Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
OFFICIAL Russo-Ukrainian War (Page 1677 of 5591)
Page / 5591
You Must Be Logged In To Vote

Link Posted: 4/18/2022 12:29:10 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/18/2022 12:33:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By GreenMushroom:

I would assume at best it's 3rd behind drinking and sodomy.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By glklvr:

Firefighting isn't a priority in the Russian navy.

I would assume at best it's 3rd behind drinking and sodomy.

To be fair, 'Rum, Sodomy, and the Lash' conquered much of the world in the 1700-1800's.

https://www.theguardian.com/notesandqueries/query/0,,-1433,00.html
Link Posted: 4/18/2022 12:34:12 AM EDT
[#3]
How does the Turkish drone bayraktar tb2 work
Link Posted: 4/18/2022 12:42:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By bigstick61:

The good thread getting sent to the military forum was quite upsetting.  It would have been better placed in Team if the goal was to keep the trolls out.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By sq40:

You bring up a good point.

There is a lack of information on the changing lines, offenses, and defense moves that has been driving me batty. I would really like to see more information on how the front is going and who is making progress where.

Unfortunately what happened was all the people who know what they're talking about went off to a thread in the .mil forum and this thread was hijacked by a few narcissists who's primary purpose was feigning moral superiority and talking down to people. The end result of this was no one knowing what's going on and a lot of people shifting over to a fuck the Ukrainians and Russians stance due to all the trolling. The trolls it seems couldn't contain themselves and eventually got too over the top and people are largely ignoring them now. More maps are being posted and hopefully something resembling a normal discussion can start taking place.

Eta there have been a few people posting good info all along but it was almost impossible to find in all the bullshit and they were of course trolled because they weren't posting that Putin committed suicide 3 weeks ago.

The good thread getting sent to the military forum was quite upsetting.  It would have been better placed in Team if the goal was to keep the trolls out.

The site needs a restricted forum that is vetted and only known members are allowed in to discuss such topics whether .mil or not. I think after 23 years on this site I should be able to read such topics as it is more about world affairs than US military topics.
Link Posted: 4/18/2022 1:00:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By HiramRanger:

The site needs a restricted forum that is vetted and only known members are allowed in to discuss such topics whether .mil or not. I think after 23 years on this site I should be able to read such topics as it is more about world affairs than US military topics.
View All Quotes

There is a lack of information on the changing lines, offenses, and defense moves that has been driving me batty. I would really like to see more information on how the front is going and who is making progress where.

Unfortunately what happened was all the people who know what they're talking about went off to a thread in the .mil forum and this thread was hijacked by a few narcissists who's primary purpose was feigning moral superiority and talking down to people. The end result of this was no one knowing what's going on and a lot of people shifting over to a fuck the Ukrainians and Russians stance due to all the trolling. The trolls it seems couldn't contain themselves and eventually got too over the top and people are largely ignoring them now. More maps are being posted and hopefully something resembling a normal discussion can start taking place.

Eta there have been a few people posting good info all along but it was almost impossible to find in all the bullshit and they were of course trolled because they weren't posting that Putin committed suicide 3 weeks ago.

IIRC, it was a reflexive action by the creator to get it moved there and he didn't consider moving it to Team at the time; I don't believe that the reasons stated by him for moving it to the military form were such as to require it to go there.

And sad to say, but we probably do need to have a forum like Team, but for vetted members, vetted in the sense that they aren't known for trolling, spamming, etc. and tend to have a higher average post quality.  Not sure how feasible that is, though.  It would definitely require a top-notch mod or mods as the gatekeeper(s).
Link Posted: 4/18/2022 1:02:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Ryan_Ruck] [#6]

View Quote

Some other niche forums I frequent have reputation points. Members feel you contribute, you get rep from them. A forum with access based on rep would accomplish that.

Problem is, as I've said before, site ownership isn't interested in quality per se, they're interested in new signups and engagements/clicks. That's what drives ad dollars. GD generates those. If they were interested in quality in GD it would be a (lightly) restricted access forum. The days you and I know of this place being a close knit, member supported community are, sadly, long over.

