Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/19/2024 9:40:58 AM EDT
I saw last night that No Man's Sky is on sale and was thinking about finally picking it up. Anyone play this that can give some insight on the state of the game?
Link Posted: 7/19/2024 11:46:14 AM EDT
[#1]
Not since it came out.  Was fun for a while but got boring and repetitive.

I do know they have massively updated the game and it's supposed to be really good now.

I've personally gone back into playing Icarus now that they too have updated the game a ton.
Link Posted: 7/19/2024 12:14:47 PM EDT
[#2]
It’s fantastic, 100% worth getting, especially on sale. But be aware it’s very much a sandbox game. There’s a story with quests to follow but the majority of your time is going to be spent exploring, mining, crafting things, etc. Basically, you make the game what you want it to be.
Link Posted: 7/19/2024 12:22:19 PM EDT
[#3]
I played it through when it came out, it was a fun game. I do understand that the developers did huge amounts of work to improve it, and the results seem to be a big update from the release version. I've not played it with those updates, so please let us know how you like it! I'm still on a Jedi Survivor re-playthrough, before Star Wars Outlaws comes out in about a month.
Link Posted: 7/19/2024 12:43:07 PM EDT
[#4]
If you like to explore and build then you will enjoy the game.  The developers have continually added to the game with updates, even recently, and will continue to do so.  I did have one major issue where after an update I lost huge amounts of resources that I had in storage.  It took many hours to mine/farm and cost me millions of the in game currency.  I haven’t been back since.
Link Posted: 7/19/2024 12:55:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Mooseless:
It’s fantastic, 100% worth getting, especially on sale. But be aware it’s very much a sandbox game. There’s a story with quests to follow but the majority of your time is going to be spent exploring, mining, crafting things, etc. Basically, you make the game what you want it to be.
View Quote

This is how I'm hoping it goes. I like sandbox games but I need some sort of quest line to just push me in a direction. The problem I have with Minecraft is, once I've built myself a village and homestead, it turns into, "now what?".
Link Posted: 7/19/2024 1:37:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: svt40] [#6]
Originally Posted By Raignis:

This is how I'm hoping it goes. I like sandbox games but I need some sort of quest line to just push me in a direction. The problem I have with Minecraft is, once I've built myself a village and homestead, it turns into, "now what?".
View Quote

That's my problem as well.  Survival games are the worst.  I need something pushing me towards a goal or a purpose for playing. Even then I rarely finish a game.  Horizon Zero Dawn was the last game I finished because it had such a great story line.
Link Posted: 7/23/2024 6:32:14 AM EDT
[#7]
I played for a while but could never really get over the graphic styling.  Need something more realistic personally.
Link Posted: 7/25/2024 1:26:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By svt40:

That's my problem as well.  Survival games are the worst.  I need something pushing me towards a goal or a purpose for playing. Even then I rarely finish a game.  Horizon Zero Dawn was the last game I finished because it had such a great story line.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By svt40:
Originally Posted By Raignis:

I'm currently playing Horizon Forbidden West and enjoying it a lot.

Re No Man's Sky, I put quite a few hours into it but eventually just got bored. I do recommend it if you like this kind of game.
Link Posted: 7/25/2024 2:27:25 PM EDT
[#9]
I started playing when Next came out, two years after release. It has since changed drastically from Next and is almost a different game at this point. The story and quests are light as it is a sandbox. I liked traveling to see different weird planets and animals. With the new updates, the planet and animal diversity looks to have been drastically increased. I won't be able to mess with it until next week as I am on vacation but the trailers look amazing. I like the mid 20th century sci-fi book cover aesthetic for the game. It's hard to beat a game where you can seamlessly travel from surface to space and back without a loading screen.
Link Posted: 7/28/2024 11:54:03 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By M1Lou:
I started playing when Next came out, two years after release. It has since changed drastically from Next and is almost a different game at this point. The story and quests are light as it is a sandbox. I liked traveling to see different weird planets and animals. With the new updates, the planet and animal diversity looks to have been drastically increased. I won't be able to mess with it until next week as I am on vacation but the trailers look amazing. I like the mid 20th century sci-fi book cover aesthetic for the game. It's hard to beat a game where you can seamlessly travel from surface to space and back without a loading screen.
View Quote

Well, it is easy to skip loading screens when planet’s atmospheres are only a few hundred meters thick, and planets themselves are only a few hundred thousand kilometers apart.

