Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

OFFICIAL Russo-Ukrainian War (Page 1814 of 5592)
Page / 5592
You Must Be Logged In To Vote

Link Posted: 4/29/2022 7:39:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mbinky] [#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By wwglen:

USMC-R 1811
1980-1985
Delta Company 8th Tanks Columbia / Eastover SC

I like that coin.  Any link to order one?
View Quote

Buddy of mine gave it to me a year ago along with one for the mech's.  I'll ask him where he got it.  

RUSSIAN OFFENSIVE CAMPAIGN ASSESSMENT, APRIL 29

“Russian forces made limited advances west of Severodonetsk on April 29 but remain stalled south of Izyum. Ukrainian forces in eastern Ukraine are likely successfully conducting a maneuver defense rather than holding static positions, redeploying mechanized reserves to resist attempted Russian advances. Concentrated Russian artillery is enabling minor Russian advances, but Ukrainian positions remain strong. Limited Ukrainian counterattacks around Kharkiv city may additionally force Russian forces to redeploy units intended for the Izyum axis to hold these positions.

Key Takeaways:

•Russian forces likely intend to leave a minimal force in Mariupol necessary to block Ukrainian positions in Azovstal and prevent partisan actions and are deploying as much combat power as possible to support offensive operations elsewhere.

•Ukrainian forces are successfully slowing Russian attacks in eastern Ukraine, which secured only minor advances west of Severodonetsk and did not advance on the Izyum front in the last 24 hours.

•Ukrainian counterattacks in Kharkiv are unlikely to develop into a major counteroffensive in the coming days but may force Russia to redeploy forces intended for the Izyum axis to hold their defensive positions around the city.

•Ukrainian intelligence continued to warn that Russian false flag attacks in Transnistria are intended to draw Transnistria into the war in some capacity and coerce Moldova to abandon pro-European policies.”

ISW Link
Link Posted: 4/29/2022 7:41:48 PM EDT
[#2]

It’s ok bro I got you

Originally Posted By AnalogKid:
On 1814 we took a little trip;

Kicked Putin's ass down the Mighty Mississip...

ETA: Off by one.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/29/2022 7:42:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Tuco22] [#3]
Originally Posted By THOT_Vaccine:

Yeah. The guy flying that drone hates fucking Russians.

That clip is like the real version of the guy with the baseball bat in Inglourious Basterds.
View Quote

Don't blame him, we'd probably all harbor some animosity towards Canada if one day they got a wild hair up their ass and decided to invade, murder, rape, loot, destroy our shit, rape, and act like the victim in all that.
Link Posted: 4/29/2022 7:45:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Ukrainian 11129th Air Defense Missile Regiment Shoots Down Russian Su-35 aircraft

Link Posted: 4/29/2022 7:46:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: YoungPatriot] [#5]
Originally Posted By glklvr:

It's not as much cheerleading for Russia that is prevalent in GD as much as disparaging any support for Ukraine...because the Clintons and the Bidens laundered money through the country. It's a matter of being ok with invasion, war crimes, killing, raping and pillaging of civilians because their government was a friend of your enemy. It's really fucked up logic.
View Quote

There may be more people here than speak up who think the pro-Russia sentiments are nonsense.  Life is complicated.  I get that.  But this issue frankly isn’t.  For whatever wrongs and corruption may have preceded in Ukraine, there is no credible excuse for Russia’s actions.  The invasion is morally reprehensible.  I don’t want to see needless loss of life and destruction, but Russia needs to suffer badly for this and be essentially incapacitated.  They are an affront to human decency and order.

ETA:  thank you to those who continue to post good info in this thread and tamp down the bullshit.  This continues to be a good resource regardless of the distractions.
Link Posted: 4/29/2022 7:48:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By AROKIE:

Where are you getting this Info from?
View Quote

Thats from weeks ago
Link Posted: 4/29/2022 7:54:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By mbinky:
Man Poland is pushing all their chips onto the table.  Good stuff.

https://i.postimg.cc/KYKmvr3G/Screen-Shot-2022-04-29-at-6-08-23-PM.png

Answering The Call: Heavy Weaponry Supplied To Ukraine

The following list attempts to keep track of heavy military equipment delivered or pledged to Ukraine during the 2022 Russian of invasion of Ukraine. The entries below are sorted by armament category (with a flag denoting the country of delivery), and due to the confidential nature of some arms deliveries they can serve only as a lower bound to the total volume of weaponry shipped to Ukraine. MANPADS, ATGMs and commercial UAVs are not included in this list. This list will be updated as further military support is declared or uncovered.

Link

And for our 1811’s and 1812’s  

https://i.postimg.cc/hGCMMT2d/IMG-9534.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/tTYkcJcm/IMG-9535.jpg
View Quote

Where can I get this?
Link Posted: 4/29/2022 7:55:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Putin is just going to "love" this.

