Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

OFFICIAL Russo-Ukrainian War (Page 2110 of 5591)
Page / 5591
You Must Be Logged In To Vote

Link Posted: 6/17/2022 11:52:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Scooby Dooby Doo

Link Posted: 6/18/2022 12:14:02 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/18/2022 12:16:26 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/18/2022 12:18:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

Ohh really
Link Posted: 6/18/2022 12:26:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Jack67:

I think that ship has sailed. I was worried that solution would be the outcome a month ago.  But that option is in the rear-view mirror now after the last few days.  Ukraine, Germany, France, and us via Blinken's statements have basically said that's now a war aim of the Ukrainians that the west supports.

I believe the war crimes fundamentally shifted things.  It shouldn't really have taken that - and it would not have if we had wise, strong leadership at the helm in major roles - US, France, Germany who "got it" from the start.  People who were too blind to see the bigger picture and would have ignored all the treaty obligations and agreements (Budapest, Minsk), and settled for peace with Ukraine crippled and robbed - those people have had a gut reaction and have been persuaded.

There is a saying that wars have a life of their own. Once out of the bottle, they are hard to control by any small clique or leader.  I think that is demonstrated in this case by the changed western mass attitudes once murdering civilians, rape, pillage, etc. came into view.  Now people are being seized and shipped off to Siberia and 'disappeared' in the thousands and thousands - it's just a living nightmare of WWII atrocities and the very worst of the Soviet Union all over again. Putin and his KGB apparatchiks didn't fathom this reaction and it has put the first nail in their coffin.  It will take a lot more nails and time, but it's in progress.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ITCHY-FINGER:

.... But Ukraine can end the war as a strong unified EU/NATO country, hopefully with their original Eastern territory OR they can keep fighting with Russia over Crimea alone.

I think that ship has sailed. I was worried that solution would be the outcome a month ago.  But that option is in the rear-view mirror now after the last few days.  Ukraine, Germany, France, and us via Blinken's statements have basically said that's now a war aim of the Ukrainians that the west supports.

I believe the war crimes fundamentally shifted things.  It shouldn't really have taken that - and it would not have if we had wise, strong leadership at the helm in major roles - US, France, Germany who "got it" from the start.  People who were too blind to see the bigger picture and would have ignored all the treaty obligations and agreements (Budapest, Minsk), and settled for peace with Ukraine crippled and robbed - those people have had a gut reaction and have been persuaded.

There is a saying that wars have a life of their own. Once out of the bottle, they are hard to control by any small clique or leader.  I think that is demonstrated in this case by the changed western mass attitudes once murdering civilians, rape, pillage, etc. came into view.  Now people are being seized and shipped off to Siberia and 'disappeared' in the thousands and thousands - it's just a living nightmare of WWII atrocities and the very worst of the Soviet Union all over again. Putin and his KGB apparatchiks didn't fathom this reaction and it has put the first nail in their coffin.  It will take a lot more nails and time, but it's in progress.

The obvious war crimes are certainly part of it, but other aspects of Russian political rhetoric and actions have really cemented it.
Rhetoric meant for domestic political consumption, and which the domestic audience might find “normal”, Europe perceives (correctly) as clearly pointing to imperial and indeed genocidal intent.  Thus rhetoric that consolidates power internally hardens resistance externally.  Practically any of Lavrov’s speeches is a perfect example, from the double speak of “we didn’t invade Ukraine” to “We had to invade to defend ourselves” to “Ukraine does not exist as a state” to “Ukraine is an existential threat to Russia.”  Russians are conditioned to believe these mutually exclusive positions, but to everyone else it’s dangerous nonsense.  For all we love to despise Lavrov, his political stylings have done more damage to Russian positions than anyone else, arguably including Putin.  The parallels with WW2 continue to pile up, where the Allies were eager to publicize Nazi propaganda, because it made clear just how insane they were.
The nuclear saber-rattling and other terroristic behavior meant to re-enforce the nuclear saber rattling have been counterproductive and have only convinced European leadership that they have no choice but to call the bluff. Russia has thus largely eliminated its own nuclear deterrent potential and put themselves in the position where their only option is actually using them.
As a result of all this, no one in power in Europe can deceive themselves that appeasement will work this time.  No one believes that Russia will be reasonable or satisfied with only Donbas.  There is absolutely no question that Russia (whether under Putin or someone else) is on a path to conquer Europe or be destroyed in the process.  The only question is how to manage the war in way that minimizes risk to themselves (Europe) while crippling Russia.
Link Posted: 6/18/2022 12:32:55 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/18/2022 1:12:43 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Star_Scream:

Ohh really
View All Quotes

Ohh really

Who's in for the first "FUAROCK!"

