Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

OFFICIAL Russo-Ukrainian War (Page 3460 of 5592)
Page / 5592
You Must Be Logged In To Vote

Link Posted: 2/6/2023 9:59:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

Holy shit.  Although we aren’t seeing locations posted, I bet a lot of the recent videos are Ukrainians cleaning up survivors of the recent failed attacks on Vuhledar.  I bet that’s a bunch of infantry from one of the BMPs that we saw the aftermath of in some other videos.
Link Posted: 2/6/2023 9:59:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: gentlemanfarmer] [#2]
Originally Posted By Freiheit8472:

Wow, trapshooter-that was THEE perfect response. Words couldn’t communicate that.

Gfarmer is slowly becoming that guy you know that eats nails and non chalantly mentions shooting a guy in Reno, just to watch him die.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Freiheit8472:
Originally Posted By gentlemanfarmer:
Originally Posted By trapsh00ter99:
https://i.imgur.com/InTc2VL.gif

Welcome back

I just imagine what it would have looked like had I not had a surgeon who happened to be a Ukrainian minuteman with an Ak. When I say that a crossection of infantry may include brain surgeons and particle physics professors soldiers welders I’m not kidding. I’m just glad my wife likes scars and I went fully prepared. I joke but when I lived in Ukraine, hospitals were byob. Luckily I foresaw the possible need for sutures.or it would have been dental floss or something. Guy did a fantastic job. Unfortunately I was a little dazed, I can’t remember his name.

Wow, trapshooter-that was THEE perfect response. Words couldn’t communicate that.

Gfarmer is slowly becoming that guy you know that eats nails and non chalantly mentions shooting a guy in Reno, just to watch him die.

Man it looks worse than it was. I thought my eye was out because I couldn’t see. That’s all, I just remember thinking well fuck I’m a pirate now. But it was just a bleeder. I was later pissed because I found out the headache wasn’t from that but covid. And I had a vial of lidocaine but I smashed it in my pack and cut my finger looking for it so it wasn’t fun but I held my tongue because dudes there had it real bad and I gave my ampule of good stuff to them. The other funny thing is I’m like the eye pro Nazi and not everyone there gave a happy shit. I was like ochki optici but thought we’ll fuck there right again saftey sally looses his eye, slavo gets an rpg blast to the face and blinks it off.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/6/2023 10:00:30 PM EDT
[#3]

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/419667/A96A8C19-C32C-48CB-B00E-96C7060ED14D_jpe-2701159.JPG

Couldn’t have said it better myself. Now if we could just quietly ship a couple dozen toads, AAPV-7 and a few mk v. or other riverine boat with some bang.

Like I’ve said if you can put Sebastopol under fire, the war looses its luster quickly. Sebastopol under fire may even make Crimea an island, the soviets delved too deep and greedily there. Lots of bang in them old bunkers.
View Quote

Glad you're back.
Link Posted: 2/6/2023 10:00:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By trapsh00ter99:
Yup. How many times did we hear "it would take to long to train them on ___________". Well, that could have all been completed by now if you started back then.
View Quote

We did it right in this thread, like 3300 pages ago? "We should send F16s!" "No, it would take too long to train them up, even an experienced fighter pilot would take months to a year to get proficient at the new platform."

Well...

And to reiterate the "shoulda" case, if I were President, there would have been Ukrainian air & ground crews getting F16 training starting literally over a year ago. Shrug.
Link Posted: 2/6/2023 10:04:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By m35ben:
Where were the ground guides?
View Quote

Heh.

MSC says:
Link Posted: 2/6/2023 10:04:51 PM EDT
[#6]

What a cool freaking pic!
Link Posted: 2/6/2023 10:04:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By SoCalExile:
View Quote

That is old video. Arc Integrity just left Southampton, UK in route to Antwerpen, Belgium.

https://www.vesselfinder.com/vessels/details/9332949
Link Posted: 2/6/2023 10:05:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: sq40] [#8]
Originally Posted By 2A373:

Where did you get that from?

They have lost 32000 since right before Christmas. That would mean they have advanced 3 miles using your claim. Where did this advancement occur?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 2A373:
Originally Posted By sq40:
Losses around Bahkmut… the life of a Russian soldier buys them a single gain of about 6” each. Two lives to take a foot.

Where did you get that from?

They have lost 32000 since right before Christmas. That would mean they have advanced 3 miles using your claim. Where did this advancement occur?

Just a guestimate on my part looking at the maps, nothing more.

Link Posted: 2/6/2023 10:08:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: gentlemanfarmer] [#9]
Originally Posted By Lieh-tzu:

We did it right in this thread, like 3300 pages ago? "We should send F16s!" "No, it would take too long to train them up, even an experienced fighter pilot would take months to a year to get proficient at the new platform."

Well...

And to reiterate the "shoulda" case, if I were President, there would have been Ukrainian air & ground crews getting F16 training starting literally over a year ago. Shrug.
View Quote

I even sought a veteran marine fighter pilot instructor to ask how long a mig 29 to f16 training would take. He said that since they were single role pilots 3 months could be done, he also flew with East German dudes back in the late 90’s so he knew what it meant. He got to ride or fly a sukoi or something at some point. 3 months hard going to get a fully specked m29 pilot to a survivable mission capable level. He flew tiger 2es and harriers primarily and whatever that two engine trainer tb6 or whatever they are.
Link Posted: 2/6/2023 10:10:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ContraHQ] [#10]
Sorry if a repost, but here is a link to Go Pro footage from English speaking forces fighting for Ukraine. Several more related videos available from the same source.