Nur-Sultan, Apr 29 (EFE).- President Kassym-Jomart Tokayev announced on Friday that a referendum is to be held soon to reform Kazakhstan's Constitution to one that limits the power of the head of state while granting Parliament a bigger role in running the Central Asian republic.

Calling the reforms part of the process to create "a new Kazakhstan," Tokayev made the announcement in a virtual speech to a session of the People's Assembly, which brings together representatives of the more than 140 ethnic groups that populate the former Soviet republic.

The consultation, possibly within two months, is to deal with 33 of the 98 articles earmarked for reform in the 1995 Constitution, which was approved in a referendum four years after Kazakhstan proclaimed independence following the collapse of the Soviet Union.

Kazakhstan is in a process of "transition" to limit the powers of the president, strengthen the functions of Parliament and reform political parties, justice and the electoral system, among others, in order to provide greater participation of civil society and more human rights protection.

"We are moving towards a new state model, towards a new format of interaction between the state and society. This qualitative transition can be called the Second Republic," said Tokayev.

"A strong president, an influential Parliament and a responsible government" is the spirit that guides these changes, which are part of a process that began long ago and that in different phases plans to advance towards "a new republic," he said.

This push towards what the president calls "a new Kazakhstan," with the announcement of the constitutional referendum in this country of some 19 million inhabitants, comes after a wave of protests in January caused 240 deaths, nearly 4,600 injuries and about 10,000 detainees.

Tokayev described the uprising as a coup attempt, which began peacefully due to social demands such as a reduction in the price of gas but turned violent.

According to the Kazakh government, the violence was unleashed by the intervention of terrorist groups that sought to provoke an armed conflict in order to seize power.

Kazakhstan, the ninth largest country in the world that borders the large markets of Russia and China and forms a bridge between Europe and Asia, is betting that the reform process will boost the oil- and mineral-rich nation's economy as it eyes closer ties to the European Union.
View Quote

Tokayev announces referendum to reform Kazakh Constitution
Link Posted: 4/29/2022 7:56:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Germany’s Ukraine U-Turn: Can heavy weapons tilt the balance against Putin? | To the Point
Link Posted: 4/29/2022 7:57:18 PM EDT
[#10]

Seems a lot of commentators are coming to the conclusion that ru messed up its chance in donbass.

I'm thinking the continued degradation of ru rail links and fuel storage for their logistics tail is likely making things even harder for ru to do much of anything.
Link Posted: 4/29/2022 8:00:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: fadedsun] [#11]
Can anyone ID this tank?

https://youtube.com/shorts/ELqIhtrDGqw?feature=share
Link Posted: 4/29/2022 8:02:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: THOT_Vaccine] [#12]
Originally Posted By fadedsun:
Can anyone ID this tank

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/ELqIhtrDGqwfeature=share
View Quote

Says T-90M in the video

-edit-
The link is dead now but the 90M tanks started showing up about ten days ago. They were supposed to be a stopgap until they could figure out the T-14...
Judging from the flaming wreckage of several in recent days ... Can't say they are any better than the T-72s
Link Posted: 4/29/2022 8:06:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: eesmith] [#13]

Link Posted: 4/29/2022 8:14:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 4/29/2022 8:14:40 PM EDT
[#15]
NATO deployment to border with Russia -- Armored vehicles being deployed to Ukraine

Link Posted: 4/29/2022 8:19:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By AlmightyTallest:
Military exercises of Russia backed Transnistria.

This is not a colorized WW2 photo if you were thinking that.

https://i.redd.it/ybzxtlfjmjw81.jpg
View Quote

It looks like they are ready for combat....against an enemy equipped with early-model M48s and M75 APCs
Link Posted: 4/29/2022 8:21:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 4/29/2022 8:22:11 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By ludder093:
time to add a couple high end drones to Skyline.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By BlackFox:
Originally Posted By burnka871:
Originally Posted By wildturkey09:

I'm finding this mortars dropped by consumer drones thing to be utterly terrifying.

We're watching a new modern warfare doctrine developed in real time. It's fucking fascinating and terrifying.

Our opponents won't be using consumer grade drones - we will.  It's nice to see them effectively employed.
time to add a couple high end drones to Skyline.

I'm working on it!!   With that said, this is game-changing for citizenry around the world (and not in a good way).  Truly capable thermal drones with heavy payloads are the tools of governments, and heavily regulated to prevent use by citizens.  The only thing that keeps governments from actively employing such technology against their own citizens is public opinion and backlash.  We've already seen how public opinion can be influenced with Russian Oligarchs' yachts and funds seized purely because we don't like them.  It wouldn't take much for public opinion to support such measures against those that don't toe the party line (ref: Jan 6).  

