Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/15/2022 10:58:24 AM EDT
Going to be ordering a Liberty safe soon, the USA model 48 gun capacity.

I know it's going to be tight with firearms and household documents.

The question is what do you do with all the mags? AR mags are easy enough to identify but all the handgun mags, 9, 40s, 45s they all have a tendency to look the same after a while.

How do you store and organize them?
Link Posted: 9/15/2022 11:02:51 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

The question is what do you do with all the mags? AR mags are easy enough to identify but all the handgun mags, 9, 40s, 45s they all have a tendency to look the same after a while.

View Quote
In marked ammo cans with my range gear.  Not in my safe.
Link Posted: 9/15/2022 11:05:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

View Quote
I use .50 cal ammo cans for pistol mags.
Link Posted: 9/15/2022 11:06:29 AM EDT
[#3]
I leave mags and ammo out in ammo cans or drawers, guns and documents go in the safe
Link Posted: 9/15/2022 11:06:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Ammo cans, boxes, stacked on a shelf, etc.

Also if you're already gonna have issues with space, you're gonna want a bigger safe
Link Posted: 9/15/2022 11:06:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Not in a safe.

I have a 4 drawer toolbox that stores my most commonly used mags, with 3 or 4 types per drawer.  Backups and go mags are elsewhere.  

ETA:

Link Posted: 9/15/2022 11:07:37 AM EDT
[#6]
AR mags, only a handful in the safe.  Pistol mags, small sterilite "1961" bins with labels.

Link Posted: 9/15/2022 11:08:17 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
In marked ammo cans with my range gear.  Not in my safe.
View Quote

FPNI.  Amazing!
Link Posted: 9/15/2022 11:09:07 AM EDT
[#8]
Have a very old, heavy file cabinet just for my mags and other random gear.
Link Posted: 9/15/2022 11:09:36 AM EDT
[#9]
I mark all my magazines with a paint pencil, my initials and number, that makes it easier to collect my magazines after a match and put aside a malfunctioning mag.
You can add a gun make and model and caliber or whatever.
Link Posted: 9/15/2022 11:09:55 AM EDT
[#10]
One safe for mags
One safe for ammo
One safe for guns

Link Posted: 9/15/2022 11:10:40 AM EDT
[#11]
In a metal lockable cabinet with Akro bins with labels on them.

Link Posted: 9/15/2022 11:14:41 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I mark all my magazines with a paint pencil, my initials and number, that makes it easier to collect my magazines after a match and put aside a malfunctioning mag.
You can add a gun make and model and caliber or whatever.
View Quote

Similar, I use a black sharpie. You can see it easy but its subtle. I have mesh hanging shoe holders for mags. Either on the back of the door or I have mine paracord'd to the end of my wire shelves in the gun room.
Link Posted: 9/15/2022 11:31:11 AM EDT
[#13]
My bad.
To clarify, mags and ammo will not go into safe.

Ammo has it's own room/space.
Link Posted: 9/15/2022 11:32:51 AM EDT
[#14]
Many good ideas here. Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/15/2022 11:34:55 AM EDT
[#15]
Parts bins from Home Depot
Link Posted: 9/15/2022 11:37:16 AM EDT
[#16]
two of these

I have two of these hanging next to one of my safes. Each row or two is a different manufacturer (Glock, HK, S&W, 1911, Ruger etc).

Then I have cases of AR and AK mags in boxes.

Then I have loaded AR and AK mags in 50 call ammo cans that have 556 or 762 marked on them.

Then I have plastic 30 cal ammo cans with PCC mags. Marked MPX, Scorpion, Colt, 22lr.
Link Posted: 9/15/2022 11:41:27 AM EDT
[#17]
My house was robbed once. They did not get into the safe. Allmost all my ammo and magazines were in a locked steel storage cabinet. They popped the lock on that and took it all.
Insurance would not pay for shit as i did not have an itemized list of every magazine and box of ammo, and I did not have any way to prove what I had.
My bad, I know. But who has a list of every magazine, ammo, knives, etc?
Link Posted: 9/15/2022 11:41:53 AM EDT
[#18]
5 gallon buckets and .50 ammo cans, with good seals and desiccant packs.
Link Posted: 9/15/2022 12:06:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
AR mags, only a handful in the safe.  Pistol mags, small sterilite "1961" bins with labels.

https://th.bing.com/th/id/OIP.eKGMNiprhQN-CBZadCmoZgHaHa?w=181&h=182&c=7&r=0&o=5&pid=1.7
View Quote
I bought a bunch of the big version of these bins from Target.  They go under the spare beds.  Two have brass, two have miscellaneous gun junk, and one has a stash of new in box SHTF mags.

OP, it sounds like you know already that you didn't buy a large enough safe.  Start planning for a second one, it is inevitable.