Combat GoPro - Wiping Out Russian Spetsnaz Team in CQB

ETA: Lots of classic M4's with KAC rails, grip pron
Link Posted: 2/6/2023 10:12:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Jack67:
There are two different ways to get back all the Ukrainian territory. One is fighting for every inch of it. The other is taking Crimea and leveraging a withdrawal from the mainland occupied territory.   Taking Crimea first may short-circuit the need to fight bodily and bloodily through Lukansk and Donetsk.  It has a strategic value of outsize proportion because of Russia’s European trade routes.  Crimea is to Russian Black Sea trade as the UK is to northern European ports - you cannot have an Atlantic trade if UK is hostile to you.  In the missile age, Russia can’t use its most valuable port if a hostile power holds Crimea.

1/3 to 1/2 of all European Russia’s sea trade goes through ports controlled by Crimea - mostly Novorossiysk on the mainland coast, not through the Don River (Rostov) - though that is important, also.  Possession of Crimea can reduce that to near-zero.  Ukraine doesn’t have to launch an Iran-style war on neutral shipping, necessarily. They just have to damage a few Russian-flagged vessels once they have Crimea and commercial shipping will cease on its own.  Russia simply cannot allow that to happen - it’s an absolutely existential threat.

Another strong point is that Crimea is much more conducive to maneuver warfare topographically. It also has the advantage of having a sea flank as the front advances for security, vs getting deeper into a cauldron with risky flanks in Luhansk, etc.  This isn’t a certain strategy, but it’s an option if the Perekop Isthmus can be managed.
View Quote

And if Crimea is existential, wouldn't that generate vastly greater effort and war support from Russia, making it much harder to take it?

I agree with the approach of cutting off Crimea and forcing them to rely on solely ferry and air resupply. But even that limited supply access isn't enough to starve them out or eliminate their ability to continue the fight. I also agree that putting Crimea under direct attack is going to reduce Russia's capacity to support other fronts. Would the DPR find themselves unsupported if Crimea were under imminent threat?
Link Posted: 2/6/2023 10:13:51 PM EDT
[#12]

Also we need to make sure they get the correct ammo. Israel is out. I’d assume someone somewhere has good 105mm rounds. Like I said before, tankers generally load up on the HE and heat rounds. What we’ve seen at least with the 125mm hits is that an He round will neutralize the tank, and more importantly the infantry salted everywhere in hides holes with rpg-22 and rpg-26s. I’d want some hesh or flechette rounds in my nato supplied tank.
View All Quotes

I started looking into that the other day.  Not an expert but read the following:

TL,DR: 105mm development stopped, in most places,  in the early 90s; but by then could get performance on par with early 120mm ammo.  Wide variety out there.

There were plenty of different sabot rounds developed for it.  Technology relatively current to present 120mm ammo, just lacking in power factor and evolutionary tweaks made since those days. Should be more than adequate.  The Israelis continued developing rounds into the early/mid ‘00s. A pretty comprehensive list of rounds developed of all types is here:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/105%C3%97617mmR#Ammunition

A while back I read a fair bit about tank-on-tank in DS and 2003, particular eye to ammo performance.  One thing that stuck out to me was the number of through-and-through hits with 120mm DU.  Here’s a link to the current GD 105mm tungsten round:

https://www.gd-ots.com/munitions/large-caliber-ammunition/105mm-c76a1/

It’s using a penetrator 80% the weight of the 120mm penetrator. Let’s assume the same V.  It’s likely going to be more than adequate, and have similar performance vs ERA (e.g., it will be defeated at a similar rate, where defeated).  This is the updated version of the “FP105” round listed in the first link, btw.  In general, it’s not going to be the gun/ammo in a 1A5 that is a limit, it will be the FCS and turret stabilization, etc.

Also we need to make sure they get the correct ammo. Israel is out. I’d assume someone somewhere has good 105mm rounds. Like I said before, tankers generally load up on the HE and heat rounds. What we’ve seen at least with the 125mm hits is that an He round will neutralize the tank, and more importantly the infantry salted everywhere in hides holes with rpg-22 and rpg-26s. I’d want some hesh or flechette rounds in my nato supplied tank.

Welcome back!
Link Posted: 2/6/2023 10:16:12 PM EDT
[#13]

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/419667/A96A8C19-C32C-48CB-B00E-96C7060ED14D_jpe-2701159.JPG

Couldn’t have said it better myself. Now if we could just quietly ship a couple dozen toads, AAPV-7 and a few mk v. or other riverine boat with some bang.

Like I’ve said if you can put Sebastopol under fire, the war looses its luster quickly. Sebastopol under fire may even make Crimea an island, the soviets delved too deep and greedily there. Lots of bang in them old bunkers.
View Quote

Hell yeah! Welcome back!
Link Posted: 2/6/2023 10:17:36 PM EDT
[#14]
"The Armed Forces of Ukraine continue their exercises on the border with the Republic of Belarus, this time they are taking place in the Chernobyl exclusion zone."

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/6/2023 10:21:22 PM EDT
[#15]
"Ukrainian T-64BM1M with dynamic protection "Doublet" somewhere on the front line.

This version was created under a contract with the Republic of the Congo, and in order to reduce the cost, the tank was deprived of a thermal imager and guided missiles. The contract in 2014 was terminated and the tanks were sent to participate in the fighting in the southeast."

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/6/2023 10:21:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Dracster:
"Illegally sold weapons: a criminal gang was exposed in Odessa

The investigation found that the three men had organized the illegal sale of weapons and ammunition. They kept the entire "range" at the home of one of their comrades.

The police documented the sale of two Kalashnikov assault rifles and cartridges for 150,000 hryvnias. The indictment against the two defendants was sent to court. The third was put on the wanted list."

