Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
OFFICIAL Russo-Ukrainian War (Page 4003 of 5591)
Page / 5591
You Must Be Logged In To Vote

Link Posted: 5/12/2023 9:06:06 AM EDT
[#1]
Ghost page.
4003 ownage
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 9:09:04 AM EDT
[#2]

I saw posts from units last night in the Bakhmut area to expect good news today or tomorrow.
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 9:11:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By AlmightyTallest:

I saw posts from units last night in the Bakhmut area to expect good news today or tomorrow.
View Quote

Would make sense. A few soft pokes found the flanks to be ripe and squishy. Time to punch instead of poke.
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 9:12:46 AM EDT
[#4]

Link Posted: 5/12/2023 9:15:00 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Capta:

The whole ‘western jets” thing may just be a canard.  I’ve watched a few of the more professionally oriented commentaries on the issue, and there’s agreement that Gripen was the only possible short-term answer.  With Sweden being kept out of NATO for now, they aren’t keen on handing over a lot of their own AC.  F16 may well be the long-term answer, but it would need a major, major capitol improvement project in Ukraine.  New runways which are well-maintained, and a large number of them to serve as alternates.  That’s the biggest obstacle along with shelters and the infrastructure to support a dispersed air force in the field.  These are all huge problems which are totally glossed over most of the time.
One commentator made the point that the best case would be a squadron of Gripens with Meteor, with the goal mainly to push Russian planes back from the line, keep them at risk, and cause attrition.
IMO the west is just milking the issue as a means of “escalation management” - that is, they threaten to send jets so that Russia can be pleased that we only sent GMLRS/GLSDB.  In reality, GMLRS/GLSDB (and yes, ATACMS should be there too) is providing Ukraine FAR more practical utility than jets.
View Quote

All excellent points and you know much more about it than me.
But many experts miss the urgency of the situation for Ukraine OR seem desperate to keep them fighting of the defense without too much progress. I look at Ukraine like a person drowning. The need a life preserver right fucking now. They are begging for help and all the Western experts are talking about long term training programs to teach them the backstroke and the butterfly before throwing the damned life preserver.

Give them a dozen fucking planes and let them figure something out. Ukraine is not Afghanistan where you first have to teach them to read before they could read a manual. They have experience pilots apparently training now. If they all get shot down or fall apart on the shitty UA runways, then start talking about giving them Gripens in 2087 after they have built 87 improved runways etc. But I bet that as soon as the first F16 arrives in UA hands, the effect on the Russians will be felt immediately.
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 9:15:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Iron Dome going after a Badr-3 rocket over Israel.

Link Posted: 5/12/2023 9:16:03 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By mercersfinest4:
WSJ Article About Daniel Swift.

Navy SEAL KIA in Bakmuht.

Article reads like he just couldn’t find his place in the world outside of action.  Even with a wife and kids.

Interesting that he was still active duty and considered AWOL.
View Quote

FUCK....
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 9:16:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AlmightyTallest] [#8]

Link Posted: 5/12/2023 9:17:20 AM EDT
[#9]

Was that the newest one I posted or was it mislabeled?  I lost track of this assault saga.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Dracster:
https://twitter.com/INTobservers/status/1656936880003317760

"The assault group of the K-2 battalion attacked the Cyclops position, which was occupied by the enemy. When their grenades ran out, the group had to withdraw to replenish their ammo (in part 3)

In less than an hour, the assault on the position continued. But the Russian occupiers are sitting in a deep bunker, from where they are conducting heavy fire. Ukrainian soldiers must knock the enemy out of this shelter to take the position under their control."

13 min video.
This one?

New footage starts around the 3 min mark. @ 6:55 a UA troop bounces a LAW/RPG off the top of the berm trying to get the bunker.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8R-_Ifk09c

Was that the newest one I posted or was it mislabeled?  I lost track of this assault saga.

Dunno. I can't see the Twitter one.

