Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 8/26/2024 7:35:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Mds238]
I'm looking for input on OEM vs aftermarket pads and rotors.  If aftermarket, what are good brands?
Should I have the rotors turned, or just replace them?

I probably haven't done a brake job in 8-10 years.

The vehicle is a 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee and this will be the first time brakes have been done (low mileage).

Thanks for your input.

ETA:. It's a Grand Cherokee with the 5.7.  It's driven pretty gently and it's not really a daily driver as I have a company take home car.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 7:38:59 PM EDT
[#1]
akebono for pads.

centric for rotors.

replace rotors/don't turn rotors.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 7:43:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By JLPettimoreIII:
akebono for pads.

centric for rotors.

View Quote
Thank you.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 7:44:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Mds238:
Thank you.
View Quote
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 7:46:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Powerstop rotors from Rock Auto are another decent brand. Have them on my truck (only been about a month). My son-in-law has them on his Duramax. Those have been on there almost 2 yrs. Doing fine.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 7:49:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Turning rotors isn't worth it these days. I did my 2016 Silverado fronts last year using one of these kits on Amazon. Zero issues. Stops fine, no noise.

Linky
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 7:50:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Pallas] [#6]
I've always had good luck with Centric rotors.

The Ferd dealership said my rear brake pads were done when I had it in for warranty work, they turned the rotors and IMHO didn't do a very good job, now the rotors are wack. I should have said no. I agree with the above poster, just buy new ones.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 7:51:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Centric rotors and Black Magic brake pads.
I did a two axel brake job using these a couple of weeks ago. I followed the break-in procedure and took my wife for a ride.
This is a 2003 Jeep wrangler with 33x 12.5x 15.
We were doing about 45 mph and I said "Hang on, I'm going to test the new brakes."
I locked them up and left two 12.5 inch wide black marks.
There is no way I could have locked them up without those pads, expensive but well worth it.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 7:51:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Bogdan] [#8]
Cheapest pads cheapest rotors because you take to the mfg. dealer who doesnt give a shit and doesnt bother cleaning the hub or checking for concentricity and you have 25 thousands of runout.

Edit: you are in NY definitely not going to clean up the hub or the caliper bracket with the rust flakes pushing the clips and seizing the pads too.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 7:52:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DaveM4K] [#9]
Detroit Axle rotors for that vehicle.  Power stop brake pads
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 7:53:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Bogdan:
Cheapest pads cheapest rotors because you take to the mfg. dealer who doesnt give a shit and doesnt bother cleaning the hub or checking for concentricity and you have 25 thousands of runout.

Edit: you are in NY definitely not going to clean up the hub or the caliper bracket with the rust flakes pushing the clips and seizing the pads too.
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/26/2024 7:55:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Also this may be an issue if you drive a lot and get a lot of salt (Here in WNY) some better pads are a must due to rust flaking and basically brakes seizing up unless you take them apart once a year and clean.
NRS brake pads are made in Canada and are galvanized, decent street performance and very low brake dust.

Link Posted: 8/26/2024 7:56:02 PM EDT
[#12]

Sarcasm. Want me to explain the technical side of it?
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 8:01:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Centric or Powerstop rotors.
Hawk LTS pads.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 8:04:22 PM EDT
[#14]
akebono for pads.

centric for rotors.

View Quote

Boom.  FPNI
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 8:06:22 PM EDT
[#15]

View Quote
I can lay the jeep up for a few days so I'll take the time to thoroughly clean the rust from everything.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 8:07:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Also this may be an issue if you drive a lot and get a lot of salt (Here in WNY) some better pads are a must due to rust flaking and basically brakes seizing up unless you take them apart once a year and clean.
NRS brake pads are made in Canada and are galvanized, decent street performance and very low brake dust.

View Quote
The low brake dust is a definite plus.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 8:13:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BuddyChryst] [#17]
Not terribly happy with the Power Stops I put on my wife’s minivan. They are drilled/slotted, because she kept getting a bit of a throb, so I thought staying cooler might help. The first ones wore weird.

ETA: I found the pic I send their customer service:

Attachment Attached File

I asked them to exchange for the cheaper non-drilled/slotted, but they wouldn’t. They’re worse than bad rotors with vibrations/hum. If it was my daily driver I probably would’ve switched them out and ate the loss.