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/48680/photo_2023-02-06_14-18-10_jpg-2701179.JPG
View Quote

That's about $4072.19.  How much ammo do you reckon was included with that deal?
Link Posted: 2/6/2023 10:31:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Ligore:

I agree, that would make a huge difference.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Ligore:
Originally Posted By Dominion21:
The same well-intentioned anti-mine groups are the ones blocking the use of cluster munitions by the Ukrainian army. 2 problems:

- Russia ignores international norms, agreements, and treaties by using whatever weapon they want in Ukraine (short of bio/chem - that we know of), and

- Ukraine’s smaller recruit pool desperately needs cluster munitions against the current Russian human wave attacks.  I believe Putin wants all the prison inmate “volunteers” to die.  He is just using them to deplete Ukrainian ammo supplies.

But when the next Russian offensive is launched, Ukraine should have every option available to stop it; especially as it’s likely to be actual Rus military soldiers.  

Let Ukraine take off the gloves by giving them cluster munitions.

I agree, that would make a huge difference.

IIRC, one of the things that the US "helped" Ukraine do in the early post-Soviet years was to get rid of nasty weapons like cluster munitions, air-launch missiles, and many more things that would have been incredibly useful to have around now. There are photos of Senators Lugar and Obama inspecting weapons stocks in Ukraine in the 90s. The US government expanded the threat reduction act to "help" Ukraine eliminate lots more weapons besides the nukes.
Link Posted: 2/6/2023 10:33:49 PM EDT
[#18]
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/6/2023 10:42:50 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By ContraHQ:
Sorry if a repost, but here is a link to Go Pro footage from English speaking forces fighting for Ukraine. Several more related videos available from the same source.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQeyk1BQ7LE
View Quote

A got the story on the FL polish shitbird guy. There is truth and some of the common western volunteer issues there. Guy is shitcanned or will be but I can’t comment on specifics for a few weeks or so at least. Bottom line he was dirty but not not as bad as it sounds by WW3 standards but yes bad leadership in that one unit.

My previous comments about the crying and awol gwot guys referred to the dudes who ran after a few days or weeks or maybe month or two. They were not all Americans actually quiet a few were from other European places but plenty of Yanks. Many went awol with guns/armor etc after signing contracts. They also were responsible for getting a large cadre of very good English speaking officers killed by twittering and live-streaming their badasses on the gram. The Russians hit the leadership barracks mostly and hence the mass desertion, lack of leadership, etc. many Ukrainians heard about the attack, the speculated reason, the mass dissertion, with guns/armor ammo etc. and what do you expect. It did not foster a great environment of trust. It’s easy to get paranoid when you are under the command of someone you don’t understand, don’t trust, and you have high expectations (that will be let down) because it was France 1940. The Germans didn’t smash the maginot line, the went through neutral territory. Add the fact that at least a couple of the volunteers were double agents, spreading dissinformation like cannon fodder, you blokes are being sent to die rheeee. I give credit to the dudes who stayed the course and just trusted in god, that’s all you got. Your word is bond so the running men can say whatever, the reality is something else. You say yes means yes. No means no, follow that principle and life will probably work out for you as planned. Being a malingerer or spreading dissinformation, you might as well have helped the Russians.  No one was cannon fodder. Yaroviv had the best trained cadre outside of the Donbass. That’s where training to nato standards was done. The loss of SSGs and officers on the UA side was massive, they were giving you their best guys. You got the residual after a lot of good ones got vaporized.

I say all this having been steered away from the FL from the start. I’m not in comms with them, and it’s all through assorted friends in Ukrainian units that have worked with some of the Eastern European/Eurasian parts of FL or had friends attached there.  I say this (having been nearbye during the great panick it wasn’t pretty) and at least having enough language and friends in UA and experience living there to go native. So my perspective is biased towards the UA guys. To be clear there are effective badass FL units but their is what 5k now and like 35k in total joined. Casualties are much less as a whole than in most UA units. Out of those 35k I think 300 or so max have been 200/300 (just a guess). It’s a shame because they could have been so much more if they’d just not had cell phones pinging, and used common sense in a war zone with ballistic missiles. I’m not sleeping in a building filled with soldiers there, ever ever. I would have gone outside and dug myself a worm hole to sleep in at Yaroviv. No way I’d have sat around shooting the shit in mass like that. No one prevented them from doing that.  That place has building no one knows about. Let so and so know we’re going to sleep in the ammo bunkers or whatever, be here at 0600. No they clumped up and live streamed and called mom. Call mom before you go into barracks in war. Common sense. Anyway rant over. We can move on from that, and I salute the fallen from all nations.
Link Posted: 2/6/2023 10:50:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: gentlemanfarmer] [#20]

And if Crimea is existential, wouldn't that generate vastly greater effort and war support from Russia, making it much harder to take it?

I agree with the approach of cutting off Crimea and forcing them to rely on solely ferry and air resupply. But even that limited supply access isn't enough to starve them out or eliminate their ability to continue the fight. I also agree that putting Crimea under direct attack is going to reduce Russia's capacity to support other fronts. Would the DPR find themselves unsupported if Crimea were under imminent threat?
View Quote

Don’t listen to what Russia says. Do what makes sense. They have 1.5 tenuous routes of supply to a dry barren rock with an indigenous population that hates them. They can’t do but so much. Crimea is like the mountains of Kurdistan or something. Little water, 100% dependence on supply from Russia. The Kerch bridge can’t do it now. The road from mauripol is not a good supply route especially if you get into himars range of Henichesk. It’s not defendable long term. It is however a platform to control the Black Sea. It’s critical to Ukraines survival or Russia will just shut down commerce and strangle the country.

