BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/22/2020 11:11:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

You don't need a really big bomb when your CEP is under 100 meters.

Additionally you have to cube the yield to double the destructive power of nukes.  At a certain point it just becomes more economical to add another RV with another warhead.

14 x 1 megaton warheads will put just as much area under a 5 PSI ring as a single 57 megaton warhead will, with an overall greater chance of mission success.
View Quote

Above a certain size, it's pointless to go any bigger, because more and more of the energy from the explosion just goes off into space, since at some point, straight up becomes the path of least resistance.
Link Posted: 8/22/2020 11:41:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Above a certain size, it's pointless to go any bigger, because more and more of the energy from the explosion just goes off into space, since at some point, straight up becomes the path of least resistance.
View Quote

Apparently the fireball from the Tsar Bomba didn't even touch the ground because it bumped into its own shock wave.  So a lot of energy was left on the table so to speak.
Link Posted: 8/23/2020 4:48:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

While I'm no sure of the numbers or in any position to have an opinion on them, just about all the literature on this states it was very clean for a nuclear device.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Insignificant radiation even in the center of the site?

Quality Soviet radiation testing equipment?

Instruments showed 3.6 roentgens per hour.

Not great, not terrible.

While I'm no sure of the numbers or in any position to have an opinion on them, just about all the literature on this states it was very clean for a nuclear device.

You're delusional.

Take him to the infirmary
Link Posted: 8/23/2020 6:24:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Nazi glass no doubt.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Soviets had plenty of nice cameras AND glass.

Not refined, but plenty good.

Nazi glass no doubt.

Probably East German at that point.
Link Posted: 8/23/2020 6:32:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

The scientist who worked or it deliberately dialed it down to 50 instead of 100 megatons.  He was afraid of what 100 megatons could do.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Too bad they didn't go for the full 100 MT.

The scientist who worked or it deliberately dialed it down to 50 instead of 100 megatons.  He was afraid of what 100 megatons could do.

And now we'll never know.

Link Posted: 8/23/2020 6:39:12 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

I didn't watch the whole thing yet but did catch that part. Did they explain why there was so little radiation? Was it the type of bomb that made this possible?
Link Posted: 8/23/2020 7:09:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I'm impressed by the quality of some of the footage. It looks great for being 70 years old. I wasn't under the impression that the soviets had that great of cameras and film. Was I wrong? Foreign equipment? Modern processing?
View Quote

Hollywood film tech.
Link Posted: 8/23/2020 7:18:15 AM EDT
[#8]
Has technology advanced enough to get that kind of yield in a smaller package ?

I don't know shit about hydrogen or nuclear bombs except that the technology is amazing and they fuck shit up

I am afraid to Google how to build a hydrogen bomb because I might get a visit from the feds
Link Posted: 8/23/2020 7:35:22 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I didn't watch the whole thing yet but did catch that part. Did they explain why there was so little radiation? Was it the type of bomb that made this possible?
View Quote

Someone smarter than me probably has a better answer but I'll try in the meantime.

A hydrogen bomb is actually two bombs- it uses an atomic bomb (nuclear fission- splitting uranium or plutonium) to kick-start a a nuclear fusion reaction. Fusion is how the sun works- hydrogen atoms get fused together and release a lot of energy.

How "clean" a bomb is radiation-wise depends on how much of the explosive yield is due to each part. The fission part leaves a lot if radioactive by-products ("fission products") which are highly radioactive. The fusion part does not.

The Tsar Bomba got most of its power from the fusion reaction part and therefore it's considered a "clean" device.

However they left out a bunch of extra fissionable bits for that test. This reduced the explosion's size by 43 megatons and gave the aircrew a 50/50 chance to escape.  If they wanted to get the full 100 megaton power of the design they'd have left those in and a larger fraction of the bomb's explosion would have been from fission so the bomb would have been "dirtier"

I'm glad they didn't
Link Posted: 8/23/2020 8:06:52 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Has technology advanced enough to get that kind of yield in a smaller package ?

I don't know shit about hydrogen or nuclear bombs except that the technology is amazing and they fuck shit up

I am afraid to Google how to build a hydrogen bomb because I might get a visit from the feds
View Quote

There is a theoretical limit of somewhere around 6 kilotons per kilogram with the bombs we have now.

If there is technology that improves on that, nobody is saying.
Link Posted: 8/23/2020 8:30:04 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

There is a theoretical limit of somewhere around 6 kilotons per kilogram with the bombs we have now.

View Quote

Can you explain that so a 6th grader can understand ?