Link Posted: 6/18/2022 1:14:58 AM EDT
[#8]
Remove from pierogi from konigsberg
Link Posted: 6/18/2022 1:36:40 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Lieh-tzu:

I still maintain that the western "leaders" have been absolute idiots, particularly in their rhetoric. Anybody wanting to support and international rules-based order or international law should have been declaring loudly and frequently that Russia must return to the borders it agreed to respect in a signed agreement in 1997 (and another treaty before that). Not only the 2022 invasion, but the 2014 invasion was illegal, and there is no returning to the international community for Putin until those borders are restored. There is no room in the world for imperialism anymore, and that's all Putin is. Nobody is taking this line publicly. Aside from Ukraine, there is no drumbeat of calls for Putin to honor its agreements, uphold international law, and return to its 1997 borders. Partly because feckless and spineless dolts like Macron and Schultz keep saying Ukraine should trade land for peace, as if that concept has even a shred of validity.
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 6/18/2022 2:39:17 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Capta:

...Thus rhetoric that consolidates power internally hardens resistance externally.  Practically any of Lavrov’s speeches is a perfect example, from the double speak of “we didn’t invade Ukraine” to “We had to invade to defend ourselves” to “Ukraine does not exist as a state” to “Ukraine is an existential threat to Russia.”  ...
View Quote

You are probably right that this is a big part of it. I've been thinking about this aspect for a week or so but I am not clear how it translates into action or attitudes.  Part of me wonders if western diplomats think, "Well, they've lied for 20 years so what's new?" and thus consider it business as usual.  Or is there a point where, like my "fork in the brain" analogy, they completely tune them out and reduce the calculus to a virtually non-verbal action/reaction basis - judging only on actions and disregarding the noise that the diplomatic talk has become.  You argue that the nuclear threats have created that scenario, and I agree.  Lavrov's contribution has never been at all remotely helpful to Russia's goal and you may be right that he's been a singular negative to them in public eyes.  But it would be hard for him not to be, saddled with the task of being the spokesperson for evil.  Nuremburg 2.0 should be interesting.

Link Posted: 6/18/2022 3:36:12 AM EDT
[#11]

holy shit thats awesome!! I have so many ideas! what a novel way to gain donations!
Link Posted: 6/18/2022 7:26:35 AM EDT
[#12]

You are probably right that this is a big part of it. I've been thinking about this aspect for a week or so but I am not clear how it translates into action or attitudes.  Part of me wonders if western diplomats think, "Well, they've lied for 20 years so what's new?" and thus consider it business as usual.  Or is there a point where, like my "fork in the brain" analogy, they completely tune them out and reduce the calculus to a virtually non-verbal action/reaction basis - judging only on actions and disregarding the noise that the diplomatic talk has become.  You argue that the nuclear threats have created that scenario, and I agree.  Lavrov's contribution has never been at all remotely helpful to Russia's goal and you may be right that he's been a singular negative to them in public eyes.  But it would be hard for him not to be, saddled with the task of being the spokesperson for evil.  Nuremburg 2.0 should be interesting.

View Quote

We’re far from the point of this being “over”, but at roughly this point in WW2, the responsible parties in Germany were starting to consider their personal exit strategies - how do they personally avoid accountability?
The shit that’s going on behind Russian lines is as bad as WW2.  Filtration camps, mass deportation, literal theft of Ukrainian children.  They should worry.
Link Posted: 6/18/2022 7:27:22 AM EDT
[#13]
Video of the aftermath of an IED in Kherson

Source: an attempt was made on the head of the USIN in the Kherson region
https://tass.ru/mezhdunarodnaya-panorama/14963895
KHERSON, June 18. /TASS/. The car of the head of the USIN in the Kherson region was blown up. Yevgeny Sobolev is currently in a medical institution, nothing threatens his life, a source in law enforcement agencies told TASS.

"The car of the head of USIN was blown up, at the moment his life is not in danger, he is in the hospital," the source said.

In mid-March, the Russian Defense Ministry reported that the Kherson region was under the complete control of Russian troops. At the end of April, a military-civilian administration was formed there, which governs the region. A dual-currency system has been introduced in the region, the ruble and hryvnia are in circulation, cellular communications are working at +7, and Russian TV channels have been launched.
Link Posted: 6/18/2022 7:31:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Prime] [#14]

Allegedly Wagner.

