Page / 25
You Must Be Logged In To Vote

Link Posted: 2/3/2023 7:44:10 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Cincinnatus:
Question:

I have good scotch bonnet seeds.

I want to get some seedlings started in Dixie cups (okay?)

How many seeds per hole/cup?
View Quote

I do one seed per vessel. Just easier that way for me and simple
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 8:01:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: BLK_MAJK] [#2]
I ended up with like 80 plants last year between my order from white hot, the bonus seeds they sent and a couple starters I grabbed from a family friends nursery.  Decided to up my garden game and built a greenhouse last fall before the weather turned.  I don't think I'll grow 80 pepper plants (I gave away a bunch, froze a bunch, and still had some go bad on me).  Everything from blazing banana to reapers to chocolate ghosts and many others.

Last year (ended up being kinda overcrowded)
Attachment Attached File

New greenhouse
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 8:04:54 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By WhiskersTheCat:
What are you guys planting this year?

I'm going to get some seeds started in late February.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/425212/20230115_133332-2681784.jpg
View Quote

@WhiskersTheCat

I just placed an order with Baker for the Chiltepin peppers above and I’m going to start it as soon as I get the seeds.  I also got Carolina Reaper seeds from them.  I have grown those successfully before!
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 8:17:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By C-4:

@WhiskersTheCat

I just placed an order with Baker for the Chiltepin peppers above and I’m going to start it as soon as I get the seeds.  I also got Carolina Reaper seeds from them.  I have grown those successfully before!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By C-4:
What are you guys planting this year?

I'm going to get some seeds started in late February.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/425212/20230115_133332-2681784.jpg

@WhiskersTheCat

HOORAY for native peppers. I haven't tried these 7pot before so I'm not sure where they rank

I tried the Buena Multa last year, and why it was cool looking and productive I didn't like the taste very much. It was also weird the purple peppers turned white when canned. I'm happy I tried it but won't again
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 8:34:05 AM EDT
[#5]

Anything done with a bell pepper can be done better with a hot pepper. And I'm not saying every pepper must melt your face off but I mean come on with these bell peppers
View Quote

My kids love to eat the bell peppers raw as a snack. They won't for the hotter varieties. Think of it as a gateway pepper.
Link Posted: 2/6/2023 7:45:34 PM EDT
[#6]

I start them in peat moss plugs under grow lamps.

From there I'll put some in pots with potting soil, and I'll move some to the actual ground.

Even funnier, I like to guerilla garden. I will sprout extras and then plant the peat plugs in random places around town. Some of them take, some die but it is really funny seeing a pepper plant behind like a tire store or something you planted.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By lockinload:
Whiskers, do you start your seeds in potting soil or do you mix it with your regular soil.

I start them in peat moss plugs under grow lamps.

From there I'll put some in pots with potting soil, and I'll move some to the actual ground.

Even funnier, I like to guerilla garden. I will sprout extras and then plant the peat plugs in random places around town. Some of them take, some die but it is really funny seeing a pepper plant behind like a tire store or something you planted.

Guerrilla gardening I’m definitely doing that this year
Link Posted: 2/6/2023 7:53:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Cooking up some hot sauce with frozen two year old ghosties as we speak!
Link Posted: 2/10/2023 11:22:17 PM EDT
[#8]

Link Posted: 2/10/2023 11:51:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Oldgold:
Same as usual.
Bells, jalapeño, and banana.
View Quote

Pretty much this....

I am getting my garden beds together and am so stoked!!!

Upset that had to leave garden at last home - peppers, tomatoes and trees where thriving and growing...

But it's all good, God willing, will rebuild and start again...
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 4:37:17 PM EDT
[#10]

HOORAY for native peppers. I haven't tried these 7pot before so I'm not sure where they rank

I tried the Buena Multa last year, and why it was cool looking and productive I didn't like the taste very much. It was also weird the purple peppers turned white when canned. I'm happy I tried it but won't again
View Quote

What didn't you like about the taste of the Buena Mulata? I grew them for the first time last year and liked them quite a bit. I was really disappointed that they would not keep the color when dried. Like when you canned them, they just turned sort of a light brown. I'm growing a few this year, but only two plants since they are prolific and don't seem to preserve well.

As for others, I've sprouted a few Poblano, Giant Marconi, Mad Hatter, King Naga and Peter. I tried to sprout a couple of Brazilian Starfish, but they didn't come up. I'm going to give those another try. I'll also grow Serrano, Banana and Shishito. But I'll just buy those as bedding plants from Home depot.
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 5:11:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By FIRE1:

What didn't you like about the taste of the Buena Mulata? I grew them for the first time last year and liked them quite a bit. I was really disappointed that they would not keep the color when dried. Like when you canned them, they just turned sort of a light brown. I'm growing a few this year, but only two plants since they are prolific and don't seem to preserve well.