Instead we now embrace low post count accounts from the land of the ladyboys that suddenly take a prodigious interest in sowing pro-Russia propaganda. That's apparently the future here.
Link Posted: 4/18/2022 1:10:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Prime] [#7]
About two days old.
Link Posted: 4/18/2022 1:14:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: KELBEAST] [#8]
Originally Posted By Waldo:

How are the water cannons running?  Do the fire pumps have their own diesel power plant?  ( I know nothing about how it works on a ship, so humor me)
View Quote

Typically for US design ships you’ll have multiple electrical fire pumps powered by ships gens. At least 1 more electrical fire pump far outside the engine room powered by an emergency generator (also outside, usually in aft steering space, with its own independent fuel tank), and multiple portable diesel firefighting pumps (p100) that can be jumpered back in to ship’s piping, or can supply a few hose/nozzles directly

Depending on configuration, some ships ASW (aux salt water, HVAC cooling) can be cross connected to the fire main so you can use ASW pumps for firefighting pressure once you adjust pressure up

Also some ships (CGC alex Haley for example) have a large fire pump driven mechanically by an engine almost the size of one of the electrical gensets.

And lastly, the fire main system is almost always able to be isolated into segments using valves. We could supply aft, amidships, and forward each with their own fire pump in case of battle damage to the fire main itself. There were lots of jumper (2.5” connection) so you could use soft hoses to isolate damage and route around it. A competent trained crew could handle a lot thrown at them. An explosion in the ships magazine (without Yoke being set) that took out a huge portion of the systems, spaces and most of the already incompetent drunk crew… yeah that’s hard to come back from
Link Posted: 4/18/2022 1:22:00 AM EDT
[#9]
Translation: The military of the Russian Federation found prohibited ammunition at the former positions of the Armed Forces of Ukraine

Link Posted: 4/18/2022 1:25:33 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By realwar:
Translation: The military of the Russian Federation found prohibited ammunition at the former positions of the Armed Forces of Ukraine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05oyCpbrGZI
View Quote

Uh, what made it prohibited?
Link Posted: 4/18/2022 1:27:11 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Prime:
About two days old.
View Quote

I was in Tbilisi when one of the first ones was killed, this was his memorial service.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/18/2022 1:28:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: dillydilly] [#12]

IIRC, it was a reflexive action by the creator to get it moved there and he didn't consider moving it to Team at the time; I don't believe that the reasons stated by him for moving it to the military form were such as to require it to go there.

And sad to say, but we probably do need to have a forum like Team, but for vetted members, vetted in the sense that they aren't known for trolling, spamming, etc. and tend to have a higher average post quality.  Not sure how feasible that is, though.  It would definitely require a top-notch mod or mods as the gatekeeper(s).
View Quote

I’m trying to find said thread. Where is it?

ETA: .mil forum I see for which I don’t have access to.
Link Posted: 4/18/2022 1:28:14 AM EDT
[#13]

View All Quotes

The guy that started the original Osint thread asked for it to be moved to the military forum so it could be a more serious discussion without the shenanigans of GD. When I complained and said if that was the case then it should have been moved to team, he agreed and said he didn't think about team when he asked for it to be moved, but wouldn't ask for it to moved again.

I got some flak from folks thinking I was jumping on him when I wasn't.

this

Attachment Attached File

is what got people upset thinking it was directed at him when it was directed at the site.

My complaint was like yours. I pay to be a member here. There shouldn't be anyplace I can't go.

I don't have to be a registered scuba diver to go to the scuba forum, or a professional photographer to got to the photography forum, why should I have to prove I was in the .mil to go into the .mil forum.

The shit of it is, I was in the military, and am a disabled veteran, but I was discharged 34 years ago and I don't wear it on my sleeve anymore. Hell I'm not even sure I could find my DD214 again.

I'm slowly dying of kidney failure after cancer took my good kidney a few years ago, between that and the excruciating pain I am in from my disability, I simply don't care enough about this to go through the trouble of proving anything to anyone anymore. The state is lucky Mrs BGB renews the tags and my drivers license because I could not care less.