Link Posted: 6/18/2022 8:00:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Prime] [#15]
https://t.me/tass_agency/141314
Russian source says “1-2 fighters of the Azov battalion are regularly found, who did not surrender on May 20” (four days old)

122mm GRAD mounted on a Unimog.

3 Russian MT-LBs

Captured Russians
Russian SU-25 pilot
Random orc

Uganda received Russian combat helicopters Mi-28NE
https://bmpd.livejournal.com/4542920.html
During a visit on June 16, 2022, the President of Uganda, Yoweri Museveni, to the main air base of the Ugandan Air Force in the city of Entebbe, the first Russian-made Mi-28NE combat helicopters received by the Ugandan Air Force were demonstrated. Three Mi-28NE helicopters can be counted on video and photographic materials from Entebbe, there are no tail numbers on them, but the identification marks of the Uganda Air Force are applied on the tail. Previously, the supply of combat helicopters of this type to Uganda was not reported.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/russian-escalations-in-syria-risk-direct-conflict-with-u-s-military-officials-warn-11655504591?mod=hp_lead_pos9
Russian forces have conducted a series of operations against the U.S.-led coalition in Syria this month, including one this week at a strategically located base in the southern part of the country, U.S. military officials said.

The Russian actions have alarmed U.S. military officials, who are concerned that a miscalculation might escalate into an unintended conflict between the U.S. and Russian forces in Syria. Tensions between the two countries are already high following Russia’s invasion of Ukraine in February and American efforts to arm the Ukraine military to defeat Russian forces there.
Link Posted: 6/18/2022 8:52:20 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Prime:

Allegedly Wagner.

View Quote

LOL, there's one T-62 in that group with a cope cage.
Link Posted: 6/18/2022 8:53:10 AM EDT
[#17]
Interview with the two captured Americans.  Serbian journalist who is in the Russian controlled part of Ukraine.

POJMA NISMO IMALI ŠTA NAS OVDE ČEКA: ispovest Amerikanaca zarobljenih kod Harkova!
Link Posted: 6/18/2022 9:02:48 AM EDT
[#18]

49.02384325164585, 37.50842012643482
View Quote

M777's being used to take out a Russian Tank and two IFV's

https://www.reddit.com/r/CombatFootage/comments/vf1eqg/m777_howitzers_of_the_ukrainian_81st_airmobile/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

Was geolocated to the two claimed T-90's exploding the other day.

Link Posted: 6/18/2022 9:06:13 AM EDT
[#19]

View Quote

Lazy ass Russians could have saved most of those launchers with the Ukrainians being retarded in their use of artillery.

This is like watching two drunk bums fight.  

Link Posted: 6/18/2022 9:07:33 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 6/18/2022 9:40:53 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 6/18/2022 9:48:04 AM EDT
[#22]
View Quote

That’s a big and strong chick! IIRC, those weigh about 95 pounds. Well done maam.
Link Posted: 6/18/2022 9:53:52 AM EDT
[#23]
Very good, but long, talk on the material situation and some strategy,

War in Ukraine: Your questions answered
Link Posted: 6/18/2022 10:00:41 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By MouseBoy:

The A-10 was originally designed to defend the Fulda Gap.  A mountainous road that runs through a chokepoint valley.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By kpacman:
Originally Posted By GTLandser:

You know, I love the A-10 as much as the next guy, but I just can't imagine those tactics are very effective.

Maybe the Ukrainians lack for enough electronic systems, but if someone can explain to me whether/how the A-10 would do much better, given the same operating environment, I would love to know.

If MANPADs are the #1 threat, then there isn't anything except for flares or avoiding the area entirely, AFAIK.

I ran into an A-10 pilot at a German B&B years ago. He was there during a NATO war exercise.

I was talking about the planes capabilities, and he conceded that if a conflict with Russia took place, the A-10 "would have a very short and glorious life".

Attack helicopters that could pop up over tree tops and take out positions was more effective and the AF had been trying to kill the A-10 for that reason.

The A-10 was originally designed to defend the Fulda Gap.  A mountainous road that runs through a chokepoint valley.

Weird how ‘Fulda Gap’ comes up so often on GD. A completely irrelevant location.
Link Posted: 6/18/2022 10:09:27 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By sq40:
Very good, but long, talk on the material situation and some strategy,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJLC6YQOqHA
View Quote

"warfare is more unpredictable than sport"

Link Posted: 6/18/2022 10:14:49 AM EDT
[#26]

The cheap hardware is useful on such a large scale.  Some three letter agency should have a crash program to create a firmware reflash to give different capabilities of both the drone and receiver to reduce the impact of this (encyrpting the data channel, different protocol, etc.).
Link Posted: 6/18/2022 10:17:21 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By Wreckshooter:

Weird how ‘Fulda Gap’ comes up so often on GD. A completely irrelevant location.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By kpacman:
Originally Posted By GTLandser:

You know, I love the A-10 as much as the next guy, but I just can't imagine those tactics are very effective.

