Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
OFFICIAL Russo-Ukrainian War (Page 2603 of 5592)
Page / 5592
You Must Be Logged In To Vote

Link Posted: 9/24/2022 6:57:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 7:05:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By theskuh:

Them: Hey nice roof top tent! Me: yea about that.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By theskuh:
Originally Posted By Evil_Chaos:
What do you think the price of this is "off the lot?"
ETA: Maybe we could do a group buy for a package deal on this and the superbonker 9000

Them: Hey nice roof top tent! Me: yea about that.

Needs a laser equipped drone and some APKWS kits.  
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 7:06:28 PM EDT
[#3]
I am not a highly trained general who went to all the cool schools, but pressing in the north seems to offer two advantages:

1) Cover.  Forests and trees are easier to sneak through than open plains.  The open plains in the south may be "tank country" but they are also "I can see you and destroy you" country.

2) If they can press far enough to the east they can cut off the land bridge to Crimea and the south.  

IMO attacks in Kherson are necessary to keep RU troops pinned.  A soldier defending the south is one less defending the north.  Once the land bridge to Kherson is cut UA needs to cut the land bridge to Crimea.  They will die on the vine.

Link Posted: 9/24/2022 7:10:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Russian air defences trying to stop Himars in Nova Kakhovka, Sam explodes above the cameraman.

Link Posted: 9/24/2022 7:10:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: YaNi05] [#5]
Originally Posted By Dr_Nimslow:

My wife is from Mykolaiv.  She follows a ton of local telegram channels, and other groups.  Today she just said, "Ukraine is losing in Kershon".  Foe whatever thats worth.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Dr_Nimslow:
Originally Posted By sq40:

Thanks for that.

That's a really tough fight.  With the Russian artillery active, and them having their backs against the river they can't cross, it's a real deal siege and assault with peer parity.  It seems that they will be stalemated through winter.

My wife is from Mykolaiv.  She follows a ton of local telegram channels, and other groups.  Today she just said, "Ukraine is losing in Kershon".  Foe whatever thats worth.
Anything in particular? I have not seen anything to suggest Ukraine is losing Kherson. Did she mean the left back via 'referendum'?

And the fight in Kherson was never going to be the blitzkreig everyone was nutting themselves about. All they need to do is keep interdicting supplies across the river and keep in contact with the Russians. Force them to expend their ammo, fuel, food, and they will eventually run out. The river doesn't freeze in the winter, at least that far South, so at worst it's going to be a long cold winter for the Ruskies on the right bank. There have been reports of Putie stepping in and making strategic decisions. One was in regard to forces on the right back retreating across the river, so I don't think it will go that long.
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 7:11:28 PM EDT
[#6]
This just played on my Spotify->

Listen, children, to a story
That was written long ago
'Bout a kingdom on a mountain
And the valley-folk below
On the mountain was a treasure
Buried deep beneath the stone
And the valley-people swore
They'd have it for their very own
Go ahead and hate your neighbor
Go ahead and cheat a friend
Do it in the name of heaven
You can justify it in the end
There won't be any trumpets blowing
Come the judgment day
On the bloody morning after
One tin soldier rides away
So the people of the valley
Sent a message up the hill
Asking for the buried treasure
Tons of gold for which they'd kill
It came an answer from the mountain
With our brothers we will share
All the secrets of our mountain
All the riches buried there
Come the judgment day
Now the valley cried with anger
"Mount your horses! Draw your sword!"
And they killed the mountain-people
So they won their just reward
Now they stood beside the treasure
On the mountain, dark and red
Turned the stone and looked beneath it
"Peace on Earth" was all it said
Come the judgment day
Come the judgment day

Some things never change.

Link Posted: 9/24/2022 7:13:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 7:18:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Meanwhile in Iran.

Link Posted: 9/24/2022 7:18:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Ryan_Scott:
I want a Tigr for $5000.
View Quote
I'm not sure the state department would let you import it. Which is messed up.
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 7:19:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By AlmightyTallest:
Meanwhile in Iran.

View Quote

Twitter hater link
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 7:20:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Zam18th:

When does Ben's flight leave for Poland?  

View Quote
If I'm headed to buy armor it won't be a Tiger.
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 7:20:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Dang, no ejection from a Ka-52 again.