The reason why it was “given” by the supreme soviet was because of cost. The cost of maintaining it was high and Ukraine provided energy, water, and infrastructure there. It was also to atone for the Stalinist genocides, a peace offering. Making that place inhabitable for more than a few hundred thousand is expensive. If Ukraine can put henichesk and Sabastopol under fires of some type the whole war changes. Donbass will wither.
Link Posted: 2/6/2023 10:50:50 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Capta:

Welcome back!
View Quote

Thank you
Link Posted: 2/6/2023 10:54:49 PM EDT
[#22]
"The Armed Forces of Ukraine continue their exercises on the border with the Republic of Belarus, this time they are taking place in the Chernobyl exclusion zone."

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/48680/photo_2023-02-06_13-42-39_jpg-2701282.JPG

Attachment Attached File

View Quote

ZOMFG!!!!!!!

Look! IT's right in front of you!!! Ukrainians are FUCKING NAZIS!!!111!!!!11!1!!!

[sarcasm, folks, sarcasm]
Link Posted: 2/6/2023 10:55:11 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By DPeacher:

That's about $4072.19.  How much ammo do you reckon was included with that deal?
View All Quotes

The investigation found that the three men had organized the illegal sale of weapons and ammunition. They kept the entire "range" at the home of one of their comrades.

The police documented the sale of two Kalashnikov assault rifles and cartridges for 150,000 hryvnias. The indictment against the two defendants was sent to court. The third was put on the wanted list."

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/48680/photo_2023-02-06_14-18-10_jpg-2701179.JPG

2aks mags and a couple cans of 7n6 I’d guess. Aks are cheap but it would depend on the buyer. A ambulance driver or volunteer could get one for free but for criminals I don’t know. I remember hearing an ak74 and some ammo could be had for 500$ at one time. Aks are everywhere.  It’s the other stuff that’s  troubling. That stuff should be in Bhakmut.
Link Posted: 2/6/2023 11:07:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: gentlemanfarmer] [#24]

ZOMFG!!!!!!!

Look! IT's right in front of you!!! Ukrainians are FUCKING NAZIS!!!111!!!!11!1!!!

.the

[sarcasm, folks, sarcasm]
View Quote

Ukrainians love to troll. Insert the t64 driver doing the Adolfo rant video. It’s a great way to show how stupid Russians are. They’ll probably say video is of German panzer grenadere waffen SS on TV aiming for Minsk.

Minsk, that’s the other paradigm shift that could change the war. Hmm a country that controls access to Kaliningrad, with almost no real defense, a population 80% against the leader, 50-100 thousand political prisoners, a golden opportunity that we are missing.

Every year that Minsk stays under Ruzz occupation is another year of brutal filtration, in essence we allow the blood vessel feeding a major tumor in europes body years of safe space. Bring back 80s diplomacy. Green light a liberation. Stir some shit up there solve three problems at once.

Ie get Belorussia under new popular leadership and Putins problems triple. He’d have to divert forces or give it up. He can’t do Ukraine by itself, stir up issues in its periphery that jeopardize Kaliningrad, Chechnya, Belorussia, Crimea and Ukraine will take a back seat which means victory on all fronts. Putin loosing any of those would pull down the strongman image, possibly red pill the Russian people and leadership.

Anyway, good night.
Link Posted: 2/6/2023 11:08:37 PM EDT
[#25]
Welcome back present- whack ass Russians

https://t.me/newspn/50147
Link Posted: 2/6/2023 11:19:00 PM EDT
[#26]

Washington hands leopards right? I get it. Absurdity all around. Us troops fighting with waffen ss panzergranadiers or American mercenaries driving Nazi German tanks from fascist Spain. What will the ubermenschen do next? Luxembourgian panzerfaust 3 in the hands of Polish Nazi hussars.
Link Posted: 2/6/2023 11:26:00 PM EDT
[#27]

Holy shit.  Although we aren’t seeing locations posted, I bet a lot of the recent videos are Ukrainians cleaning up survivors of the recent failed attacks on Vuhledar.  I bet that’s a bunch of infantry from one of the BMPs that we saw the aftermath of in some other videos.
View All Quotes

Yeah I heard they whipped em good in the south. It’s been expected. They swatted a hornets nest. Bhakmut unfortunately is the hard place. Man Wagners almost spent. We should be morally obligated to bomb the shit out of that organization starting in African, Syria, and Bhakmut. Just launch a 100 cruise missiles spread appropriately across their AOs. No one would cry except Assad and some African despots. The support element vdv and Khadyrovite  are also on the ropes but they have artillery and partially trained mobiks to feed in. It’s worse now and I didn’t think it got worse than what was happening a month ago.
Link Posted: 2/6/2023 11:30:52 PM EDT
[#28]

View All Quotes
There are two different ways to get back all the Ukrainian territory. One is fighting for every inch of it. The other is taking Crimea and leveraging a withdrawal from the mainland occupied territory.   Taking Crimea first may short-circuit the need to fight bodily and bloodily through Lukansk and Donetsk.  It has a strategic value of outsize proportion because of Russia’s European trade routes.  Crimea is to Russian Black Sea trade as the UK is to northern European ports - you cannot have an Atlantic trade if UK is hostile to you.  In the missile age, Russia can’t use its most valuable port if a hostile power holds Crimea.

1/3 to 1/2 of all European Russia’s sea trade goes through ports controlled by Crimea - mostly Novorossiysk on the mainland coast, not through the Don River (Rostov) - though that is important, also.  Possession of Crimea can reduce that to near-zero.  Ukraine doesn’t have to launch an Iran-style war on neutral shipping, necessarily. They just have to damage a few Russian-flagged vessels once they have Crimea and commercial shipping will cease on its own.  Russia simply cannot allow that to happen - it’s an absolutely existential threat.

Another strong point is that Crimea is much more conducive to maneuver warfare topographically. It also has the advantage of having a sea flank as the front advances for security, vs getting deeper into a cauldron with risky flanks in Luhansk, etc.  This isn’t a certain strategy, but it’s an option if the Perekop Isthmus can be managed.