Asking for my daughter
Link Posted: 8/23/2020 8:43:59 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Asking for my daughter
View Quote

Not quite 6th grade level, but a good article about it.

http://blog.nuclearsecrecy.com/2013/12/23/kilotons-per-kilogram/
Link Posted: 8/23/2020 8:45:02 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Asking for my daughter
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Asking for my daughter
Warhead with weight of 100kg = 600kt punch . In such calculation the Tzar bomba 26 metric tones = 156 Mt.
Also the link from the previous page , very well explained :
http://www.nuclearweaponarchive.org/Russia/TsarBomba.html
Link Posted: 8/23/2020 8:49:17 AM EDT
[#14]
Thanks guys, will read.

I mean my daughter will
Link Posted: 8/23/2020 10:39:05 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Seems strange that classified footage would be presented in documentary format.
View Quote

Stalin loved films...this would have been for him and his inner circle.
Link Posted: 8/23/2020 10:47:37 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I love the background music, it makes the video seem like one of those old Encyclopedia Brittanica films about farming or cheese production that they used to show us in the second grade.  

"And now the doomsday device is carefully packed and ready for shipment to your local supermarket."
View Quote

Dub it with 'How it's Made' Muzak
Link Posted: 8/23/2020 10:50:02 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Dub it with 'How it's Made' Muzak
View Quote

Perfect.  
Link Posted: 8/23/2020 10:53:22 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I want to know more.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

From what I understand there was no way to slow the fall enough to allow the plane to fully escape.

As it was with the 50Mt explosion they only gave the pilots a 50/50 chance of living.

I read somewhere that the pilot immediately retired/resigned after he landed and never flew again.  Prolly one of those stories that's embellished.

He had 20 years in at that point, he was made a Hero of the Soviet Union a few months later and retired a few years later in 65. I haven't seen anything about if he flew again or not.

I'd like to here more about the crew of the plane that was closest to the explosion, but the USAF has never released anything.

I want to know more.
The US apparently had an instrumented KC-135R aircraft (Operation SpeedLight)[7] in the area of the test – close enough to have been scorched by the blast.[2]

To think we give Russians shit for being cavalier with the lives of their servicemen
Link Posted: 8/23/2020 10:53:32 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Soviets had plenty of nice cameras AND glass.

Not refined, but plenty good.
View Quote

Thanks to zee East Germans?
Link Posted: 8/23/2020 11:05:32 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Apparently the fireball from the Tsar Bomba didn't even touch the ground because it bumped into its own shock wave.  So a lot of energy was left on the table so to speak.
View Quote

Yep.
"The Tsar Bomba's fireball, about 8 km (5.0 mi) wide at its maximum, was prevented from touching the ground by the shock wave, but nearly reached 10.5 km (6.5 mi) altitude in the sky – the altitude of the deploying Tu-95 bomber"
Link Posted: 8/23/2020 11:14:33 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Stalin loved films...this would have been for him and his inner circle.
View Quote

Stalin had been dead for many years by the time the Russians lit this firecracker.
Link Posted: 8/23/2020 11:17:41 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 8/23/2020 11:19:17 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

Nope, ZFG to the safety or well being of their government's disposable tools and the opportunity to study the effects 1st hand.

I believe the US did a similar test with army soldiers.

Stuck them all in foxholes around the blast.
Detonated the nuke. The shockwave blasted over their heads.
Then had them march towards ground zero.
They all had exposure card on them that the "experts" would look at a determine that you were fine and your hair falling out was male pattern baldness.
Link Posted: 8/23/2020 11:19:26 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
interesting..

watching now.

I wonder what the 'white paint' was they were spraying on everything (?)
anti-radiation or ?
View Quote

Reflective so the thermal pulse didn’t cook the plane.
Link Posted: 8/23/2020 11:20:29 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
interesting..

watching now.

I wonder what the 'white paint' was they were spraying on everything (?)
anti-radiation or ?
View Quote

Free-fall nuclear bombers had their bellies and sometimes the whole aircraft painted anti-flash white to reflect heat. Other colors would absorb it and burn the plane.

Link Posted: 8/23/2020 11:33:10 AM EDT
[#26]
Wow, that's sobering.

It was an even bigger bomb than the last Ghostbusters movie!
Link Posted: 8/23/2020 11:37:55 AM EDT
[#27]
It would be fun to watch the archaeologists of the future dig up the hydrogen bomb that is buried in the sludge off the Georgia coast
Link Posted: 8/23/2020 11:58:16 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

They weren't going to use it on anyone; it was purely for propaganda purposes, to show the West that the Soviets could build massive weapons in response to Western nuclear buildup.

