dominance.
Link Posted: 6/25/2020 8:01:20 PM EDT
[#20]
Pics of said CJ-5
Link Posted: 6/25/2020 8:02:23 PM EDT
[#21]
I won't put unfiltered tap water into anything here. The water is so full of minerals that it wrecks shit. I've had coffee pots, pressure washers, small evap coolers, not last a year when using tap water without plugging up.
Link Posted: 6/25/2020 8:08:08 PM EDT
[#22]
hasnt anybody mentioned tap water could contain minerals or the wrong pH, which could cause intake/head gaskets to deteriorate quicker?

may not with a jeep, but i know some cars are sensitive for that issue.
Link Posted: 6/25/2020 8:12:35 PM EDT
[#23]
But did you ask him if his name is Karen?
Link Posted: 6/25/2020 8:13:56 PM EDT
[#24]
You'll have a tough time getting scale to form if you use distilled.  Going to be a lot easier to make scale with tap water depending on where you live.  

I have to descale my coffee pot every couple months if I use tap water and pretty much never if I use RO water.  300 ppm dissolved stuff vs 15ppm after it goes through the RO.

Distilled is the better choice.
Link Posted: 6/25/2020 8:14:12 PM EDT
[#25]
Well you probably should use distilled water. But it's one of the things where does just topping it off really matter?
Link Posted: 6/25/2020 8:14:47 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 6/25/2020 8:17:10 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/25/2020 8:40:47 PM EDT
[#28]
He is correct. I'm anal about using distilled water in the rad since I have to maintain it. I'm pretty hard on my Jeep too.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top