I used Centric rotors on my car.  They only lasted 2 years. Tried Dynamic Friction and they’re going well so far. Pads I’ll use Akebono, Wagner, or now Dynamic Friction.

So until something goes different, I’m currently happy enough with Dynamic Friction.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 8:14:45 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Mds238:
I can lay the jeep up for a few days so I'll take the time to thoroughly clean the rust from everything.
View Quote

You familiar with cleaning up the mounting surfaces to reduce runout, greasing pins and not over greasing them so they cant go all the way in and cleaning up the surfaces for the clips that the pads slide in?
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 8:15:59 PM EDT
[#19]
akebono for pads.

centric for rotors.

View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 8:18:03 PM EDT
[#20]
ebs or powerstop brakes. i run drilled/slotted on all my stuff, stainless braided hoses to new calipers. 3 jeeps and a dodge, never had an issue, once brakes are properly bedded.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 8:21:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Ender875] [#21]
Originally Posted By hummerbk:
I did a two axel brake job using these a couple of weeks ago. I followed the break-in procedure and took my wife for a ride.
We were doing about 45 mph and I said "Hang on, I'm going to test the new brakes."
There is no way I could have locked them up without those pads, expensive but well worth it.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File

thats not how you bed the brakes.  Surprised you dont get a shudder when braking from highway speeds.  Shouldnt lock them up.  Firm yes, lock up no no no
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 8:33:38 PM EDT
[#22]
View Quote

2003? Should have ABS. Probably should get that looked at.

I went all Hawk on my Audi.

Power stop, akebono, centric, all good stuff. It's a jeep. You don't need carbon ceramic this and that. Go with a quality rotor and a decent pad. Bimetallic would be fine. A basic ceramic would be fine. No need for a track pad or anything crazy.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 8:34:23 PM EDT
[#23]
Aftermarket on Rockauto unless you are really abusing the brakes.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 8:39:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Gordo556] [#24]
I use the OEM GM Police brake rotors and pads on my Silverado.

larger OD. better metal. more vanes for cooling. the pads have more surface area if you look at Silverado pads vs police Silverado pads. they contact the whole rotor and dont have the beveled edges, much like the Tahoe pads. they are made for hard fast stops. been holding up GREAT. 6 years old on the truck. no noise. no vibrations. nothing. probably have only 50k on them so far.

the power stops my buddy uses are junk. he drives the same amount as I do and they warp. rocks get caught in them. he went OEM this time around. he had 2 sets of PS brakes. junk. 50k, 3 sets of brakes to my 1 set.   I have my old rotors and pads I offered up to him with 20k on them and he is thick headed..

Link Posted: 8/26/2024 8:41:23 PM EDT
[#25]
OEM most after market parts are sketchy.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 8:45:15 PM EDT
[#26]
View Quote

Jeep didn’t have AntiSkid by 2003?    
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 8:45:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: LostX] [#27]
NAPA Premium are made by Centric and can be a bit less. And yes, Akebono for pads.

[rant] And don't cheap out. Lives depend on your brakes -- yours and others. I don't know why people cheap out on them or tires. The two most important things on your vehicle. Especially these stupid bro-dozers and other wannabe "off road" trucks with their stupid shit tires made by some shitty Chicom company. [/rant]
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 8:45:22 PM EDT
[#28]
Autozone Gold are crap.

I've been happy with Powerstop.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 8:56:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WDEagle] [#29]
Jeep Grand Cherokee @ Rock Auto
Always a 5% off coupon to be found on the internet.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 9:00:32 PM EDT
[#30]
Toyota and Lexus do best with OEM.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 9:05:17 PM EDT
[#31]
Used a Powerstop kit on mine a year or so back. Nothing but pleased with them.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 9:05:51 PM EDT
[#32]
Getting close to having my front brakes done for the first time on my 08 3500 Silverado at 130k had the back ones done at 110k
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 9:06:06 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By WDEagle:
Jeep Grand Cherokee @ Rock Auto
Always a 5% off coupon to be found on the internet.
View Quote

Newest Rock Auto Code

Expires on September 20th, 2024
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 9:06:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WDEagle] [#34]
Originally Posted By Amped:
View Quote

Be sure to compare prices at different Lexus & Toyota Dealers.

