Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

OFFICIAL Russo-Ukrainian War (Page 684 of 5592)
Page / 5592
You Must Be Logged In To Vote

Link Posted: 3/2/2022 12:45:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Easterner] [#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By trapsh00ter99:
<atfcomelookatthis.jpg.

Give em hell brother!!
View Quote

What I can't clean my shoes and kill Russian roaches while contemplating the 4th of July?
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 12:46:03 PM EDT
[#2]

Tanslation via Twitter:

And again on the screens "the second army of the world": naked, barefoot, hungry, ragged.

Well, you are fucking going to fight, well, at least you can sew a uniform there without stealing? Army, damn it. Laughter panorama.

Link Posted: 3/2/2022 12:46:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By PurpleOtter:
So the Turks activated The Montreux Convention and closed the Bosporus to warships and so far has refused to allow the Russian Navy to transit:

Turkey rejects Russia's request for navy ships to pass Bosporus

This has got to start putting a bite in their resupply for the southern invasion effort.
View Quote

What happens if the Russians decide to go ahead & try to transit?
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 12:46:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Ryan_Scott:

MRAP? Generally yes. The uparmored MRAPs with ceramic and ERA blocks? Probably not. But those aren’t common worldwide.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By kncook:

I know the M72 LAW is insufficient on MBTs but 2.7k of them from one country would really beat up the BMPs, trucks, and Tigr-M stuff.

Would a M72 LAW defeat an MRAP type vehicle?

MRAP? Generally yes. The uparmored MRAPs with ceramic and ERA blocks? Probably not. But those aren’t common worldwide.

I don't know if it's been discussed in this thread as it's relevant to every land combat vehicle (not just MRAPs), but there's a difference between a kill and a mobility kill.

With a kill, the vehicle is destroyed, it's out of the fight entirely, and the crew is probably gone, too.

With a mobility kill, the vehicle can no longer move, and it might not be repairable, but the crew is mostly intact, and the weapons are likely still usable.

Mobility kills are still generally a good thing. The vehicle can no longer chase you or attempt to maneuver around you, and stationary vehicles tend to be very vulnerable. It also forces that vehicle's unit to make a decision to cover, recover, or abandon the vehicle/crew.

Specific to MRAPs, they're pretty good at protecting crews from IEDs, grenades, and small arms, but they tend to be pretty easy to incapacitate, at least relative to other military vehicles. They might be big and cool looking, but at the end of the day, they're just trucks, and the drivetrain components are generally not well protected at all.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 12:47:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By planemaker:

Wow, the PPP doesn't understand something, how could that be?

Mobile SAM and AA systems didn't get hit for the most part by the Russian early salvos of missiles. Obviously, neither did the man-portable systems. Further, it is very likely that NATO intel from AWACS or other airborne assets in Poland are being provided to the Ukranians and the Russians have no or limited ISR assets. If you don't know whether you're going to be eating a warhead and you don't really have a good mission to go perform, you stay on the ground.
View Quote

I kinda wish you’d confine your harassment of martin248 to the Covid forum.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 12:47:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Weirding_Module:

Somethings fucky. He lifted that like it weighs 5-10lbs max. What ordnance only weights 5lbs?!
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By M-1975:
LOL Holy shit, first tanks and now bombs.

"The gypsies communicated with the occupiers."

Somethings fucky. He lifted that like it weighs 5-10lbs max. What ordnance only weights 5lbs?!

Probably lighter if the solid fuel is spent?
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 12:48:24 PM EDT
[#7]
I've come to think Russia is holdoing back fighter planes incase NATO gets involved. Fighting NATO air assets would be a much more important use for them.  Calculating on already outnumbering Ukraine ground forces by so much that they can withstand the losses taken without committing air power.

Also they are probably aware of all the AWACs flying on other side of Ukraine border and may fear F22s and F35s they don't know about popping up and annihilating their fighters if they were over Ukraine.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 12:48:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By TONTO44:

What happens if the Russians decide to go ahead & try to transit?
View Quote

It's an act of war.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 12:49:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Bassgasm:

I don't know if it's been discussed in this thread as it's relevant to every land combat vehicle (not just MRAPs), but there's a difference between a kill and a mobility kill.