Maybe the Ukrainians lack for enough electronic systems, but if someone can explain to me whether/how the A-10 would do much better, given the same operating environment, I would love to know.

If MANPADs are the #1 threat, then there isn't anything except for flares or avoiding the area entirely, AFAIK.

I ran into an A-10 pilot at a German B&B years ago. He was there during a NATO war exercise.

I was talking about the planes capabilities, and he conceded that if a conflict with Russia took place, the A-10 "would have a very short and glorious life".

Attack helicopters that could pop up over tree tops and take out positions was more effective and the AF had been trying to kill the A-10 for that reason.

Some of us are old enough to remember when it was a very important location. And unfortunately, others think it still is.
Link Posted: 6/18/2022 10:17:27 AM EDT
[#28]

That’s a big and strong chick! IIRC, those weigh about 95 pounds. Well done maam.
View All Quotes

The old rounds had a standard nominal weight of 95lbs, the newer ones like she is carrying has nominal standard weight of 103lbs.
Link Posted: 6/18/2022 10:29:24 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By nomansland:

The cheap hardware is useful on such a large scale.  Some three letter agency should have a crash program to create a firmware reflash to give different capabilities of both the drone and receiver to reduce the impact of this (encyrpting the data channel, different protocol, etc.).
View Quote

For me it’s another example of China’s “neutrality” and “peace” talk is bs
Link Posted: 6/18/2022 10:32:30 AM EDT
[#30]

Video of the aftermath of an IED in Kherson

Source: an attempt was made on the head of the USIN in the Kherson region
https://tass.ru/mezhdunarodnaya-panorama/14963895
KHERSON, June 18. /TASS/. The car of the head of the USIN in the Kherson region was blown up. Yevgeny Sobolev is currently in a medical institution, nothing threatens his life, a source in law enforcement agencies told TASS.

"The car of the head of USIN was blown up, at the moment his life is not in danger, he is in the hospital," the source said.

In mid-March, the Russian Defense Ministry reported that the Kherson region was under the complete control of Russian troops. At the end of April, a military-civilian administration was formed there, which governs the region. A dual-currency system has been introduced in the region, the ruble and hryvnia are in circulation, cellular communications are working at +7, and Russian TV channels have been launched.
View Quote

Cafe now car, maybe that resistance is getting some assistance
Link Posted: 6/18/2022 10:39:59 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By AROKIE:
ukrainian Antifa fighting the russians.

short 30 min doc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsodbPkjO3c
View Quote

Antifa of any affiliation can fuck off and die. They are evil Marxist bastards.
Link Posted: 6/18/2022 10:41:35 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By K0UA:

I suppose that is an MG-3 in 7.62x51   or who knows it might be an old MG-42 in 7.92x57... I mean after all we are seeing Mosins in service.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By K0UA:
Originally Posted By Dracster:
"Marines of the Navy of the Armed Forces of Ukraine began to seize British armored vehicles Mastiff

In the south of Ukraine, intensive training of units of a separate battalion of the Marine Brigade. Rear Admiral Mykhailo Ostrohradsky until further assignment.
During the exercises, the Marines mastered all types of weapons provided by our partners, in particular, the video shows the use of Mastiff patrol cars (6x6)

Step by step to Victory!"

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/48680/photo_2022-06-17_09-03-00_jpg-2421154.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/48680/photo_2022-06-17_09-03-06_jpg-2421156.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/48680/photo_2022-06-17_09-03-07_jpg-2421160.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/48680/photo_2022-06-17_09-03-01_jpg-2421161.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/48680/photo_2022-06-17_09-03-06__2__jpg-2421163.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/48680/photo_2022-06-17_09-03-05_jpg-2421164.JPG

I suppose that is an MG-3 in 7.62x51   or who knows it might be an old MG-42 in 7.92x57... I mean after all we are seeing Mosins in service.

MG42/59 from Italy, not a MG3.
Link Posted: 6/18/2022 10:46:37 AM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By M-1975:
"   This is how they treat wounded Kadyrovites in the LPR - FUCK   "

View Quote

I heard an "allah akbar" followed by "aaaaaaaaah" and "blyat" and "cyka" as they dragged his nasty ass down the hill.  I expect he's a good orc now.  
Link Posted: 6/18/2022 11:12:34 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By CarmelBytheSea:

Cafe now car, maybe that resistance is getting some assistance
View Quote

Isn't it beautiful?