Even if they had any intention to use it they wouldn't have gotten far with it.  If your "delivery system" for a massive city-obliterating nuke is a slow-ass Bear bomber flying at 30,000 feet there's no way it would have gotten past Norway in a war against NATO, let alone get to New York City.  They would have ended up dropping it on Stockholm, that's about it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I wonder what US/English cities they wanted to use that bomb on?  

Commies everywhere.

They weren't going to use it on anyone; it was purely for propaganda purposes, to show the West that the Soviets could build massive weapons in response to Western nuclear buildup.

Even if they had any intention to use it they wouldn't have gotten far with it.  If your "delivery system" for a massive city-obliterating nuke is a slow-ass Bear bomber flying at 30,000 feet there's no way it would have gotten past Norway in a war against NATO, let alone get to New York City.  They would have ended up dropping it on Stockholm, that's about it.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/23/2020 12:41:01 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Wow, that's sobering.

It was an even bigger bomb than the last Ghostbusters movie!
View Quote

^ thread winner
Link Posted: 8/23/2020 4:09:36 PM EDT
[#30]
That was neat, thanks for sharing that OP.
Link Posted: 8/23/2020 4:11:17 PM EDT
[#31]

Link Posted: 8/23/2020 4:39:58 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
What I always wonder, is if that was what we were capable of 60 years ago, what are we capable of now?
View Quote

Hellfires, with fuckin swords attached.

Accuracy is more important than power.
Link Posted: 8/23/2020 9:15:20 PM EDT
[#33]
Tzar Bomba effects on different cities from Google Earth
Link Posted: 8/23/2020 9:24:05 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

From what I understand, they wanted to go to 100MT but they had no idea what kind of damage to the Earth it would do. They actually dialed down the strength (from what I understand)
Link Posted: 8/23/2020 11:50:40 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Actually that wouldn't surprise me if true. Reminds me of a story I heard about a WW2 P47 pilot who emptied his service pistol into the cockpit of his plane after a really bad mission.

I think the plane never flew again. Lots of modifications had to be made to that Tu95 so it could carry that huge bitch.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I read somewhere that the pilot immediately retired/resigned after he landed and never flew again.  Prolly one of those stories that's embellished.

Actually that wouldn't surprise me if true. Reminds me of a story I heard about a WW2 P47 pilot who emptied his service pistol into the cockpit of his plane after a really bad mission.

I think the plane never flew again. Lots of modifications had to be made to that Tu95 so it could carry that huge bitch.

Here's where I got it from, right around 10:00:

What Happened to the Nuclear Test Sites?

Link Posted: 8/24/2020 12:17:21 AM EDT
[#36]
I read long ago they didnt go for the 100MT due to fears of igniting the planets atmosphere and literally killing all life on the planet.
Link Posted: 8/24/2020 12:52:24 AM EDT
[#37]
For those who are curious about EMP blasts from nuclear detonations in the upper atmosphere and in space.

Why Did We Test Nukes in Space?
Link Posted: 8/24/2020 1:15:59 AM EDT
[#38]
Was that Chopin I heard?
Link Posted: 8/24/2020 1:18:19 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I read long ago they didnt go for the 100MT due to fears of igniting the planets atmosphere and literally killing all life on the planet.
View Quote

Doesn't seem like something that the Russians would have lost much sleep over.
Link Posted: 8/24/2020 1:20:10 AM EDT
[#40]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I wonder what US/English cities they wanted to use that bomb on?  

Commies everywhere.

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/yQOEgRw-67.gif

Leia:
But they have no weapons!  
They are a Peaceful People!  
Link Posted: 8/24/2020 1:35:09 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Nope, ZFG to the safety or well being of their government's disposable tools and the opportunity to study the effects 1st hand.

They all had exposure card on them that the "experts" would look at a determine that you were fine and your hair falling out was male pattern baldness.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Navy did it at Bikini and the other atolls, good friend of ours was there for 7 years after the war unable to return home due to his subject knowledge. Cancer killed him in the early 80s.
Link Posted: 8/24/2020 2:04:34 AM EDT
[#42]
At 26 tons in weight it was never really a practical weapon, it could be carried by a slow bomber but there is no way they could get it on a ballistic missile.
Link Posted: 8/24/2020 2:26:32 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote
Started with Op Buster-Jangle and Desert Rock. There's a good bit of cool 'gee-wiz' reading there.
Link Posted: 8/24/2020 2:27:05 AM EDT
[#44]
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top