From there I turn to true civilian capability as a balance to government power.  It's fun to see a DJI Mavic drop a grenade using a 3d printer rack in a war zone that encourages civilian engagement, but that's not real in most AOs.  You'd be caught before your first trial run over US soil.  I think most people are underestimating the shift of power in the "drone wars."  We're watching tanks, ships and even aircraft become obsolete in real time.  We're seeing the Heinlein novels we read as kids become real.  While it's fun to watch this play out against the orcs, the problem is that our balance as civilians is that we're not keeping pace with the power the government is creating (and can't).  I had always assumed small arms development by the government (such as exploding shells and smart rounds) would be where the tide turned.  It appears it's the same idea but aerial.  It seems so obvious in hindsight, but I didn't see this coming and don't know how to respond.  The FAA ownership of the air above US soil was a genius move in hindsight.  Now we have to ask their permission (timidly) to use technology over our own homes.  That's not by accident.  

My concern is not people with such technology, but government entities with no balancing civilian force.  Our founding fathers knew that the Republic relied upon the power resting with the people.  I think we're quickly slipping off that slope, and that's the key message I get from this conflict.  Sorry if this derails this otherwise great thread.
Link Posted: 4/29/2022 8:23:50 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By TheLurker:

Longer version of the sunroof drone hit. Looks like the drone operator wanted to be sure he finished the job by waiting for the ones they'd wounded earlier to try and evac and then making absolutely sure to finish them off. Good droning.
View Quote

It looks like they were picking through a pallet of russkie MREs that we’re dropped like garbage by the side of the road. I like how they all ran off and left the wounded guys to bandage themselves. Fucking Orcs. They died like they lived picking garbage in a stolen car.
Link Posted: 4/29/2022 8:24:13 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Saltwater-Hillbilly:

It looks like they are ready for combat....against an enemy equipped with early-model M48s and M75 APCs
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Saltwater-Hillbilly:
Originally Posted By AlmightyTallest:
Military exercises of Russia backed Transnistria.

This is not a colorized WW2 photo if you were thinking that.

https://i.redd.it/ybzxtlfjmjw81.jpg

You'd swear it was from the 1950's, people discussing it on Reddit are laughing as much as we are.   Those guys aren't going to last long against Ukraine if they try to pull any funny stuff.
Link Posted: 4/29/2022 8:28:32 PM EDT
[#21]
Insight on why China is terrified of possible US sanctions.

The founder and chair of one of Asia's biggest private equity investors has criticised the Chinese government for policies that he says have resulted in a "deep economic crisis" comparable to the global financial crash.

Weijian Shan, whose group PAG manages more than $50bn, said his fund had diversified away from China and was being "extremely careful" about its portfolio in the country.

"We think the Chinese economy at this moment is in the worst shape in the past 30 years," he said in a video of a meeting viewed by the Financial Times.

"The market sentiment towards Chinese stocks is also at the lowest point in the past 30 years. I also think popular discontent in China is at the highest point in the past 30 years."

In the video, Shan said that large parts of the Chinese economy, including its financial centre Shanghai, had been "semi-paralysed" by "draconian" zero-Covid policies and that the impact on the economy would be "profound".

"China feels to us like the US and Europe in 2008," Shan added. "While we remain long-term confident in China's growth and market potentials, we are very cautious towards China markets."

One person with knowledge of the meeting said the video was recorded during talks with brokers as part of a roadshow for the initial public offering of PAG in Hong Kong. PAG filed for a $2bn IPO last month that is expected to be the city's largest new listing this year, valuing the group at up to $15bn. Shan did not respond to a question about the reason for the meeting.

Shan's comments come as private equity and venture capital groups face mounting difficulties in making their China bets pay off, with many of the country's fast-growing companies banned from raising capital abroad until sweeping new regulations on data security and foreign listings are finalised by Beijing. China's zero-Covid policy, which has led to a five-week lockdown of its financial centre Shanghai, has also contributed to a sharp sell-off in Chinese stocks.

It is unusual for prominent executives who do business in China to criticise the country or its government. Last year, JPMorgan Chase chief executive Jamie Dimon issued two separate apologies after he made a joke that his bank would outlast the Chinese Communist party.

Shan is one of the most high-profile veteran financiers in Hong Kong and mainland China. He founded PAG in 2010. He was previously co-managing partner of private equity group TPG Capital Asia and led JPMorgan's China team.

Shan has led several landmark transactions in China, including the 2005 acquisition of Shenzhen Development Bank, one of the first deals by a foreign investor in a Chinese bank, when he was at TPG.

Earlier this year, he was appointed to the board of Alibaba as an independent director. He has also served on the boards of state-owned Bank of China Hong Kong, Baosteel, a Chinese state-owned steel producer, and Lenovo, China's largest computer company.

Beijing kicked off an unprecedented regulatory crackdown in July last year after ride-sharing platform Didi Chuxing listed in New York despite warnings from regulators over data security concerns.

The crackdown, which is part of President Xi Jinping's "common prosperity" drive, has divided investors. Some international investors believe that the common prosperity policy has heightened the risk of government interference in the private sector, declaring China "uninvestable".

Others have argued that government intervention in China does not derail longer-term structural trends, such as a growing middle class of consumers.