They’re doing everything they can except throw the internal security brutes and police from Russia in. They can’t sustain any more soldiers there especially in contact. They might shift some forces but that would take weeks. If UA can get Sabastopol under fire and put pressure towards Tokmak it would fold. It’s doable but no marine otb stuff so not possible with weapons now.
Link Posted: 2/6/2023 11:32:15 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By SoCalExile:
View Quote

It looks like she is due in Antwerp tomorrow.

https://www.vesselfinder.com/vessels/details/9332949
Link Posted: 2/6/2023 11:41:15 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By klinc:

Goes to war... Drowns in a shallow creek.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By AlmightyTallest:
Videos are brutal today.

Russian literally drowns in shallow water after a drone grenade strike.

Ok . . . that's a really rough one.  Holy shit what a horrible way to die.
Link Posted: 2/6/2023 11:43:01 PM EDT
[#31]
Ukrainians love to troll. Insert the t64 driver doing the Adolfo rant video. It’s a great way to show how stupid Russians are. They’ll probably say video is of German panzer grenadere waffen SS on TV aiming for Minsk.

Minsk, that’s the other paradigm shift that could change the war. Hmm a country that controls access to Kaliningrad, with almost no real defense, a population 80% against the leader, 50-100 thousand political prisoners, a golden opportunity that we are missing.

Every year that Minsk stays under Ruzz occupation is another year of brutal filtration, in essence we allow the blood vessel feeding a major tumor in europes body years of safe space. Bring back 80s diplomacy. Green light a liberation. Stir some shit up there solve three problems at once.

Ie get Belorussia under new popular leadership and Putins problems triple. He’d have to divert forces or give it up. He can’t do Ukraine by itself, stir up issues in its periphery that jeopardize Kaliningrad, Chechnya, Belorussia, Crimea and Ukraine will take a back seat which means victory on all fronts. Putin loosing any of those would pull down the strongman image, possibly red pill the Russian people and leadership.

Anyway, good night.
View Quote

It would be nice if the supposedly omnipotent CIA could pull of a little popular uprising in Minsk. That also might be enough to end or greatly reduce Russia's capacity for foreign militarist adventures.
Link Posted: 2/6/2023 11:46:35 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By _disconnector_:
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By _disconnector_:
Videos are brutal today.

Russian literally drowns in shallow water after a drone grenade strike.

I don't think he had any awareness at that point. The thrashing seemed purely reflexive, there was no apparent effort to accomplish anything at all. I think it was already dark in the brain.
Link Posted: 2/7/2023 12:15:40 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 2/7/2023 12:19:12 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 2/7/2023 12:36:30 AM EDT
[#35]

You be thankful your enemy doesn't have air superiority either while you have long range fires and can do maneuver at night.

We've seen Russian lines break very suddenly and retreat in panic in some instances.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By johnh57:
Originally Posted By MFP_4073:

sadly i don't believe Ukraine has the command and control capability to coordinate a large assault like that.   perhaps i'm wrong.  but an 'american style' breakthrough using the equivalent of 4 to 6 'full strength' Brigade teams is outside their capability.  and then on top of that the ability to coordinate their effective movements / logistics.  

i was reviewing the numbers of what Ukraine had at the beginning of this war and subtracting out the 'combat losses' from the Oryx site and it doesn't look promising.  granted that's hard because the numbers vary so widely.  i played around with a mock penetration attack of ~50 miles (similar to our thunder Run to Baghdad) to divide the Russian front with a spear point down to Mariupol.  cut off the entire front into two pieces.  i could not find a way to make that happen successfully with no air support, helicopters, ADA etc.

i am very pro-Ukraine in mindset -- but the best at this point i'm thinking is 'localized' wins through attrition largely related to Russia's horrendous tactics.   just grinding casualties.

not trying to be a defeatist.  Ukraine has performed extremely well to blunt the invasion.   but holding that line with heavy casualties while simultaneously amassing the combat power for a major counter-offensive?  with no air support?   its obvious why Zelensky has asked for 300+ M1s and Bradleys.

Additionally, how do you do major tank offensive operations without clear air superiority?

You be thankful your enemy doesn't have air superiority either while you have long range fires and can do maneuver at night.

We've seen Russian lines break very suddenly and retreat in panic in some instances.

We have, particularly in Kharkiv. It should be mentioned, though, that Kharkiv was kind of a perfect storm for Ukraine. Russian forces were spread far too thin as a result of shifting troops to defend Kherson, the Russians apparently weren't defending in depth, etc. None of that is going to be true in the south and the remaining parts of Donbas that Ukraine still has to retake. The Russians have had quite a bit of time to dig in, they have less ground to defend overall thus enabling them to mass forces easier, and they have much more manpower at their disposal thanks to mobilization. All of that makes something like the Kharkiv offensive significantly more difficult for Ukraine to pull off again.

