Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/6/2024 9:58:19 AM EDT
[Last Edit: bansil]
Looking to get some 1st aid stuff from them, tried searching...my Google-fu sucks

I see practice and real tq's are same price, I remember "never put a tq on someone who doesn't need one"

What is different about the 2?

Looking to pick some CAT ones and 1 practice, I assume it's reusable for practice.

Website

Are real tq reusable it shits real bad?
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 10:46:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: King_Mud] [#1]
Originally Posted By bansil:
Looking to get some 1st aid stuff from them, tried searching...my Google-fu sucks

I see practice and real tq's are same price, I remember "never put a tq on someone who doesn't need one"
What is different about the 2? Color. Blue is for training

Looking to pick some CAT ones and 1 practice, I assume it's reusable for practice. Yes, it'll hold up for a while

Website

Are real tq reusable it shits real bad? The only time that would be remotely a concern is if you're converting a TQ for prolonged field care or the pt died. 1 is a special scenario and 2, if person 2 needs a TQ from someone that died, they're probably already dead by that time anyway. Random guy off the street? No, the TQ stays and goes to the hospital with them
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 10:50:15 AM EDT
[#2]
NAR is good to go. If you’re not in a big hurry they periodically have pretty good sales if you sign up for emails.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 11:17:37 AM EDT
[#3]
Plan to get a couple and a trainer for next month, so I can learn proper use. I have subbed in past...
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 11:27:53 AM EDT
[#4]
"never put a tq on someone who doesn't need one"

Depends on the field of use and SOPs, but in general this line of thought has changed. TQs are now the first line of defense against bleeding, it is no  more "high and tight" at the groin or under the armpit but it is good to put it 3 inches over the bleed, up to 3 tourniquet may be used for the same bleeding, don't unwind the tourniquet to relieve pain, you can remove and relocate it if some criteria are met.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 11:34:02 AM EDT
[#5]
NAR is great and beats gambling on receiving counterfeit life saving supplies.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 11:34:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ropin4gold:
NAR is good to go. If you’re not in a big hurry they periodically have pretty good sales if you sign up for emails.
View Quote

I hit their Black Friday sale every year. Big savings on very high quality stuff.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 11:36:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: glklvr] [#7]
Originally Posted By joeviterbo:

Depends on the field of use and SOPs, but in general this line of thought has changed. TQs are now the first line of defense against bleeding, it is no  more "high and tight" at the groin or under the armpit but it is good to put it 3 inches over the bleed, up to 3 tourniquet may be used for the same bleeding, don't unwind the tourniquet to relieve pain, you can remove and relocate it if some criteria are met.
View Quote

I'll add that the old wives take of "if it's on for more than 20 minutes you'll have to amputate" has been proven completely false. They've had TQs on people for hours and they've regained full function of the limb with no nerve damage.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 11:39:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Pallas] [#8]
NAR is fantastic, I get most everything from them.

TQ: If you are putting it on your belt/whatever, get black. Everywhere else, get orange.

Buy a blue for practice. Only use the blue for practice. TQ’s are a single use item.

You want to have two available if possible, 20% may require a second TQ, so try to have another somewhat handy. I have two orange on the outside of my range bag, two orange in my truck, etc.

PA had a great deal on a mini NAR patrol IFAK, it was basically the same price as one TQ from NAR, worth watching their site.

Like auto parts, don’t order this stuff off AMZ, boo boo stuff aside.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 11:41:52 AM EDT
[#9]
It's possible but unlikely you'll damage the tourniquet if used properly (a good quality one, who knows with some of the Chinese made stuff), it's far more likely to get contaminated and not cleaned properly.  

NAR is gtg.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 11:55:35 AM EDT
[#10]

View Quote

Bleeding to the extremities.  Suggesting that you put one on the patient's neck to treat their rampant stupidity is still frowned upon in some circles with no sense of humor.

Personally I think they are overused in the CONUS setting, it seems to be a case of only having one tool, so go ahead and use it, even if it is overkill.  Hemorrhage control cannot be overstated, but not every bleed needs a TQ.  Also if one is not available it is important to know alternate methods of hemorrhage control.  That said I carry a TQ whenever I leave the house.  I just also carry other things that can be used to control bleeding as well.  Like a couple bandaids in my wallet and a handkerchief in my pocket.  I also know how to use elevation and pressure points to stop bleeding.

Times I have seen a TQ used appropriately.  A near total amputation caused by a motorcycle accident when the biker went leg first into a guard rail and traveled for several meter causing his leg to twist itself almost all the way off.  His foot was in his armpit when I pulled him off the helicopter.  Gunshot wound to the lower leg that may (or may not have) broken the tib fib.  TQ was applied by LEO's that were first on scene and patient came to the ED via ambulance.

Inappropriate TQ applications I have seen.  Catfish spine to the hand.  That one was funny as hell.  Even funnier was the reaction of the RN when I called her up to tell her what just walked in the front door.

Time a TQ maybe should have been used, but the patient still lived.  Patient came to the ED via private vehicle.  PT had a surgical implant for, I believe, ongoing dialysis, in his brachial artery.  The implant broke and what was left in the artery was basically a tube letting all his blood leak out on our nice clean floor.  Unfortunately day shift had taken it upon themselves to change the lock code for the cabinet where our TQ's were stored due to pilfering and didn't bother to tell anyone.  We had not used a TQ in the hospital up to that point, but about 45 were missing from inventory.  Every staff member had a pretty nice trauma kit in their car/house though.  A switched on RN used a pressure point to control the bleeding while the charge RN and I tried to get the cart open.  I had my own TQ (tactically acquired from the military, not the hospital) that night, but it was sitting in my SUV in the parking garage where it was perfectly useless.  That night is why I started carrying one on my person.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 11:57:28 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By P1pe:
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/6/2024 12:11:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By ropin4gold:
View Quote

I buy from the every year on Black Friday.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 12:32:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By sandboxmedic:
It's possible but unlikely you'll damage the tourniquet if used properly (a good quality one, who knows with some of the Chinese made stuff), it's far more likely to get contaminated and not cleaned properly.  