China-focused private equity and venture capital groups enjoyed bumper returns from exits as recently as the first half of 2021 thanks to a surge of listings in New York and Hong Kong by Chinese companies.

That helped boost investor interest and pushed funds raised in Greater China to more than $72bn last year, marking the first rise in five years, according to figures from investment data company Preqin. But activity in the second half dropped sharply and fundraising in the first two months of 2022 totalled just $1.4bn.
View Quote

China in 'deep crisis', says Hong Kong private equity chief
Link Posted: 4/29/2022 8:32:05 PM EDT
[#22]
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By PurpleOtter:
By Jennifer Jacobs and Alberto Nardelli
April 29, 2022, 2:24 PM PDT

The Biden administration has a plan to rob Vladimir Putin of some of his best innovators by waiving some visa requirements for highly educated Russians who want to come to the U.S., according to people familiar with the strategy.

One proposal, which the White House included in its latest supplemental request to Congress, is to drop the rule that Russian professionals applying for an employment-based visa must have a current employer.

It would apply to Russian citizens who have earned master's or doctoral degrees in science, technology, engineering or mathematics in the U.S. or abroad, the proposal states.

A spokesman for the National Security Council confirmed that the effort is meant to weaken Putin's high-tech resources in the near term and undercut Russia's innovation base over the long run -- as well as benefit the U.S. economy and national security.

Specifically, the Biden administration wants to make it easier for top-tier Russians with experience with semiconductors, space technology, cybersecurity, advanced manufacturing, advanced computing, nuclear engineering, artificial intelligence, missile propulsion technologies and other specialized scientific areas to move to the U.S.

Biden administration officials have said they've seen significant numbers of high-skilled technology workers flee Russia because of limited financial opportunities from the sanctions the U.S. and allies have imposed after Putin's invasion on Ukraine.

The provision would expire in four years. There would be no changes to the vetting process, fees or other rules in the Immigration and Nationality Act.

Russian professionals began leaving the country after the invasion began on Feb. 24.

Konstantin Sonin a economist at the University of Chicago tweeted on March 7 "that more than 200,000 people fled Russia during the last 10 days. The tragic exodus not seen for a century."

An Interfax report, citing an estimate from the Russian Association for Electronic Communications, said that between 70,000 and 100,000 information technology specialists might try to emigrate in April.

The U.S. and some of its Group of Seven allies have also in recent weeks discussed giving protected status to Russian scientists, including those working at CERN, the European Organization for Nuclear Research.

CERN, which runs the largest particle physics laboratory, suspended most of its work with Russia after the war began.

Biden Seeks to Rob Putin of His Top Scientists With Visa Lure

Importing high level spies now?
Link Posted: 4/29/2022 8:36:20 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By MouseBoy:

View Quote

Operation Trapper Keeper.  

(Paperclip was already taken).
Link Posted: 4/29/2022 8:39:08 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By realwar:
NATO deployment to border with Russia -- Armored vehicles being deployed to Ukraine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MlH4rGm-7I
View Quote

Now I am not saying I don't believe that videos title. But I don't believe that videos title.
Link Posted: 4/29/2022 8:39:15 PM EDT
[#25]

I drove 1800 miles R/T to Salina/Schilling AFB to rescue a Scottie doggie for my Mom.

It's getting to the point where we need to just blast the orcs to hell.....
Link Posted: 4/29/2022 9:03:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: weptek911] [#26]

Pretty lady. She looks like she was a kind and beautiful soul.  So was she a Russian speaker that was “saved’ by the bare chested bear riding savior of Christianity or was she a puppy raising Nazi that need de nazifying and liquidation?

I’m beyond pissed at these fucking Orcs. Fuck Putin and fuck his fans here.
Link Posted: 4/29/2022 9:05:19 PM EDT
[#27]

View All Quotes

Well played...
Link Posted: 4/29/2022 9:09:50 PM EDT
[#28]
Russia’s Casual Savagery Is Seared Into Its Soul

The absence of a historical reckoning with the evils of Stalinism has spawned a people who believe brutality works

David Aaronovitch, The Times

It was all western propaganda that Russia was about to invade Ukraine. It was all western propaganda, once the invasion had begun, to call it an “invasion”. It was all western propaganda that the ebbing Russian tide revealed the summary killing and torture of civilians and looting.

Yet for all our “propaganda” no one has been more surprised than the West. “Terrible things happen in war”, of course. We have only to think of the family in Kabul obliterated last summer by an American drone strike because they had been mistaken for terrorists planning an attack on the airport. But even so there has been a particular quality to the behaviour of Russian troops in Ukraine. And also, as far as we can tell from recordings of intercepted conversations between some of them and their relatives back home, a casual brutality towards all Ukrainians. It’s a callousness that has extended to the treatment of their own casualties, with little effort made to rescue the wounded or recover the dead. All this has shocked us, and the question that begs to be answered is: why are they like this?