With a kill, the vehicle is destroyed, it's out of the fight entirely, and the crew is probably gone, too.

With a mobility kill, the vehicle can no longer move, and it might not be repairable, but the crew is mostly intact, and the weapons are likely still usable.

Mobility kills are still generally a good thing. The vehicle can no longer chase you or attempt to maneuver around you, and stationary vehicles tend to be very vulnerable. It also forces that vehicle's unit to make a decision to cover, recover, or abandon the vehicle/crew.

Specific to MRAPs, they're pretty good at protecting crews from IEDs, grenades, and small arms, but they tend to be pretty easy to incapacitate, at least relative to other military vehicles. They might be big and cool looking, but at the end of the day, they're just trucks, and the drivetrain components are generally not well protected at all.
View Quote

*takes notes*
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 12:49:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By cryo_tech:
The commie trash seem to really be stepping up the attacks this am.

It's too bad ukr doesn't have strike capabilities to hit targets in Russia with cruise missiles
View Quote

I’d like to see them over run Crimea and the break away regions. I want to see Baraktyar drone video of them sinking Russian ships in the harbor.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 12:49:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By outofbattery:
Sitting captured Russians next to a Great Patriotic War memorial and explaining to them that they are the Nazis since they didn’t learn history in school.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/56204/CBACF015-253B-4CB2-9EE5-EFF0824E60CD_jpe-2298475.JPG
View Quote

How do you know what they are sayng?

They are Nazis because they replicated June 22nd, 1941 and not because they "didn't learn history in school".

Link Posted: 3/2/2022 12:49:56 PM EDT
[#12]

Link Posted: 3/2/2022 12:50:52 PM EDT
[#13]
View Quote

Hey anon, can I get a deposit ?
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 12:50:58 PM EDT
[#14]

View All Quotes

I know the M72 LAW is insufficient on MBTs but 2.7k of them from one country would really beat up the BMPs, trucks, and Tigr-M stuff.

Absolutely true. I was speaking in the context of breaching the capsule protecting the occupants. Blowing the front axle up or something like it is entirely easier and sometimes almost as good.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 12:53:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By ziarifleman:

I kinda wish you’d confine your harassment of martin248 to the Covid forum.
View Quote

Pfbut pfthen pfhe pfcouldn't pfkeep pfusing pfhis pfclever Pfizer pftext.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 12:53:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RandomShooter] [#16]
Originally Posted By SmilingBandit:

Poland already has some sexy F-16s and is getting their first F-35s in a couple years.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/66085/0802BE88-33D0-4825-AB1B-8DDAC3EED450_jpe-2298614.JPG
View Quote

The f16 has been my favorite fighter since i was a kid, and those new F16Vs make me hard
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 12:53:49 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Action45:

That's huge news if true.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Action45:
Originally Posted By PurpleOtter:
Current speculation:

• NATO air assets (AWACS, F-35's, UAV's) have been coordinating the Ukraine air defense and inflicting punishing losses on the Russians
  • The Russians failed to suppress enough of the Ukrainian AAA defenses
  • The Russian air force can't get off the ground for other reasons (maintenance/readiness, logistics etcetera)

That's huge news if true.
No kidding!!
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 12:54:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 12:54:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 12:55:16 PM EDT
[#20]

She’ll them now!!!!!
View Quote

No, hit and trucks bringing in fuel or food or ammo.  Let then stew a bit.  Let them broadcast their situation for morale.

Ukraine has been very disciplined not taking bait.  I bet they are getting fantastic recom and intelligence.

Mike
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 12:57:24 PM EDT
[#21]
No military experience. Borrowed gear from a Marine friend.  
Ukraine invasion: The Brits volunteering to go to Ukraine and fight the Russians
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 12:58:06 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By realwar:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ND2k87Drs88
View Quote
They are really lacking on security, those people could pull one hell of an ambush on them.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 12:58:40 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By SheltiePimp:

Tanslation via Twitter:

And again on the screens "the second army of the world": naked, barefoot, hungry, ragged.

Well, you are fucking going to fight, well, at least you can sew a uniform there without stealing? Army, damn it. Laughter panorama.

