Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
OFFICIAL Russo-Ukrainian War (Page 4974 of 5592)
Page / 5592
You Must Be Logged In To Vote

Link Posted: 10/6/2023 6:07:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By CarmelBytheSea:
I was referring to civilian. I think Ukraine has had some impact but not in a black or white fashion but rather in nuanced manner; some things, not others, some positive, some not positive but imo Ukraine aid is not the originator or cause of the situation you describe, which I agree with. I’ve argued in GD since 2017 that the USA was not prepared for a near peer war lasting more than 30 days. The Sec Nav said he’d update impact on USN from Ukraine aid in 6 months to a year from January and to date he hasn’t but the DOD released a press statement in late August if I recall stating Ukraine aid has not impacted readiness on the DOD as of that time. But even if I lean into Ukraine aid negatively, there was a time in which NSS laid out a 2 plus theater scenario. If Ukraine was the source of problems, it only highlights how badly we’ve gotten to the point to fight in a single theater with a single infantry brigade for Iraq/Syria and a infantry battalion for all of Africa. We have Virginia class attack subs waiting till after 2030 because Columbia class has to be built as our attack subs drop from down towards 48 with like a 1/3 being 1980s era Los Angeles class. So we’re reduced to hoping China doesn’t do anything or “we’ll build up overnight” if war happens. Same for Europe, the let their defense industry evaporate, even the French who are in the  top 5 arms dealer nations. I have a feeling non Ukraine related, regular US defense budgets which were +3% for FY 2024 not including inflation and +1% for 2025 not including inflation will mean another “you go to war with the Army you have” Rumsfeld situation later this decade and we’ll have high casualties as a result. So Ukraine won’t be the only one trying to manage with limited resources during a war. Congress has failed America and the price will be dead Americans.
View Quote

Pretty much completely agree with you.

To add to all that, the current budget deficit means there is absolutely zero surge capacity in spending for acquisition if the need arose. The US Government is overspending so much just for DEI, Climate, immigration, Obamacare, etc, that we couldn't start a major war even if it was forced on us. It would wreck a huge part of the domestic landscape if we had to shift, say 25% of domestic spending to defense because Putin or Xi pushed too far. And they might, because they know we're weak and getting weaker. Authoritarians around the world are watching us teeter, and those two know that at a certain point just a push, asymmetrically, and we would fall over. The future is... uncertain.

And now back to our regular agenda. Today on Solovyov... Remember that video I posted of Simonyan rambling and talking about an atmospheric EMP attack, and doing that in the atmosphere over Siberia wouldn't harm anybody except the tech-dependent and decadent West? Turns out some people from Siberia were not amused by that comment, and now Solovyov is hitting back on critics of  Simonyan's crazy comments.
Link Posted: 10/6/2023 6:11:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By RockNwood:

Those were blatant lies then. Unless they consider a couple hundred cruise missiles that can only be launched from a couple of  operable Su-25 2-4 at a time enough for Ukraine. Which other strike capabilities has been provided in meaningful quantity that has the same reach?  

It is political, not “needed for war.”  If ATACMS were so vitally important why were 1,000 of the scant 2,400 not kept up to date for immediate use?

Probably for the same reason are nuclear arsenal is in disrepair https://time.com/6212698/nuclear-missiles-icbm-triad-upgrade/
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/459941/IMG_4958_jpeg-2981351.JPG
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/459941/IMG_4959_jpeg-2981352.JPG
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/459941/IMG_4960_jpeg-2981354.JPG
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/459941/IMG_4961_jpeg-2981356.JPG

That is outright frightening. I have no words to express toward the corrupt negligence.

Link Posted: 10/6/2023 6:11:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By AlmightyTallest:

View Quote

That's assuming that they were competent in the first place.
Link Posted: 10/6/2023 6:13:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Lieh-tzu:

Denying that Russia committed war crimes in Bucha when it has been thoroughly investigated and verified by independent parties is a clear indication that somebody is an enemy agent, or a complete idiot. There are no other options. I hadn't put that person on ignore, but I must have overlooked that piece of ugliness. People that deny Russian war crimes are up there with 9/11 deniers and holocaust deniers.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Jaehaerys:
Dude, you seriously have argued that Ukraine faked Bucha, and you have consistently made efforts to downplay or cast doubts upon other Russian war crimes. That's more than enough for you be considered pro-Russian, regardless of what you choose to label yourself.

Denying that Russia committed war crimes in Bucha when it has been thoroughly investigated and verified by independent parties is a clear indication that somebody is an enemy agent, or a complete idiot. There are no other options. I hadn't put that person on ignore, but I must have overlooked that piece of ugliness. People that deny Russian war crimes are up there with 9/11 deniers and holocaust deniers.

In another thread, he posted that the Ukrainians moved the bodies into the area, which essentially told me everything I needed to know.
Link Posted: 10/6/2023 6:17:09 PM EDT
[#5]

To add to all that, the current budget deficit means there is absolutely zero surge capacity in spending for acquisition if the need arose. The US Government is overspending so much just for DEI, Climate, immigration, Obamacare, etc, that we couldn't start a major war even if it was forced on us. It would wreck a huge part of the domestic landscape if we had to shift, say 25% of domestic spending to defense because Putin or Xi pushed too far. And they might, because they know we're weak and getting weaker. Authoritarians around the world are watching us teeter, and those two know that at a certain point just a push, asymmetrically, and we would fall over. The future is... uncertain.

And now back to our regular agenda. Today on Solovyov... Remember that video I posted of Simonyan rambling and talking about an atmospheric EMP attack, and doing that in the atmosphere over Siberia wouldn't harm anybody except the tech-dependent and decadent West? Turns out some people from Siberia were not amused by that comment, and now Solovyov is hitting back on critics of  Simonyan's crazy comments.
View All Quotes
I was referring to civilian. I think Ukraine has had some impact but not in a black or white fashion but rather in nuanced manner; some things, not others, some positive, some not positive but imo Ukraine aid is not the originator or cause of the situation you describe, which I agree with. I’ve argued in GD since 2017 that the USA was not prepared for a near peer war lasting more than 30 days. The Sec Nav said he’d update impact on USN from Ukraine aid in 6 months to a year from January and to date he hasn’t but the DOD released a press statement in late August if I recall stating Ukraine aid has not impacted readiness on the DOD as of that time. But even if I lean into Ukraine aid negatively, there was a time in which NSS laid out a 2 plus theater scenario. If Ukraine was the source of problems, it only highlights how badly we’ve gotten to the point to fight in a single theater with a single infantry brigade for Iraq/Syria and a infantry battalion for all of Africa. We have Virginia class attack subs waiting till after 2030 because Columbia class has to be built as our attack subs drop from down towards 48 with like a 1/3 being 1980s era Los Angeles class. So we’re reduced to hoping China doesn’t do anything or “we’ll build up overnight” if war happens. Same for Europe, the let their defense industry evaporate, even the French who are in the  top 5 arms dealer nations. I have a feeling non Ukraine related, regular US defense budgets which were +3% for FY 2024 not including inflation and +1% for 2025 not including inflation will mean another “you go to war with the Army you have” Rumsfeld situation later this decade and we’ll have high casualties as a result. So Ukraine won’t be the only one trying to manage with limited resources during a war. Congress has failed America and the price will be dead Americans.