So I'm here enjoying the shenanigans of GD and putting trolls on the ignore list and trying to decide what I'm going to ask Mrs BGB to make for my birthday dinner in tomorrow. Needs to be special I don't have too many left, at least I hope not.

Link Posted: 4/18/2022 1:50:35 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 4/18/2022 1:54:30 AM EDT
[#15]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05oyCpbrGZI
View Quote

JSP / OTM?
Link Posted: 4/18/2022 2:00:55 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 4/18/2022 2:35:05 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By JustaGunNut:

View Quote

I have the same question
Link Posted: 4/18/2022 3:19:05 AM EDT
[#18]

View Quote

It's probably a Russian slang for confiscated weapons.
Link Posted: 4/18/2022 3:26:11 AM EDT
[#19]

Link Posted: 4/18/2022 3:37:36 AM EDT
[#20]

Bit of moskva footage. Hopefully more to come out soon.
Link Posted: 4/18/2022 3:41:58 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By TheLurker:

Bit of moskva footage. Hopefully more to come out soon.
View Quote

Age restricted and I refuse to get a twitter account.
Link Posted: 4/18/2022 3:49:09 AM EDT
[Last Edit: x248716x] [#22]
Link Posted: 4/18/2022 4:11:05 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Zam18th:

View Quote

God, one can only hope it cuts the Russians off and they capture a ton of POWs. Thought we’d see that in Kyiv but either I missed it or it didn’t happen sadly.
Link Posted: 4/18/2022 4:12:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Jack67] [#24]

View Quote

Not slang, he’s talking about hp/expanding bullets vs fmj. That is why he is gesturing with and displaying the mag at the end. The video isn’t clear enough to make that apparent (or maybe they aren’t?). To me all I can tell is they *might* be black tipped, thus AP. Which are not prohibited, but I can’t tell.

So yes, the Orcs are dropping missiles on well-marked civilian shelters, and then publicly whining about the fact that Ukr forces might have had to scrounge up commercial small arms ammo…

As mentioned, I think it may be jsp.
Link Posted: 4/18/2022 4:38:53 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By garwj:
Looks like the stern is blown off.
View Quote

Clarke and Dawe - The Front Fell Off
Link Posted: 4/18/2022 4:55:49 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Kuhndog:

God, one can only hope it cuts the Russians off and they capture a ton of POWs. Thought we'd see that in Kyiv but either I missed it or it didn't happen sadly.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Kuhndog:
Originally Posted By Zam18th:

God, one can only hope it cuts the Russians off and they capture a ton of POWs. Thought we'd see that in Kyiv but either I missed it or it didn't happen sadly.

Ya, fingers crossed that they can hold it and keep advancing. It's exactly the type of victory they need before Mariupol falls and another front opens in earnest.  

Link Posted: 4/18/2022 5:07:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TheLurker] [#27]

Wow. This is a pretty sh!tty tactic. Orcs gonna orc it seems...

Eta. Turns out image is of orc handiwork in Tripoli, not Ukraine. Still awful though.
Link Posted: 4/18/2022 5:10:00 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By Yobro512:

Wtf is this are we sure?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Yobro512:
Originally Posted By jon101st:

Is that our night vision gear they have?

Wtf is this are we sure?

Afganis probably had a yard sale
Link Posted: 4/18/2022 5:16:44 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By Jack67:

Not slang, he’s talking about hp/expanding bullets vs fmj. That is why he is gesturing with and displaying the mag at the end. The video isn’t clear enough to make that apparent (or maybe they aren’t?). To me all I can tell is they *might* be black tipped, thus AP. Which are not prohibited, but I can’t tell.

So yes, the Orcs are dropping missiles on well-marked civilian shelters, and then publicly whining about the fact that Ukr forces might have had to scrounge up commercial small arms ammo…

View All Quotes

Look at the IHL on armed conflict, Russia has broken damn near every rule there is short of nuclear warfare.  Theyve conducted war dressed as civilians, as ambulances, they've utilized anti personell mines, cluster munitiions, chemical warfare, boobytrapping residences and civilian infrastructure after they retreated, used incendiary (white phos) weapons over populated areas, theyve obviously targeted non-combatants, theyve raped and pillaged, executed civilians shit I wouldnt be at all surprised if they are using weapons with clear or xray transparent shrapnel.

