Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

OFFICIAL Russo-Ukrainian War (Page 2815 of 5591)
Page / 5591
You Must Be Logged In To Vote

Link Posted: 10/13/2022 11:53:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By weptek911:

That is great looking gear!

Where did the sub gun magazine pouch come from or who makes them?

@Kagetora
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By weptek911:
Originally Posted By Kagetora:

Glad it got there. Slava Ukraine!

That is great looking gear!

Where did the sub gun magazine pouch come from or who makes them?

@Kagetora

I'm honestly not sure. At the beginning of the year when i picked up my 509T and a bunch of extra 24 round mags for it, I ordered several pouches like that to see if any of them would work to hold the mags. They're an odd size and most of the pouches ended up being too long/deep and not adjustable enough for them. So, they went in a box. I'm still looking for the others to send along to gentlemanfarmer.

I'm sorry that's not an answer. If I remembered, I certainly wouldn't keep it a secret.
Link Posted: 10/14/2022 12:09:28 AM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By brahm:

thank you.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By spydercomonkey:

Archive link to bypass paywall; it is indeed a terrific article.

https://archive.ph/G42wy

thank you.

Remember Rumsfield saying we need to get away from the mentality of big tanks, big APCs etc and transition to a more lightweight force focused on technology and hard striking power?

That article reminded me of just that.
Link Posted: 10/14/2022 12:10:22 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By CharlieR:

In Afghanistan units didnt dig in too much.

The biggest risks were getting ambushed while on the move, or stepping on an IED while on the move.  Stationary, after dark, US had NODs, and the enemy attacking was very unlikely.  And digging in could be noisy and give your position away.

Under those very specific conditions it was better to be quiet and not let anyone know exactly where you are, so you didn't walk into an ambush the next morning, or let the enemy pinpoint your location and lay mines and IEDs nearby. I cant think of a dismounted unit getting hit in the dark while stationary.  

Id say it will make a comeback.

Picture a recon patrol moving through the jungles of Vietnam. Or Ukrainian SOF behind Russian lines.  If the enemy doesn't know where they are, pulling out an e-tool and whanging a hole at 10pm doesn't help.  In Afghanistan it was more pronounced as we could see infinitely better, and making a ton of noise is how you would get detected.

In a few cases, like if troops were going to occupy a compound and wait for trouble to arrive, they'd bring e-tools, but it was to fill some sandbags to put on the roof.
View Quote

Pretty much this. Fuck day time ops if you could help it in regards to infill. 0200-0330ish was the sweet spot, and we usually rode in our Stykers Recon vehicle, or when 160TH was in the AO, we would taxi with them for raids. Try to occupy a building and then work out of there. Usually 24 hour, sometimes longer. Then its back to the FOB. From a Iraq experience, regardless if you were doing direct action or reconnaissance missions, you usually had a brief down at the TOC, and then you would head out later that night. You would complete the objective/s and then return. No one was "living" out of foxholes. Same thing if you were assigned for QRF, go out respond, come back. Often for us, it was almost a schedule, because we had a warm fuzzy on what missions laid a head, prep, plan and then execute. Like a "job" you get up go to work, come home.  Bad guys over there want to hit you with IEDs then follow up with small arms-rpgs. No arty, *mortars sometimes* and they had a decent idea on response time for CAS, so they didnt stick around too long. Just not a lot of reasons to dig a hole over there. It had happened, just not the norm for sure.
Link Posted: 10/14/2022 12:31:15 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By HIPPO:
View Quote

Wow, holy shit, if anyone wants to have a few minutes entertainment, go check out the Sons of Liberty International website, and their founder, the poster of this tweet.

Dude was either not made for this world, or he's as Looney as a Tune, or both.

Link Posted: 10/14/2022 1:12:05 AM EDT
[#5]
He seems like the sort of guy that will be training Idahoans to resist the government. Maybe we should give him money.
Link Posted: 10/14/2022 1:31:55 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By AlmightyTallest:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FenKi-OaUAASRho?format=jpg&name=large
View Quote

Have they been using those planes or they're concerned about the AA capabilities?
Link Posted: 10/14/2022 1:36:43 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By mercersfinest4:

In all fairness, why would SpaceX, a private enterprise, be expected to provide free equipment and service in UKR?