They really need units trained up in combined arms maneuver warfare. That's how they're going to win this war, not through attrition over a long period of time. That shipped sailed once Putin committed to mobilization.
Link Posted: 2/7/2023 12:47:55 AM EDT
[#36]

Universally this is what guys at the front want. They say shit on suicide drones. Great on minimizing collateral but they expected a little more bang for the buck. Reality is that 1 asegai round or similar can be more effective than 3 155 rounds. DPCM would be a game changer but I don’t see it happening. We destroyed 60% of our stocks. Keep the other 40% for break the fire glass emergencies but we are not making more. The reality is that they need stuff that will cover a hectare in heath not 1000 sf. I hope somebody on high is listening. Exactly what I was referring to. Ukraine lost 300 guys in 3 minutes. 300 of there best from a thermobaric cluster bomb attack. They were in BMPs tanks BTRs etc.. lots more to that story but that happened east of Donetsk after they had successfully cut the rebel/Russian capital. We saw the Ruzz move their hurricanes urugans? up to the border but word was that DC redacted it from intel we were sharing. They were looking at 3-5 day old imagery and assumed they were good. They got clobbered and it wasn’t like they were not digging in etc. it literally sucked the insides out of guys. Talked to a survivor and the fact that he had to retrieve 270 of his buddies with turds sucked out of their mouths. We bear responsibility (Obama Biden) because it was their call. Told Ukraine we’ll provide isr then gave them old shitty intel. Had they been forewarned Donetsk and Strelkov would likely have been Harri Karried.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By theskuh:
Originally Posted By Finslayer83:

I thought we have seen video of use?

Via someone's stocks.

There was a video of some sort of air bursting cluster used against trenches. I think it was something homegrown? I can't remember.

It was a 120mm Israeli cluster mortar round with 24 submunition.

It was that video that convinced me of 2 things:

- the devastating effectiveness cluster munitions could represent in Ukrainian hands, and second:

- ???

(Where did that round come from? Hmmmm. . . ).

I'm certainly not opposed to sending some 155mm Dpicm.

For context (older video; still a devastating round we should be sending to Ukraine)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IroOVamQZHQ

Universally this is what guys at the front want. They say shit on suicide drones. Great on minimizing collateral but they expected a little more bang for the buck. Reality is that 1 asegai round or similar can be more effective than 3 155 rounds. DPCM would be a game changer but I don’t see it happening. We destroyed 60% of our stocks. Keep the other 40% for break the fire glass emergencies but we are not making more. The reality is that they need stuff that will cover a hectare in heath not 1000 sf. I hope somebody on high is listening. Exactly what I was referring to. Ukraine lost 300 guys in 3 minutes. 300 of there best from a thermobaric cluster bomb attack. They were in BMPs tanks BTRs etc.. lots more to that story but that happened east of Donetsk after they had successfully cut the rebel/Russian capital. We saw the Ruzz move their hurricanes urugans? up to the border but word was that DC redacted it from intel we were sharing. They were looking at 3-5 day old imagery and assumed they were good. They got clobbered and it wasn’t like they were not digging in etc. it literally sucked the insides out of guys. Talked to a survivor and the fact that he had to retrieve 270 of his buddies with turds sucked out of their mouths. We bear responsibility (Obama Biden) because it was their call. Told Ukraine we’ll provide isr then gave them old shitty intel. Had they been forewarned Donetsk and Strelkov would likely have been Harri Karried.

Brutal.
Link Posted: 2/7/2023 12:51:21 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By GTLandser:

We should have started back in 2014 with equipment transfers and large-scale training. Guest units rotating through every CTC in NATO countries where we could find the training space. 7-8 years of training like that and they would have had multiple Brigades ready, and this whole thing might have been prevented.

Putin invaded BECAUSE he calculated he could get away with it, and that NATO efforts were insufficient and unserious (and he was partly right about that).
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By GTLandser:

Sad, because you are likely right: 2023 will not see the end of this.  And many more will needlessly die.

We should have given the Ukrainians more aid, and more quickly.

Now the risk is certain western elements will screech for negotiations instead of a decisive route of the Russians.

We should have started back in 2014 with equipment transfers and large-scale training. Guest units rotating through every CTC in NATO countries where we could find the training space. 7-8 years of training like that and they would have had multiple Brigades ready, and this whole thing might have been prevented.

Putin invaded BECAUSE he calculated he could get away with it, and that NATO efforts were insufficient and unserious (and he was partly right about that).

You're right that we should've been doing more post-2014, both in terms of providing weapons and training. Still, though, the training that we and other Western forces provided from 2014-February 2022 is a large reason why Ukraine is still in this fight. We had at least one ODA there, and IIRC, Ukrainian units would do pre-deployment training with Western forces prior to deploying to the Donbas, which culminated in battalion sized exercises. That training built a cadre of experienced, well-trained veterans within the Ukrainian military.
Link Posted: 2/7/2023 12:57:02 AM EDT
[#38]

The same well-intentioned anti-mine groups are the ones blocking the use of cluster munitions by the Ukrainian army. 2 problems:

- Russia ignores international norms, agreements, and treaties by using whatever weapon they want in Ukraine (short of bio/chem - that we know of), and

- Ukraine’s smaller recruit pool desperately needs cluster munitions against the current Russian human wave attacks.  I believe Putin wants all the prison inmate “volunteers” to die.  He is just using them to deplete Ukrainian ammo supplies.

But when the next Russian offensive is launched, Ukraine should have every option available to stop it; especially as it’s likely to be actual Rus military soldiers.  

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By GiggleSmith:
Anybody remember those old Threads about French and Belgium farm fields being filled with unexploded World War I ordnance alone?
Miles and miles of countryside and farmland loaded with unexploded shells, mortar rounds and assorted small arm ammunition both fired and unfired.  There will be several decade-old rounds recovered in the upcoming planting season.
Let's not forget the occasional finding a bomb from Part 2.

I look at the pictures where there are shell craters or evidence of some artillery shell exploding and wonder how many duds are out there.
Back then the dud rate was around 10% per shell or mortar bomb.
Guessing that Modern Fuse Rates are around .01% that is still How Many Duds out there?
How many vehicular and antipersonnel mines are out there
Recall that one man finding buried bodies in the woods, too.