And theyre complaining about some BTHP??  Fuck them, hope they get hit with some 30 mike mike soon enough.
Link Posted: 4/18/2022 5:17:57 AM EDT
[#30]

View All Quotes

Well then I guess its a good thing this isn't a war, eh Putin?
Link Posted: 4/18/2022 5:25:30 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By SmilingBandit:

Why do you say that?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By SmilingBandit:
Originally Posted By Abakan:
Originally Posted By Dracster:
"A downed Russian Su-34 was identified in the Kyiv region

Photos with the wreckage of the fighter were first published in early March. The Russian Su-34 fighter-bomber shot down by Ukraine's air defense had the flight number RF-81251 (31 Red).
The fighter-bomber belonged to the 277th Bomber Regiment of Russia."

This one blowed up real good.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/48680/photo_2022-04-17_08-41-34_jpg-2352236.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/48680/photo_2022-04-17_08-41-36_jpg-2352237.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/48680/photo_2022-04-17_08-41-38_jpg-2352238.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/48680/photo_2022-04-17_08-41-35_jpg-2352239.JPG

Not the same maschine

Why do you say that?

Someone needs new glasses

Serial Numbers are not matching and the 31 is outlined white on one and black on the other plane?
Link Posted: 4/18/2022 6:28:34 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By Chokey:

there is not crew access door there. I think it may be a missile hit.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FQlkDZuXIAgurV2?format=jpg&name=orig

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FQlkDZ5XMAMI6Fj?format=jpg&name=orig
View Quote

I think 1-4 at least are from the missile tubes / rocket propellant cooking off.    The one most to the helicopter hangar looks like it  buckled the deck.
Unless the Ukrainians dropped some weapons from their bay raptors after it was disabled, to make sure.
Link Posted: 4/18/2022 6:42:16 AM EDT
[#33]
Russia hits hundreds of targets across Ukraine, fighters cling on in Mariupol

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/ukraines-zelenskiy-condemns-shelling-bodies-line-streets-mariupol-2022-04-18/
Link Posted: 4/18/2022 6:44:44 AM EDT
[#34]

Serial Numbers are not matching and the 31 is outlined white on one and black on the other plane?
View Quote

You can't call out the paint that quickly.  Aircraft actually get painted often and the are NEVER done exactly the same every time.  This was pointed out in past downed RUAF aircraft pictures.

Small internal markings and the unpainted areas are better clues.  

I think it is the same aircraft.
Link Posted: 4/18/2022 6:49:54 AM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By RattleCanAR:

You can't call out the paint that quickly.  Aircraft actually get painted often and the are NEVER done exactly the same every time.  This was pointed out in past downed RUAF aircraft pictures.

View Quote

Maybe I'm missing something... why does it matter if it is #31 from one air regiment or another? (Not being flippant.)
Link Posted: 4/18/2022 7:05:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: iggy1337] [#36]
Link Posted: 4/18/2022 7:15:02 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 4/18/2022 7:15:13 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 4/18/2022 7:31:06 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 4/18/2022 7:35:25 AM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By Zhukov:

Yeah, I don't remember what it's like to be 18 again either.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Zhukov:
Originally Posted By Truman_Sparks:
A question that has been bothering me for a few weeks: How can one get a boner in a war zone?  It seems to me that only a very fucked up person could get a boner in a war zone.

Yeah, I don't remember what it's like to be 18 again either.

I think it was Libya that there were locals running up and down some sort of line trying to shoot down an aircraft, some guy was running back and forth beating his meat like it owed him money.
Link Posted: 4/18/2022 7:35:33 AM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By BigGrumpyBear:

The guy that started the original Osint thread asked for it to be moved to the military forum so it could be a more serious discussion without the shenanigans of GD. When I complained and said if that was the case then it should have been moved to team, he agreed and said he didn't think about team when he asked for it to be moved, but wouldn't ask for it to moved again.