None of our defense contractors are providing free  should be picking up the tab for this.
View Quote

UKR should be picking up the tab for this!
Link Posted: 10/14/2022 1:40:41 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Chaingun:
Good and about time.  Hopefully thousands of orcs are captured or shot
View Quote

They generally get blown up.
Not shot. Artillery is the king.
Link Posted: 10/14/2022 2:00:14 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/14/2022 2:39:52 AM EDT
[#10]
View Quote

Attachment Attached File

Looks like she got a little something extra to keep her warm at night

Attachment Attached File

Sorry. It’s late
Link Posted: 10/14/2022 2:41:55 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By CenterMass762:

That sounds like a plausible reason.
View Quote

That dude is a CNN wonk.
Link Posted: 10/14/2022 2:46:41 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/14/2022 3:27:18 AM EDT
[#13]

They also ordered 500 HIMARS, which is insane as that how many the US had in total.

For reference, Ukraine has been causing havoc with ~16 of them.

https://www.thedefensepost.com/2022/06/07/poland-himars-us/
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Mal_means_bad:
lol, Poland, you getting scary.

Did they find a couple trillion dollar bills in their coat pocket?  They are not taking half measures.

They already ordered almost 5 billion dollars worth of M1 Abrams, plus the new ballistic missile defense systems. 96 Apache helicopter gunships, etc.

I feel safer, and hope the rest of Europe follows suit actually.

They also ordered 500 HIMARS, which is insane as that how many the US had in total.

Maybe they are going to invade Germany.  Or Belarus.
Link Posted: 10/14/2022 3:34:31 AM EDT
[#14]

Link Posted: 10/14/2022 3:35:28 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Drakich:

View All Quotes

Did they find a couple trillion dollar bills in their coat pocket?  They are not taking half measures.

They already ordered almost 5 billion dollars worth of M1 Abrams, plus the new ballistic missile defense systems. 96 Apache helicopter gunships, etc.

Word is HIMARS is getting passed over for Chunmoo.
Link Posted: 10/14/2022 3:37:31 AM EDT
[#16]

View All Quotes

Most likely they fear that if anything kicked off, they'd be on their own, and they look like they do not want to repeat the last time that happened to them,

Can't say as I'd blame them. With neighbours like Germany and Belarus/Russia I'd want to be well armed too...
Link Posted: 10/14/2022 4:18:33 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Ryan_Scott:

View Quote

I don’t blame them. They need 500 right now, not in a few years.

Lockheed’s facility is inadequate to meet production needs
Link Posted: 10/14/2022 4:24:49 AM EDT
[#18]
I suspect that Lockheed is a Tier 1 for Hanwha on Chunmoo also.
Link Posted: 10/14/2022 4:25:16 AM EDT
[#19]
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By lorazepam:
What a waste.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Fe-OdNFakAEeHXz?format=jpg&name=900x900

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/14/2022 4:39:14 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By GTLandser:

Wow, holy shit, if anyone wants to have a few minutes entertainment, go check out the Sons of Liberty International website, and their founder, the poster of this tweet.

Dude was either not made for this world, or he's as Looney as a Tune, or both.

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/bubbles_zps5bf5952f_GIF-110.gif
View Quote

A NGO dedicated to overthrowing/fighting .govs stationed in DC and founded by a dude who fought to remove Gaddafi?

Totally not a CIA/DoD asset
Link Posted: 10/14/2022 4:41:26 AM EDT
[#21]

View All Quotes

Or maybe they see what's coming in the next 10 years?
Link Posted: 10/14/2022 4:57:14 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Phocks:

Mostly not.  I got looked at funny for bringing a small shovel to NTC.  I didn't see another the entire time...and I was attached to an engineer BN.  I'm sure they had some, but Ft Irwin allows fighting positions but I didn't see a single one.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Phocks:

Related to this, when I would look at combat pictures of troops in Iraq and Afghanistan, I cant recall them ever having a shovel or spade / entrenching tool in their kit.

I guess holes werent dug then?

Is carrying an E-tool still SOP, or going to make a comeback?

Mostly not.  I got looked at funny for bringing a small shovel to NTC.  I didn't see another the entire time...and I was attached to an engineer BN.  I'm sure they had some, but Ft Irwin allows fighting positions but I didn't see a single one.