Looking north to the World War II battlefield of Kursk and I just have to ask: Did they ever recover all the mines that were laid back then

They should be receiving cluster munitions by the boatload. They would be a massive force multiplier, they would be very useful in the Donbas against the sort of tactics the Russians are currently employing, and Ukraine is going to have all sorts of issues with UXO, anyway.
Link Posted: 2/7/2023 1:03:56 AM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By stone-age:

People don't want Ukrainian kids stepping on the unexplored bomblets 5 years from now. It sounds like the things become land mines if they don't blow up when they hit. At least that's what I've heard.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By stone-age:
Originally Posted By jungatheart:

This.  WTF

People don't want Ukrainian kids stepping on the unexplored bomblets 5 years from now. It sounds like the things become land mines if they don't blow up when they hit. At least that's what I've heard.

As horrible as that reality is, is that consequence worse than allowing the Russians to occupy Ukrainian land longer (likely committing numerous Buchas), kidnap thousands of Ukrainian children, and potentially take more Ukrainian land? It's a morally tough decision, but many are in wars of national survival like this one. If given the option, I guarantee the Ukrainians would accept cluster munitions.
Link Posted: 2/7/2023 1:09:40 AM EDT
[#40]

There was a video of some sort of air bursting cluster used against trenches. I think it was something homegrown? I can't remember.
View All Quotes

Via someone's stocks.

Israeli mortar round of some sort, IIRC. Who gave it to the Ukrainians is unclear and will likely remain unclear indefinitely.
Link Posted: 2/7/2023 1:27:43 AM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By MelGibsonEnthusiast:

Israeli mortar round of some sort, IIRC. Who gave it to the Ukrainians is unclear and will likely remain unclear indefinitely.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By MelGibsonEnthusiast:

Via someone's stocks.

Hopefully they can get some more of such mortar rounds from unclear sources and in massive but unclear numbers.  Maybe it would finally get some other potential sources to release the cluster munitions they could be offering, like the tank dithering between DE and US.

Also, welcome back gentlemanfarmer !  Glad to hear you're alive and kicking.  Got another donation inbound to your wife's USinUA foundation as well.  (It's actually literal "blood money" from the $50 prepaid gift card the local blood drive gave me for donating a pint.)
Link Posted: 2/7/2023 1:37:04 AM EDT
[#42]

Well...

View Quote
Hindsight being 20/20 yes, they could be decent with the f16 by now but realistically I'm not sure how much effect a few squadrons would really have.  In a SAM rich environment surface launched missiles are probably many times more cost effective.  They can't circle the battlefield like we could in Afghanistan and plant a jdam on demand.  They would just be a manned, very expensive way to strike deep targets but if we wanted go give ukraine that capability would just provide atacms or loan a sub and let them flip the tomahawk button a few times.  I think it comes down to washington not wanting to provoke the Russians further but I would give my left nut to see a strike on the may day parade.
Link Posted: 2/7/2023 1:42:05 AM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By Infantry26:
Hindsight being 20/20 yes, they could be decent with the f16 by now but realistically I'm not sure how much effect a few squadrons would really have.  In a SAM rich environment surface launched missiles are probably many times more cost effective.  They can't circle the battlefield like we could in Afghanistan and plant a jdam on demand.  They would just be a manned, very expensive way to strike deep targets but if we wanted go give ukraine that capability would just provide atacms or loan a sub and let them flip the tomahawk button a few times.  I think it comes down to washington not wanting to provoke the Russians further but I would give my left nut to see a strike on the may day parade.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Infantry26:

Well...

ATACMS, GLSDB, and more HIMARS would do much more good than F16s at the moment, IMO. That being said, they're going to have to switch to Western aircraft eventually, so might as well do it as soon as possible.
Link Posted: 2/7/2023 2:35:07 AM EDT
[#44]

A got the story on the FL polish shitbird guy. There is truth and some of the common western volunteer issues there. Guy is shitcanned or will be but I can't comment on specifics for a few weeks or so at least. Bottom line he was dirty but not not as bad as it sounds by WW3 standards but yes bad leadership in that one unit.

My previous comments about the crying and awol gwot guys referred to the dudes who ran after a few days or weeks or maybe month or two. They were not all Americans actually quiet a few were from other European places but plenty of Yanks. Many went awol with guns/armor etc after signing contracts. They also were responsible for getting a large cadre of very good English speaking officers killed by twittering and live-streaming their badasses on the gram. The Russians hit the leadership barracks mostly and hence the mass desertion, lack of leadership, etc. many Ukrainians heard about the attack, the speculated reason, the mass dissertion, with guns/armor ammo etc. and what do you expect. It did not foster a great environment of trust. It's easy to get paranoid when you are under the command of someone you don't understand, don't trust, and you have high expectations (that will be let down) because it was France 1940. The Germans didn't smash the maginot line, the went through neutral territory. Add the fact that at least a couple of the volunteers were double agents, spreading dissinformation like cannon fodder, you blokes are being sent to die rheeee. I give credit to the dudes who stayed the course and just trusted in god, that's all you got. Your word is bond so the running men can say whatever, the reality is something else. You say yes means yes. No means no, follow that principle and life will probably work out for you as planned. Being a malingerer or spreading dissinformation, you might as well have helped the Russians.  No one was cannon fodder. Yaroviv had the best trained cadre outside of the Donbass. That's where training to nato standards was done. The loss of SSGs and officers on the UA side was massive, they were giving you their best guys. You got the residual after a lot of good ones got vaporized.

