Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/19/2022 4:55:45 AM EDT

Outbreak - Motaba Virus (HD)

The Motaba Virus (Outbreak Explored)

Link Posted: 11/19/2022 5:06:51 AM EDT
[#1]
I think if Covid proved anything, it's that while the US response might be as diabolical evil as the one in Outbreak, it would be nowhere near as competent.
Link Posted: 11/19/2022 5:18:04 AM EDT
[#2]
I thought Contagion seemed more realistic.
Link Posted: 11/19/2022 5:25:33 AM EDT
[#3]
If it was customary to eat body parts of your deceased loved ones in america then maybe I'd be worried out ebola, but probably not.  

I still wouldn't want to catch it, doesn't seem like a very good time
Link Posted: 11/19/2022 5:27:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Seems like Ebola shows symptoms and kills too quick to be a huge threat like that.
Link Posted: 11/19/2022 5:29:24 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Seems like Ebola shows symptoms and kills too quick to be a huge threat like that.
View Quote

Yeah it tends to be very destructive to those that get it but the outbreak burns too hot and burns out pretty quickly
Link Posted: 11/19/2022 5:53:37 AM EDT
[#6]
Good book...

A highly infectious, deadly virus from the central African rain forest suddenly appears in the suburbs of Washington, D.C. There is no cure. In a few days 90 percent of its victims are dead. A secret military SWAT team of soldiers and scientists is mobilized to stop the outbreak of this exotic "hot" virus. The Hot Zone tells this dramatic story, giving a hair-raising account of the appearance of rare and lethal viruses and their "crashes" into the human race. Shocking, frightening, and impossible to ignore, The Hot Zone proves that truth really is scarier than fiction.
View Quote

MissingImage
Failed To Load Product Data

Link Posted: 11/19/2022 6:09:31 AM EDT
[#7]
The mercenary camp was pretty cool, at least before the bug, and kaboom
Link Posted: 11/19/2022 6:13:33 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
If it was customary to eat body parts of your deceased loved ones in america then maybe I'd be worried out ebola, but probably not.  

I still wouldn't want to catch it, doesn't seem like a very good time
View Quote

They proved at some point some group of native Americans were cannibals.
Link Posted: 11/19/2022 6:18:53 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 11/19/2022 6:21:35 AM EDT
[#10]
Ebola already hit the U.S. - Dallas circa 201?

Lots of drama.  As it turns out, blood-borne diseases can be avoided by not contacting diseased people's blood.
Link Posted: 11/19/2022 6:40:20 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Good book...

www.amazon.com/dp/0385479565
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Good book...

A highly infectious, deadly virus from the central African rain forest suddenly appears in the suburbs of Washington, D.C. There is no cure. In a few days 90 percent of its victims are dead. A secret military SWAT team of soldiers and scientists is mobilized to stop the outbreak of this exotic "hot" virus. The Hot Zone tells this dramatic story, giving a hair-raising account of the appearance of rare and lethal viruses and their "crashes" into the human race. Shocking, frightening, and impossible to ignore, The Hot Zone proves that truth really is scarier than fiction.

Good read.
Link Posted: 11/19/2022 7:46:29 AM EDT
[#12]
A 2 week local lockdown would actually work in an Ebola outbreak.
Link Posted: 11/19/2022 7:56:17 AM EDT
[#13]
when it spreads it can be tracked quickly enough to isolate as the host dies in days.  it then can burn out. no worries unless you get it.
Link Posted: 11/19/2022 8:04:36 AM EDT
[#14]
We have an ebola guy here.  I’m pretty sure Julianna Margulies played him in that ebola TV series.

@thebeerslayer
Link Posted: 11/19/2022 8:06:10 AM EDT
[#15]
Ebola is a flash in the pan, wouldn't spread very far.
Link Posted: 11/19/2022 8:28:39 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Good book...

View Quote

90% of DC dead?

Gonna need a lot of tissues and lotion over here.  I ??
Link Posted: 11/19/2022 8:45:26 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I think if Covid proved anything, it's that while the US response might be as diabolical evil as the one in Outbreak, it would be nowhere near as competent.
View Quote

And that well-to-do politians or the privileged strata would be the ones most likely to break quarantine protocols for selfish need while continuing to spread the virus themselves.
Link Posted: 11/19/2022 8:52:03 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

They proved at some point some group of native Americans were cannibals.
View Quote

One of the major Arizonan tribes. Forget which one, but they showed a marked transition from agricultural to cannibalism and blood sacrifice. Theory is fragments from S.American Incas or Aztecs (its been a bit since I saw the documentary) migrated north and insinuated themselves into the cultures. Everybody tried to discredit the lead archologist because they wanted to believe/push the peaceful native American trope so badly, but bone remains didn't lie. They were found chewed on and eaten, mixed with pottery to indicate stewing. Oh yeah, it got real.
Link Posted: 11/19/2022 9:14:42 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Good book...
View Quote

Watched the movie. It sucked.
Link Posted: 11/19/2022 9:22:12 AM EDT
[#20]
We would need to cover our face with T shirts and stay home for two weeks to flatten the curve

Then we’d be back to normal

Just two weeks
Link Posted: 11/19/2022 9:29:36 AM EDT
[#21]
Pre-Covid, Ebola in the USA would have been a non-issue.