Note to general “Soviet” public: If you live outside Moscow/St Petersburg, you are not really “Russian” and are expendable. Send us your harvest of natural resources and then go back to your hole.

Link Posted: 10/6/2023 6:20:20 PM EDT
[#6]

View Quote

I thought Siberia was a tech hub for Russia?
Link Posted: 10/6/2023 6:21:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Interesting. We are actually making an effort to minimise the number of different systems in Ukraine?  How did that slip by? 😂

Link Posted: 10/6/2023 6:27:16 PM EDT
[#8]
The court seized the Ukrainian assets of Russian oligarchs Mikhail Fridman, Petro Aven and Andrey Kosogov worth more than 17 billion hryvnias.

The decision concerns 20 companies and financial and credit institutions that the Russians owned as ultimate beneficiaries or through controlled offshore companies.

https://t.me/ermaka2022/3796

🇺🇦🇮🇳Had a telephone conversation with National Security Adviser to the Prime Minister of the Republic of India Ajit Kumar Doval.

They discussed the current security situation, in particular, the next terrorist acts of the Russian Federation, which led to the death of a significant number of Ukrainian civilians.

He informed about the preparation for holding in the near future the third meeting at the level of national security advisers, which will concern the implementation of the Ukrainian peace formula and the organization of the Global Peace Summit.

Ukraine has already held nine thematic meetings at the level of ambassadors, dedicated to individual points of the Peace Formula, and each time it expands the circle of participants, in particular, involving the countries of the Global South.

They discussed the importance of intensifying contacts at the level of the defense ministers of the two countries.

They agreed to continue the dialogue and coordinate positions on important issues of the international agenda.

https://t.me/ermaka2022/3799

Link Posted: 10/6/2023 6:32:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By daoliver924:
Not justifying anything. Simply point out that it wasn't some new thing that FJB used. I think it all should be cut. Only thing we should be spending money on is Defense of the physical territory of the USA and the Post Office. Everything else is out of the scope of what the founders intended.
View All Quotes
Not justifying anything. Simply point out that it wasn't some new thing that FJB used. I think it all should be cut. Only thing we should be spending money on is Defense of the physical territory of the USA and the Post Office. Everything else is out of the scope of what the founders intended.

The founding fathers would disagree with you since they actually sent foreign aid.

BTW, it's a few months past now and the Roston On don is still a burnt hull

@daoliver924

Funny thing is that at least the Sinaloa cartel has banned being involved in Fentanyl at all.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/other/el-chapo-s-sons-executing-their-own-drug-dealers-for-not-complying-with-new-fentanyl-ban-report/ar-AA1hLaqN

You buying the MSM on the failed MIC drug war?

I don't support Russia. I just don't see their actions in Ukr as our problem.
As to your comment. You obviously have a huge problem with reading comprehension

I'll leave you to your echo chamber

You actually do.

You're one of the most recent arrivals to the Arfcom Russian legion.

But remember, it's october 6th and neither the Minsk nor the Roston on Don are swimming again

@daoliver924

590 days into your 2 day war

So you're one of those living Constitution guys. When are you coming to take my guns because the 2a is outdated?

Who said anything about that?

Don't you have another pro-Russian thread to start?

You might want to read up on that. Technically it was a punitive action as Polk placed troops on the Texas side of the Rio Grande (which Mexico disputed) and Mexico attacked them. Thus it became a punitive action.
The US basically pulled what Russia is currently doing.
Should we withdraw and give Texas and California back to Texas?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mexican%E2%80%93American_War

The situation is completely reversed (as is your usual custom).

Russia is trying to annex Ukraine.

The USA is not trying to annex Mexico.
Link Posted: 10/6/2023 6:34:25 PM EDT
[#10]
If I understand this correctly:

1) Her early disapproval was based just on the fact the previous govt before elections had approved giving aid. And she thinks it should not be carried over but approved by the new govt.

2) Although elected PM, Fico has not formed a new govt yet and still adamantly opposes aid. Yet some of his supposed parliamentarian allies seem in favor of aid.

???

https://english.nv.ua/nation/slovakia-supports-continuation-of-military-aid-to-ukraine-reversing-earlier-stance-50358784.html

Link Posted: 10/6/2023 6:35:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Interesting. We are actually making an effort to minimise the number of different systems in Ukraine?  How did that slip by? 😂

View Quote

Saw that a couple hours ago but decided to wait for more info. I’d originally hoped Spain would provide their Patriot but didn’t happen.
Link Posted: 10/6/2023 6:38:57 PM EDT
[#12]
If I understand this correctly:

1) Her early disapproval was based just on the fact the previous govt before elections had approved giving aid. And she thinks it should not be carried over but approved by the new govt.

2) Although elected PM, Fico has not formed a new govt yet and still adamantly opposes aid. Yet some of his supposed parliamentarian allies seem in favor of aid.

???

https://english.nv.ua/nation/slovakia-supports-continuation-of-military-aid-to-ukraine-reversing-earlier-stance-50358784.html

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/494438/IMG_4131-2981507.jpg

View Quote

But but but muh pro-Russian gov
Link Posted: 10/6/2023 6:39:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 10/6/2023 6:44:53 PM EDT
[#14]

That is outright frightening. I have no words to express toward the corrupt negligence.

View All Quotes

Those were blatant lies then. Unless they consider a couple hundred cruise missiles that can only be launched from a couple of  operable Su-25 2-4 at a time enough for Ukraine. Which other strike capabilities has been provided in meaningful quantity that has the same reach?  

It is political, not “needed for war.”  If ATACMS were so vitally important why were 1,000 of the scant 2,400 not kept up to date for immediate use?

Probably for the same reason are nuclear arsenal is in disrepair https://time.com/6212698/nuclear-missiles-icbm-triad-upgrade/

Look how old our SSBN carrying submarines are. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ohio-class_submarine

I saw the USS TN and PA when they came up the Intra-coastal and then the channel past the sub tender I was on, and that was a looooong time ago. B-52s haven't been built in over 60 years. I know we have a handful of B1s and B2s that are newer. I have no clue about the missiles and bombs, but I suspect many are pretty damn old too.
Link Posted: 10/6/2023 6:50:18 PM EDT
[#15]
The news from the Moscow Times.
And I want to be clear, this is just today.
And I was selective, this is not all the bad news for today.

