Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/11/2024 1:10:23 PM EDT
https://www.twz.com/air/northrops-stealthy-drone-breaks-cover-and-it-has-a-cockpit
The Model 437, which was built by Northrop Grumman's subsidiary Scaled Composites, looks like the concept art aside from one very glaring detail.

The first images of Northrop Grumman’s Model 437, an advanced air combat drone that could potentially fill the requirement for the Air Force’s and/or Navy’s “loyal wingman” Collaborative Combat Aircraft (CCA) programs, as well as those of allies, have hit social media.
The relatively small tactical jet looks impressive and is very much in line with the concept renderings we have seen of it, aside from one major detail — it has a cockpit.

Yes, that’s right, the Model 437 prototype features a cockpit for a pilot. While this may seem extremely odd for what is supposed to be an advanced unmanned air combat aircraft, it actually makes some sense and it could give Northrop Grumman (NG) an advantage in the red-hot contest to provide hundreds, if not thousands, of highly autonomous drones to the USAF, as well as the Navy.

Link Posted: 8/11/2024 1:12:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Anti skynet protection

a manual override
Link Posted: 8/11/2024 1:17:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AeroE] [#2]
Link Posted: 8/11/2024 1:18:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: coltc] [#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By BURN:
Anti skynet protection

a manual override
View Quote

Until they put a T1000 inside the cockpit, then you're double screwed.
Link Posted: 8/11/2024 1:19:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By BURN:
Anti skynet protection

a manual override
View Quote

Hope they're smart enough not to integrate the ejection seat into the autonomous control system.
Link Posted: 8/11/2024 1:21:03 PM EDT
[#5]
It kind of looks like an Iranian stealth jet...
Link Posted: 8/11/2024 1:22:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Did it start life as a manned aircraft?

Link Posted: 8/11/2024 1:22:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Ace combat is now real life.
Link Posted: 8/11/2024 1:23:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Have it manned for the prototype stages, then rip out the meat sack support systems and add more gas and weapons to the fully unmanned production model?
Link Posted: 8/11/2024 1:48:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Sinister] [#9]
How does it compare, size-wise, to an A4 Skyhawk?

Link Posted: 8/11/2024 2:23:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/11/2024 2:37:29 PM EDT
[#11]

Male plane.
Link Posted: 8/11/2024 2:52:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Take your latest export intended fly-by-wire design, put in a radio transceiver able to pass commands to the flight computer and read the instrumentation sensors, then call it a drone.
Link Posted: 8/11/2024 3:00:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Son of F-107

Link Posted: 8/11/2024 3:01:45 PM EDT
[#14]
UCAV EDI a.k.a. "Tinman".

Stealth Movie 2005
Link Posted: 8/11/2024 3:01:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By AeroE:
That's no surprise in a technology demonstrator airplane.

I suppose it's possible the aim is a low cost export manned airplane with options available for the autonomous customers.  Is so, the payload is microscopic.

View Quote

A few wing pylons and AA missiles can be added for effect
Link Posted: 8/11/2024 3:45:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By KA3B:
It kind of looks like an Iranian stealth jet...
View Quote

Agree, not sexy.
Link Posted: 8/11/2024 4:09:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AeroE] [#17]
Link Posted: 8/11/2024 4:11:31 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By cardboardkiller:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/31823/IMG_2800-3291876.jpg

Male plane.
View Quote

That Sir (if I may call you that), is a feminine penis.
Link Posted: 8/11/2024 4:12:47 PM EDT
[#19]
Good. Keeps the enemy guessing which ones are manned and which ones aren’t… and makes it usable as a fill-in fighter as needed under the budgets of the “unmanned” drone program

Link Posted: 8/11/2024 4:14:12 PM EDT
[#20]
Tin man 12 why have you deviated from course? Tin man 12 please reply?

Tin man 12 why have you armed your nukes? Turn around now you are 30 mins from Russian airspace.
Link Posted: 8/11/2024 4:16:35 PM EDT
[#21]

I suppose it's possible the aim is a low cost export manned airplane with options available for the autonomous customers.  If so, the payload is microscopic.

View Quote

I believe I've read it's 3.

Missile under each wing and one centerline.
Link Posted: 8/11/2024 4:27:28 PM EDT
[#22]
Plot twist, all of our planes are UAV's.   They just put one of those vinyl wraps on that looks like it has a cockpit and pilot.
Link Posted: 8/11/2024 4:29:24 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 6:30:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Hesperus] [#24]
Now with video.

I think it's got a bit of an updated HE-162 Salamander vibe to it.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 6:34:42 PM EDT
[#25]
If it's cheap enough (both to buy, and to keep flying) then it doesn't really matter if the payload is small.  Just launch more of them. The limiting factor will then be the number of wingmen a single pilot (or AI) can control.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 6:37:08 PM EDT
[#26]
looks kinda sexy
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 6:39:33 PM EDT
[#27]

Link Posted: 9/6/2024 6:48:28 PM EDT
[#28]

This must be the grandfather.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 9/6/2024 6:48:56 PM EDT
[#29]
Sweet pics.

Does anyone I know what is the upper limit for sustained g forces with jets ? I mean is there some limit beyond which air stops working normally? Or is it just a mechanical forces factor?

How Bout jet engines?  

