Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 151
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 12:25:21 AM EDT
[#1]
At T+1:06 there was a "flare up" in the booster plume.    I have no idea if that is normal.  It occurred possibly during engine throttle down prior to Max Q around T+1:12.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 9:33:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Starlink flight L17 seems to be having issues.   The loss of the previous flight first stage due to some possible engine system anomaly at the end of the entry burn may also be delaying the next launch.  

That is good.  A week delay?   Three months?  Better a short pause to identify and correct a possible problem than ignore it and worst case have a total flight failure.

I did see the satellites eight hours after launch.  They were in a line about one third of the apparent width of the moon.  As of a day or so ago they were in two different groups.  That may be to place them into separate orbital planes.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 10:37:21 PM EDT
[#3]
SpaceX Falcon Heavy rocket still on track for two launches this year

"Spaceflight Now reports that SpaceX’s next two Falcon Heavy rockets – both under contract with the US military – are scheduled to launch as early as July and October 2021.

Known as USSF-44 and USSF-52, both missions will see Falcon Heavy rockets launch unknown US military satellites – one directly to a circular geostationary orbit (GEO) and the other to an elliptical geostationary transfer orbit (GTO). The nature and purpose of those satellites will likely remain a mystery up to and after both launches, though their target and destination orbits may allow independent satellite tracking fans to loosely speculate, at minimum.

According to a US military spokesperson that responded to Spaceflight Now’s inquiries, Falcon Heavy’s USSF-44 launch has apparently slipped from a target of “late spring” to no earlier than (NET) July 2021 – a delay of a few weeks to one or two months. Although SpaceX still has two twice-flown Falcon Heavy Block 5 side boosters on hand from the rocket’s back-to-back April and June 2019 launches, the US military requested all new boosters for USSF-44.

Notably, the same official revealed that SpaceX and the US military are targeting October 2021 for Falcon Heavy’s USSF-52, just three months after USSF-44. USSF-44 will be Falcon Heavy’s first launch in an expendable-center-core configuration, meaning that one of the rocket’s three boosters will be intentionally expended. That means that SpaceX will need to complete, test, and deliver another new Falcon Heavy center core before USSF-52 can launch."
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 5:10:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 7:30:47 PM EDT
[#5]
What’s behind SpaceX’s $74 billion valuation: Elon Musk’s two ‘Manhattan Projects’

Elon Musk’s SpaceX is now worth $74 billion after it raised more capital last week, with strong demand from investors who believe the company’s two ambitious projects will drive that valuation even higher.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 7:33:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 7:43:28 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Pavelow16478:
View Quote

The commentators in the SN10 video feed were talking about this last night.
Said there is some type of heat shielding blanket materials at the bottom of the booster that failed.
This shielding is to dissipate re-entry heat buildup around the engines and re using them caused them to weaken.

Interesting theory.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 8:04:53 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Dagger41:

Said there is some type of heat shielding blanket materials at the bottom of the booster that failed.
This shielding is to dissipate re-entry heat buildup around the engines and re using them caused them to weaken.

Interesting theory.
View Quote

Closeup of said TPS:

Link Posted: 2/24/2021 8:48:37 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 10:07:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AmericanPeople] [#10]
1) Background info: Source

"A SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket will launch the 20th batch of approximately 60 satellites for SpaceX’s Starlink broadband network, a mission designated Starlink V1.0-L17."

2) Launch window:     3:24 AM EST (Primary) or 5:42 AM EST  (Backup)  (4 March 2021).

3) Launch Site: SLC-39A, Kennedy Space Center, Florida

4) Webcast viewing options:

a. SpaceX webcast (Starts about 20 minutes before liftoff)

b.  You Tube

5) Launch preparations:

a.  Boats heading out

1)   Source:  SpaceXFleet.com

b.  Ready for launch.  