More than a million Russians became bankrupt

The number of Russians declared financially insolvent by the courts has exceeded 1 million, according to statistics from the Unified Federal Register of Bankruptcy Information.

The personal bankruptcy procedure has existed since October 2015. However, only since the beginning of this year, 249.9 thousand debtors have become bankrupt by court decision, writes RBC. Every month, 26–30 thousand people receive bankrupt status through the courts. In 2020, the number of financially insolvent citizens increased by 72.6%, in 2021 they increased by 62%, and in 2022 by 44.2%. Since the beginning of this year, the increase has been 28.8% year on year.

In the next year or two, the increase in the number of applications for judicial bankruptcy will be about 30%, says the head of Fedresurs, Alexey Yukhnin.

https://t.me/moscowtimes_ru/16137

Moscow decided to recruit Serbian mercenaries for the war in Ukraine

The Russian military is recruiting Serbian mercenaries as volunteers to take part in the war in Ukraine, the BBC found out in its investigation. The recruitment is being carried out by Serbian commander Davor Savicic, who has been fighting in eastern Ukraine since 2014.

At the meeting, the recording of which was studied by journalists, Savicic announced plans to create a full-fledged Serbian brigade as part of the 106th Airborne Division by the fall of 2023. At the moment, about a hundred people have managed to register, after which the process was suspended. Savicich also announced the recruitment of volunteers on the Soloviev Live program. According to him, his unit initially operated near Kiev, then in the Kharkov region, and after that - in the Donetsk region.

The Moscow region became the center of recruitment. Here, mercenaries are temporarily housed in a dormitory in Krasnogorsk, documents are drawn up by special notaries, and contracts are concluded in Korolev. This region was proposed as a base for them, since it could not independently cope with the set mobilization indicators.

In addition to Savicic, the leader of the biker group “Night Wolves” Alexander “Surgeon” Zaldostanov, who has connections with far-right Serbian circles, and the son of former Yugoslav President Marko Milosevic, who has been living in Russia for the last 20 years, were involved in the recruitment process, the publication’s interlocutor claims. At home, mercenaries can face up to 10 years in prison.

https://t.me/moscowtimes_ru/16138

Armenia has begun preparing a ban on Russian state propaganda

The Commission on Television and Radio of Armenia has identified violations in the broadcasting of Russian television channels, in particular “RTR-Planeta” and “First Channel Worldwide Network,” the head of the department, Tigran Hakobyan, said in an interview with Sputnik. According to him, the country periodically raises the issue of the content of talk shows on Russian channels.

“It was a political decision to give our allies the opportunity to broadcast in our space, taking into account Russia’s interest and the fact that we have a lot of Russian-speaking listeners. But I think it’s wrong to use this and present such content [with violations]. We have an absolutely free country, we just have some limits that cannot be violated,” Hakobyan noted. Earlier, MP Lusine Badalyan from the ruling Civil Contract faction proposed turning off the broadcasting of Russian TV channels due to “anti-Armenian content” that poses a threat to the country’s national security.

Official representative of the Russian Foreign Ministry Maria Zakharova expressed the opinion that attempts to ban Russian television channels in Armenia are the result of the activities of the US Embassy in Yerevan.

https://t.me/moscowtimes_ru/16141

The government returned multibillion-dollar payments from the budget to the oil barons

The Russian authorities have decided to return multi-billion dollar subsidies to oil companies from the budget in order to “put out the fire” in the fuel market, where wholesale prices have soared by 40-70% since the beginning of the year, followed by price tags at gas stations jumping to historical records.

Starting October 1, the government will return in full the payments to oil workers under the damper mechanism, which it cut in half just a month ago. According to the press service of the Cabinet of Ministers, the refusal to reduce subsidies will be part of a “set of measures” to stabilize the fuel situation.

The government is also lifting the ban on the export of diesel fuel, provided that its manufacturer sells at least half of its output domestically. For traders and intermediaries, the de facto export ban remains: a protective duty of 50 thousand rubles per ton will apply. In addition, from November 1, the standards for the sale of fuel on the exchange will increase - from 13% to 15% for gasoline and from 9.5% to 12.5% ​​for diesel fuel.

Returning the damper to its previous parameters will give oil companies about 400-500 billion rubles by the end of this year, MMI analysts estimate.

https://t.me/moscowtimes_ru/16142

The State Duma proposed taking 2% of the income of civil servants for the needs of the army

State Duma deputy Yana Lantratova proposed introducing a “voluntary charitable subscription” in Russia, under which civil servants, deputies and heads of state corporations will be able to transfer 2% of their income to the needs of the Russian army in Ukraine. Lantratova sent a letter with such a proposal to Russian Prime Minister Mikhail Mishustin, TASS writes.

According to Lantratova’s proposal, deputies of the State Duma, regional parliaments and municipal councils, civil servants holding senior positions, as well as heads of federal budgetary institutions and state corporations will be able to sign up for the “Contribution to Victory” subscription. Participation in the program should be especially recommended for those civil servants whose families’ average per capita income exceeds three subsistence minimums, Lantratova believes.

According to the deputy, there are many people in Russia who want to make their contribution to the fight for the “liberation of the residents of Novorossiya” and for the Russian future. It is proposed to transfer the money to the Defenders of the Fatherland fund, created by decree of President Vladimir Putin in April 2023

https://t.me/moscowtimes_ru/16144

Front-line cities in Russia began to be protected with the help of 178 shamans

Russian shamans asked the spirits to protect cities located near the border with Ukraine. Such rituals are held regularly, the Supreme Shaman of the Southern Federal District, representative of the Supreme Shaman of the Russian Federation, Alena Muravyova, told RIA Novosti. “We are working hard to protect our cities, which are located near the border, from the war. We are working so that there are fewer victims, so that our boys, husbands and brothers return home, so that the people of Ukraine and we are united and this all ends,” she said.

Not only front-line cities come into the shamans’ field of vision, but also those where President Vladimir Putin likes to travel. For example, Sochi is on the list - the residence of the head of state, Bocharov Ruchey, is located there. “We are holding rituals, and at the moment we are 80% sure that cities such as Sochi, Anapa, Rostov - other shamans also work there - we have closed from outside interference,” Muravyova noted.

She emphasized that the shamans “do not cause damage” to Ukraine, but only ask “for the war to end as soon as possible.” “We are not sending troubles to Ukraine, we are not harming people - we are closing Russia. We had 178 shamans working: we stood in a circle and closed our region, because we are very close to the border. We light bonfires periodically and ask that our soldiers come healthy and safe,” Muravyova said.

https://t.me/moscowtimes_ru/16151

Russians “attacked” the Internet with a question about the return of conscripts home

In September, Russians began asking Yandex with record frequency when their loved ones would return from the war. “Layout” drew attention to this. According to Yandex Wordstat, in September, users asked Yandex 134 thousand times for information “when the mobilized will be returned.” This is 51% more than in August, when there were about 89 thousand such requests, and twice as many as in October 2022, during the previous peak of requests, when there were 66.5 thousand.