One answer is that they are reacting to the continuous depiction in Russia of Ukrainians as being mostly “Nazis” — that is, (since this is not an analytical term) folk devils. Another is that the Russian army is poorly NCOed, badly led, ill-disciplined, resentful and made up of recruits many of whom were subjected to violent “hazing” after joining. They arrive on the battlefield already brutalised.

But there is something so cynical about this brutality, whether it’s the actions of the soldiers, the language of the vox pops on Russian streets or the threats from pundits on state-sponsored current affairs shows. It’s almost as if it comes from a place where such actions are seen as somehow inevitable, that always man will be wolf to man.

I’m not arguing that such a belief is intrinsic to Russians as people. They want the same things as we do: to be happy, for their children to thrive, to become grandparents, to have some say over their own lives, to watch a good serial on TV and go to Disneyland. But as Marx said, we are weighed down and hemmed in by our collective pasts, or rather, what we imagine our pasts to be. And the Russian past is centuries of brutality often dressed up for its citizens as glory, as millions of eggs necessarily broken to attain victory.

It is hard for us to imagine the psychological impact of this, but the background is that the Bolshevik era was marked by an appalling level of official murder and catastrophic policies right up to the mid-Fifties, for which no one was held to account. Between 1930 and 1953 the ruling elite of the Soviet Union presided over the deportation of several million kulaks, a famine in Soviet Ukraine that killed up to four million, the summary killing of up to 760,000 people, with 1.7 million more sent to the gulags where many perished.

And no one was tried. No one imprisoned. The victims had no redress and at best could expect “rehabilitation”, very often posthumously. Unlike the Nazi leadership or its European collaborators, there were no Nurembergs, no cyanide suicides, no long stretches in jail. Whereas mad old Rudolf Hess ended his days in Spandau prison in Berlin in 1987 aged 93, his Soviet counterpart, 96-year-old Vyacheslav Molotov, succumbed to pneumonia in a Moscow hospital a year earlier. And his terrible colleague, the “Iron Commissar” Lazar Kaganovich, who in his declining years liked to sit on a bench in the park to chat to people, lasted till 1991.

Both had been intimately involved in all of Stalin’s greatest acts of mass murder. Both had helped shape and administer the policies that caused the Ukrainian famine. Molotov had been in charge of the mass deportation of kulaks, and both had signed off on the murder of people during the Great Terror.

One of the most chilling books I have read is the 1993 translation of Molotov Remembers, the edited transcripts of 140 conversations he had with a biographer, Felix Chuev, in the 17 years before his death. It is wrong to call the tone “unrepentant”. Molotov did not feel he had anything but inevitable “mistakes” to be repentant for. What he had done had been for the best and, generally, had worked out well. Chuev taxed him with the murders of so many old comrades. Men like Jan Rudzutak. “He never confessed to anything about himself,” said Molotov. “He was executed by firing squad. A politburo member. I don’t think he was a conscious member of any faction but he was too easy-going about the opposition. That was unforgivable.”

Chuev asked Molotov about a case where, sent a list of women prisoners’ sentences for approval, he had altered one of 10 years in prison to being shot. “I was authorised to have access to this list and to amend it,” he told Chuev, “and so I did.” What was the charge against her, who was she, he was asked. “It’s of no importance,” replied Molotov.

DeStalinisation led to no reckoning. Only during the brief period of perestroika and then after the fall of the Berlin Wall did it look as though there was a concerted attempt to get Russians to come to terms with their history. The archives were opened, books were published, museums established. But as the historian Irina Sherbakova, a founding member of the human rights organisation Memorial recalled in 2019, the early reformers leading Russia “lacked interest in history; they were in a rush to build a market economy. They didn’t see the link between successful economic reforms and the need for a vibrant civil society.”

So when things got tough and folk became nostalgic even for the bad old days, Vladimir Putin was able, gradually at first and then more completely, to end any attempt at a mass understanding of Stalinism and its brutalities. Stalin, meanwhile, was being psychologically rehabilitated. In December last year Sherbakova’s Memorial organisation was shut down by the Russian courts, but by then polls were showing 71 per cent of Russians saying they had a “positive attitude” towards Stalin’s role in their history. The head of the polling organisation Levada wrote that Stalin was seen as a severe leader “who could create order in the country”. Maybe a bit like you-know-who.

The young soldier sent to Ukraine was never taught in school about the Great Terror. It’s not on the curriculum. But what he has almost certainly absorbed, even if subliminally, is the great national lesson that brutality is simply inevitable and that it works.
Link Posted: 4/29/2022 9:11:58 PM EDT
[#29]

View Quote

That is not NATO deployment to the Russian border.
Link Posted: 4/29/2022 9:12:05 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By Lieh-tzu:

Hmph. China is sitting pretty. It's greatest geopolitical rivals are at each others throats, while they're still the number one industrial manufacturing economy on the planet. Even if the Ukraine conflict goes well, doesn't expand, and the US remains untouched, the unfunded expenditures we're putting out are torpedoing our own economy. Uneducated children are running this country.
View Quote

