Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 11:20:19 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Great riot control there, just stick them in the doorway and they are not movable, adipose armor saves all the essential organs from stabbing.
The one in the middle looks like he needs to be kept away from the morgue.
View Quote

I don't know, he may be a sumo wrestler.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 11:27:51 AM EDT
[#2]
started at $12/hour in 2003, $40 now
it's the unlimited overtime that lets you pick just how much you want to earn
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 11:29:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Some  of them would never pass a  test in CT to be a correction officer .

The pay and benefits must really suck if they have to search for the bottom of the barrel to hire people .

View Quote

Our director recently testified to Congress that we are competing with fast food joints for potential staff.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 11:46:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
started at $12/hour in 2003, $40 now
it's the unlimited overtime that lets you pick just how much you want to earn
View Quote

I did a few years as a CO and the OT was paid in comp time.  There was a law suit over that after I left and they went to OT.
It was a mostly shitty job in county jail, I landed it due to the fact all the previous jailers were fired for introducing contraband.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 11:52:54 AM EDT
[#5]
Most of the new staff we get are obese but we do have a fair amount of fit younger guys. Lots of prior mil that are usually decent.

The 20+ year staff are generally obese.

Doc in my state pays well (topped out officer is 87k base)
Benefits package is decent
Retirement isn’t as good as it once was but it’s still a pension
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 1:20:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
that is true, no offense but don't they have physical standards or will some of them be administrative work and not actually working with inmates?
View Quote

I’d imagine a lot of standards were lowered because of low unemployment. I’ve never met a happy corrections officer. Compound that with plenty of good paying jobs… I am not disregarding their fitness, just realizing that they are in for a hard job. The weight situation won’t help.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 1:38:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 1:39:37 PM EDT
[#8]
WI academy?
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 1:48:10 PM EDT
[#9]
View Quote

Checkout their FB page.

They post a shift summary of their patrol calls every day. It’s adorable.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 2:16:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
"Do you have baked goods hidden in your cell? Don't lie to me I can smell them."

View Quote

LMAO
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 2:25:53 PM EDT
[#11]
All across the country many prison systems were experiencing high vacancy rates.  Basically they will take anyone who does not have a criminal background

We are hiring people we would not have hired 10 years ago just to improve our staffing

The crisis is easing in my state but 5 prisons still have vacancy rates in staff of over 40 percent
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 2:32:44 PM EDT
[#12]
So there are really are no physical fitness standards whatsoever.

Is it a union job with 3/4 pension if they go out early for an injury or for medical reasons?

Link Posted: 4/12/2024 2:38:10 PM EDT
[#14]
I know who will be volunteering for Culinary duty.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 2:46:14 PM EDT
[#15]

Damn how does that guy fold towels

Link Posted: 4/12/2024 2:48:15 PM EDT
[#16]
They’re all on their way to get sleeve tats now.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 2:49:54 PM EDT
[#17]
6, 2, 3, 1, 5, 8, 10, 9, 7, 4, 12,11.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 2:50:15 PM EDT
[#18]
Yeah that looks like a group of people with no other options.  Someones gotta do the job though so good on them.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 2:50:17 PM EDT
[#19]
It's a mostly shit job that is really boring on a good day and dangerous on a bad one. They take what they can get.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 2:52:12 PM EDT
[#20]
Do any two of those uniforms match?
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 2:54:03 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
21 years on the job, retiring in June. 58 years old, 6'2" and 195 lbs.

The last several training classes have been the worst physical specimens in all my time in this field. Morbid obesity is not uncommon. Worse, none of these 20 somethings have the character to work this job. Last week one of the Lieutenants watched a new officer get shoulder checked by an inmate in the housing unit he was working. The 20 something CO apologized to the inmate. My generation dumps that guy and cuffs him without hesitation, new generation of low t beta cucks apologizes.

It's like everything else we see in the world. My generation raised a soft generation, and we're going to have to suffer through them figuring it out before it gets better.
View Quote

I did that job for a while. It's not an enviable one.

I am doing my best not to. I have a small boy now. He has flat out asked me why I'm so hard on him (because he's 'just a kid'), and I told him that my job is not to teach him to be a kid, but to teach him what he needs to be a man. Too many people don't recognize that as a parent's job, or they don't know themselves.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 3:15:54 PM EDT
[#22]
A couple or three of them are going to have a heart-attack, never make it to the Code Red to back you up.

99.9999% of the time, its your mouth and mind that resolve conflicts, just Horses Asses Carrying Keys.....H.A.C.Ks.

But that 00.0001% when the shit goes down, you need people who can fight.

My incident, I responded down to our 2nd floor from third because one of our deputies was having trouble with a muslim inmate in 23 hour lock down, over a nickel's worth of peanut butter.     When the time came to go into the 2-man cell to forcibly remove the inmate, the floor deputy who owned that ward was near the back of the stack. Me being a bigger dude carrying one of the two Tasers was No Tackle on that cell extraction.  We speed crank opened the cell door, fired 2 Tasers at the inmate, human batterying ram, ended up in a heap between the welded iron bunk beds on left and the combination commode/wash basin on the right, me immediately on top the inmate maintaining control of Taser #1 while he continued to resist.   Two other deputies tried going overtop me to reach his wrists to cuff him up, blew out the two lowest discs on my spine.

Over a nickel's worth of peanut butter.