This one is labeled as Pt. 4

Link Posted: 5/12/2023 9:18:05 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By SoCalExile:
View Quote

Someone explain to me all this "dehalo, 150% Ai 30 fps to 50 fps, bullshit? Why are alot of videos like that?
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 9:18:20 AM EDT
[#11]

Link Posted: 5/12/2023 9:18:57 AM EDT
[#12]

View All Quotes

"The assault group of the K-2 battalion attacked the Cyclops position, which was occupied by the enemy. When their grenades ran out, the group had to withdraw to replenish their ammo (in part 3)

In less than an hour, the assault on the position continued. But the Russian occupiers are sitting in a deep bunker, from where they are conducting heavy fire. Ukrainian soldiers must knock the enemy out of this shelter to take the position under their control."

13 min video.
This one?

New footage starts around the 3 min mark. @ 6:55 a UA troop bounces a LAW/RPG off the top of the berm trying to get the bunker.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8R-_Ifk09c

lol, we are on the same page then, it is part 4 as well for those that can't view it in other formats.
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 9:19:21 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By AROKIE:

Someone explain to me all this "dehalo, 150% Ai 30 fps to 50 fps, bullshit? Why are alot of videos like that?
View Quote

I think they're just pointing out that the video was doctored
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 9:22:12 AM EDT
[#14]

Link Posted: 5/12/2023 9:23:04 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By burnka871:

View All Quotes

This, it is enhanced to allow for finer details to be seen vs the original video.  Though it can create some strange artifacts at times.
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 9:24:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AlmightyTallest] [#16]

Link Posted: 5/12/2023 9:25:41 AM EDT
[#17]
Russian source map.

Link Posted: 5/12/2023 9:26:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AlmightyTallest] [#18]
Airbursting mortars about 17 seconds in, they have a digital set fuse.

Link Posted: 5/12/2023 9:28:20 AM EDT
[#19]

13 min video.
View Quote
I thought that in that small bunker that there might be 2 -3 men left alive at most especially after 3-4 grenades were thrown in the bunker door. But then at least 6 came scurrying out at the end.
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 9:34:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: fike] [#20]

This, it is enhanced to allow for finer details to be seen vs the original video.  Though it can create some strange artifacts at times.
View All Quotes

“AI” upscaling can work wonders with good source material. Mentioning the upscaling settings is good form in this context.

If anyone is interested, the below product is one of the best.

https://www.topazlabs.com/
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 9:34:46 AM EDT
[#21]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By SoCalExile:

Image enhancement specs of the video.
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 9:35:13 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By atavistic:
It's going to be a bad month to be a Russian life insurance company.
View Quote
"No body, no claim"
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 9:36:13 AM EDT
[#23]
Russian source map.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Fv6iD0rXoAEd4ft?format=jpg&name=4096x4096
View Quote

So it’s safe to assume it’s a bit worse than what they show.
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 9:38:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AlmightyTallest] [#24]
Originally Posted By kncook:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By kncook:
Russian source map.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Fv6iD0rXoAEd4ft?format=jpg&name=4096x4096

Usually, to me it's pretty bad they are admitting to losing ground in the city itself to Ukrainian forces this morning.
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 9:41:16 AM EDT
[#25]

View Quote

Topaz Labs AI image enhancing software
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 9:41:31 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Brok3n:

Yes the F-16 is a vastly superior plane when compared to the MiG-29 especially in terms of avionics, weapons, radar, etc. but regardless of what 4th gen plane is being flown by Ukraine they would still have to contend with the SAM rings of S400 systems which make flying at medium to high altitudes impossible to safely operate in for long so they'll continue to forced to operate at low altitudes. This limitation will impact the lawn darts already short range radar and aerodynamically limit the max-range of the AMRAAM missile making its BVR capability almost a moot point from a range perspective but at least finally gives Ukraine a fire-and-forget capability. But the F-16 is more badly needed for ATG missions and if they can pair them with the HTS pod they can take full advantage of the HARM's various SAM killing modes although they'll still be likely unable to bop the S400s.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/65378/asgasg_PNG-2788092.png

Regardless, all this talk of newer jets for Ukraine is a moot point as this administration has zero appetite to provide them and unfortunately for Ukraine is becoming a post-war project..
View Quote

Question (Serious): Why are the S400's not engaging now? Are they and we don't hear of it? Are all UKR planes staying on the deck at all times?