I keep some ammo and most mags in the safe.  I can't recommend boxes, because they stopped making the ones that were the perfect size for pistol mags.  Boxes are in red, AR mags on top shelf:

The pistol racks are simple dinnerware/plate racks from Target.
Link Posted: 9/15/2022 12:09:43 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
My house was robbed once. They did not get into the safe. Allmost all my ammo and magazines were in a locked steel storage cabinet. They popped the lock on that and took it all.
Insurance would not pay for shit as i did not have an itemized list of every magazine and box of ammo, and I did not have any way to prove what I had.
My bad, I know. But who has a list of every magazine, ammo, knives, etc?
View Quote
A camera makes for a great "list".  Take stills and video, include name plates and serial numbers.  Place SD card in safe.  Do this with any high value things, including electronics.  
Link Posted: 9/15/2022 12:32:29 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote
I have a big ass, metal, 2 door, locking cabinet, like you might find in a garage or an office.
It has 5 shelves. The left of each shelf has about 6 (stacked two high x 3 wide)of those large yellow bins, each labeled Model Gun and Caliber.
The right side of each shelf is stacked with boxes of ammo for those mags.
The very bottom shelf is stacked with 30 and 50call ammo cans of ammo, I bought years ago when ammo was more findable and much cheaper.

Next to that is a 5 Shelf unit, open shelf that I bought from Lowe's. It has reloading Books and stuff and a few cases of ammo as well.
The rest of the wall is a large work/reloading bench.

Link Posted: 9/15/2022 12:38:46 PM EDT
[#22]
Most of my handgun mags are in the bins one would see filled with screws etc at a hardware store. They are stacked 3 high the width of the safe at the back of the upper shelf.

I have a couple of loaded rifle mags in a drawer that hangs under the shelf. The rest won’t fit.
Link Posted: 9/15/2022 12:49:48 PM EDT
[#23]
I keep mine in Craftsman plastic bins that have the latching handles. I have Husky shelving and when I put it together I made sure the bottom shelf was high enough off the floor that I can stick them under there or some go on the top shelf.
Link Posted: 9/15/2022 12:59:06 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

https://th.bing.com/th/id/OIP.eKGMNiprhQN-CBZadCmoZgHaHa?w=181&h=182&c=7&r=0&o=5&pid=1.7
View Quote

@Moxy. I concur

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/15/2022 1:04:52 PM EDT
[#25]
Most rifles and all my pistols in safe are loaded and have at least a couple more loaded mags with them. All the rest of mags, ammo elsewhere in ammo cans.
I paint marker the bottom of pistol mags to make the "roll mark" stand out, each different mag is a different color.
Rifle mags are easy to identify by appearance.
Link Posted: 9/15/2022 1:14:31 PM EDT
[#26]
Are you labeling the individual pistol mags? If so, how?

If I was to dump these in one big pile on the floor, although I'd be able to eventually sort them out, in an emergency I'd be screwed.
Link Posted: 9/15/2022 1:21:35 PM EDT
[#27]
10 gallon metal tubs in the closet and 7 gallon totes get most of the mags. Couple loaded mags on the safe for the firearm easiest to grab.
Link Posted: 9/15/2022 1:22:26 PM EDT
[#28]
Mags, ammo, gear, doodads, thingamajigs, etc get stored outside the safe.  Bins, ammo cans, plastic totes, whatever.
Link Posted: 9/15/2022 1:23:06 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
One safe for mags
One safe for ammo
One safe for guns

View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/15/2022 1:24:08 PM EDT
[#30]
I bought magnets designed to hold magazines and they are on the stuck to the walls of security cabinet next to the safe that I usually keep a 22LR and an AR in for quicker access than the safe.
Link Posted: 9/15/2022 1:26:37 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
One safe for mags
One safe for ammo
One safe for guns

View Quote

This is the way.
Link Posted: 9/15/2022 1:33:15 PM EDT
[#32]
door organizers, and ammo cans. 20mm cans hold around 80 usgi / pmags.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/15/2022 1:42:45 PM EDT
[#33]
I found some large molle panel sheets on amazon, wife helped sew up a panel to cover the inside door of safe.  I use shock cord to bungee extra mags to safe door.  It can hold a lot of mags.  

Also replaced all my shelves in my liberty safe with 3/4 plywood covered in speaker fabric and put magnetic tool holders on the bottom of the shelves to hold even more mags.
Link Posted: 9/15/2022 1:43:34 PM EDT
[#34]
I have soft cases for most of my pistols that also have multiple spots for mags and I just keep them in the safe with an I.D. tag (the little 1" square tags with a string). If I needed extra room I could just leave the cases on a shelf with the mags in it but I like having them together and not scratching up the pistols with them loose in the safe.
Link Posted: 9/15/2022 1:44:28 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Are you labeling the individual pistol mags? If so, how?

If I was to dump these in one big pile on the floor, although I'd be able to eventually sort them out, in an emergency I'd be screwed.
View Quote

Different color paint markers. Glocks I don't paint, they look much different than my others.
Link Posted: 9/15/2022 2:01:30 PM EDT
[#36]
I have most of them in these foot locker type boxes, I keep some locked in the safe so I have some if anything happens to my stash.