Now I'm the 3/4 Million Dollar Man just in medical expenses and legal stuff, spine ruined for life.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 3:17:05 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Do any two of those uniforms match?
View Quote

They are different agencies.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 3:34:03 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Last week one of the Lieutenants watched a new officer get shoulder checked by an inmate in the housing unit he was working. The 20 something CO apologized to the inmate.
View Quote

@DrRockso  Did the new guy and the Lieutenant have a nice chat about that?
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 3:36:13 PM EDT
[#25]
tough job -- i certainly appreciate what they do for society (COs in general)

i wish them the best

Link Posted: 4/12/2024 3:39:18 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

at the very least I hope Lt crawled up that officer's Sgt's ass for it. Most of the bad CO'ing I see is the result of bad Sgt'ing.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 3:40:47 PM EDT
[#27]
They look like food
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 3:43:10 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
That one guy has a really unfortunate neck situation.
View Quote

Uh...I think it is more than his neck but yeah its kinda telling.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 3:47:29 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

at the very least I hope Lt crawled up that officer's Sgt's ass for it. Most of the bad CO'ing I see is the result of bad Sgt'ing.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Goes for pretty much every field I suppose.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 3:48:49 PM EDT
[#30]
I'll say one thing about neck guy, the look on his face says he's either walking evil or a lot of fun. Maybe both.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 4:01:08 PM EDT
[#31]
Prisons need to be more like the 30's and 40's.   Where inmates fear the CO's.   It's a matter of time before there is a large-scale prison riot, resulting in the murder of male CO's and the gang-rape / torture of female CO's when everyone stands outside next to the TV cameras.  

Just like in 3rd world countries, but with better food.  

Link Posted: 4/12/2024 4:07:00 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I suspect some of them are going to get hurt, and the people putting them in that position apparently don't care. It's a dangerous enough job for a fit person. Some of those folks look like they'd have a heart attack running up a flight of stairs.
View Quote

This exact scenario will likely play out....I've seent it happen with my very own eyes....some new cadets/officers have never been in a verbal or physical altercation in there lives and they are being placed in with society's most dangerous people who are masters of manipulation and have been living a fight to the death life since they could walk....fish in a shark tank is an understatement....
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 4:11:21 PM EDT
[#33]
Maybe Epstein died of high cholesterol.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 4:12:10 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Prisons need to be more like the 30's and 40's.   Where inmates fear the CO's.   It's a matter of time before there is a large-scale prison riot, resulting in the murder of male CO's and the gang-rape / torture of female CO's when everyone stands outside next to the TV cameras.  

View Quote

It's happened before, New Mexico comes to mind.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 4:14:15 PM EDT
[#35]
I wonder if that county requires you do X years as a corrections deputy before you can become a road deputy, or if the fit ones are too young to apply directly for a road deputy position.

Kharn
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 4:18:31 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote
Disagree.

But prisons shouldn't be a social event. They have become crime schools. If you go to prision you should be locked up on your own, with just a couple hours a day under highly supervised human interaction, then back in the cell.

This 'general population' social event has to end.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 4:20:59 PM EDT
[#37]
I worked with some fantastic squared away individuals during my career in corrections. And I also worked with some of the dumbest, lazy, incompetent SOBs.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 4:24:50 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

This exact scenario will likely play out....I've seent it happen with my very own eyes....some new cadets/officers have never been in a verbal or physical altercation in there lives and they are being placed in with society's most dangerous people who are masters of manipulation and have been living a fight to the death life since they could walk....fish in a shark tank is an understatement....
View Quote

I was 22 when I started in the jail and had been a street cop for a little while prior. Being tossed into that shark tank is an education that you don’t recognize the value of, until much later. It forces you to learn to talk to people.  The cops or deputies that I know are all better for it, even though it sucked at the time.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 4:28:53 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
That one guy has a really unfortunate neck situation.
View Quote

It doesn't mean he can't score babes with a neck like that....although doing so in a correctional setting could be a quick career ending move (and land you on the other side of the bars).

Can't forget Big Ed from 90 Day Fiancé.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 4:54:22 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Our last class had our first tranny.

Someone also wore sweatpants one day and wasn't reprimanded for it.

View Quote
Which facility? Not surprised. State has been struggling getting people in the door for a while.

Link Posted: 4/12/2024 5:55:10 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I was 22 when I started in the jail and had been a street cop for a little while prior. Being tossed into that shark tank is an education that you don’t recognize the value of, until much later. It forces you to learn to talk to people.  The cops or deputies that I know are all better for it, even though it sucked at the time.
View Quote

You have 2 choices....sink or swim. IPC skills are a real thing.....problem is that most youths do not possess that skill. They're only interact ion with others is online playing video games.... Now insert that non confrontational introvert dweeb into the extreme violence of security level 3 or higher prison where the new officers are face to face with convicted killers and the most violent humans society has....its not a good scenario....The 2 to 3 days of self defense training recieved during there couple week pre service training at a correction academy prior to them manning a post is dangerous for everyone working there. I pray they have mad IPC skills.....
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 7:37:43 PM EDT
[#42]
Looks like tha 'Beetus is a requirement for the candidates.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 9:08:24 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
that is true, no offense but don't they have physical standards or will some of them be administrative work and not actually working with inmates?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Good on them for stepping up to the plate to work a miserable job.

I worked with a guy that had to be at least 400lbs, probably a lot more.  We had a couple guys that liked to fight and were good at it but mostly it’s just regular people.  If you can do a pat down and search a cell that’s as fit as you need to be.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 9:09:53 PM EDT
[#44]
For what they get paid, that's what I would expect.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 9:17:54 PM EDT
[#46]
Attachment Attached File

Okay what is going on here
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 9:18:18 PM EDT
[#47]

Do you smell what The Rock is cooking?
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 9:21:15 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Which facility? Not surprised. State has been struggling getting people in the door for a while.

View Quote

Feds
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 9:23:25 PM EDT
[#49]
Is that regular academy or CERT academy?
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 9:25:14 PM EDT
[#50]
Prison is a good place for AI robots to be CO
Don’t care about anything, no fear.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top