View Quote
Is the guy in the black jacket their officer?
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 12:58:45 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By realwar:
Ukrainian Regiment "Azov" leads artillery from a drone in the village of Stary Krym near Mariupol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3fWUOWaNvo
View Quote

Is that maybe an ATGM or RPG and they are just saying it is artillery? If not, that's pretty damn accurate arty fire! And I am surprised they have that tech. Maybe we are supplying it to them? Hope so. FVP.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 12:59:07 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By martin248:

Sure, if you fly one. What you would expect is a wave. The cruise missiles took out a lot of radar. Then fly a huge wave and destroy anything that fires AA.

Some planes would be lost, but fairly quickly there would be nothing shooting back.

But that never happened and I don't understand why not.
View Quote

That would only work on fixed SAM sites and in fact has probably already happened.
The Russians do not have the capability to accurately locate mobile SAMs.  Can’t hit them if you can’t locate them.  The Ukranians are (probably) being supplied complete radar info via AWACS, so they get to choose when and what to engage.  Shoot when it’s advantageous and then get out.  Repeat.
This doesn’t even begin to address the Stinger threat.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 12:59:18 PM EDT
[#26]

View Quote
In this particular engagement might not mobility kills actually be preferable?

The unfed unsupplied conscripts are very unlikely to dig in and fight to the death. Instead I would expect nearly everyone of them to surrender or beat feet outa Dodge.

So with minimal repair most mobility kills could quickly become UKR assets.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 12:59:23 PM EDT
[#27]
Attachment Attached File

Anybody believe this? Posted by team osint telegram
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 12:59:23 PM EDT
[#28]

I think the question I have is, is this a failure of the Russian army, some gross incompetence? Or is this a technology change in the nature of warfare?

If the Russian equipment just doesn't work, or the pilots are just incompetent, they should have known that when they did all those training exercises in the weeks leading up to the invasion. It's severe incompetence on many levels if they didn't know they weren't ready, or invaded even though they knew they weren't ready.

Or it could be a change in the nature of war, in which case this war has two lessons:

#1 Tanks are no longer relevant, and
#2 Fighters are no longer relevant

Because both can be destroyed be cheap man portable devices carried by infantry or by drones.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Mad_Anthony:

Of course, but this is at some level a technical thread.

What is the reason Russia hasn't used its air power? In theory it should have flown an overwhelming number of SU's over Ukraine after the initial cruise missile strike against airfields and AA, like every other invasion in recent times.

But that didn't happen. They flew only limited sorties. That left the skies contested, and it's the reason those drones are still flying as well.

They have suffered huge losses as a result and STILL no wave of SU's. They are all sitting on the ground in Russia.

Why?

Someone touched on this last week. I heard Russian pilots don't get many actual flight training hours, probably because the Russian gov can't afford to pay for the fuel, aircraft maintenance or pilot salaries.  Then you have to consider all the air defence weapons that have been sent in to Ukraine; Russia can't afford to lose planes.

Wasn't it Longshanks who said arrows cost money but the dead cost nothing?

I think the question I have is, is this a failure of the Russian army, some gross incompetence? Or is this a technology change in the nature of warfare?

If the Russian equipment just doesn't work, or the pilots are just incompetent, they should have known that when they did all those training exercises in the weeks leading up to the invasion. It's severe incompetence on many levels if they didn't know they weren't ready, or invaded even though they knew they weren't ready.

Or it could be a change in the nature of war, in which case this war has two lessons:

Because both can be destroyed be cheap man portable devices carried by infantry or by drones.

Conducting military exercises is kind of like taking a test where you wrote the test, you take the test, and you grade yourself on the test. Whether or not the test has any value is determined on how you judge yourself. It's not hard to imagine Russia got that wrong.

Fighters are still relevant. Taking down dated Su-27s and MiG-29s with poorly trained pilots is one thing. Taking down newer aircraft with good pilots and tactics is something else entirely. Also, MANPADs have a pretty limited altitude/range. They're great against helicopters and slower fixed wing aircraft operating close to the deck, but they're not useful against fast movers at higher altitude.