I say all this having been steered away from the FL from the start. I'm not in comms with them, and it's all through assorted friends in Ukrainian units that have worked with some of the Eastern European/Eurasian parts of FL or had friends attached there.  I say this (having been nearbye during the great panick it wasn't pretty) and at least having enough language and friends in UA and experience living there to go native. So my perspective is biased towards the UA guys. To be clear there are effective badass FL units but their is what 5k now and like 35k in total joined. Casualties are much less as a whole than in most UA units. Out of those 35k I think 300 or so max have been 200/300 (just a guess). It's a shame because they could have been so much more if they'd just not had cell phones pinging, and used common sense in a war zone with ballistic missiles. I'm not sleeping in a building filled with soldiers there, ever ever. I would have gone outside and dug myself a worm hole to sleep in at Yaroviv. No way I'd have sat around shooting the shit in mass like that. No one prevented them from doing that.  That place has building no one knows about. Let so and so know we're going to sleep in the ammo bunkers or whatever, be here at 0600. No they clumped up and live streamed and called mom. Call mom before you go into barracks in war. Common sense. Anyway rant over. We can move on from that, and I salute the fallen from all nations.
View Quote
I think it's pretty obvious that ukraine did not get the best of what the gwot had to offer.  The guys that laid the wood from in places like karbala gap, fallujah and kunar are all like 35-60 years old now.  Nearly all of the foreign legion people I saw on YouTube were pretty clearly too young to have fought in gwot during much of the intense combat.

That said when you're stupid or desperate enough to recruit the tiktok battalions you should consider taking precautions like confiscating phones.  In my experience, the old gwot drill sergeants that did minor things like ensure the destruction of the Iraqi republican guard were smart enough to not allow cell phones in training and although their IQs may have been lower than the average Ukrainian janitor, they were also capable of teaching their soldiers about signals discipline.  It's a shame such a disorganized cluster fuck of an operation was set up in ukraine, by the Ukrainians.  It sounds like they paid dearly for their poorly implemented program and the average iq of the world plummeted like a russian missile into a Yavoriv barracks.
Link Posted: 2/7/2023 2:42:11 AM EDT
[#45]
new record of liquidated Russians in a day. Over 1k

Link Posted: 2/7/2023 2:49:50 AM EDT
[#46]
Outnumbered and Worn Out, Ukrainians in East Brace for Russian Assault
The war is intensifying in a string of villages on the eastern front, where doctors struggle to handle an influx of gruesome injuries and soldiers fret about a Russian army sending waves of new conscripts.

https://archive.fo/8YvwV

Exhausted Ukrainian troops complain they are already outnumbered and outgunned, even before Russia has committed the bulk of its roughly 200,000 newly mobilized soldiers. And doctors at hospitals speak of mounting losses as they struggle to care for fighters with gruesome injuries.

When and where the new offensive will begin in earnest is still unclear, but Ukrainian officials are gravely concerned. Russian military just keeps coming. Right now, the newly mobilized troops are finishing their training and entering the field; the forces include as many soldiers as took part in the initial invasion last year.

They could be ready to fight in as little as two weeks— much sooner than new Western weapons, including tanks and heavy armored fighting vehicles, are expected to arrive in Ukraine.

“There are so many,” Mr. Haidai said of the new recruits. “These are not professional soldiers, but it is still 200,000 people who are shooting in our direction.”

Russian forces will likely try to recover territories they lost last fall. as well as take full control of the Donbas, a key objective of Russia’s president, Vladimir V. Putin.

The first stages of the Russian offensive have already begun. Ukrainian troops say that Bakhmut is likely to fall soon. Elsewhere, Russian forces are advancing in small groups and probing the front lines looking for Ukrainian weaknesses.

The efforts are already straining Ukraine’s military, which is worn out by nearly 12 months of heavy fighting.

Troops say they have tanks and artillery pieces, but not enough of either, and have far less ammunition than their adversaries. Russia has also started fielding the T-90 tank, which is equipped with technology capable of detecting the targeting systems of anti-tank weapons like the American made Javelins, limiting their effectiveness.

“It’s particularly difficult when you have 50 guys and they have 300,” said a 35-year-old infantry soldier named Pavlo, who was struck in the eye with a piece of shrapnel from a rocket-propelled grenade near Bakhmut. “You take them out and they keep coming and coming. There are so many.”

Losses among Ukrainian forces have been severe. Troops in a volunteer contingent called the Carpathian Sich, positioned near Nevske, said that some 30 fighters from their group had died in recent weeks, and soldiers said, only partly in jest, that just about everyone has a concussion.

At one frontline hospital in the Donbas, the morgue was packed with the bodies of Ukrainian soldiers in white plastic bags. In another hospital, stretchers with wounded troops covered in gold foil thermal blankets crowded the corridors, and a steady stream of ambulances arrived from the front nearly all day long.

A military surgeon at that hospital, Myroslav Dubenko, 36, scrolled through photographs of soldiers with ghastly injuries: a lower jaw blasted off, half of a face missing. One soldier was rushed in with his throat sliced open from ear to ear. Dr. Dubenko was able to quickly repair the damage, and the soldier survived.

In his sleeping quarters at a base near Bakhmut, a soldier with the call sign Badger pulled out a cloth bag and dumped its contents onto a cot. Inside were half a dozen knives — one with a hilt made from a deer’s hoof — trophies he said he had taken from the bodies of dead Russian soldiers.

“We also have losses, but they have huge losses,” Badger said. “We’ve wasted them all in huge numbers.”
Link Posted: 2/7/2023 2:51:20 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 2/7/2023 2:52:22 AM EDT
[#48]
Holoson 512c + 3X, and what I'm guessing is Balistol for lube?

Link Posted: 2/7/2023 2:54:21 AM EDT
[#49]

Link Posted: 2/7/2023 2:56:43 AM EDT
[#50]

View All Quotes

No idea.

But something I've thought about frequently, if I was living in the EU in some tough gun control country, I'd be extremely tempted to get to Ukraine and try and snag an AK to bring home.

Could totally see many people in and out of Ukraine who might want to snag some AK's and ammo even in that price range.
Page / 5592
OFFICIAL Russo-Ukrainian War (Page 3460 of 5592)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top