From my limited expierence with model airplane engines as well as model pulse jets I know that high g forces can richen up the engine or lean it out depending on the manuver. Obviously full size jet engines are more advanced but I have to wonder about a heavy rotating mass not liking high g forces.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 6:53:48 PM EDT
[#30]
Beechcraft Bonanaza Drone?
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 7:04:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Hesperus] [#31]
Originally Posted By TheLookingGlass:
Sweet pics.

Does anyone I know what is the upper limit for sustained g forces with jets ? I mean is there some limit beyond which air stops working normally? Or is it just a mechanical forces factor?

How Bout jet engines?  

From my limited expierence with model airplane engines as well as model pulse jets I know that high g forces can richen up the engine or lean it out depending on the manuver. Obviously full size jet engines are more advanced but I have to wonder about a heavy rotating mass not liking high g forces.
View Quote

Air Force fighters are usually limited to 9G. Navy fighters to something around 7G now that most aircraft have fly by wire systems. In the days before these became standard. Combat aircraft were usually limited to around 6G. But in practice they could be pulled and pushed a bit harder. Though you shouldn't count on certain delicate and/or primitive electronic systems being functional afterwards.

Whenever this subject comes up it invariably leads to an argument between people who think that drones are the be all and end all of air combat and that they can take far higher g loading than any human. And people who actually build, design, work on and fly fighter aircraft who reply that the machinery can't take that much punishment if you want it to keep working for very long.

Missiles have been seen pulling crazy turns in combat. But it helps that they only have to do it once.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 7:16:31 PM EDT
[#32]

I suppose it's possible the aim is a low cost export manned airplane with options available for the autonomous customers.  If so, the payload is microscopic.

View Quote

You don't need a large payload if you have 20 of them attacking at a time.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 7:31:00 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By Sinister:

https://silodrome.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/11/Douglas-A-4-Skyhawk-Fighter-Jet-5-1600x1060.jpg
View Quote

From Hesperus' video it appears smaller .

One good aspect is ; once the pilot passes out from G's , AI will continue the fight til pilot wakes up . " shew , that was close ....oh , looks like I got em . Heh ."

Link Posted: 9/6/2024 7:32:31 PM EDT
[#34]
As others stated, it's a demonstrator, and they need provision for a pilot during development.  But I doubt they would keep that feature in production.  The overhead, including weight, environmental systems, ejection seat etc, must be prohibitive. Never mind that it increases the radar cross section.  I'd guess they'll delete the cockpit in the final version.

Of course it would be entertaining to take civilians for a ride to experience 20G's.

Link Posted: 9/6/2024 7:32:42 PM EDT
[#35]
The next gen fighter can swap out cockpit, nothing new
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 7:33:59 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By cardboardkiller:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/31823/IMG_2800-3291876.jpg

Male plane.
View Quote

Is that the dikfer?
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 7:34:15 PM EDT
[#37]
Makes sense. That way the airforce can assign DEI "pilots" to "fly" it. No training required.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 8:04:10 PM EDT
[#38]
I figured they'd look somewhat cheap and disposable, but fuck...
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 8:19:22 PM EDT
[#39]
I wonder if it will get upsized?  Looks kinda small to carry a useful payload.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 8:23:22 PM EDT
[#40]

View Quote

Same as my 2024 Toyota. Damn thing drives itself down a winding road.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 8:25:47 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By NY12ga:
Good. Keeps the enemy guessing which ones are manned and which ones aren’t… and makes it usable as a fill-in fighter as needed under the budgets of the “unmanned” drone program

View Quote

It's the Air Force version of parking a police car in radar position with nobody in it. I see.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 8:35:09 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By zebfishzap:
UCAV EDI a.k.a. "Tinman".

Stealth Movie 2005
View Quote
Jessica's ass was the main character of that movie.   And I'm OK with that.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 8:37:55 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By Hesperus:

Air Force fighters are usually limited to 9G. Navy fighters to something around 7G now that most aircraft have fly by wire systems. In the days before these became standard. Combat aircraft were usually limited to around 6G. But in practice they could be pulled and pushed a bit harder. Though you shouldn't count on certain delicate and/or primitive electronic systems being functional afterwards.

Whenever this subject comes up it invariably leads to an argument between people who think that drones are the be all and end all of air combat and that they can take far higher g loading than any human. And people who actually build, design, work on and fly fighter aircraft who reply that the machinery can't take that much punishment if you want it to keep working for very long.

Missiles have been seen pulling crazy turns in combat. But it helps that they only have to do it once.
View Quote
F18s can pull 9 if you hit the pinky flipper. "Emergency" gs.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 8:40:39 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By Sinister:

https://silodrome.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/11/Douglas-A-4-Skyhawk-Fighter-Jet-5-1600x1060.jpg
View Quote

I bet it leaks oil a hell of a lot less than a Skyhawk.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 9:04:04 PM EDT
[#45]
Not surprising at all. They gotta test the fkn thing lol
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 9:07:30 PM EDT
[#46]
How many G can it pull once you remove the meatbag?
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 9:10:59 PM EDT
[#47]
Surprise, there's a cockpit but no controls. Ride-alongs only. Buckle up, human!
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 9:13:44 PM EDT
[#48]
I wonder what they don’t show us.

What do they move at night in the dark?  That’s the fun shit.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 9:17:07 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By WhiskersTheCat:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By WhiskersTheCat:

That's pathetic. I would have guessed five or six. Three? Pfffft.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 9:21:24 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By Belfry_Express:
looks kinda sexy
View Quote

I think it looks kind of goofy.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top