Russians are also writing petitions calling for the return of those mobilized from the front. One of them, posted on September 19 by the Zemsky Defender project, collected more than 17.8 thousand signatures. It, in particular, proposes to “transfer the conflict with Ukraine into a diplomatic channel and resolve it through international mediation.”

Russians are also trying to obtain information about the possible return of conscripts from government officials at various levels. Russians are “attacking” officials’ pages on the social network VKontakte with questions. According to Vestka’s calculations, Russians have sent the most such messages in recent days to the governor of the Voronezh region, Alexander Gusev, and the governor of the Oryol region, Andrei Klychkov. In most cases, such requests remain ignored.

https://t.me/moscowtimes_ru/16152

Due to sanctions, Russian business switched to barter in trade from the 1990s

Russian business under sanctions. introduced against the backdrop of the war in Ukraine, increasingly began to turn to the practice of barter transactions. Vedomosti was told about this by sources close to large companies, as well as official representatives of the Ministry of Industry and Trade, the Federal Customs Service (FCS), the Russian Union of Industrialists and Entrepreneurs (RSPP) and several banks.

In April 2023, customs was forced to publish an explanation of the procedure for monitoring and recording barter transactions. The service representative emphasized that this step was caused by numerous requests from participants in foreign economic activity. Experts note that barter has become a necessity due to the lack of effective payment mechanisms under sanctions. Maxim Medvedkov, head of the department of trade policy at the National Research University Higher School of Economics, emphasizes that this is a forced measure that arises when the current system is insufficiently effective. However, the main problem is the lack of a market price for transactions, which leads to distortions in the assessment of customs duties.

In the 1990s, barter was widespread in Russia, but for different reasons, Natalya Volchkova, vice-rector of the All-Russian Academy of Foreign Trade, told Vedomosti. At that time there was no financial system and the banking sector was just being formed.

https://t.me/moscowtimes_ru/16153

Putin let slip about problems with one of the main missiles of Russia's nuclear triad

The Russian military-industrial complex is experiencing problems with one of the main missiles of the “nuclear triad”, designed to replace the Soviet nuclear legacy, which is rapidly turning into junk. The Sarmat missile system, which is being developed to replace the Voevoda (Satan in NATO classification) intercontinental missiles that have been in service since the 1980s, has not yet been put into mass production and has not entered service with the troops, President Vladimir Putin admitted. “We have actually finished work on the Sarmat, a super-heavy rocket. The question is  to move on to their mass production and deployment on combat duty. And we will do this in the near future,” the president said.

Development of the Sarmat missile began in 2013, and Putin promised that it would enter service with the troops in 2020. However, the warranty period for the Voevod expired in the mid-2000s, and then it was extended until 2016. It is believed that Russia has up to 40 Voevodes. But “in practice, we can count zero,” military expert Pavel Luzin told The Moscow Times: “All their deadlines have long expired.” The deadline for creating a replacement - Sarmat, or Satan-2 - turned out to be missed, and the rocket is not ready. Russia's nuclear disarmament is actually taking place. Parity in the number of speakers with the United States is an “illusion,” Luzin believes. The United States had 662 carriers as of March 2023, Russia announced 540 in September 2022. “In practice, today we can count with all assumptions a maximum of only 484,” says Luzin.

In addition to the obsolete Voevod, approximately half of the Tu-95MS strategic missile carriers, several nuclear submarines, and Topol missiles are not suitable for use, the expert lists. “The Kremlin is resisting reality,” but Russia “doesn’t need so many missiles,” he believes: “Reducing the nuclear arsenal is good for Russia.”

https://t.me/moscowtimes_ru/16154

Link Posted: 10/6/2023 6:51:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Jaehaerys:
In another thread, he posted that the Ukrainians moved the bodies into the area, which essentially told me everything I needed to know.
View Quote

Unbelievable. And the Ukiebros are the ones who are hysterical and disruptive.
Link Posted: 10/6/2023 6:51:56 PM EDT
[#17]

Unbelievable. And the Ukiebros are the ones who are hysterical and disruptive.
View Quote

And that the Kilo sub was unharmed and fine
Link Posted: 10/6/2023 6:52:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CarmelBytheSea] [#18]
Originally Posted By birdbarian:

Look how old our SSBN carrying submarines are. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ohio-class_submarine

I saw the USS TN and PA when they came up the Intra-coastal and then the channel past the sub tender I was on, and that was a looooong time ago. B-52s haven't been built in over 60 years. I know we have a handful of B1s and B2s that are newer. I have no clue about the missiles and bombs, but I suspect many are pretty damn old too.
View Quote

For all my disdain for the EU to be fair it’s not like the US government has been some impressive beacon on the hill. Washington DC really is a shitshow circus embarrassment. People have complained about the barracks since at least 9/11. Always a day late and a dollar short if at all https://thehill.com/policy/defense/4242116-congress-raises-alarm-on-aging-military-barracks-housing/amp/
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/6/2023 6:54:56 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By fadedsun:
The situation is completely reversed (as is your usual custom).

Russia is trying to annex Ukraine.

The USA is not trying to annex Mexico.
View Quote

No mistake, the US annexed parts of Mexico as pure land grab.

The important point is that the US left that imperialistic part of our history behind, but Russia has not.
Link Posted: 10/6/2023 6:58:48 PM EDT
[#20]

View All Quotes

We keep updating them, until the new models arrive.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&opi=89978449&url=https://www.dote.osd.mil/Portals/97/pub/reports/FY2022/navy/2022trident.pdf%3Fver%3DfoTQCGHeWFAwHfqABBA5LQ%253D%253D&ved=2ahUKEwjMuZOoweKBAxWPnokEHb-LAQcQFnoECBgQAQ&usg=AOvVaw3L1fHl5y_n8CDrMHsvvRRB
Link Posted: 10/6/2023 7:05:24 PM EDT
[#21]

That is a Spartacus, Churchill, Patrick Henry level reply. Glory to the hero.

View Quote

Agreed. Worthy of the hero in your avatar.
Link Posted: 10/6/2023 7:06:13 PM EDT
[#22]

View All Quotes

Carmel, do you mean non-defense items in the DoD budget, or the rest of the US budget?