I disagree.  China needed Russia to continue to be a thorn in the West’s side to divert resources and political bandwidth from asia.  Normally you might think that US vs Russia was to China’s benefit, but Russia played their hand so catastrophically poorly that there is a very good chance they are finished as a world power contender at very little cost to the West.
Even if it ends up in all-out nuclear war, there is an extremely good chance that the West nukes China too.  There is little reason not to, so the idea that China emerges undamaged to rule a world of ashes is just not going to happen.
Furthermore, let’s say that Russia is dealt with without too much damage outside Ukraine, and the West pivots to Asia.  Japan and South Korea will almost certainly go nuclear.  The West overall has awakened politically to the need to actively protect its strategic interests and frustrate it’s enemies’ strategic interests, ergo there will be a laser focus on Taiwan.  After that there will be literally zero chance China can successfully invade Taiwan.  China’s best interests would probably be best served by picking up Russian territory/energy resources in the far east and playing the long game.
Xi probably has a Putin voodoo doll to stick pins in for the way Russia fucked China’s strategic planning.
Link Posted: 4/29/2022 9:12:18 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By 7empest:

Now I am not saying I don't believe that videos title. But I don't believe that videos title.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 7empest:

Is it in Latvia or Estonia, they both border Russia and have Nato troops there.
Link Posted: 4/29/2022 9:15:40 PM EDT
[#32]

I'm working on it!!   With that said, this is game-changing for citizenry around the world (and not in a good way).  Truly capable thermal drones with heavy payloads are the tools of governments, and heavily regulated to prevent use by citizens.  The only thing that keeps governments from actively employing such technology against their own citizens is public opinion and backlash.  We've already seen how public opinion can be influenced with Russian Oligarchs' yachts and funds seized purely because we don't like them.  It wouldn't take much for public opinion to support such measures against those that don't toe the party line (ref: Jan 6).  

From there I turn to true civilian capability as a balance to government power.  It's fun to see a DJI Mavic drop a grenade using a 3d printer rack in a war zone that encourages civilian engagement, but that's not real in most AOs.  You'd be caught before your first trial run over US soil.  I think most people are underestimating the shift of power in the "drone wars."  We're watching tanks, ships and even aircraft become obsolete in real time.  We're seeing the Heinlein novels we read as kids become real.  While it's fun to watch this play out against the orcs, the problem is that our balance as civilians is that we're not keeping pace with the power the government is creating (and can't).  I had always assumed small arms development by the government (such as exploding shells and smart rounds) would be where the tide turned.  It appears it's the same idea but aerial.  It seems so obvious in hindsight, but I didn't see this coming and don't know how to respond.  The FAA ownership of the air above US soil was a genius move in hindsight.  Now we have to ask their permission (timidly) to use technology over our own homes.  That's not by accident.  

My concern is not people with such technology, but government entities with no balancing civilian force.  Our founding fathers knew that the Republic relied upon the power resting with the people.  I think we're quickly slipping off that slope, and that's the key message I get from this conflict.  Sorry if this derails this otherwise great thread.
View Quote

Mmm...FAA control of airspace has been a thing long before the advent of drones.

Also:
Starship Troopers (1997) Disable His Hand

Or thumbs on joysticks, as it were.
Link Posted: 4/29/2022 9:17:10 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 4/29/2022 9:17:25 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By et_slowpoke:

With the military aid law just passed, we are providing weapons to a belligerent. That is an act of war and passed by congress no less. People in this thread will be happy to know now it is likely illegal to disparage the war in Ukraine, and likely Biden’s actions now.
Slava Ukraini.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By BerettaGuy:

If we were at war with Russia then a lot of this Kremlin bullshit spewed out by the crackpot right becomes treason and/or sedition. Technically, right now, depending if some of these so-called conservative talk shows and websites are receiving donations and or payments to push narratives for a foreign power (especially one which is hostile to the USA), they are operating as an undeclared agent of a foreign power - that's prison time.

With the military aid law just passed, we are providing weapons to a belligerent. That is an act of war and passed by congress no less. People in this thread will be happy to know now it is likely illegal to disparage the war in Ukraine, and likely Biden’s actions now.
Slava Ukraini.

Scratch a Ukrainiac and you'll find a fascist.....
Link Posted: 4/29/2022 9:19:25 PM EDT
[#35]
Big if true. Iron dome would really help the Ukraine. huge shift in policy from Israel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AuDkKHNtlqY
View Quote
Iron Dome is a big deal if deployed
Link Posted: 4/29/2022 9:20:00 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By Finslayer83:
View Quote

WOW!
Link Posted: 4/29/2022 9:20:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GTLandser] [#37]

View Quote

It's about incentives. Do you think once they came over, they could ever go back? Would they even want to?

We're also offering something that money can't buy: a chance to work, largely unimpeded and harassed in their field, and the dignity of being paid and compensated commensurate with their knowledge and experience, rather than working for the Mafiosos-that-own-a-gas-station, and being paid in (comparative) company store scrip.
Link Posted: 4/29/2022 9:21:41 PM EDT
[#38]

Anything that dispirit our co-belligerents in Ukraine would provide aid and comfort to Russia. That is treason.