I wonder if Ukraine will prompt a return to e-tools?
Link Posted: 10/14/2022 5:02:41 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Taboot:

It would take the rest of my life to dig that hole in my yard with a shovel.  Fucking New England.  It's all rocks.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Taboot:
Originally Posted By BigGrumpyBear:

Yes.

The biggest advantage of trenches is they usually have communications trenches leading up to them from the rear, so if you are in a static front for a long time, with snipers galore, NCOs can check up on their grunts, you can come and go, get resupplied with chow, take a dump, do it all below ground.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/a/a1/Schwaben_Redoubt_aerial_photograph_10-05-1916_IWM_HU_91107.jpg/440px-Schwaben_Redoubt_aerial_photograph_10-05-1916_IWM_HU_91107.jpg

But a trench is impossible to camouflage, don't have overhead cover, and are very vulnerable to drones and proximity fuses.

I suspect both sides got used to them 2014-2021 and don't know any better.

The US went to foxholes, along with everyone else, mostly, in WWII. Easier to dig when your halted for a short while, camouflage, and put overhead cover on.  Generally, dogfaces had to stay put in their holes sunup to sundown, or get shot.  But if the enemy lines aren't that close, and you're getting pounded by artillery and UAVs, a better bet then a trench.

https://i.redd.it/e2xmh39ycoaz.jpg

You need some lumber for a roof but I can't imagine how we can supply HIMARS and not wood and sandbags.

There was a US officer in WWI, named Depuy, who became indignant that Germans dug better holes then us.  They would put a berm of dirt in the front and if suppressed, shoot around the side of their cover and catch the attacker in a crossfire.  A US trooper had to duck down in the bottom of his hole and couldn't stick his head up.  Think of Private Blythe in BoB.  

30 years later, Depuy made the Army conduct tests on what the best type of hole was, statistically prove his hole was better, and change the FMs to choose his type of hole.  He happened to be correct, and we've done it that way ever since.  The US Army fighting position is easier to put overhead cover on, and camouflage.

https://media.defense.gov/2013/Jan/15/2001177900/-1/-1/0/801921-U-LUD04-229.jpg

https://www.thesun.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2022/05/NINTCHDBPICT000732855970.jpg

Wonderful bit of history, thank you.

I spent most of my time in as light infantry, but back in the stone age when I was in, IIRC, the order of construction went: hasty fighting position, primary fighting position with overhead cover, clearing the fields of fire (FoF), secondary fighting position which covered the same FoF, alternate fighting position and then you connected it all with what I think were called communication trenches.

Someone whose mind isn't half gone can correct me but I think that was the order. Anyway, it was lots and lots and lots of digging.

Related to this, when I would look at combat pictures of troops in Iraq and Afghanistan, I cant recall them ever having a shovel or spade / entrenching tool in their kit.

It would take the rest of my life to dig that hole in my yard with a shovel.  Fucking New England.  It's all rocks.

That raises an interesting question. How are fighting holes prepared in countries / areas where the soil is rocky, or rock hard?

I recall in a sci fi book I read, the mech suited troopers had mini cratering charges for rapidly creating a fighting hole.
Link Posted: 10/14/2022 5:05:12 AM EDT
[#24]
View Quote

Justifies the decision in part because it helped Germany phase out Nuclear - a reliable carbon free source of power for a country obsessed with going Green.

What a fucking tard.
Link Posted: 10/14/2022 5:11:30 AM EDT
[#25]

The biggest risks were getting ambushed while on the move, or stepping on an IED while on the move.  Stationary, after dark, US had NODs, and the enemy attacking was very unlikely.  And digging in could be noisy and give your position away.

Under those very specific conditions it was better to be quiet and not let anyone know exactly where you are, so you didn't walk into an ambush the next morning, or let the enemy pinpoint your location and lay mines and IEDs nearby. I cant think of a dismounted unit getting hit in the dark while stationary.  

Picture a recon patrol moving through the jungles of Vietnam. Or Ukrainian SOF behind Russian lines.  If the enemy doesn't know where they are, pulling out an e-tool and whanging a hole at 10pm doesn't help.  In Afghanistan it was more pronounced as we could see infinitely better, and making a ton of noise is how you would get detected.