As for others, I've sprouted a few Poblano, Giant Marconi, Mad Hatter, King Naga and Peter. I tried to sprout a couple of Brazilian Starfish, but they didn't come up. I'm going to give those another try. I'll also grow Serrano, Banana and Shishito. But I'll just buy those as bedding plants from Home depot.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By FIRE1:

I didn't hate them, I just didn't particularly like them. And like yours mine turned colors when canning.

I will say they were very productive. If I had more room I might grow one as an ornamental
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 5:17:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 6:00:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 2/17/2023 7:24:17 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Hill_monkey:

Those look awesome.
View Quote

Yeah they do.  Ordered through Bohica.
Link Posted: 2/17/2023 12:25:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Orded some goodies from pucker butt last night.

Peach clavo
Nuggets
Chocolate scotch bonnets
Bahamian goat peppers
And reapers becuase dumb.

Still eating canned salsa from last year and going to put up at least double that this year and want to try some homemade hot sauces.

Last years scorpions grew really well and the spice was this wonderful visceral sinus thing but the flavor was trash. Hoping for better this year from some of these varieties.
Link Posted: 2/18/2023 1:58:37 PM EDT
[#16]
I gave a plant to my mom to over-winter in her classroom and it survived. That will be pretty cool as it is my first multi year pepper. I forget what type it is.

In turn I'm sprouting some Columbine and Cardinal with my peppers to attract hummingbirds. I've already got some peppers popping up.
Link Posted: 2/18/2023 2:00:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Equestrian:

Peach clavo
Nuggets
Chocolate scotch bonnets
Bahamian goat peppers

Still eating canned salsa from last year and going to put up at least double that this year and want to try some homemade hot sauces.

Last years scorpions grew really well and the spice was this wonderful visceral sinus thing but the flavor was trash. Hoping for better this year from some of these varieties.
View Quote

What are the goat peppers about
Link Posted: 2/19/2023 6:40:10 PM EDT
[#18]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Equestrian:

Peach clavo
Nuggets
Chocolate scotch bonnets
Bahamian goat peppers

No clue! They're a first try for me. But they looked and sounded neat. Pastel peach color, supposed to be in the habenero heat range with a very fruity flavor and large bushes with lots of fruits. So worth a go.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/19/2023 6:46:08 PM EDT
[#19]
I just started some seeds in those little biodegradable pots.
There are going to be some of those Japanese green beans, squash, cucumbers, cilantro, basil, the okra come later.
I will also be buying some tomato and pepper plants.
Link Posted: 2/21/2023 12:47:18 PM EDT
[#20]
Started some seeds 2/6 and 2/19. 100% germination so far 25/25.
Trying some different peppers this year.
Calabrian
Allepo
Aji Lemon
Chimayo
Hatch red hot
Serrano
Jalapeno
and some Basil and Tomato's
Link Posted: 2/21/2023 12:48:05 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 2/21/2023 12:52:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PointBlank82] [#22]
Attachment Attached File

A few disappointments, but most germinated well.

Will be planting the best looking 15-20 plants at the new house in March.
Link Posted: 2/21/2023 12:54:46 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By sc_beerbarge:
Started some seeds 2/6 and 2/19. 100% germination so far 25/25.
Trying some different peppers this year.
Calabrian
Allepo
Aji Lemon
Chimayo
Hatch red hot
Serrano
Jalapeno
and some Basil and Tomato's
View Quote

Originally Posted By Cincinnatus:
My large Scotch Bonnets are sprouting.
View Quote

I've got some helicopters (sprout with the two initial leaves) but others are still no go.

One is a type I've never got to sprout from Afghanistan.

My Chiltepin always sprout first, they must know they're on American soil
Link Posted: 2/21/2023 12:57:01 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By PointBlank82:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/310106/20230219_172546_jpg-2719493.JPG

View Quote

What's your strategy for covered vs uncovered?