Tanks are a tougher debate. They're still scary and deadly on the open battlefield, especially with good tactics and good logistics, but as it gets easier to kill them, the economics and logistics make less sense.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 1:00:15 PM EDT
[#29]
Ukrainians block roads to Russian advance of 'Europe's biggest nuclear plant'

Ukrainians block roads to Russian advance of 'Europe's biggest nuclear plant'

'Hungry' Russian Soldiers Loot Ukrainian Shops

'Hungry' Russian Soldiers Loot Ukrainian Shops
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 1:01:00 PM EDT
[#30]

View Quote
Russians stronk like bull!!!
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 1:01:03 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 1:01:27 PM EDT
[#32]

Link Posted: 3/2/2022 1:02:26 PM EDT
[#33]
Is the guy in the black jacket their officer?
View Quote

Not sure, but they are all hungry and worn out.

Ukrainians are winning hearts and minds with the treatment of POWs, hopefully, that message is getting to Russian citizens.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 1:03:15 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By Doritodust:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/470154/CAE69388-0BBB-466B-AA60-0C13F70106C2_jpe-2298670.JPG

View Quote
Considering the Belarusian LTC said it was in the thousands four days ago, I'm more inclined to believe the Ukrainian numbers.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 1:03:23 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By Doritodust:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/470154/CAE69388-0BBB-466B-AA60-0C13F70106C2_jpe-2298670.JPG

View Quote

Absolutely nonsense.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 1:03:25 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By Walleyeguy24:

Tanks are less relevant.  Fighters are still relevant, especially when you have more than a handful and can perform maintenance. Poorly trained fighters without air superiority is what Russia has now.  They can't afford to risk there handful of their best jets and pilots over contested air.

If this was a western national conducting the same war, all AA and SAM sites would be toast already.  The lack of ability to evade these sites with either stealth, or probably more relevant real time data and intelligence is the Achilles heel for Russia.  Add in the fact the Ukraine is surely getting real time updates from friendly assets.  Ukraine knows anytime a missle/rocket get launched and when a Russian fighter/bomber is airborn. Russia also lacks smart bombs in any numbers and can't afford to replace what they do have. They are saving their few working good assets for defense.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Walleyeguy24:

Or it could be a change in the nature of war, in which car this war has two lessons:

Tanks are less relevant.  Fighters are still relevant, especially when you have more than a handful and can perform maintenance. Poorly trained fighters without air superiority is what Russia has now.  They can't afford to risk there handful of their best jets and pilots over contested air.

If this was a western national conducting the same war, all AA and SAM sites would be toast already.  The lack of ability to evade these sites with either stealth, or probably more relevant real time data and intelligence is the Achilles heel for Russia.  Add in the fact the Ukraine is surely getting real time updates from friendly assets.  Ukraine knows anytime a missle/rocket get launched and when a Russian fighter/bomber is airborn. Russia also lacks smart bombs in any numbers and can't afford to replace what they do have. They are saving their few working good assets for defense.

What you're describing is the way a tiny country would operate, where they might only have 20 fighters and they can't take risks. Instead Russia has about 300 SU's within reach of Ukraine and a lot more elsewhere, including a good number of latest generation fighters. SU-34's escorted by a large number of SU-30's and SU-35's should be able to destroy any air resistance fairly quickly given those numbers.

But they didn't do that. UKR didn't shoot them down (only a couple), they remained grounded. So either they can't for logistics reasons, didn't for incompetence reasons, or won't  because they know of a real military reasons not to do so.

Also, is a SU-35 really that vulnerable to a stinger? Once the big launchers are knocked out how much of a threat is that to an advanced fighter at altitude? Honest question, as I have no idea.

Anyway, launching a huge ground operation before achieving air superiority just seems ridiculous to me so I am trying to understand why they would do that.

Almost like the Russian military is throwing the fight, maybe because they want Putin out?
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 1:03:49 PM EDT
[#37]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By spydercomonkey:
Originally Posted By Tech-Com:

Great updates.

These are the M72 EC variant which has a lower backblast for use in enclosed spaces. Penetration is reported as 450mm of RHA.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 1:04:47 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By Birddog1911:
View Quote

Do you even understand how proud I am that the Ukrainians had the first batch to help blunt the blow?