Based on that coverage, how can anything fly over Ukraine?
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 9:41:43 AM EDT
[#27]

View All Quotes

I think it's them slowing down the videos and cleaning them up. They are telling you it has been altered and what they did to it. Usually they do it to show a javelin or off route mine strike on a tank.
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 9:43:02 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By Finslayer83:

Question (Serious): Why are the S400's not engaging now? Are they and we don't hear of it? Are all UKR planes staying on the deck at all times?

View Quote

Combination of low flying and Russian junk not being as good as claimed
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 9:43:17 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By Chaingun:
"No body, no claim"
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Chaingun:
Originally Posted By atavistic:
It's going to be a bad month to be a Russian life insurance company.
"No body, no claim"

Lol….”Russian Life Insurance” hahahaha…sure, sure, sure.
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 9:47:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AlmightyTallest] [#30]
Russian thermal drone point of view, it gets rammed by a Ukrainian one from below.
https://twitter.com/PaulJawin/status/1656993494395756545
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 9:47:24 AM EDT
[#31]

man that was a very interesting and very detailed look at Russia's missile use!! thanks for that.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Zam18th:
https://www.csis.org/analysis/putins-missile-war

Putin's Missile War
Russia's Strike Campaign in Ukraine
Russia's missile campaign against Ukraine has severely underperformed expectations. In the invasion's early days, Russia underestimated the necessary scale and effort of its missile campaign. Since then, Russia has changed course multiple times, most recently moving to target Ukrainian electrical grid and civilian infrastructure during the winter months. Russia's haphazard missile campaign reflects both internal strategic failures and Ukraine's critical forward thinking in the days prior to the invasion. Early Russian failures also gave time for Ukraine to develop its air defense strategy and capabilities which have only grown in effectiveness, thanks in large part to Western aid. This report provides an in-depth review of these and related "missile war" dynamics.

man that was a very interesting and very detailed look at Russia's missile use!! thanks for that.

x2
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 9:52:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AlmightyTallest] [#32]

View All Quotes

Yes the F-16 is a vastly superior plane when compared to the MiG-29 especially in terms of avionics, weapons, radar, etc. but regardless of what 4th gen plane is being flown by Ukraine they would still have to contend with the SAM rings of S400 systems which make flying at medium to high altitudes impossible to safely operate in for long so they'll continue to forced to operate at low altitudes. This limitation will impact the lawn darts already short range radar and aerodynamically limit the max-range of the AMRAAM missile making its BVR capability almost a moot point from a range perspective but at least finally gives Ukraine a fire-and-forget capability. But the F-16 is more badly needed for ATG missions and if they can pair them with the HTS pod they can take full advantage of the HARM's various SAM killing modes although they'll still be likely unable to bop the S400s.

Regardless, all this talk of newer jets for Ukraine is a moot point as this administration has zero appetite to provide them and unfortunately for Ukraine is becoming a post-war project..

SAM coverage is not an impenetrable wall, but as you fly lower and put terrain between you and the SAM it allows aircraft to have access to areas that is covered at higher altitudes by those SAM units.

I'll see if I can find a handy graphic to show.   But those rings gets much smaller the lower you fly and if terrain blocks part of the coverage.

Edit: same idea, same SAM coverage area as the top picture, but stealth and electronic warfare changes the area the planes can fly avoiding the SAM.  Same idea works for less stealthy aircraft flying lower to the ground and using terrain.

A good article explaining the S-400.

https://www.sandboxx.us/blog/the-s-400-myth-why-russias-air-defense-prowess-is-exaggerated/
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 10:00:32 AM EDT
[#33]

@Charging_Handle
yea im sure you would have a better idea than i would, I just watched the interview on youtube consisting of F-16 pilots giving there opinion of the F-16 in that theater and there overall opinion was a big nope.. if i can find the clip ill post it but i cant even remember what channel it was. also they said that most of the high tech stuff that makes the F-16 able to fire the newest standoff weapons would be removed before handing them over to Ukraine if the US chose to do so. they said there would be no chance in hell that they would risk that tech falling into russian hands right now.

edited: i was trying to GOOGLE the youtube video and did not find the one i watched but here is a similar written article about survivability of the F-16 saying it wouldnt have a "fighting" chance there.

https://www.businessinsider.com/former-f-16-pilot-aircraft-no-fighting-chance-over-ukraine-2023-5

"In a commentary published on the think tank's website last month, Venable wrote that the F-16 was not suited for Ukraine's air force for several reasons, including that the S-400 could outsmart the F-16's targeting systems and that it could target the fighter jets before they're in range to fire weapons like Small Diameter Bombs."