I imagine having a group of committed partisans inside the city will only make it easier for Ukrainian troops to take Kherson back, especially if they have a reliable means to communicate. Not only can those partisans sabotage Russian equipment and pick them off by ones and twos, they can help Ukrainian forces precisely target Russian forces within the city.
Link Posted: 6/18/2022 11:14:59 AM EDT
[#35]
Damn I was following this thread every day since the start but went on vacation then got busy for a month so I am WAY behind. Is UKR still holding their ground? Are other countries still kicking in to help with munitions etc?
Link Posted: 6/18/2022 11:24:28 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By Nutro:
Damn I was following this thread every day since the start but went on vacation then got busy for a month so I am WAY behind. Is UKR still holding their ground? Are other countries still kicking in to help with munitions etc?
View Quote

It's largely a stalemate and Ukraine says they need shells for their artillery.
Link Posted: 6/18/2022 11:33:45 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By Ryan_Ruck:

View All Quotes

Ohh really

Lol

"Chili Has Beans MF'ers"
"From Arfcom With Love"

Link Posted: 6/18/2022 11:37:49 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 6/18/2022 11:39:38 AM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By DKUltra:
I am shocked at this allegation

View All Quotes

Surprised it took this long for them to do it.
Link Posted: 6/18/2022 11:40:52 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 6/18/2022 11:44:59 AM EDT
[#41]

I thought their Aeroscope was available to anybody. The Ukrainians could be using it as well. This is why I don't use Chicom DJI shit.
Link Posted: 6/18/2022 11:56:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Jack67] [#42]

View Quote

It’s been used as a substitute word/phrase for a broader Cold War ground invasion for a long time. So it doesn’t always literally mean that patch of ground itself.

It’s technically called “synecdoche” as a figure of speech. It is sometimes over-used and if that irks you, I get that, too.
Link Posted: 6/18/2022 12:20:09 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 6/18/2022 12:32:12 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 6/18/2022 12:57:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: grambosc] [#45]
Lol

"Chili Has Beans MF'ers"
"From Arfcom With Love"

View All Quotes

Ohh really

Lol

"Chili Has Beans MF'ers"
"From Arfcom With Love"

"BIG ORCS EAT BIG SHELLS "

Maybe collect a few and make that the next thread poll
Link Posted: 6/18/2022 1:08:20 PM EDT
[#46]

So what? China does not say anything unless they plan to get a specific response from saying it. What is it he is trying to accomplish by telling this to the world? Is it some kind of a warning?
Link Posted: 6/18/2022 1:14:21 PM EDT
[#47]
Use some American know how and quickly develop, iterate, and produce a steel tubed M777, build a fuck ton of them, and send them. Ramp up production of arty shells and propellant, and ramp down sending shit from our own stocks. Contract AK's and ammunition from former combloc industry and send those. I dont understand why we're just sending our stock.
Link Posted: 6/18/2022 1:18:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CarmelBytheSea] [#48]
Originally Posted By stone-age:

So what? China does not say anything unless they plan to get a specific response from saying it. What is it he is trying to accomplish by telling this to the world? Is it some kind of a warning?
View Quote

My take is he wants the countries who aren’t committed to enforcing the sanctions already to either stay on board or get on board the belt and road which includes Russia and not follow sanctions. China is promoting its own currency as a replacement to the dollar and an alternative banking system. Whether it’s Iran, North Korea, Venezuela or Russia they want South Americans, Africans, South Asians, etc. to look to Beijing for their economy and ditch the dollar, sanctions, etc. and long term it’s a prep for Taiwan and world reaction, sanctions on them like what’s happening with Russia. Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/18/2022 1:38:35 PM EDT
[#49]

Uh....great let's do 4 per month until they have 100 of them.

We should have been planning for that from the start. That is, if we really wanted to win and didn't want to face a revanchist Russia again for another 100 years.
Link Posted: 6/18/2022 1:57:43 PM EDT
[#50]
"Russian troops began to use T-62 tanks for an offensive in the Popasnaya area. Also, T-64 tanks are being removed from storage and transferred to the front.
Apparently, the Russian Federation is experiencing a shortage of more modern T-80 and T-72/90 tanks, so you have to use very old tanks."

Page / 5591
OFFICIAL Russo-Ukrainian War (Page 2110 of 5591)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top