Link Posted: 9/24/2022 7:20:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Bama_Rebel:

Yeah, Ukraine was just a feint. He's holding back all the good troops and equipment for the pincer attack into Finland and Estonia. Master strategist indeed.
Sarc.
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/24/2022 7:22:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 7:23:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By ITCHY-FINGER:

To keep the pressure on so they cannot send anything up North where the UA is making the most progress?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ITCHY-FINGER:
Originally Posted By anonimovaca:

I am not saying that Kherson is not desirable for Ukraine, but asking if the territory gained in Kherson is worth the casualties (which are reported to be high).

If Russia is going to have trouble resupplying Kherson, why throw a bunch of manpower directly assaulting it?

Ukraine seems to be able to hit anything in the region with HIMARS.

To keep the pressure on so they cannot send anything up North where the UA is making the most progress?

Does Russia even have the ability to send things North? There are almost daily reports about pontoon ferries being hit, vehicles waiting to cross, hits on the dam, etc. I have my doubts that Russia could even move a significant amount of equipment North if they wanted to.

It doesn’t seem like a good strategy to throw a bunch of armor where it will get destroyed by artillery, just to try and keep forces in place.

With HIMARS able to hit anything in the region, why attack when it’s not beneficial for you to do so?

I am sure there’s information we are not privy to, but we can criticize Russian strategy, I think we should look at Ukrainian strategy critically as well.

Is impossible talking to pro-Russians because they claim Russian military does no wrong, we shouldn’t do the same just because we want Ukraine to come out on top.
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 7:25:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By CharlieR:

Depends when this article was written. Was it a few weeks ago?

Its a fixing attack.  Its like poker. Its a bluff.  

You cant just sit there and send a few patrols.  If you want a bluff, you gotta put down some chips.

They are sacrificing infantry to artillery to show the Russians they are serious, or really, draw attention to the bluff. In military terms, its a feint.

There was an ethics class about this I took a gazillion years ago.  In the name of OPSEC, you dont tell the attackers its a feint. They have no right to know.  They have to sell it.

The price of a decisive outcome in the East is someone has to take the hit and do the frontal assaults to draw fire, attention, and iron in the West.

Here is a classic, but simple description by one of the great military geniuses of the 20th century.

What is going on in the West was an economy of force, a fixing operation with deception to make it look like the decisive maneuver.  But the decisive maneuver was East.  And being the fixing force sucks.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By CharlieR:
Originally Posted By stone-age:

I also find it strange that Ukraine seems to be clawing forward while taking losses. They have proven to fight smart, there must be a bigger reason than just taking ground. Maybe they need this ground to put the himars in range of something very important.

Depends when this article was written. Was it a few weeks ago?

Its a fixing attack.  Its like poker. Its a bluff.  

You cant just sit there and send a few patrols.  If you want a bluff, you gotta put down some chips.

They are sacrificing infantry to artillery to show the Russians they are serious, or really, draw attention to the bluff. In military terms, its a feint.

There was an ethics class about this I took a gazillion years ago.  In the name of OPSEC, you dont tell the attackers its a feint. They have no right to know.  They have to sell it.

The price of a decisive outcome in the East is someone has to take the hit and do the frontal assaults to draw fire, attention, and iron in the West.

Here is a classic, but simple description by one of the great military geniuses of the 20th century.

Certainly, we agree, but the situation in war will resemble that of two men fighting under similar conditions, such as in the dark, wherein a man can only locate and reconnoitre his enemy by actually touching and feeling him. Thus the man-in-the-dark resembles the commander in modern war. Let us examine the correct principles of action which a man seeking to attack an enemy in the dark would naturally adopt.

"The Man Fighting in the Dark."
1.     In the first place he must seek his enemy. Therefore, the man stretches out one arm to grope for his enemy, keeping it supple and ready to guard himself from surprise.

This may be termed the principle of "protective formation."

2.     When his outstretched arm touches his enemy, he would rapidly feel his way to a highly vulnerable spot, such as the latter's throat.

This is the principle of "reconnaissance."

3.     The man will then seize his adversary firmly by the throat, holding him at arm's length so that the latter can neither strike back effectively, nor wriggle away to avoid or parry the decisive blow.

This is the principle of "fixing."