I ordered OEM Toyota parts shipped from Serra Toyota of Decatur Alabama for way less than any local dealer would sell them for.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 9:07:44 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By RodMI:
View Quote

Centric is far from sketchy.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 9:12:48 PM EDT
[#36]
I just put Raybestos coated rotors and their EHT Element 3 pads on my Charger. Those pads are a hybrid, having the bite of a semi metallic and low dust/longevity of a ceramic.

I bedded them two weeks ago and this combo had been the best setup I've ever ran. Quiet, low dust, and very good stopping power (even when the brakes are cold). Rotors and pads were $320 shipped from Rockauto.

They may be cheap but honestly you can't really find any bad reviews on these pads/rotors.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 9:16:46 PM EDT
[#37]
Always aftermarket,  I'm lucky to get 30,000 out of a set of factory tires and breaks.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 9:19:42 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By Amped:
View Quote

Which are made by Akebono.

Link Posted: 8/26/2024 9:19:55 PM EDT
[#39]
View Quote

It surprises me when I hear people even think of turning them.... every time I've had ANY reason to think of replacing a rotor over the last 35+ years, they were below minimum thickness.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 9:23:22 PM EDT
[#40]
Another vote for Centric rotors from Rock Auto. I get the CGX or Premium rotor. I will also use Powerstop rotors. For pads I use OEM, Akebono, Centric or Powerstop. If you go on Rock Auto they gave a heart next to popular parts. Stick with those brands.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 9:25:45 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By glocknick:
Another vote for Centric rotors from Rock Auto. I get the CGX or Premium rotor. I will also use Powerstop rotors. For pads I use OEM, Akebono, Centric or Powerstop. If you go on Rock Auto they gave a heart next to popular parts. Stick with those brands.
View Quote

Excellent point.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 9:31:48 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By RodMI:
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/26/2024 9:33:40 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By Ender875:

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/no1-191.gif

thats not how you bed the brakes.  Surprised you dont get a shudder when braking from highway speeds.  Shouldnt lock them up.  Firm yes, lock up no no no
View Quote

The bedding process took two days and consisted of a number of fairly hard almost stops and then a period of continuous driving to cool them.

I don't have antilock brakes and have never been able to lock em up at 45mph before.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 9:33:49 PM EDT
[#44]
Aftermarket is fine.  I use Centric.  Just replace the rotors.  It's all cheap enough.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 9:35:07 PM EDT
[#45]
Power Stop Z36 pads and rotors on my Expedition about 100k miles ago.  They've been great.   Specially since to OEM rear pads and rotors were toast at 30k miles.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 9:38:06 PM EDT
[#46]
Just avoid those racing/slotted rotors. Mine always sound like it's grinding rotors. After checking twice, I have accepted that most brake applications will be cringy.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 9:48:57 PM EDT
[#47]
$400 for drilled and slotted Centric rotors and Akebono ProACT ceramic pads when it's time on the 200 Series.  Plus misc hardware. A bargain.

Link Posted: 8/26/2024 9:54:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FALARAK] [#48]
Originally Posted By Cantshootstrate:
Just avoid those racing/slotted rotors. Mine always sound like it's grinding rotors. After checking twice, I have accepted that most brake applications will be cringy.
View Quote

I have drilled and slotted rotors, just because that came as a kit for my Ford with PowerStops upgraded towing/heavy duty system, which included new calipers, rotors, and pads.  

I have not had a single problem with them.  However, they don't really offer anything special since they are the same size as OEM and the PowerStop calipers are just rebuilt OEM with quality components and powder coated.  They still will experience extreme brake fade just as bad as the OEM did if I get them hot.  I just hope they cool down a little quicker.

Link Posted: 8/26/2024 9:57:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FALARAK] [#49]
Originally Posted By PhuzzyGnu:

$400 for drilled and slotted Centric rotors and Akebono ProACT ceramic pads when it's time on the 200 Series.  Plus misc hardware. A bargain.
View Quote

What's the application?  Seems really expensive just to get rotors that might not help anything.   My Centric coated rotors were $63 a pair and my ProACT pads were $44 on my last purchase.  $107 plus shipping and tax for an axle.

Link Posted: 8/26/2024 9:57:54 PM EDT
[#50]
I second the Akebono pads !
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top