"Venable said that when he was flying F-16s over Europe earlier in his career as a pilot, his aircraft had solid jamming pods that worked against threats posed by the SA-6 and SA-11 Soviet-era SAM systems. He said that he would have felt comfortable going up against the integrated Soviet air defenses in the 1980s and 1990s knowing he was backed by HARM targeting"
systems designed to take those on."

"The threat would've been high. There would've been a good possibility that I would've been shot down, but also at least an equal possibility that I could have made it to the target, hit my target, and then I drop successfully and then egress safely from the battlefield," Venable said.

But there's since been a "whole leap in capabilities" from those to the current Russian SAM systems that have evolved over time. "I had a fighting chance back then," he said. "Today, there is no fighting chance."
View Quote

Honestly it does not sound very different from Vietnam era, where the Russians also had a strong presence of SAMs. Ukraine would need to perform SEAD missions to secure their airspace. Yes, there would be losses of F-16s and Ukrainian pilots. That is pretty much a given any time we are fighting a "near peer" like Russia. F-16s could take out SAM sites with long range missiles instead of bombs, just like it has been done in the past.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wild_Weasel

The reason why Ukraine is not getting F-16s is political, not because they would not be useful on the battlefield. I guess the US is not comfortable targeting SAM sites that are within Russia proper, but it would be hard to argue that they are not legitimate targets. Air dominance would be a huge step forward for Ukraine. Also, if we can bleed the Russian Air Force dry by sacrificing relatively "cheap" F-16s, that tradeoff does not sound very different from how we exhausted their supply of tanks.
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 10:08:33 AM EDT
[#34]

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Fv6p4HhWYAAOi6w?format=jpg&name=900x900

View Quote

Interesting. The Oplot seems to be a pretty capable tank but I wonder how they plan to get them back into production? They were produced at a factory in Kharkiv which I have to assume has been thoroughly destroyed by Russian bombardment over the past year plus.
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 10:12:02 AM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By Charging_Handle:

Interesting. The Oplot seems to be a pretty capable tank but I wonder how they plan to get them back into production? They were produced at a factory in Kharkiv which I have to assume has been thoroughly destroyed by Russian bombardment over the past year plus.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Charging_Handle:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Fv6p4HhWYAAOi6w?format=jpg&name=900x900

Yeah, I am wondering if they simply dispersed the manufacturing and took it underground in some cases.  I was surprised to see this initiative.
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 10:12:29 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 10:13:12 AM EDT
[#37]

More importantly, this also confirms that the Ukrainian supply lines have gotten considerable relief and are in no immediate way to be cut off.

Also, I don't think that this is *the* counteroffensive, but more of a local development based on the Russian loss of troops and, effectively, momentum. Prigozhin's complaint might be genuine, considering that Shoigu will need all reserves for the upcoming Ukrainian offensive and most certainly will not be inclined to help his rival.

Either way, in my opinion and judging the current situation the Ukrainian determination to continue to defend Bakhmut has turned out to be the absolutely right decision.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/12/2023 10:18:44 AM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By jungatheart:

That thing has to be all battery
to get 600 miles out of it.  Is
the lithium battery also the
explosive?
View Quote

A little extra incendiary
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 10:19:40 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 10:22:02 AM EDT
[#40]

13 min video.
View Quote

Great video. We saw several pieces of that previously. The body that’s close to the dugout is a Ukrainian who took a headshot in the previous assault. By the end of the video, he’s been retrieved.

Link Posted: 5/12/2023 10:22:24 AM EDT
[#41]

Wagner map.