4.     Then while his enemy's whole attention is absorbed by the menacing hand at his throat, with his other fist the man strikes his opponent from an unexpected direction in an unguarded spot, delivering out of the dark a decisive knock-out blow.

This is the principle of "decisive manoeuvre."

5.     Before his enemy can recover the man instantly follows up his advantage by taking steps to render him finally powerless.

This is the principle of full and immediate "exploitation" of success.

To follow these principles is the only sure path to victory. We can only neglect the fixing phase, if our enemy commits some mistake, such as the neglect of his own security, by which he fixes himself without our intervention and so exposes himself to our decisive blow.

Now the whole action of our man-in-the-dark can be simplified into two categories:—

Guarding and Hitting.

The man guards against two dangers. Firstly, that of personal injury from the enemy's blows; secondly, that the enemy may avoid his knock-out blow, and thus cause him to overbalance.

The man guards against these two dangers by extending one arm in front of him ready to parry and take the sting out of any blow aimed at his body; by using this arm to grope for and feel the enemy; and, finally, when he has located the enemy, by seizing the enemy so firmly at a spot (the throat) so vital that he will be forced to concentrate all his energy on its defence.

All these actions have a common object, and therefore may be grouped under one principle, termed "security."

When the man has fixed his enemy, he delivers a decisive knockout blow. It will be obvious that the harder this blow the more likely it is to be decisive. Hence the man must put his maximum possible force into it, while he only uses the necessary minimum of strength to carry out the preparatory operations. This is the principle of "Economy of Force." But the man can increase the effect of his available strength by surprising the enemy; by his speed; by the momentum or "follow through" behind his blows; by striking his opponent's most vulnerable spots; by full exploitation of every opening or advantage; by husbanding his energy; and by moving his limbs and muscles in harmony like the parts of a well-oiled machine. All these are means to promote economy of force, and therefore can be grouped under that principle.

What is going on in the West was an economy of force, a fixing operation with deception to make it look like the decisive maneuver.  But the decisive maneuver was East.  And being the fixing force sucks.

Another important reason you often don't tell the supporting effort it is a Feint is because often, if the feint achieves breakthrough or success, it is reinforced and may become the main effort.   A higher maneuver  commander who is worth anything will always trying to avoid fixation on the plan and be ready to flex to reinforce and exploit success.  Unless it is strictly a spoiling attack, or there is a key strategic objective that needs to be serviced on the main attack axis (and Only on the main axis), higher commanders want their fixing force to cross LD fully ready to break through the enemy ready to roll into exploitation and pursuit.  The plan may be for the Main effort to achieve it's objectives and the supporting effort to take one for the team; however, a knowledgeable commander understands that the planning process and commander's intent are key to success and most plans as written don't survive first contact with the enemy
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 7:29:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Meanwhile in Iran.

View Quote

Damn, I haven't even seen videos like that from Ukraine
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 7:29:45 PM EDT
[#18]

Does Russia even have the ability to send things North? There are almost daily reports about pontoon ferries being hit, vehicles waiting to cross, hits on the dam, etc. I have my doubts that Russia could even move a significant amount of equipment North if they wanted to.

It doesn’t seem like a good strategy to throw a bunch of armor where it will get destroyed by artillery, just to try and keep forces in place.

With HIMARS able to hit anything in the region, why attack when it’s not beneficial for you to do so?

I am sure there’s information we are not privy to, but we can criticize Russian strategy, I think we should look at Ukrainian strategy critically as well.

Is impossible talking to pro-Russians because they claim Russian military does no wrong, we shouldn’t do the same just because we want Ukraine to come out on top.
View Quote

Artillery is no more capable of taking ground than other kinds of airpower are. If you want to take ground you have to roll over it. And by attacking they exhaust Russian supplies to force a conclusion.
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 7:30:36 PM EDT
[#19]

lol, I up my order for a T-80, those have to only be $15,000
View Quote
Working on the Cold War collection so we need some Russian artillery

Link Posted: 9/24/2022 7:30:39 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By LurkerII:

Twitter hater link
View Quote

It’s hard to piece things together because of the blackout. Some observers are saying this feels different; has broader support. Supposedly some smaller towns have overthrown police/basij control. Looks like a real regime threat.