I need to go through them, has to be 500+ of all kinds

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/15/2022 2:23:53 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Also replaced all my shelves in my liberty safe with 3/4 plywood covered in speaker fabric and put magnetic tool holders on the bottom of the shelves to hold even more mags.
View Quote

The gray felt from Hobby Lobby was an exact match for the shelves in my Liberty safe.
Link Posted: 9/15/2022 2:34:05 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

The gray felt from Hobby Lobby was an exact match for the shelves in my Liberty safe.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I should have looked there.  I got the speaker fabric from Amazon, its darker than the inside walls, but when the LED lights are on, they magically match.  Also if you use spray Elmer's craft glue and follow the permanent instructions it works great.   I covered the magnets with the same speaker cover and it keeps the mags off the metal, but still has plenty of hold.
Link Posted: 9/15/2022 2:35:41 PM EDT
[#39]
Pistol mags, moon clips and speedloaders are stored in custom metal trays on the inside of the door. Rifle mags are stored in an “ammo locker” but I keep a half dozen handy using these brackets attached inside the door for immediate access.
Link Posted: 9/15/2022 5:11:08 PM EDT
[#40]
My magazine storage used to be reasonable many years ago, but it now challenges my creative storage ideas as the number of mags increased over the years into several hundred. Considering the cost of some mags (like HKs and some AKs), the investment can be considerable, so I see them having as much value as the guns. For that reason, I store them in safes, not in metal cabinets or anything someone can easily break into (thin wall cabinets) or walk off with (tool box). I'm not too organized with the storage though, so I put them anywhere I find space and in whatever container works. As for telling them apart, I've never had a problem looking at a mag and knowing what gun they go to.

My AK mags sit in three plastic containers at the bottom of my AK safe. Not pretty but it does the job. I have segregated them by AK/AKM, AK-74, and STG (5.56mm) though . The plastic containers are pretty much maxed out so I inserted one mag into each Ak to save more storage space.

Most of my AR, MP5, Uzi and most pistol mags are in an Amazon box and a shoe box in another safe. Again, not pretty.

The remaining pistol mags are below shelves I added to the bottom of this safe, in some of my wife's Tupperware that she doesn't know I repurposed. They're pushed to the back at the bottom so you can't see them. I then had to add a shoe box behind the smaller pistol shelf. In some cases, I started inserting at least one mag into each rifle or PCC to give me more room in the boxes.
Link Posted: 9/15/2022 5:15:03 PM EDT
[#41]
My heap? Gets stored in a secure loaction.

The only mags I keep out are one for each gun, for if I take it to the range. If a handgun or rifle other than my CCW or bedstandgun would be a grabber, I keep two loaded mags marked with red electrical tape on the shelf where that particular gun is stored.

Link Posted: 9/15/2022 5:38:26 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
My magazine storage used to be reasonable many years ago, but it now challenges my creative storage ideas as the number of mags increased over the years into several hundred. Considering the cost of some mags (like HKs and some AKs), the investment can be considerable, so I see them having as much value as the guns. For that reason, I store them in safes, not in metal cabinets or anything someone can easily break into (thin wall cabinets) or walk off with (tool box). I'm not too organized with the storage though, so I put them anywhere I find space and in whatever container works. As for telling them apart, I've never had a problem looking at a mag and knowing what gun they go to.

My AK mags sit in three plastic containers at the bottom of my AK safe. Not pretty but it does the job. I have segregated them by AK/AKM, AK-74, and STG (5.56mm) though . The plastic containers are pretty much maxed out so I inserted one mag into each Ak to save more storage space.
https://i.imgur.com/y9Sefok.jpg

Most of my AR, MP5, Uzi and most pistol mags are in an Amazon box and a shoe box in another safe. Again, not pretty.
https://i.imgur.com/GuQcmpP.jpg

The remaining pistol mags are below shelves I added to the bottom of this safe, in some of my wife's Tupperware that she doesn't know I repurposed. They're pushed to the back at the bottom so you can't see them. I then had to add a shoe box behind the smaller pistol shelf. In some cases, I started inserting at least one mag into each rifle or PCC to give me more room in the boxes.
https://i.imgur.com/7yCg4M8.jpg
View Quote

You are one OCD MFer.  And I like it.  
Link Posted: 9/15/2022 8:16:44 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I have most of them in these foot locker type boxes, I keep some locked in the safe so I have some if anything happens to my stash.

I need to go through them, has to be 500+ of all kinds

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/132244/DECCEA02-4BFC-4F14-9F77-6AE49AE9D92B_jpe-2527156.JPG
View Quote

Could use a few more mags, I think there's some crevices they can fit into .
Link Posted: 9/15/2022 8:21:03 PM EDT
[#44]
I out grew safes long time ago. Now the gun room needs to expand...

It never ends.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top