In a few cases, like if troops were going to occupy a compound and wait for trouble to arrive, they'd bring e-tools, but it was to fill some sandbags to put on the roof.
View All Quotes

Cool, that makes sense, thanks.
Link Posted: 10/14/2022 5:53:17 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By VooDoo3dfx:

Remember Rumsfield saying we need to get away from the mentality of big tanks, big APCs etc and transition to a more lightweight force focused on technology and hard striking power?

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By VooDoo3dfx:

Archive link to bypass paywall; it is indeed a terrific article.

https://archive.ph/G42wy

thank you.

I had to look it up, but now I totally see that.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rumsfeld_Doctrine

Ukraine is many ways has been living as a test bed for that theory, as well as a sort of A2AD strategy typically associated with China. HIMARS almost takes it further, as Rumsfeld talked about relying on airstrikes, but HIMARS+Spotting Drones are conducting effectively short range precision airstrikes at a fraction of the cost and logistics of an airforce.

When you look at this sort of 'light and precise/A2AD' hybrid vs conventional heavy armor thinking of the past, its pretty striking.

M1 Abrams = $8.9 million 2016 (not counting the enormous fuel, maintainance, training, and transport cost.)
-->Can buy 50x Javelin anti tank Missiles for same cost
-->Can buy 2x HIMARS for same cost

For smaller countries on limited budgets looking strictly for defense against invasion, focussing on Anti Tank, Anti Air, and HIMARS type long range precision fires makes a lot more sense than a traditional 'Tanks and Planes' centric army.
Link Posted: 10/14/2022 5:56:21 AM EDT
[#27]

View All Quotes

Can they use US/NATO GMLRS Pods?

Looks like a sort of HIMARS/M270 hybrid, a 12 shot HIMARS.
Link Posted: 10/14/2022 5:56:27 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By Capta:

It makes sense to wonder if Poland is doing a shadow buy for Ukrane.  Poland gets 300, Ukraine gets 200.  With transfer of production technology there will be no way to prevent such a deal by political means.
View Quote

How does Poland pay for their defense? I may be out of touch with Eastern Europe but I can't name a single Polish company, or product produced in Poland or even a resource they might export.

Link Posted: 10/14/2022 6:04:41 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By 4xGM300m:

But it's one of the worst things when anything happens to the dog.

Our four legged buddy took some shrapnel from a granade, 2 guys nearly got killed while rescuing the dog.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 4xGM300m:
Originally Posted By Swampgrass:
Originally Posted By Ryan_Ruck:

GSD is best dog!

It's always struck me how a dog in a combat zone brings most everyone over.

Probably a brief return to normal times and a bit of relief.

But it's one of the worst things when anything happens to the dog.

Our four legged buddy took some shrapnel from a granade, 2 guys nearly got killed while rescuing the dog.

Pretty good movie just came out about a military Dog and its handlers.  

DOG | Official Trailer | MGM Studios
Link Posted: 10/14/2022 6:05:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: CharlieR] [#30]

View Quote

In the Big Army up to about 2005, it was informally considered one of those ways you could tell a good unit from the bad. Im talking out in the field, training.  Good units roadmarched everywhere, got in little triangle shaped perimeters about 1800, dug little hasty prone positions about 18 inches down, and did stand to, where 1/2 hour before sunrise you are at 100% security, ruck packed, pulling security.

Bad units rode in trucks, slept in, and their patrol bases looked like gypsy camps, hootched up 24/7.  Bad units were about twice as good as the Russians.  You can tell some of these Ukrainians have excellent field discipline. Hunter or hunted types of indicators.  The Brits, when I worked with them, had outstanding field discipline.  The USMC did as well.

These were all the sorts of little useless things that we all incorporated as to "field discipline."  There was a period of time when young guys had no combat experience and old guys were Vietnam vets, and to be honest there was a strong crossover between Ranger school, things guys did in Vietnam, and the sorts of things a CSM might be looking for when he eyeballs your perimeter.

A lot of leaders were light on garrison discipline, like spitshining boots and barracks inspection, but a good trooper dug in and pulled security, and was up at stand to.  A good LT took his turn on radio watch and trooped the lines between 0100 and 0400.  Everyone dug their own holes.  

I would hope it makes a comeback, along with the other sorts of things.  In my experience noone really likes discipline, but troopers took pride and would show ownership of field discipline if there was a point to it.  Sometimes one unit would ruck by another and there would be eyeballing and sizing each other up.  Noone really cared about drill, spit and polish.
Link Posted: 10/14/2022 6:09:58 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By Lieh-tzu:

That makes my blood boil more than many things going on over there. This is why I say sanctions on Russia can't end until they've had a national census overseen by international (western) monitors to ensure EVERY kidnapped Ukrainian has the opportunity to go home.