In a dreamscape, if Iran and Russia are off the board as terror sponsors - boy, so much of the world becomes so much better off.
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 7:33:24 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By absael:

View Quote

Wow. This seems like an opportunity for the US to topple the govt and install our own friendly and corrupt religious crazy.
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 7:34:03 PM EDT
[#22]

View All Quotes
Meanwhile in Iran.

I was hoping this sort of thing would start in Russia instead of letting their people go to slaughter in Ukraine.
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 7:36:29 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By m35ben:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/390973/11896043_1486004875032249_15584972804201-2537986.jpg
View All Quotes

lol, I up my order for a T-80, those have to only be $15,000

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/390973/11896043_1486004875032249_15584972804201-2537986.jpg

Neat!  That looks like a lot of refurbishment work though.
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 7:37:44 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Birddog15:

I agree.  That looks more like political posturing than something realistic.

I expect Russia is about to find out that it takes way more than just a bunch of people to make an effective army.  The same goes for Ukraine too.

Regardless, whatever Ukraine needs to keep expanding its capabilities, we would be wise to supply.

View Quote
I agree .

I want to see the AFU slottin invaders with PSAs
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 7:43:42 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Third_Rail:

They have.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgdWNryUhr0
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Third_Rail:
Originally Posted By Chaingun:
Originally Posted By 4xGM300m:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdwjcayPuag

Even shorter video.
Until they get away from the glam video, the thing doesn't work

Run actual multiple tests

They have.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgdWNryUhr0
A whole bunch of single targets, that's Test #1

100 more tests to complete including Iranian swarms
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 7:46:33 PM EDT
[#26]

View Quote
Equivalent to our section 8 housing

They better just surrender and not return to RU
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 7:55:04 PM EDT
[#27]

I also find it strange that Ukraine seems to be clawing forward while taking losses. They have proven to fight smart, there must be a bigger reason than just taking ground. Maybe they need this ground to put the himars in range of something very important.
View All Quotes

Why is Ukraine advancing at all though? Do they really need to take territory before the October rains? Ukraine isn’t taking back that much territory, why should hundreds of men die and dozens of vehicles be destroyed for not much land gained?

Maybe Ukraine was trying to cause another mass Russian retreat before the sham referendums. But everyone already knows they are a sham, except for pro-Russians. Doesn’t seem worth it to me to have men die just to disrupt a referendum that doesn’t matter anyway.

IMHO, the southern attacks are designed in pin the russian forces in place, thereby keeping them from being redeployed to help elsewhere, thus helping the advances up north to continue.

I could be wrong, but that's what I thought when I heard about the northern attack after all the publicity about attacking in the south.
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 8:06:27 PM EDT
[#28]
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Zam18th:

When does Ben's flight leave for Poland?  

Everything must go. Come for the Tigers, stay for the Terminators and T-90M's

Link Posted: 9/24/2022 8:19:22 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By Jack67:

It’s hard to piece things together because of the blackout. Some observers are saying this feels different; has broader support. Supposedly some smaller towns have overthrown police/basij control. Looks like a real regime threat.

In a dreamscape, if Iran and Russia are off the board as terror sponsors - boy, so much of the world becomes so much better off.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Jack67:
Originally Posted By LurkerII:

Twitter hater link

The military will crush the protests.

Link Posted: 9/24/2022 8:20:21 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 8:21:19 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By Ryan_Scott:
I want a Tigr for $5000.
View Quote

I'll surprise my younger Brother with a KA52. He flew one a while back somewhere in the world and just loves them even though they are russian junk. I'd rather fly his R22/44.

So if anyone on the russian side is following this thread...set me up a deal near Poland and we'll figure it out...

Link Posted: 9/24/2022 8:21:20 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By HIPPO:
View Quote

Damn. Called it.
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 8:22:27 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By THOT_Vaccine:
View Quote

Love the 2s7 shots.  Rain some hell down on em.
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 8:26:20 PM EDT
[#34]

Link Posted: 9/24/2022 8:29:37 PM EDT
[#36]
View Quote

Fuck me. My USMC time was like a 5 star accommodation compared to festering shithole...

Link Posted: 9/24/2022 8:33:55 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By Cobradriver:

Fuck me. My USMC time was like a 5 star accommodation compared to festering shithole...