Now, police state.
Link Posted: 11/19/2022 9:47:11 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 11/19/2022 9:49:58 AM EDT
[#23]
Wind shear
Link Posted: 11/19/2022 9:51:34 AM EDT
[#24]
The Cobra Event by Richard Preston gives a good representation of how this could occur and what would happen.  Very graphic.
Link Posted: 11/19/2022 10:06:16 AM EDT
[#25]
"We're in deep fucking shit Billy".

The go to line between me and my sister whenever something is a mess.
Link Posted: 11/19/2022 10:08:10 AM EDT
[#26]
We just saw what would happen if there was an actual outbreak of a deadly disease. We had an outbreak of a not-as-deadly disease, and the government did the same things it would do if it WAS a deadly disease (huge mistake), and people lost their shit. If anything, an outbreak of an actual deadly disease will be WORSE now, because now almost NOBODY will comply with any kind of mitigation strategies.

Any chance of a cohesive community response to a pandemic - or any other legitimate threat - is gone now. There is too much distrust of our government. I posted this WAAAAY back in the early days of 2020, and I think it’s more true now than ever:

If a massive enemy army suddenly appeared on our shores, launching an invasion, and the government announced this via the media and attempted to mobilize the population, America would polarize into three groups:

One group would do whatever the government asked.
One group would refuse to believe that any invasion was happening, and would refuse to do anything or support the fight in any way.
One group of would assume that since our government said the invasion was bad, it must actually be good, and would seek to join the opposing side.

And thanks to the mess that the government made over the last two years, there are now more people than ever in the second and third groups. And I’m not so sure that that wasn’t the actual intent behind that whole mess in the first place. We are weaker and less able to respond to a biological threat (or any other national threat) now than we ever were before. I don’t think that was a coincidence.
Link Posted: 11/19/2022 10:14:56 AM EDT
[#27]
The real stars of the movie were those 2 big ass St Bernard's
Link Posted: 11/19/2022 10:38:09 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
The real stars of the movie were those 2 big ass St Bernard's
View Quote

If only they were St Bernards.    They were Bernese Mt dogs.

https://www.akc.org/dog-breeds/bernese-mountain-dog/
Link Posted: 11/19/2022 10:50:04 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 11/19/2022 10:53:11 AM EDT
[#30]
Death count with no government involvement = ?

Death count with government involvement = ? plus greater more many much
Link Posted: 11/19/2022 10:58:35 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 11/19/2022 11:30:01 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Ebola is a flash in the pan, wouldn't spread very far.
View Quote

Until we get the Chyna enhanced version
Link Posted: 11/19/2022 11:40:02 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
We just saw what would happen if there was an actual outbreak of a deadly disease. We had an outbreak of a not-as-deadly disease, and the government did the same things it would do if it WAS a deadly disease (huge mistake), and people lost their shit. If anything, an outbreak of an actual deadly disease will be WORSE now, because now almost NOBODY will comply with any kind of mitigation strategies.

Any chance of a cohesive community response to a pandemic - or any other legitimate threat - is gone now. There is too much distrust of our government. I posted this WAAAAY back in the early days of 2020, and I think it’s more true now than ever:

If a massive enemy army suddenly appeared on our shores, launching an invasion, and the government announced this via the media and attempted to mobilize the population, America would polarize into three groups:

One group would do whatever the government asked.
One group would refuse to believe that any invasion was happening, and would refuse to do anything or support the fight in any way.
One group of would assume that since our government said the invasion was bad, it must actually be good, and would seek to join the opposing side.

And thanks to the mess that the government made over the last two years, there are now more people than ever in the second and third groups. And I’m not so sure that that wasn’t the actual intent behind that whole mess in the first place. We are weaker and less able to respond to a biological threat (or any other national threat) now than we ever were before. I don’t think that was a coincidence.
View Quote

Yes, if Red Dawn or Outbreak happened tomorrow, a significant portion of the population would call it fake news.
Link Posted: 11/19/2022 12:09:37 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 11/19/2022 1:00:16 PM EDT
[#35]
Nobody remembers that it did break out in Texas a few years back?  It went nowhere.

https://www.dshs.texas.gov/idcu/disease/ebola.aspx
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top