Link Posted: 5/12/2023 10:25:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Saltwater-Hillbilly] [#42]

View All Quotes

Answer:  Attack profiles that minimize the S-400 to track, acquire and engage Ukrainian targets.  Generally, flying low and fast at altitudes below or near the radar horizon for the S300 and S400 systems.  Effective, but it requires extreme maneuvering due both to the SHORAD threat and terrain avoidance issues.  There are other methods, such as firing near a system overlap, identifying or creating coverage "gaps", "shadowing", High-speed ingress/egress, etc.  The problem with ALLL of these is that they significantly inhibit/degrade the successful employment of precision strike munitions.  The physics problem is similar (but more complex) to trying to accurately shoot a firearm from a vehicle going along a mountain highway at 100mph while the driver is trying to dodge fire from people shooting at y'all from both the shoulders of the road and the hills.

Link Posted: 5/12/2023 10:30:03 AM EDT
[#43]

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Fv7RMKrWcAApf1U?format=png&name=small
View Quote

As a history guy, statements similar "we hope to have this wrapped up by Christmas" make me nervous.
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 10:33:57 AM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By fadedsun:

Don't forget about him.

We have Arfcommers here in this thread in Ukraine who comment, post, and chat daily.

One guy goes to Russia and disappears when the war goes south for Russia. Ironic.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By fadedsun:

Forgot about him.

Don't forget about him.

We have Arfcommers here in this thread in Ukraine who comment, post, and chat daily.

One guy goes to Russia and disappears when the war goes south for Russia. Ironic.

Wonder how OutofBattery is doing, I know just that he changed his username on here but was otherwise well last year.
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 10:35:22 AM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By ITCHY-FINGER:

But many experts miss the urgency of the situation for Ukraine OR seem desperate to keep them fighting of the defense without too much progress. I look at Ukraine like a person drowning. The need a life preserver right fucking now. They are begging for help and all the Western experts are talking about long term training programs to teach them the backstroke and the butterfly before throwing the damned life preserver.

Give them a dozen fucking planes and let them figure something out. Ukraine is not Afghanistan where you first have to teach them to read before they could read a manual. They have experience pilots apparently training now. If they all get shot down or fall apart on the shitty UA runways, then start talking about giving them Gripens in 2087 after they have built 87 improved runways etc. But I bet that as soon as the first F16 arrives in UA hands, the effect on the Russians will be felt immediately.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ITCHY-FINGER:
Originally Posted By Capta:

The whole ‘western jets” thing may just be a canard.  I’ve watched a few of the more professionally oriented commentaries on the issue, and there’s agreement that Gripen was the only possible short-term answer.  With Sweden being kept out of NATO for now, they aren’t keen on handing over a lot of their own AC.  F16 may well be the long-term answer, but it would need a major, major capitol improvement project in Ukraine.  New runways which are well-maintained, and a large number of them to serve as alternates.  That’s the biggest obstacle along with shelters and the infrastructure to support a dispersed air force in the field.  These are all huge problems which are totally glossed over most of the time.
One commentator made the point that the best case would be a squadron of Gripens with Meteor, with the goal mainly to push Russian planes back from the line, keep them at risk, and cause attrition.
IMO the west is just milking the issue as a means of “escalation management” - that is, they threaten to send jets so that Russia can be pleased that we only sent GMLRS/GLSDB.  In reality, GMLRS/GLSDB (and yes, ATACMS should be there too) is providing Ukraine FAR more practical utility than jets.

The problem with tossing them planes immediately without training pilots and ground crews is the pilots will likely struggle to be effective at the same time disclosing all manner of intel on the platforms so counters can be developed and without trained maintenance they will be on the ground longer and longer until they can figure it out.
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 10:40:19 AM EDT
[#46]
Shaping operations.

View Quote

I’m never quite sure how to read these but I do know those are the highest concentrations hit numbers I’ve seen in a single day if I’m not mistaken
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 10:41:52 AM EDT
[#47]

Link Posted: 5/12/2023 10:43:44 AM EDT
[#48]

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Fv7RMKrWcAApf1U?format=png&name=small
View Quote
With the way Zelensky and his cabinet dress I'm starting to think Ukraine is run by an IT department
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 10:46:54 AM EDT
[#49]
View Quote

Still remember that one from last summer
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 10:48:16 AM EDT
[#50]

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Fv7jJ13XwAEu65h?format=jpg&name=large
View Quote

Bet they take that m-03 highway at the northern tip and zip down and flank the hell out of them over the weekend.
Page / 5591
OFFICIAL Russo-Ukrainian War (Page 4003 of 5591)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top