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Cobradriver:

lol, so you had the optional pillow?
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 8:34:39 PM EDT
[#38]

People keep using this word. I don't know what you can do to somebody who has just proven they will launch nukes, unless you nuke them first. You can't do something to somebody who just launched a nuke and expect they won't launch a nuke at you. Or a half dozen nukes at you. They just nuked somebody.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By grambosc:

Good assessment.  Regardless of the hand wringing by the Neville Chamberlain types, even a single act of nuclear aggression by Russia could not go unanswered.  And it's more likely to be multiples, which will guarantee a response.

People keep using this word. I don't know what you can do to somebody who has just proven they will launch nukes, unless you nuke them first. You can't do something to somebody who just launched a nuke and expect they won't launch a nuke at you. Or a half dozen nukes at you. They just nuked somebody.

The West could absolutely not let that stand or else nuclear blackmail will become SOP's for Russia to continue taking Eastern Europe, for other terrorist regimes to do as they please, and for China to expand in Asia. Dark times.

If I was running things, I'd probably tell Russia we are beginning aid operations to the area and their forces are to stand down and leave all of UA immediately. When they don't and inevitably paint our aircraft and/or fire on us, we commence destroying every Russian unit in UA and obliterate the Kerch bridge.

Link Posted: 9/24/2022 8:36:03 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 8:39:47 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By Zhukov:

For you arty-types: How far do you disperse individual guns so they're not (as) susceptible to counter-battery fire?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Zhukov:

For you arty-types: How far do you disperse individual guns so they're not (as) susceptible to counter-battery fire?
A 155mm covers 300 meters, so 150m per piece
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 8:42:45 PM EDT
[#41]

So far there are lots of indications on my feeds this is a hoax and people are running with it.
View All Quotes
We may never actually know considering its freakin China
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 8:44:15 PM EDT
[#42]

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FdddQDqX0AEaluY?format=jpg&name=900x900
View Quote
What might be more interesting is what might be about to pop off up at the Kupyansk bridgehead.
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 8:50:33 PM EDT
[#43]

Yet another battlefield innovation from second best army in Ukraine
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 8:55:39 PM EDT
[#44]
View Quote
From about three weeks ago:

Artillery Barrel Wear
When will this Russian Howitzer explode? (2A65 Msta-B Barrel life estimation from shell casings)
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 8:56:56 PM EDT
[#45]
Meanwhile in Iran.

View Quote
ANTIFA riots spreading overseas
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 9:04:15 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By HIPPO:
View Quote

Uh oh, here comes the nukes!! They're attacking RUSSIAN land now!
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 9:05:38 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By GiggleSmith:
ANTIFA riots spreading overseas
View Quote
Those people in Iran actually have things to riot about and rebel against.
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 9:12:49 PM EDT
[#48]
Russian air defences trying to stop Himars in Nova Kakhovka, Sam explodes above the cameraman.

View Quote

Camera man needed change of drawers after that 💥
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 9:13:58 PM EDT
[#49]
An interesting online spreadsheet showing all of the losses of the Russian forces since the 2nd day until the present day by day.

Russian Losses
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 9:16:14 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By Snerticus:
This just played on my Spotify->

Listen, children, to a story
That was written long ago
'Bout a kingdom on a mountain
And the valley-folk below
On the mountain was a treasure
Buried deep beneath the stone
And the valley-people swore
They'd have it for their very own
Come the judgment day
So the people of the valley
Sent a message up the hill
Asking for the buried treasure
Tons of gold for which they'd kill
It came an answer from the mountain
With our brothers we will share
All the secrets of our mountain
All the riches buried there
Come the judgment day
Now the valley cried with anger
"Mount your horses! Draw your sword!"
And they killed the mountain-people
So they won their just reward
Now they stood beside the treasure
On the mountain, dark and red
Turned the stone and looked beneath it
"Peace on Earth" was all it said
Come the judgment day
Come the judgment day

Some things never change.

View Quote

Yep. First time I remember hearing that song I was 8 maybe 9 at the public pool on the juke box.

That song had a profound impact on me once I stopped and listened to the lyrics a couple of years later.
Page / 5592
OFFICIAL Russo-Ukrainian War (Page 2603 of 5592)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top