I love my little land 🇪🇪
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 1:05:04 PM EDT
[#39]
It didn’t look fired. But I’ll bet he’s strong and that thing weighs 30-40 pounds at most.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 1:06:11 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By feetpiece:

I imagine they were waiting to close the trap before unleashing the Tye D Bol man in the Black Sea:

Turkey Closes Bosphorus, Dardanelles Straits to Warships
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By feetpiece:
Originally Posted By 2tired2run:

I've been wondering why we haven't seen Anti ship missiles looks like they finally got an opportunity to use them

I imagine they were waiting to close the trap before unleashing the Tye D Bol man in the Black Sea:

Turkey Closes Bosphorus, Dardanelles Straits to Warships

They have a limited number of the Neptunes so I bet they want them to count.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 1:07:32 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By burnka871:

Absolutely nonsense.
View Quote

Maybe on the firs day
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 1:08:01 PM EDT
[#42]

I couldn't believe it, I had to look it up, its a fucking pulse jet powered drone.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 1:08:34 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By AROKIE:

What a beautiful rifle
View Quote

Yes it is! Ukraine is breaking out the brand new AKMs they’ve been stockpiling since the Soviet days. Awesome.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 1:09:02 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By Dracster:

These are the M72 EC variant which has a lower backblast for use in enclosed spaces. Penetration is reported as 450mm of RHA.
View Quote

Anything is a top attack missile if you’re brave enough.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 1:09:13 PM EDT
[#45]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By spydercomonkey:

Great updates.

Enough for a mobility kill on a T-72 MBT (seen it done)
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 1:09:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Mal_means_bad] [#46]
Originally Posted By CS223:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/470154/E251C98C-7CEA-487A-B823-649FBAC6FAB2_jpe-2298672.JPG

I couldn't believe it, I had to look it up, its a fucking pulse jet powered drone.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By CS223:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/470154/E251C98C-7CEA-487A-B823-649FBAC6FAB2_jpe-2298672.JPG

LOL, Russia is firing V-1's at Ukraine
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/2/2022 1:10:10 PM EDT
[#47]

Do you even understand how proud I am that the Ukrainians had the first batch to help blunt the blow?

I love my little land 🇪🇪
View All Quotes

I love my little land 🇪🇪

Link Posted: 3/2/2022 1:10:23 PM EDT
[#48]

I agree with everything you have said, but what I cant understand is why they havent adapted to the fight. Incompetance, pride, or part of the plan? Whatever it is, its stupid and costly.
View All Quotes

I've been out of this thread since Friday, and I'm sure I've missed some good stuff, but I've been following other sources the entire time.

The only logical explanation I can come up with is that Russia made the fairly big assumption that they wouldn't get much resistance, and they apparently bet the farm on that assumption.

Before the war, one could imagine a scenario where Russia could hit key objectives with airborne troops, thunder run in on the ground with enough supplies to last a few days, then replenish when the Ukrainian government rolls over. That's obviously not what happened.

Russia is now in a no-win scenario. We're talking about a country that HAD (past tense lol) the GDP of Italy, and they're trying to invade and occupy a large, fairly modernized nation with fierce resolve, their own troops have little to no will to fight, they've over-extended their own logistics, and the nation they're invading is receiving huge shipments of advanced weaponry. We've seen other examples of insurgencies and resistance forces backed by foreign aid before, but absolutely nothing on this scale.

The US Army (well trained, well equipped, great logistics) fighting against Jaish al Mahdi, Asa'ib Ahl al-Haq, and Kata'ib Hezbollah (poorly trained, iffy equipment) supplied by Iran (EFPs, 107mm rockets, small arms, etc) was playing the game on easy mode compared to what Russia is facing now.

I agree with everything you have said, but what I cant understand is why they havent adapted to the fight. Incompetance, pride, or part of the plan? Whatever it is, its stupid and costly.

The simple answer is most likely this: They can't.

Even if your nation is an economic and industrial powerhouse with a bad ass military, dealing with the scenario the Ukrainians are bringing to the table would be very difficult and costly. A nation experiencing an economic collapse with a sketchy military and soldiers that don't have will to fight? Nope. That ain't gonna work.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 1:10:56 PM EDT
[#49]
View Quote

Bomb or missile??
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 1:12:01 PM EDT
[#50]

I love my little land 🇪🇪
View Quote

With good reason.
Page / 5592
OFFICIAL Russo-Ukrainian War (Page 684 of 5592)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top