I got some flak from folks thinking I was jumping on him when I wasn't.

this

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/87D543F5-C33B-475C-95CD-45D86133DAC9-476.gif

is what got people upset thinking it was directed at him when it was directed at the site.

My complaint was like yours. I pay to be a member here. There shouldn't be anyplace I can't go.

I don't have to be a registered scuba diver to go to the scuba forum, or a professional photographer to got to the photography forum, why should I have to prove I was in the .mil to go into the .mil forum.

The shit of it is, I was in the military, and am a disabled veteran, but I was discharged 34 years ago and I don't wear it on my sleeve anymore. Hell I'm not even sure I could find my DD214 again.

I'm slowly dying of kidney failure after cancer took my good kidney a few years ago, between that and the excruciating pain I am in from my disability, I simply don't care enough about this to go through the trouble of proving anything to anyone anymore. The state is lucky Mrs BGB renews the tags and my drivers license because I could not care less.

So I'm here enjoying the shenanigans of GD and putting trolls on the ignore list and trying to decide what I'm going to ask Mrs BGB to make for my birthday dinner in tomorrow. Needs to be special I don't have too many left, at least I hope not.

View Quote

I'm pretty sure you can apply on line to have
a copy of your 2214 sent to you.
Sorry about your illnesses.
Link Posted: 4/18/2022 7:35:51 AM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By outofbattery:
View Quote

Sounds like Putin is about to get a new crop of officers?
Link Posted: 4/18/2022 7:38:33 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 4/18/2022 7:43:21 AM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By iggy1337:

Sad thing is that Russians could have a good life and living standard if they un-fucked their culture of corruption and psycopathic leadership.

View Quote

What's sad also is there nothing anyone
but them can do about it.
Link Posted: 4/18/2022 7:44:19 AM EDT
[#45]

View Quote

Where’s the military forum?
Link Posted: 4/18/2022 7:46:17 AM EDT
[#46]

View All Quotes

So with repainting they will also give it a new serial number?

Link Posted: 4/18/2022 7:47:40 AM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By lokifox:

No way there is enough DC battery capacity to run the pumps for hours on end. No idea how Ruskie shps are wired up, but several multi-HP pumps would eat up a battery system in no time flat.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By lokifox:
Originally Posted By Waldo:

How are the water cannons running?  Do the fire pumps have their own diesel power plant?  ( I know nothing about how it works on a ship, so humor me)

Hell, I am air force.  

My guess would be the water cannons and pumps are self contained and don't rely on the ship's main power buss.  To be tied to the main power and be a key system for DC is just flat stupid even to me, but based on what we have learned about Russian hardware, who knows?

No way there is enough DC battery capacity to run the pumps for hours on end. No idea how Ruskie shps are wired up, but several multi-HP pumps would eat up a battery system in no time flat.

Fire pumps have thier own diesel drivers. Separate from everything. No idea if reds do it the same or not. Power outage and they still start, off dedicated batteries.
Link Posted: 4/18/2022 7:48:47 AM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By vahog:

Maybe I'm missing something... why does it matter if it is #31 from one air regiment or another? (Not being flippant.)
View Quote

Most often the last 2 or 3 digits of the sn# make the tail number you see. Rarely do you see all the assigned aircraft with the unit number on the tail.

USAF aircraft and NATO aircraft are numbered 90-1234 with 90 being the contract year and 1234 being the identifier.

Most Russian aircraft appear to get similar numbers from what I have observed in the downed aircraft pictures from this conflict.

31 appears to be the last two digits of the aircraft itself.
Link Posted: 4/18/2022 7:49:31 AM EDT
[#49]

View Quote

Made outta brass and doesn't stink when fired?
Link Posted: 4/18/2022 7:52:43 AM EDT
[#50]

So with repainting they will also give it a new serial number?

View Quote

Well

Actually

It can be done for mildec but I highly doubt Russia has those skills.

BTW the USAF is repainting and subduing tail numbers now. From a distance it will be impossible to ID the tail flash.
Page / 5591
OFFICIAL Russo-Ukrainian War (Page 1677 of 5591)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top