Fuck every Russian who keeps a kidnapped Ukrainian kid, even if they are orphans.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Lieh-tzu:

That makes my blood boil more than many things going on over there. This is why I say sanctions on Russia can't end until they've had a national census overseen by international (western) monitors to ensure EVERY kidnapped Ukrainian has the opportunity to go home.

Fuck every Russian who keeps a kidnapped Ukrainian kid, even if they are orphans.

Ive watched that video several times. It does not look like kids being displaced and being handed to completely new parents.
Link Posted: 10/14/2022 6:17:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: sq40] [#32]
NATO warns Russia not to use nuclear weapons | DW News

Russia is estimated to have 2,000 Tactical Nuclear Iskander warheads?
Link Posted: 10/14/2022 6:19:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Zam18th] [#33]
Originally Posted By CenterMass762:

That sounds like a plausible reason.
View Quote

It absolutely is. I follow SpaceX very closely and this is a real concern. A few things to consider...

-They have said it's costing them $80-100 million to keep Ukraine online. This is not only for the terminals and service but they're devoting high value resources to fending off almost daily jamming and hacking attempts.
-The Starlink program is suffering due to delays in getting Starship up and running. It is the only vehicle that can launch version 2 of Starlink satellites and they are counting on it to reduce their losses. It's a very costly delay and and was part of the reason for bankruptcy concerns raised last Winter.
-The gov just reneged on a $900 million rural internet grant for Starlink.

When you think about it, it's pretty shitty that they aren't being compensated when you consider the above and that they are likely saving the taxpayers billions on the ISS and lunar lander contracts.

Link Posted: 10/14/2022 6:23:40 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By torstin:

How does Poland pay for their defense? I may be out of touch with Eastern Europe but I can't name a single Polish company, or product produced in Poland or even a resource they might export.

View Quote

They make quality rifles.

Link Posted: 10/14/2022 6:25:54 AM EDT
[#35]
View Quote

Russia must have got word to him that it’s going to do something to him and his kids.  

SpaceX already killed the Russian manned space monopoly, and now the pro Ukraine actions had a major impact.

After this is all over, and Putin’s regime is gone, the truth will come out.
Link Posted: 10/14/2022 6:36:06 AM EDT
[#36]

In the Big Army up to about 2005, it was informally considered one of those ways you could tell a good unit from the bad. Im talking out in the field, training.  Good units roadmarched everywhere, got in little triangle shaped perimeters about 1800, dug little hasty prone positions about 18 inches down, and did stand to, where 1/2 hour before sunrise you are at 100% security, ruck packed, pulling security.

Bad units rode in trucks, slept in, and their patrol bases looked like gypsy camps, hootched up 24/7.  Bad units were about twice as good as the Russians.  You can tell some of these Ukrainians have excellent field discipline. Hunter or hunted types of indicators.  The Brits, when I worked with them, had outstanding field discipline.  The USMC did as well.

These were all the sorts of little useless things that we all incorporated as to "field discipline."  There was a period of time when young guys had no combat experience and old guys were Vietnam vets, and to be honest there was a strong crossover between Ranger school, things guys did in Vietnam, and the sorts of things a CSM might be looking for when he eyeballs your perimeter.

A lot of leaders were light on garrison discipline, like spitshining boots and barracks inspection, but a good trooper dug in and pulled security, and was up at stand to.  A good LT took his turn on radio watch and trooped the lines between 0100 and 0400.  Everyone dug their own holes.  

I would hope it makes a comeback, along with the other sorts of things.  In my experience noone really likes discipline, but troopers took pride and would show ownership of field discipline if there was a point to it.  Sometimes one unit would ruck by another and there would be eyeballing and sizing each other up.  Noone really cared about drill, spit and polish.
View Quote

Thanks for this, and other recent posts you’ve made.  It’s a reminder what leadership is and what that reality means, and how fights are won.  It’s a lot of things.  I’ve been disappointed in the thread a few days because of the low signal/noise ratio; this bumps it up.
Link Posted: 10/14/2022 6:45:24 AM EDT
[#37]

View All Quotes

Yes and yes. Makes sense for a country that’s unlikely to deploy by air.
Link Posted: 10/14/2022 6:48:19 AM EDT
[#38]

Link Posted: 10/14/2022 6:54:01 AM EDT
[#39]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Capta:

It makes sense to wonder if Poland is doing a shadow buy for Ukrane.  Poland gets 300, Ukraine gets 200.  With transfer of production technology there will be no way to prevent such a deal by political means.