I'm not even in that world, and I've seen enough management problems to make me fear for the efficacy of DoD at carrying out its mission. IMO, this conflict has really exposed some issue, like the inventory and production capacity issues with key munitions. I hope it gets fixed, but as of early 2022, we were NOT prepared for any kind of major conflict at all. Seems like loss of focus after the cold war, "peace dividend," the culture war, and GWOT have combined to hollow out our defense, even though total spending is still quite high.

And interestingly, none of those factors have anything to do with Ukraine. That's what gets me when people complain about US depleting our own stores by sending limited military aid to Ukraine; they're actually saying implicitly that we were not at all prepared to fight any major conflict at a near-peer level. That's a far cry from what we used to aspire to in military capability.

I appreciate your insight.

As is always is; like when we sent brand-new B-17s and P-40s in an emergency reinforcement to defend the Philippines just prior to Pearl Harbor without maintenance equipment, 2nd-echelon repair components, ground-based radars or modern AAA systems to defend the bases, or even a reliable source for 100/130 Avgas; then tried to blame MacArthur alone when this failed, when it was our Governments' failure to prepare for actual war.  The US Forces in the Philippines and the Filipino forces, despite being outmatched, actually only missed meeting the objectives laid out in War Plan Orange by three days, which didn't do them a lot of good in the midst of the general strategic collapse of Allied war plans in the Pacific in the first half of 1942.
Link Posted: 10/6/2023 7:15:02 PM EDT
[#23]

Link Posted: 10/6/2023 7:15:47 PM EDT
[#24]

The important point is that the US left that imperialistic part of our history behind, but Russia has not.
View Quote

It could be argued that our last land grab was Hawai’i. All of the wars the US has fought since then have been for economic reasons, spreading democracy, or some other strange reason. And once we get tired of winning, we intentionally start losing and then leave without any actual economic or territorial gain
Link Posted: 10/6/2023 7:17:28 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 10/6/2023 7:17:31 PM EDT
[#26]

View Quote

I don't see Poland being at all willing to trade precious Patriot systems for Iron Dome, a system which isn't even comparable in terms of overall capability. David's Sling is the Israeli system most comparable to Patriot. Iron Dome would be mostly useless for Poland's needs.
Link Posted: 10/6/2023 7:19:31 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 10/6/2023 7:19:31 PM EDT
[#28]
I don't support Russia. I just don't see their actions in Ukr as our problem.
As to your comment. You obviously have a huge problem with reading comprehension

I'll leave you to your echo chamber
View Quote

If we want to live in a rules based world order, rather than a might-makes-right chaos world, then what our enemies do IS our problem.
Also Russia has been exposed as a determined adversary of the USA. The days of the idiotic "reset" are over and Russia has decided to act. We can deal with a weaker Russia now or a much stronger Russia in the near future. Sticking our heads in the sand will not make them weaker or go away.

If we have to fight Russia (based on THIER actions) would you not want 40 million Ukrainians on our side? Especially if they are willing to do ALL the fighting and dying?
Link Posted: 10/6/2023 7:23:57 PM EDT
[#29]
You know. Prigogine was Putin's creation. Flesh of the flesh. He left the St. Petersburg group and grew up following the strengthening of the president.

I never liked Prigozhin. He was rude and unnecessarily cruel to people. His whole image was repulsive because it did not fit into our usual “standards” of a good politician and businessman.

But this was all because Prigogine was a man from a different era. This is a formidable Warlord of “troubled and wartime times.” This is where his talent was revealed to its full potential.

In case anyone forgot, Prigozhin was called to the North Military District to save the situation. Because only such an evil, crazy, tough warlord could, in a couple of months, put together a super army from a small “Wagner” for 3 kopecks, the mention of which made the Poles involuntarily urinate.

And as much as I didn’t like Prigozhin as a person before, I respected him just as much as a man, a patriot, a manager, and then a politician. Prigozhin did everything that was asked of him. Fulfilled my promise.

As gratitude, Prigozhin received a raider takeover of his brainchild. This is so banal for Russia that I don’t want to waste letters.

There are 1001 myths circulating in certain circles that he is alive, left the stage because it was necessary, and so on. This is a very convenient version. I want to believe in it, and it is useful for state peace.

But regardless of whether he is alive or dead, it seems to me that he did not deserve “get drunk on whiskey and cocaine and let yourself be blown up.” Even if this were suddenly the case. It would be more correct to say that Ukrainian terrorists killed.

A strange political technology move, and an extremely unpleasant aftertaste in my soul.

https://t.me/zhivoff/11187

Link Posted: 10/6/2023 7:24:16 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By Saltwater-Hillbilly:

Well, you haven't explained the War of 1812, the War of 1898, US Support of Juarez during the French intervention of Mexico, the Monroe Doctrine, which was designed to support the overthrow of Spanish colonies in the Americas nor the Roosevelt Collaroy to the same, the numerous American interventions in Latin America, the Independence of Panama, the Louisiana Purchase, the purchase of Alaska, the colonization of the Philippines, the acquisition of American Samoa, the takeover of the Hawaiian Islands, why we bothered to seize all those little rocks across the Pacific and in the Caribbean, the Guano Islands Act of 1856, or the "Open Door" policy and the levels we went to to enforce that policy.  Other than that, you're on a roll!
View Quote

Of course, how could anyone forget the Guano Islands Act of 1856!

Saltwater, you have quite a grasp of history.

Where did you acquire most of it? College? Military? Both?
Link Posted: 10/6/2023 7:27:21 PM EDT
[#31]
Now.

because their Black Sea Fleet has to hide in the eastern part of the Black Sea and cannot stop merchant vessels from transporting grain.

Russia is also destroying Ukraine's graine export infrastructure so that they can monopolize the market in Africa as part of their strategy to colonize the continent.  
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/6/2023 7:30:10 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 10/6/2023 7:31:54 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By Brok3n:

As an Afghan and Iraq war vet myself.. I can't help but agree with your post. Our senior leadership has failed to evolve at the speed of relevance. From the USAF perspective of waste, two immediate examples that come to mind: KC-46 tanker and the T-7 trainer. The original Airbus tanker that was selected was ready to-go and proven in other air forces but instead the USAF awarded the original loser and we still can't get the damn thing in the air reliably and we just retired the KC-10 fleet from active combat service while relying on the even older KC-135 to soldier on. The trainer program had plenty of contestants with proven designs already in service.. the USAF selected a clean sheet design that's experiencing teething design issues and the program has been pushed back. It seems that every single time the USAF senior leadership is presented with a solution that's pragmatic, cost, and performance effective.. it chooses an unproven and costly clean sheet solution and then scratches its head when the program goes awry.