NAR is gtg.
View Quote

The CATs should not be used for training and then "real world". The Sof-ts can.

OP- just buy a blue CAT and a couple of black or orange. If you're looking for a tq to edc the ETQ is the best choice imo (https://www.snakestaffsystems.com/buy-now/etq-every-day-tourniquet).
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 12:38:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Good stuff, thanks all

I'm old school army before 2003, that's why I'm asking and want to learn....thanks again...
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 12:58:28 PM EDT
[#15]
NAR is GTG.

I order from Rescue Essentials and 1110 a bunch too.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 1:10:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Here’s a tip OP

Use a search engine:

North American Rescue site:ar15.com

Link Posted: 9/6/2024 2:19:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: tightlines49] [#17]
I bought a sweet kydex tq holder for my training belt. It came with a “Cat 7” that was most likely a knock off. That is now my trainer, and is obnoxiously marked as such. I figure that the skills that need practice are quickly and efficiently getting it applied, especially on myself.

ETA   Nar is gtg.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 2:25:04 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By P1pe:
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/6/2024 2:25:50 PM EDT
[#19]

View Quote

Remember those blm/antifa homos that put a TQ on a dude who got smacked with a pepperball?
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 3:52:45 PM EDT
[#20]
As others have said, NAR is GTG. Get a blue for practice. As far as orange vs black, black is all tacti-cool but orange sticks out. Something you want when transferring care over to an ER. Last thing you want them doing is cutting the TQ you applied to save the patient. (Speaking from 30yrs EMS)
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 4:15:15 PM EDT
[#21]
Good stuff, thanks all

I'm old school army before 2003, that's why I'm asking and want to learn....thanks again...
View Quote

Current CLS classes will have you leaving with nice bruises around your arms and legs.  Both self applied and buddy applied, so you know what it feels like to tighten one enough along with checking the pulse in that limb.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 4:22:22 PM EDT
[#22]
The agency I work for orders tons of stuff from NAR.
We've never had an issue.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 4:34:31 PM EDT
[#23]
I like driving by their big building on I85 traveling between NC and GA.

Their products are good too
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 4:59:21 PM EDT
[#24]

View Quote

Is the bolded an Italian thing?

I took STB training within the last year and they were still recommending high placement on the limb.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 5:10:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: oscardeuce] [#25]

View Quote

You need to be above the 2 bone area of the arm and leg (ulna/radius, tib/fib) to get best compression.   So if the wound is knee down put first just above the knee and add another proximal if needed.
Don’t be afraid to place a TQ. It will almost always not harm and likely will help. It will hurt like hell if it is working.
29 years Emergency physican. Most of that at level 1-2 trauma centers
SWAT/TEMS doc
Stop the Bleed instructor
EMS medical director
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 5:19:50 PM EDT
[#26]
Snakestaffsystems ETQ ftw... carrying one right now on my belt behind my spare mag. First TQ I've had that I belt carry.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 5:46:24 PM EDT
[#27]
Attachment Attached File

Looks like they have a sale coming up soon.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 5:47:13 PM EDT
[#28]
In a Dark Angel class you’ll self apply a TQ more than once

Obviously there is a qualified instructor present teaching how to do it properly.
Link Posted: 9/7/2024 10:10:22 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By steelworker:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/427842/IMG_0599_jpeg-3315059.JPG

Looks like they have a sale coming up soon.
View Quote

Sweet, thanks!
Link Posted: 9/7/2024 10:13:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: The_Beer_Slayer] [#30]
Link Posted: 9/7/2024 10:16:28 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 9/7/2024 10:17:00 AM EDT
[#32]
I assume the old protocol was to put a T on forehead with a time. Is that still relevant so they know how long it's been on? Or is that old thinking.

How to find stop the bleed classes?
Link Posted: 9/7/2024 10:22:36 AM EDT
[#33]
I assume the old protocol was to put a T on forehead with a time. Is that still relevant so they know how long it's been on? Or is that old thinking.

How to find stop the bleed classes?
View Quote

https://www.stopthebleed.org/find-a-course/
Link Posted: 9/7/2024 10:26:53 AM EDT
[#34]
Easy to use
I have 4 or 5 of these.
Link Posted: 9/7/2024 12:38:42 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By Gunjunki:
Easy to use
I have 4 or 5 of these.
View Quote

Prepare to have a lot of people start reeeing.  The RATS has a niche place in my opinion, not everyone agrees.  They do require a bit more training to be effective in my experience.
Link Posted: 9/8/2024 12:51:11 AM EDT
[#36]
They are coming out with junctional tourniquets. Very pricey, but we’ll have to see how they do

Junctional tq
Link Posted: 9/8/2024 12:57:00 AM EDT
[#37]
I’ve used them before, the elastic Israeli style (or whatever it’s called).

Worked and stopped the bleeding and the guy lived. It just didn’t seem to be as secure as the CAT style.
Link Posted: 9/9/2024 6:47:47 AM EDT
[#38]
North American rescue is running a sale now, 25% off.

Get ya sum
Link Posted: 9/9/2024 9:21:04 AM EDT
[#39]
Just grabbed 3 black and 1 blue trainer...7 to 10 day lead 25% off PREP2024 next 4 days

Not affiliated
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top