Germany and the EU.

Poland is getting billions every year from other states.

Link Posted: 10/14/2022 7:02:26 AM EDT
[#40]

View Quote

They made the pcv valve cover for my car.....

Other than that...
Link Posted: 10/14/2022 7:31:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ryandushku] [#41]
Originally Posted By GySgt_D:

They made the pcv valve cover for my car.....

Other than that...
View Quote
Ha, I was just about to say that. GM 1.4L?
Link Posted: 10/14/2022 7:33:03 AM EDT
[#42]
Russian river crossing in Kherson.

Link Posted: 10/14/2022 7:40:28 AM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By Banditman:

how is this costing that much after the Satellites are in orbit and infrastructure is in place?  
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Banditman:
Originally Posted By Birddog15:
Originally Posted By mercersfinest4:

In all fairness, why would SpaceX, a private enterprise, be expected to provide free equipment and service in UKR?

None of our defense contractors are providing free arms.

The government should be picking up the tab for this.
Good point.

Musk has pissed me off a bit lately, but he has done more than his share to help, too.  

how is this costing that much after the Satellites are in orbit and infrastructure is in place?  
The satellites aren't 'free' just because they've been launched.

SpaceX paid for the booster
SpaceX paid for the satellites: design, testing, build, licensing
SpaceX is paying to maintain the software and ground infrastructure
SpaceX is paying for the control center and staff

It's a huge sunk cost that needs to be repaid. For the non-UKR satellites, that cost is being paid for/recouped by end user subscription fees.

m
Link Posted: 10/14/2022 7:49:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: LurkerII] [#44]
Originally Posted By warp_foo:
The satellites aren't 'free' just because they've been launched.

SpaceX paid for the booster
SpaceX paid for the satellites: design, testing, build, licensing
SpaceX is paying to maintain the software and ground infrastructure
SpaceX is paying for the control center and staff

It's a huge sunk cost that needs to be repaid. For the non-UKR satellites, that cost is being paid for/recouped by end user subscription fees.

m
View Quote

And the bandwidth of the entire system is not unlimited. One Ukrainian user means one less paid subscriber can use the system.
One more potential subscriber on the waiting list...waiting.
Its a huge investment, nothing is "free".
Link Posted: 10/14/2022 8:08:03 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 10/14/2022 8:09:12 AM EDT
[#46]

View All Quotes

The USMC teaches SAFE, Security, Automatic Weapon placement, Fields of Fire, Entrenchment (also jokingly known as sleep and fucking eat)  as the priority of work when you establish a position.
Link Posted: 10/14/2022 8:10:22 AM EDT
[#47]

View All Quotes

The MFOM has become an unofficial NATO interface standard.
Link Posted: 10/14/2022 8:11:36 AM EDT
[#48]

Yeah, those rash guys seem to have had a bad day too t.me/operativnoZSU/… #всрф #роа #потерьнет #RussianUkrainianWar
Link Posted: 10/14/2022 8:16:18 AM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By Star_Scream:

I do like our European allies and Asian allies making in roads.

Sucks we miss out on the money but increases interoperability and makes China think
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Star_Scream:

I do like our European allies and Asian allies making in roads.

Sucks we miss out on the money but increases interoperability and makes China think

- and there is the silver lining to US funding the Ukrainian meat-grinder.

Successive administrations (R and D alike) tout “pivot to Asia” - because our military, the intelligence community, and the state dept. all understood the threat posed by a strengthening China.

Unifying the EU/US response with support from our Asian friends in that region (South Korea, Japan, etc) should give China pause.
Link Posted: 10/14/2022 8:22:53 AM EDT
[#50]
This is refreshing.

'Ashamed': Russians Fleeing Mobilization Talk About The War On Ukraine
Page / 5591
OFFICIAL Russo-Ukrainian War (Page 2815 of 5591)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top