The very fact that we haven't even developed our own cheap, disposable, Shaheed copy to have in our inventory should be enough for a Congressional hearing (for whatever good that does). Meanwhile our supposed #1 threat in the Pacific continues to amass a dizzying array of conventional ballistic and cruise missiles with various speeds, seeker heads, warheads that can be launched from ground, sea, and air while we can't even figure out how to solve the COTS drone problem.
View Quote

Well stated.
The US tradition of generals buying shitty weapons then retiring and going directly into the MIC who provided the same shitty weapons has NOT served us well. We laugh at the "lowest bidder" jokes but just give us the lowest corrupt-influenced bidder please!!
Link Posted: 10/6/2023 7:45:09 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By ITCHY-FINGER:

Well stated.
The US tradition of generals buying shitty weapons then retiring and going directly into the MIC who provided the same shitty weapons has NOT served us well. We laugh at the "lowest bidder" jokes but just give us the lowest corrupt-influenced bidder please!!
View Quote

Cough cough Miley NGSW
Link Posted: 10/6/2023 8:09:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Prime] [#35]

🌐 Place: #Sukharevo
🗓 Date: ~03.10.2023
🇺🇦 Unit: 15 OBrAR
📌 Geolocation:
00:08 - 50.124900,37.988895
📂 Description: Destroyed radio electronic warfare station "Zhitel", a tank and a D-30 howitzer. Southeast of the village of Sukharevo, Bilhorod region.
❗️ Source

https://t.me/WarArchive_ua/5694

🌐 Place: #Batmanov
🗓 Date: ~04.10.2023
🇺🇦 Subsection: "Shadow"
📌 Geolocation: 48.186357,37.908184
📂 Description: Detection of the enemy's training ground. After the AK firing exercise, the enemy personnel executed position 200 and 300 with GMLRS. South of Betmanov village, Donetsk region.
❗️ Source

https://t.me/WarArchive_ua/5699

🌐 Place: #Verbove
🗓 Date: 10.2023
🇺🇦 Unit: RUBAK "Wild Division", 82 ODSHBr
📌 Geolocation:
📂 Description: Cutting with damage to the dugouts. In the area of ​​the village of Verbove, Zaporizhzhia region.
❗️ Source

https://t.me/WarArchive_ua/5704
Link Posted: 10/6/2023 8:12:58 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By kpacman:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By kpacman:
Originally Posted By Saltwater-Hillbilly:

Well, you haven't explained the War of 1812, the War of 1898, US Support of Juarez during the French intervention of Mexico, the Monroe Doctrine, which was designed to support the overthrow of Spanish colonies in the Americas nor the Roosevelt Collaroy to the same, the numerous American interventions in Latin America, the Independence of Panama, the Louisiana Purchase, the purchase of Alaska, the colonization of the Philippines, the acquisition of American Samoa, the takeover of the Hawaiian Islands, why we bothered to seize all those little rocks across the Pacific and in the Caribbean, the Guano Islands Act of 1856, or the "Open Door" policy and the levels we went to to enforce that policy.  Other than that, you're on a roll!

Both.  My retirement job after the "Big Green Machine" was (and is) an Adjunct History Professor!
Link Posted: 10/6/2023 8:15:26 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By Prime:
The news from the Moscow Times.
And I want to be clear, this is just today.
And I was selective, this is not all the bad news for today.

More than a million Russians became bankrupt

The number of Russians declared financially insolvent by the courts has exceeded 1 million, according to statistics from the Unified Federal Register of Bankruptcy Information.

The personal bankruptcy procedure has existed since October 2015. However, only since the beginning of this year, 249.9 thousand debtors have become bankrupt by court decision, writes RBC. Every month, 26–30 thousand people receive bankrupt status through the courts. In 2020, the number of financially insolvent citizens increased by 72.6%, in 2021 they increased by 62%, and in 2022 by 44.2%. Since the beginning of this year, the increase has been 28.8% year on year.

In the next year or two, the increase in the number of applications for judicial bankruptcy will be about 30%, says the head of Fedresurs, Alexey Yukhnin.

https://t.me/moscowtimes_ru/16137

Moscow decided to recruit Serbian mercenaries for the war in Ukraine

The Russian military is recruiting Serbian mercenaries as volunteers to take part in the war in Ukraine, the BBC found out in its investigation. The recruitment is being carried out by Serbian commander Davor Savicic, who has been fighting in eastern Ukraine since 2014.

At the meeting, the recording of which was studied by journalists, Savicic announced plans to create a full-fledged Serbian brigade as part of the 106th Airborne Division by the fall of 2023. At the moment, about a hundred people have managed to register, after which the process was suspended. Savicich also announced the recruitment of volunteers on the Soloviev Live program. According to him, his unit initially operated near Kiev, then in the Kharkov region, and after that - in the Donetsk region.

The Moscow region became the center of recruitment. Here, mercenaries are temporarily housed in a dormitory in Krasnogorsk, documents are drawn up by special notaries, and contracts are concluded in Korolev. This region was proposed as a base for them, since it could not independently cope with the set mobilization indicators.

In addition to Savicic, the leader of the biker group “Night Wolves” Alexander “Surgeon” Zaldostanov, who has connections with far-right Serbian circles, and the son of former Yugoslav President Marko Milosevic, who has been living in Russia for the last 20 years, were involved in the recruitment process, the publication’s interlocutor claims. At home, mercenaries can face up to 10 years in prison.

https://t.me/moscowtimes_ru/16138

Armenia has begun preparing a ban on Russian state propaganda

The Commission on Television and Radio of Armenia has identified violations in the broadcasting of Russian television channels, in particular “RTR-Planeta” and “First Channel Worldwide Network,” the head of the department, Tigran Hakobyan, said in an interview with Sputnik. According to him, the country periodically raises the issue of the content of talk shows on Russian channels.

“It was a political decision to give our allies the opportunity to broadcast in our space, taking into account Russia’s interest and the fact that we have a lot of Russian-speaking listeners. But I think it’s wrong to use this and present such content [with violations]. We have an absolutely free country, we just have some limits that cannot be violated,” Hakobyan noted. Earlier, MP Lusine Badalyan from the ruling Civil Contract faction proposed turning off the broadcasting of Russian TV channels due to “anti-Armenian content” that poses a threat to the country’s national security.

Official representative of the Russian Foreign Ministry Maria Zakharova expressed the opinion that attempts to ban Russian television channels in Armenia are the result of the activities of the US Embassy in Yerevan.

https://t.me/moscowtimes_ru/16141

The government returned multibillion-dollar payments from the budget to the oil barons

The Russian authorities have decided to return multi-billion dollar subsidies to oil companies from the budget in order to “put out the fire” in the fuel market, where wholesale prices have soared by 40-70% since the beginning of the year, followed by price tags at gas stations jumping to historical records.

Starting October 1, the government will return in full the payments to oil workers under the damper mechanism, which it cut in half just a month ago. According to the press service of the Cabinet of Ministers, the refusal to reduce subsidies will be part of a “set of measures” to stabilize the fuel situation.