It does allow things to be more seamless, but the scale of everything is incredibly off.

Link Posted: 7/29/2024 9:56:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Raignis] [#11]
I've only been able to play for an hour so far but I do like the look of it. The hardest part so far is maneuvering the ship in atmosphere as it doesn't behave like I would expect. The other is crafting. The crafting menu is convoluted and I'm having a hard time finding what I'm looking for in there.

Hopefully I can get more time on it this week.
Link Posted: 7/29/2024 1:23:53 PM EDT
[#12]
I do not enjoy playing it the normal way.  In VR its a totally different experience and tons of fun.   The controls are good except for the flight system.  I turn off space combat completely because they are so bad.
Link Posted: 7/31/2024 7:44:14 AM EDT
[#13]
I keep coming back to this game after every update but it always fails to hold my interest for long, I've been with it since the cluster fuck of a launch though.  

I really want to like this game but it just never clicks with me.
Link Posted: 8/8/2024 11:46:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Been playing since 2016.  It's a fantastic experience, but not a lot of narrative depth.  Pretty superficial in that regard, in my opinion.

The recent patches from the Worlds Pt 1 update have my game running worse.  Not sure what is going on, but they release Worlds Pt 1 and everything was glorious, then patched it to 5.03 I think, and now it's sluggish and slow.  

I'm so maxed out in the game that I'm basically just stat-rolling X-class upgrades when I get bored.  I can make 4.2 billion units easily, have about 600,000 nanites, and about 20000 quicksilver.  Not a whole lot to do from here, but I like that when I get an itch to world hop and check out new stuff, it's there.  Base building is still top notch, so it has that going for it.

It's gone from game to more of a relaxing, quasi-meditative experience for me now.  Maybe they'll flesh it out more soon.  Who knows.

The Adrift expedition was super fun.  They replay it in November and you haven't done it, I encourage you to do it.
Link Posted: 8/10/2024 12:24:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: gtfoxy] [#15]
Wife & I have it & played for a good while up to about a year ago.

A lot of aspects to the game are really good, other lack depth.

Our biggest turn off was, since we really only like to play games together, the horrible glitches in multiplayer. It simply got unbearable when we would spend hours trying to just stay connected or not have us falling into space off of each other’s freighters.

If you would like some starting money & some guidance on stuff I could log into a save & bang around with you for a little while.

Originally Posted By burnprocess:
Been playing since 2016.  It's a fantastic experience, but not a lot of narrative depth.  Pretty superficial in that regard, in my opinion.

The recent patches from the Worlds Pt 1 update have my game running worse.  Not sure what is going on, but they release Worlds Pt 1 and everything was glorious, then patched it to 5.03 I think, and now it's sluggish and slow.  

I'm so maxed out in the game that I'm basically just stat-rolling X-class upgrades when I get bored.  I can make 4.2 billion units easily, have about 600,000 nanites, and about 20000 quicksilver.  Not a whole lot to do from here, but I like that when I get an itch to world hop and check out new stuff, it's there.  Base building is still top notch, so it has that going for it.

It's gone from game to more of a relaxing, quasi-meditative experience for me now.  Maybe they'll flesh it out more soon.  Who knows.

The Adrift expedition was super fun.  They replay it in November and you haven't done it, I encourage you to do it.
View Quote

The making money part for me was the most fun.

In the expeditions I would spend most of my time doing the tech unlocks & building safe havens near points of interest for others. I remember one I did a huge 3 story nip-nip & Pearl grow for people to just come & take stuff.

I’m also the guy people would bitch about that would drop randoms AI valves just for the fun of doing it. If they used them great, if they trashed them, meh big deal, what’s a few hundred million any way.
Link Posted: 8/10/2024 12:30:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Both of my sons play it a fair bit currently. I got it when it first came out and enjoyed it for what it was, but now it has expanded an incredible amount.

I have debated getting back into it to play with them, but I find that my time for gaming is diminished and watching them enjoy it is good enough for me!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top