I'm covering mine with a seed warming mat at the bottom
Link Posted: 2/21/2023 12:58:54 PM EDT
[#25]
I have a small pepper garden with Tobasco, Jalapeno, Poblano, and Red Ghost planted right now.
Link Posted: 2/21/2023 5:41:34 PM EDT
[#26]

View All Quotes
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/310106/20230219_172546_jpg-2719493.JPG

No heating mats
Link Posted: 2/21/2023 6:06:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WDEagle] [#27]
2023 New Additions
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

Some of the survivors from 2021/22 (already coming back out.)
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/22/2023 2:34:24 PM EDT
[#28]
Diced red, yellow  and Jalapeno peppers in the mix and my home pickled Jalapenos on top.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/22/2023 2:42:26 PM EDT
[#29]

Arguing about guns and other stuff we all like is like 40% of why I come here.

Both of you have decent ideas except wax and bell. Bell peppers are so stupid I hate them. They are the worst.

"Hello I'm a pepper with zero heat and the least amount of flavor"

Anything done with a bell pepper can be done better with a hot pepper. And I'm not saying every pepper must melt your face off but I mean come on with these bell peppers
View Quote

Idk how you guys eat that shit.

It’s all melt your face off hot .

Jalapeños are ridiculous hot to me . When I was young , a buddy and I thought we could get used to the heat by eating them all the time .

Yeah, no. All I did was get stomach aches every day , lol.

I got a bunch of seeds from a member here for some long skinny red ones , I don’t remember what they were . I got 8-10 plants started, they all died , never got one pepper . I’ve got the seeds around here somewhere , I should get some going again , just for something to try
Link Posted: 2/22/2023 2:46:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WDEagle] [#30]
Originally Posted By dsteelman:

Idk how you guys eat that shit.

It’s all melt your face off hot .

Jalapeños are ridiculous hot to me . When I was young , a buddy and I thought we could get used to the heat by eating them all the time .

Yeah, no. All I did was get stomach aches every day , lol.

I got a bunch of seeds from a member here for some long skinny red ones , I don’t remember what they were . I got 8-10 plants started, they all died , never got one pepper . I’ve got the seeds around here somewhere , I should get some going again , just for something to try
View Quote

Cayanne

Cowhorn
Link Posted: 2/22/2023 2:49:58 PM EDT
[#31]
Ghost, Reapers and Scorpions. Last year I planted the same and didn't have any success. I have a small grow tent and greenhouse for this year.
Link Posted: 2/22/2023 2:51:00 PM EDT
[#32]

Looks right. At the time he said they weren’t hot hot, but I don’t remember asking if they were hot like jalapeños , most hot lovers don’t think they’re hot at all , but I sure do, I’m currently looking for the rest of the seeds
Link Posted: 2/22/2023 2:52:00 PM EDT
[#33]

Both of you have decent ideas except wax and bell. Bell peppers are so stupid I hate them. They are the worst.

View Quote

What pepper do you use when you want to make some sort of stuffed pepper for a meal? And poppers are not a meal, that’s an appetizer
Link Posted: 2/22/2023 2:56:04 PM EDT
[#34]
The truly worst part in moving is if you like to garden. We're going to buy a house this spring about 30 miles away, so I'm planning to grow stuff only in 15 gallon grow bags that I can haul there in a U-Haul. My wife thinks I'm nuts, but I gotta have my fresh tomatoes and peppers!

I'll add some Anaheim peppers to the mix. Most of the bell peppers I grew last year got blended into tomato sauce, adding some meatiness.
View Quote

That part of moving sucks for sure. I’m lucky to be less than 2 hrs away from my parents now, so I just help them plant more stuff in their garden on the farm, and make trips to help harvest and get fresh stuff!
Link Posted: 2/22/2023 3:01:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WDEagle] [#35]
Originally Posted By jasoncar40:

That part of moving sucks for sure. I’m lucky to be less than 2 hrs away from my parents now, so I just help them plant more stuff in their garden on the farm, and make trips to help harvest and get fresh stuff!
View Quote

Growing up in Alabama, my Grandfather had a farm.  He planted peas, butterbeans, yellow squash, okra, eggplant, tomatoes, cucumbers, & hot peppers.  During the summer most big meals during the week were nothing but vegetable, some sort of bread & hot peppers.  I started eating the hot ones in about the 3rd grade, so I've been eating hot stuff for the last 56 years.
Link Posted: 2/22/2023 3:08:30 PM EDT
[#36]
I'm using 5 gallon fabric bags

Anyone have any experience with them?

Wondering if I can cram 2 of the smaller, habanero plants into one or if that will just give me two shitty little runts

Also doing Baklouti, peach sugar rush, and Jimmy nardello
Link Posted: 2/22/2023 3:09:13 PM EDT
[#37]

What pepper do you use when you want to make some sort of stuffed pepper for a meal? And poppers are not a meal, that’s an appetizer
View All Quotes

Large jalapeños.