The government is also lifting the ban on the export of diesel fuel, provided that its manufacturer sells at least half of its output domestically. For traders and intermediaries, the de facto export ban remains: a protective duty of 50 thousand rubles per ton will apply. In addition, from November 1, the standards for the sale of fuel on the exchange will increase - from 13% to 15% for gasoline and from 9.5% to 12.5% ​​for diesel fuel.

Returning the damper to its previous parameters will give oil companies about 400-500 billion rubles by the end of this year, MMI analysts estimate.

https://t.me/moscowtimes_ru/16142

The State Duma proposed taking 2% of the income of civil servants for the needs of the army

State Duma deputy Yana Lantratova proposed introducing a “voluntary charitable subscription” in Russia, under which civil servants, deputies and heads of state corporations will be able to transfer 2% of their income to the needs of the Russian army in Ukraine. Lantratova sent a letter with such a proposal to Russian Prime Minister Mikhail Mishustin, TASS writes.

According to Lantratova’s proposal, deputies of the State Duma, regional parliaments and municipal councils, civil servants holding senior positions, as well as heads of federal budgetary institutions and state corporations will be able to sign up for the “Contribution to Victory” subscription. Participation in the program should be especially recommended for those civil servants whose families’ average per capita income exceeds three subsistence minimums, Lantratova believes.

According to the deputy, there are many people in Russia who want to make their contribution to the fight for the “liberation of the residents of Novorossiya” and for the Russian future. It is proposed to transfer the money to the Defenders of the Fatherland fund, created by decree of President Vladimir Putin in April 2023

https://t.me/moscowtimes_ru/16144

Front-line cities in Russia began to be protected with the help of 178 shamans

Russian shamans asked the spirits to protect cities located near the border with Ukraine. Such rituals are held regularly, the Supreme Shaman of the Southern Federal District, representative of the Supreme Shaman of the Russian Federation, Alena Muravyova, told RIA Novosti. “We are working hard to protect our cities, which are located near the border, from the war. We are working so that there are fewer victims, so that our boys, husbands and brothers return home, so that the people of Ukraine and we are united and this all ends,” she said.

Not only front-line cities come into the shamans’ field of vision, but also those where President Vladimir Putin likes to travel. For example, Sochi is on the list - the residence of the head of state, Bocharov Ruchey, is located there. “We are holding rituals, and at the moment we are 80% sure that cities such as Sochi, Anapa, Rostov - other shamans also work there - we have closed from outside interference,” Muravyova noted.

She emphasized that the shamans “do not cause damage” to Ukraine, but only ask “for the war to end as soon as possible.” “We are not sending troubles to Ukraine, we are not harming people - we are closing Russia. We had 178 shamans working: we stood in a circle and closed our region, because we are very close to the border. We light bonfires periodically and ask that our soldiers come healthy and safe,” Muravyova said.

https://t.me/moscowtimes_ru/16151

Russians “attacked” the Internet with a question about the return of conscripts home

In September, Russians began asking Yandex with record frequency when their loved ones would return from the war. “Layout” drew attention to this. According to Yandex Wordstat, in September, users asked Yandex 134 thousand times for information “when the mobilized will be returned.” This is 51% more than in August, when there were about 89 thousand such requests, and twice as many as in October 2022, during the previous peak of requests, when there were 66.5 thousand.

Russians are also writing petitions calling for the return of those mobilized from the front. One of them, posted on September 19 by the Zemsky Defender project, collected more than 17.8 thousand signatures. It, in particular, proposes to “transfer the conflict with Ukraine into a diplomatic channel and resolve it through international mediation.”

Russians are also trying to obtain information about the possible return of conscripts from government officials at various levels. Russians are “attacking” officials’ pages on the social network VKontakte with questions. According to Vestka’s calculations, Russians have sent the most such messages in recent days to the governor of the Voronezh region, Alexander Gusev, and the governor of the Oryol region, Andrei Klychkov. In most cases, such requests remain ignored.

https://t.me/moscowtimes_ru/16152

Due to sanctions, Russian business switched to barter in trade from the 1990s

Russian business under sanctions. introduced against the backdrop of the war in Ukraine, increasingly began to turn to the practice of barter transactions. Vedomosti was told about this by sources close to large companies, as well as official representatives of the Ministry of Industry and Trade, the Federal Customs Service (FCS), the Russian Union of Industrialists and Entrepreneurs (RSPP) and several banks.

In April 2023, customs was forced to publish an explanation of the procedure for monitoring and recording barter transactions. The service representative emphasized that this step was caused by numerous requests from participants in foreign economic activity. Experts note that barter has become a necessity due to the lack of effective payment mechanisms under sanctions. Maxim Medvedkov, head of the department of trade policy at the National Research University Higher School of Economics, emphasizes that this is a forced measure that arises when the current system is insufficiently effective. However, the main problem is the lack of a market price for transactions, which leads to distortions in the assessment of customs duties.

In the 1990s, barter was widespread in Russia, but for different reasons, Natalya Volchkova, vice-rector of the All-Russian Academy of Foreign Trade, told Vedomosti. At that time there was no financial system and the banking sector was just being formed.

https://t.me/moscowtimes_ru/16153

Putin let slip about problems with one of the main missiles of Russia's nuclear triad

The Russian military-industrial complex is experiencing problems with one of the main missiles of the “nuclear triad”, designed to replace the Soviet nuclear legacy, which is rapidly turning into junk. The Sarmat missile system, which is being developed to replace the Voevoda (Satan in NATO classification) intercontinental missiles that have been in service since the 1980s, has not yet been put into mass production and has not entered service with the troops, President Vladimir Putin admitted. “We have actually finished work on the Sarmat, a super-heavy rocket. The question is  to move on to their mass production and deployment on combat duty. And we will do this in the near future,” the president said.

Development of the Sarmat missile began in 2013, and Putin promised that it would enter service with the troops in 2020. However, the warranty period for the Voevod expired in the mid-2000s, and then it was extended until 2016. It is believed that Russia has up to 40 Voevodes. But “in practice, we can count zero,” military expert Pavel Luzin told The Moscow Times: “All their deadlines have long expired.” The deadline for creating a replacement - Sarmat, or Satan-2 - turned out to be missed, and the rocket is not ready. Russia's nuclear disarmament is actually taking place. Parity in the number of speakers with the United States is an “illusion,” Luzin believes. The United States had 662 carriers as of March 2023, Russia announced 540 in September 2022. “In practice, today we can count with all assumptions a maximum of only 484,” says Luzin.