Edited: anything pro Russia now would likely violate CoC 4.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Ryan_Scott:

LOL no, it is not illegal to do so.

Anything that dispirit our co-belligerents in Ukraine would provide aid and comfort to Russia. That is treason.

Edited: anything pro Russia now would likely violate CoC 4.

Test, test, test....."Russia can't win this thing fast enough".......Test, test, test.  
Link Posted: 4/29/2022 9:22:54 PM EDT
[#39]

View Quote

gators in Ukraine?
Link Posted: 4/29/2022 9:23:52 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By Star_Scream:

I don't like them

I reeee about it in every thread I encounter people recommending them
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Star_Scream:
Originally Posted By CarmelBytheSea:

Bought one a long time ago and was a little disappointed. But if people can make shit work for them in the way they position and employ it, more power to 'em. I'm not one for there's only one right way - my way

I don't like them

I reeee about it in every thread I encounter people recommending them
Now I have to get one
Link Posted: 4/29/2022 9:26:47 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By Chaingun:
Now I have to get one
View Quote

Go for it. I played a violin concierto across my wrist with a brand new one and I'm still here to reeee about them
Link Posted: 4/29/2022 9:32:05 PM EDT
[#42]
Russian Special Forces Suffer Major Blow - Forced To Retreat
Link Posted: 4/29/2022 9:33:13 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By doc540:

gators in Ukraine?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By doc540:

gators in Ukraine?

God, I hope so!

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/29/2022 9:36:18 PM EDT
[#44]

View Quote

IMHO The highest force multiplier right now is a drone swarm deployed by packs of mother ship cruise missile/ drones. Or even hypersonic delivery but that has some logistical issues.
Think AI Smart cluster bomb made of shaped charges that can be reconfigured on the fly to attack fluidly most any target from single infantry/snipers hiding in structure to heavy armor.
Nearly impossible to counter effectively without high level jamming. Even then, autonomous drone swarms can overcome quite a bit of that. RFID / passive beacons keep friendly fire to a minimum.
Link Posted: 4/29/2022 9:37:26 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By Ryan_Ruck:

The absence of a historical reckoning with the evils of Stalinism has spawned a people who believe brutality works

It was all western propaganda that Russia was about to invade Ukraine. It was all western propaganda, once the invasion had begun, to call it an “invasion”. It was all western propaganda that the ebbing Russian tide revealed the summary killing and torture of civilians and looting.

Yet for all our “propaganda” no one has been more surprised than the West. “Terrible things happen in war”, of course. We have only to think of the family in Kabul obliterated last summer by an American drone strike because they had been mistaken for terrorists planning an attack on the airport. But even so there has been a particular quality to the behaviour of Russian troops in Ukraine. And also, as far as we can tell from recordings of intercepted conversations between some of them and their relatives back home, a casual brutality towards all Ukrainians. It’s a callousness that has extended to the treatment of their own casualties, with little effort made to rescue the wounded or recover the dead. All this has shocked us, and the question that begs to be answered is: why are they like this?

One answer is that they are reacting to the continuous depiction in Russia of Ukrainians as being mostly “Nazis” — that is, (since this is not an analytical term) folk devils. Another is that the Russian army is poorly NCOed, badly led, ill-disciplined, resentful and made up of recruits many of whom were subjected to violent “hazing” after joining. They arrive on the battlefield already brutalised.

But there is something so cynical about this brutality, whether it’s the actions of the soldiers, the language of the vox pops on Russian streets or the threats from pundits on state-sponsored current affairs shows. It’s almost as if it comes from a place where such actions are seen as somehow inevitable, that always man will be wolf to man.

I’m not arguing that such a belief is intrinsic to Russians as people. They want the same things as we do: to be happy, for their children to thrive, to become grandparents, to have some say over their own lives, to watch a good serial on TV and go to Disneyland. But as Marx said, we are weighed down and hemmed in by our collective pasts, or rather, what we imagine our pasts to be. And the Russian past is centuries of brutality often dressed up for its citizens as glory, as millions of eggs necessarily broken to attain victory.

It is hard for us to imagine the psychological impact of this, but the background is that the Bolshevik era was marked by an appalling level of official murder and catastrophic policies right up to the mid-Fifties, for which no one was held to account. Between 1930 and 1953 the ruling elite of the Soviet Union presided over the deportation of several million kulaks, a famine in Soviet Ukraine that killed up to four million, the summary killing of up to 760,000 people, with 1.7 million more sent to the gulags where many perished.