I'm going to work on cross breeding a bell to make giant hot peppers though
Link Posted: 2/22/2023 3:11:35 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By Mah_lee:

Wondering if I can cram 2 of the smaller, habanero plants into one or if that will just give me two shitty little runts

View Quote

Most people will say one pepper plant/5 gallon bucket.
Link Posted: 2/22/2023 3:13:24 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By Mah_lee:

View Quote
Tried those fabric bags last season and couldn't get anything to grow in them.
Link Posted: 2/22/2023 3:13:48 PM EDT
[#40]
Pepperoncinis, Poblanos,Orange bell,Jalapenos and Anaheim so far.

My wife just placed an order with Baker Creek and she found several pepper varieties she wanted to try this year.
Link Posted: 2/22/2023 3:14:49 PM EDT
[#41]
Planting? None.
Lasering me some peppers though
Link Posted: 2/22/2023 3:15:43 PM EDT
[#42]
I've never planted peppers before, but I should.  Tagged.  
Link Posted: 2/22/2023 3:27:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Vap0rWav3r] [#43]
We're planning on moving before/during summer so I probably won't get a chance to plant anything this year.

My jalapenos last year came out weird. I'm not quite sure what happened to them if they mixed/cross-polinated with something else or just weren't good plants or what. I bought a couple flats of seedlings from our local greenhouse and they grew fine and produced peppers, but the heat was very inconsistent. I took a small bite of one of the peppers and it was as mild as a bell pepper, then I told my wife to take a bite and assured her it wasn't spicy...the next 1/4" of the pepper was the hottest, asshole melting jalapeno I've ever experienced. She started flipping out after she took a nibble and I thought she was messing with me, she wasn't, I took a bite of it and it was spicy as hell for a jalapeno.

Almost all the heat in the pepper was up high and they got more and more mild the closer you got towards the tip, they grew to about 3-4" long.
Link Posted: 2/22/2023 3:29:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WDEagle] [#44]
Originally Posted By WinstonSmith:
I've never planted peppers before, but I should.  Tagged.  
View Quote

Give it a try.  Go to Home Depot and buy:

5 gallon buckets (3 ea) [$15]
2 cubic feet bag of potting soil [$16]
3 pepper plants (Jalapenos work great and can turn into multi year bushes if wintered correctly) [$15]

~$50 is probably the cheapest (& easiest) hobby that you will ever pick up on Arfcom.

Drill several holes in the bottom of the buckets
Fill the buckets with potting soil
Plant the pepper plants and provide some sort of support (stake or cage)

Edit:  If you have a sunny place for a garden then it's even easier.

Link Posted: 2/22/2023 3:40:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: whiskey_bravo] [#45]
Did 120 seed starts this past weekend and will do 80 more this coming weekend.  "should finish up the greenhouse this weekend also.  Just need the door and plastic.  

As far as peppers go...

Jalapeno
Habanero
Cayenne
chinese 5 hot
red bell
yellow bell
mini bell
Link Posted: 2/22/2023 3:46:58 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By whiskey_bravo:
Did 120 seed starts this past weekend and will do 80 more this coming weekend.  "should finish up the greenhouse this weekend also.  Just need the door and plastic.  

As far as peppers go...

Jalapeno
Habanero
Cayenne
chinese 5 hot
red bell
yellow bell
mini bell
View Quote

Jealous
Link Posted: 2/22/2023 3:50:24 PM EDT
[#47]
Jalapeno
Habanero
Ghost
Hatch
Hallow's eve
Scotch Brains
Bahamian Goat
Kahn's Brains
Black Pearl
Sugar Rush Peach Stripey
Chocolate Reaper
Red Bell

Think I'm forgetting a handful.  All started last month.  Hoping for around 50 pepper plants this year.
Link Posted: 2/22/2023 3:51:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Triplelocked] [#48]
double tap.

But forgot:
Thai Chilis
Hungarian Wax
7 pot
Poblano
Link Posted: 2/22/2023 4:06:55 PM EDT
[#49]
After seeing that tobasco tree I'm gona plant a few seeds. I could get 2 years out my old plants before they gave up. Haven't done them since the move, but still have seeds.
Link Posted: 2/22/2023 4:54:57 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By SmokeEater2:
Pepperoncinis, Poblanos,Orange bell,Jalapenos and Anaheim so far.

My wife just placed an order with Baker Creek and she found several pepper varieties she wanted to try this year.
View Quote

I just placed an order for 7 varieties of hot pepper seeds from them.
Page / 25
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top