In addition to the obsolete Voevod, approximately half of the Tu-95MS strategic missile carriers, several nuclear submarines, and Topol missiles are not suitable for use, the expert lists. “The Kremlin is resisting reality,” but Russia “doesn’t need so many missiles,” he believes: “Reducing the nuclear arsenal is good for Russia.”

https://t.me/moscowtimes_ru/16154

View Quote

Barter economy with shaman protection … ok…

Link Posted: 10/6/2023 8:20:42 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By Charging_Handle:

I don't see Poland being at all willing to trade precious Patriot systems for Iron Dome, a system which isn't even comparable in terms of overall capability. David's Sling is the Israeli system most comparable to Patriot. Iron Dome would be mostly useless for Poland's needs.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Charging_Handle:

So is this just posturing? Knowing it would never be agreed to but boy we sure tried?

Link Posted: 10/6/2023 8:25:52 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By Prime:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F7uhZg4XkAA0znR?format=png&name=900x900

View Quote

What's that saying? "Electrical and Mechanical Engineers design weapsons while Civil Engineers design targets."
Link Posted: 10/6/2023 8:27:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Veccio] [#40]

It is political, not "needed for war."  If ATACMS were so vitally important why were 1,000 of the scant 2,400 not kept up to date for immediate use?

Just more after effects of 20+ years of GWOT and COIN.

ETA--There also was not a lot of political capital to be had for replacing nuclear delivery systems when many of those politicians wanted to get rid of those nukes. New START was one of those big brained ideas that some pushed forward with but as we can see now the Russians just used it to hamstring us while they secretly developed more systems like Sarmat and exercise with Yars. Putin has been setting the West up for decades.
Link Posted: 10/6/2023 8:27:36 PM EDT
[#41]
Brutal.

Link Posted: 10/6/2023 8:31:51 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 10/6/2023 8:42:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: THOT_Vaccine] [#43]

View Quote

A brief reminder that we may have run the spaniards out of parts of New Mexico, Colorado, Arizona, and California. They were never a territory of mexico, they were land grants handed out by the King of Spain. Now Texas... may have stolen Santa Anna's leg somewhere in all that.

Oh and Florida and too. I always forget that place. Sorta like the Louisiana purchase but we didn't like Spain at that point.

The King had this knack for saying "I grant you this spot on the map, and as far as the eye can see."
If your into that kind of stuff check out the Joaquin De Hinojosa land grant history.
Link Posted: 10/6/2023 8:45:49 PM EDT
[#44]
Ukraine is losing to Russia at the strategic level, Alexey Arestovich is convinced

According to him, Russia mobilized industry and established gray schemes for the supply of imported spare parts for military production, while in Ukraine there was no mobilization of industry.

“At the operational and tactical level, we fight better than the Russians, at the strategic level they are better. They have adjusted gray schemes, they have oil revenues, they have dual-use goods, they have mobilized the military-industrial complex. We have complete discord, chaos and theft, and they make quality decisions and we will take it with a spoonful.

Now combine that with the end of Western aid and you can imagine what a fun winter it will be. The President went to Spain to beg for as many as six Hawk air defense systems. 18th month of the war. Presidential business. Yes, he shouldn’t turn his head if things are going well, because this is an insignificant supply that solves little, this is not his level, he must operate in hundreds. So if it comes to this, it means that something is not well organized."

Is the Guru right or is he whipping up panic and strife? Exit poll in the comments.

https://t.me/uniannet/113473

Ukraine confiscated seven Russian fighter-interceptors

The Cabinet of Ministers approved Zelensky's proposal to withdraw MiG-25 fighter-interceptors from Russia. Seven non-flying Russian MiG-25 aircraft are still located on the territory of the Zaporozhye State Aviation Repair Plant "MiGremont" since 1994. They will be used as spare parts for Ukrainian combat aircraft.

https://t.me/uniannet/113489

These MiG-25s were sent a stack of years ago by Russia to Ukraine for major repairs. Since there was no agreement, they stayed in Ukraine. At the time of the USSR MiGremont was one of the best aircraft repair factories.

Link Posted: 10/6/2023 8:46:45 PM EDT
[#45]

There is exactly one bridge between North Korea and Russia.
https://maps.app.goo.gl/nLStTFfyPQrN1khM7

This is where I wish the USN had gifted one of our decommissioned frigates to Ukraine's Navy. That bridge is roughly 20 miles away from international waters in the Sea of Japan. A salvo of missiles from the sea could put that rail bridge out of commission.

Oh, yes, then that frigate would become a quick target for Russia's Pacific Fleet. But it's an interesting idea.
View Quote

Make it like the T62/t55 tanks that Russia was filling with explosives and running at Ukrainian lines.

Just with a full load of missiles
Link Posted: 10/6/2023 8:51:11 PM EDT
[#46]

View All Quotes

It is political, not "needed for war."  If ATACMS were so vitally important why were 1,000 of the scant 2,400 not kept up to date for immediate use?

The wing here is the oldest MM wing in the AF and has been on alert for about 61 years at this point. The AF has maintained them well but everything ages. I have absolutely no doubt that if the command is given those missiles will launch.
Link Posted: 10/6/2023 9:00:12 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By Veccio:
The wing here is the oldest MM wing in the AF and has been on alert for about 61 years at this point. The AF has maintained them well but everything ages. I have absolutely no doubt that if the command is given those missiles will launch.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Veccio:

Me too, sometimes pointing out where some money should to be used for proper upkeep of smaller details is helpful.
Link Posted: 10/6/2023 9:00:35 PM EDT
[#48]

Link Posted: 10/6/2023 9:07:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RockNwood] [#49]
I am proud to be the first to welcome US Intel agencies to the 21st century! Welcome brothers! Did your stay in the 1980s agree with you?  So happy you could all join us. Have a seat next to Captain Obvious and someone will be right with you.

US intelligence agencies believe that the Russian Federal Security Service (FSB) is attempting to influence public policy  and public opinion in the West by directing Russian civilians to build  relationships with influential US and Western individuals and then  disseminate narratives that support Kremlin objectives, obscuring the  FSB’s role through layers of ostensibly independent actors.

“These influence operations are designed to be deliberately small  scale, the overall goal being US [and] Western persons presenting these  ideas, seemingly organic,” a US official authorized to discuss the  material told CNN. “The co-optee influence operations are built  primarily on personal relationships … they build trust with them and  then they can leverage that to covertly push the FSB’s agenda.”
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/6/2023 9:21:25 PM EDT
[#50]
Funny thing is that at least the Sinaloa cartel has banned being involved in Fentanyl at all.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/other/el-chapo-s-sons-executing-their-own-drug-dealers-for-not-complying-with-new-fentanyl-ban-report/ar-AA1hLaqN
View Quote

Lol those dudes are constantly executing each other. It's lip service at best. Like the CCP jailing political rivals under the guise of anti corruption. Ain't shit changed
Page / 5592
OFFICIAL Russo-Ukrainian War (Page 4974 of 5592)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top