And no one was tried. No one imprisoned. The victims had no redress and at best could expect “rehabilitation”, very often posthumously. Unlike the Nazi leadership or its European collaborators, there were no Nurembergs, no cyanide suicides, no long stretches in jail. Whereas mad old Rudolf Hess ended his days in Spandau prison in Berlin in 1987 aged 93, his Soviet counterpart, 96-year-old Vyacheslav Molotov, succumbed to pneumonia in a Moscow hospital a year earlier. And his terrible colleague, the “Iron Commissar” Lazar Kaganovich, who in his declining years liked to sit on a bench in the park to chat to people, lasted till 1991.

Both had been intimately involved in all of Stalin’s greatest acts of mass murder. Both had helped shape and administer the policies that caused the Ukrainian famine. Molotov had been in charge of the mass deportation of kulaks, and both had signed off on the murder of people during the Great Terror.

One of the most chilling books I have read is the 1993 translation of Molotov Remembers, the edited transcripts of 140 conversations he had with a biographer, Felix Chuev, in the 17 years before his death. It is wrong to call the tone “unrepentant”. Molotov did not feel he had anything but inevitable “mistakes” to be repentant for. What he had done had been for the best and, generally, had worked out well. Chuev taxed him with the murders of so many old comrades. Men like Jan Rudzutak. “He never confessed to anything about himself,” said Molotov. “He was executed by firing squad. A politburo member. I don’t think he was a conscious member of any faction but he was too easy-going about the opposition. That was unforgivable.”

Chuev asked Molotov about a case where, sent a list of women prisoners’ sentences for approval, he had altered one of 10 years in prison to being shot. “I was authorised to have access to this list and to amend it,” he told Chuev, “and so I did.” What was the charge against her, who was she, he was asked. “It’s of no importance,” replied Molotov.

DeStalinisation led to no reckoning. Only during the brief period of perestroika and then after the fall of the Berlin Wall did it look as though there was a concerted attempt to get Russians to come to terms with their history. The archives were opened, books were published, museums established. But as the historian Irina Sherbakova, a founding member of the human rights organisation Memorial recalled in 2019, the early reformers leading Russia “lacked interest in history; they were in a rush to build a market economy. They didn’t see the link between successful economic reforms and the need for a vibrant civil society.”

So when things got tough and folk became nostalgic even for the bad old days, Vladimir Putin was able, gradually at first and then more completely, to end any attempt at a mass understanding of Stalinism and its brutalities. Stalin, meanwhile, was being psychologically rehabilitated. In December last year Sherbakova’s Memorial organisation was shut down by the Russian courts, but by then polls were showing 71 per cent of Russians saying they had a “positive attitude” towards Stalin’s role in their history. The head of the polling organisation Levada wrote that Stalin was seen as a severe leader “who could create order in the country”. Maybe a bit like you-know-who.

The young soldier sent to Ukraine was never taught in school about the Great Terror. It’s not on the curriculum. But what he has almost certainly absorbed, even if subliminally, is the great national lesson that brutality is simply inevitable and that it works.
View Quote

For the TLDR crowd:

Nazis got war trials and hangings.

Soviets just changed into suits.

Soviets need war trials and hangings like Nazis.
Link Posted: 4/29/2022 9:39:00 PM EDT
[#46]

Was there a name associated with him?  Ran across this.

https://i.postimg.cc/h457dKzy/Screen-Shot-2022-04-29-at-3-13-02-PM.png
View All Quotes
Heard a rumor that the Ghost of Kiev was shot down?

Was there a name associated with him?  Ran across this.

https://i.postimg.cc/h457dKzy/Screen-Shot-2022-04-29-at-3-13-02-PM.png
That's too bad, prayers for the family
Link Posted: 4/29/2022 9:39:45 PM EDT
[#47]

View Quote

Holy shit, the first second of the video, the EM-50 towing a Brad
Link Posted: 4/29/2022 9:40:42 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By kncook:

For the TLDR crowd:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By kncook:
Originally Posted By Ryan_Ruck:

For the TLDR crowd:

Link Posted: 4/29/2022 9:42:58 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By THOT_Vaccine:
View Quote

It’s interesting that whatever is hitting those tanks in the video is extremely accurate, but yet the tanks are in a field that is littered with hundreds of shell craters.
Link Posted: 4/29/2022 9:44:14 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By MeestaSparkle:

I’m assuming the concern is that, if it ever came to fisticuffs, the knife is literally in the perfect location for the adversary to just grab it and stab you in the neck?  It couldn’t be in a more convenient location, for the other guy.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By MeestaSparkle:
Originally Posted By Arminius:
Ukrainian Soldiers Say Russian Troops Look 'Desperate' In Battle For Donetsk Region

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dpIwwI86ss

He carries a Glock knife. ( in an inconvenient location )

For sure not the best, but far from the worst knife. And cheap.

H

I’m assuming the concern is that, if it ever came to fisticuffs, the knife is literally in the perfect location for the adversary to just grab it and stab you in the neck?  It couldn’t be in a more convenient location, for the other guy.

Where are the best places to keep a combat knife when wearing a PC?
Page / 5592
OFFICIAL Russo-Ukrainian War (Page 1814 of 5592)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top