Source:  Emre Kelly at SpaceXFleet.com

6) First stage return/disposal:   Ocean drone ship recovery (OCISLY)

7) Mission press kit:   Now online here

8) Launch to deployment events/timeline:  

Hours:Minutes:Seconds after lift-off

00:02:31   1st stage main engine cutoff (MECO)
00:02:35   1st and 2nd stages separate
00:02:43   2nd stage engine starts
00:03:06   Fairing deployment
00:06:43   1st stage entry burn ends
00:08:28   1st stage landing
00:08:46   2nd stage engine cutoff (SECO)
00:45:42   2nd stage engine restarts
00:45:43   2nd stage engine cutoff (SECO-2)
01:04:39   Starlink satellites deploy
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 10:21:41 AM EDT
[#11]
Launch weather is forecast for a 90% go tonight.

Booster recovery area is iffy though and the launch may be scrubbed because of it.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 4:01:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Launch weather is forecast for a 90% go tonight.

Booster recovery area is iffy though and the launch may be scrubbed because of it.
View Quote

That makes sense.  Why lose a multimillion dollar asset when you can wait for better conditions.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 9:12:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By AmericanPeople:

That makes sense.  Why lose a multimillion dollar asset when you can wait for better conditions.
View Quote

Well personally I would like an update.
About ready to pan fry a Porterhouse and I'd like to know if dinner can hold off for a bit.

LOL
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 9:20:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AmericanPeople] [#14]
The webcast music just started.

Fueling is well underway.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 9:22:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Dagger41] [#15]
The webcast music just started.
View Quote

Thanks.
Watching.

Clear as a bell and the Moon rising off the coast is spectacular right now.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 9:24:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Webcast is live.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 9:26:50 PM EDT
[#17]
The Moonlight will really light up  the contrail , should make it easy to follow it much longer.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 9:27:32 PM EDT
[#18]
No first stage video.   Seems odd.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 9:28:53 PM EDT
[#19]
No first stage video.   Seems odd.
View Quote

WHAT ???

Maybe they are planning on splashing it.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 9:36:18 PM EDT
[#20]
abort call at 1:24
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 9:36:26 PM EDT
[#21]
abort
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 9:36:29 PM EDT
[#22]
Launch abort at T-1:24
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 9:37:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AmericanPeople] [#23]
That should cancel for tonight.

Next try Monday at 815 PM EST.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 9:38:10 PM EDT
[#24]
Launch aborted.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 9:40:59 PM EDT
[#25]
This booster really doesn't want to fly!
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 9:42:45 PM EDT
[#26]
Well shit.

Link Posted: 2/28/2021 9:50:14 PM EDT
[#27]
HOLY SHIT!!

I'm going to be in the Titusville KOA tomorrow night.  MAN OH MAN PLEASE LAUNCH TOMORROW!!!!!
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 9:51:31 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By _disconnector_:
HOLY SHIT!!

I'm going to be in the Titusville KOA tomorrow night.  MAN OH MAN PLEASE LAUNCH TOMORROW!!!!!
View Quote

It will if they get it sorted out.

You must be at the KOA on the 50.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 10:02:12 PM EDT
[#29]

It will if they get it sorted out.

You must be at the KOA on the 50.
View Quote
Yep.

That place has *crazy* mixed reviews . . . half of the reviewers say it's nice and the other half say it's full of meth heads.  If you're local what's your view of the place?  I'm staying two nights on our drive back from Key West with my wife and 15 year old and I'd rather avoid it if it's a dump.

Link Posted: 2/28/2021 10:03:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AmericanPeople] [#30]
HOLY SHIT!!

View Quote

I hope that you get to see it.

PS.  The half that say it is nice are methheads.

I just read the reviews.  You are right about many being negative about full timers and less than clean area.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 11:10:43 PM EDT
[#31]

WHAT ???

Maybe they are planning on splashing it.
View Quote

No.  The drone ship OCISLY is there for a planned recovery.   See the location image in my mission summary above.

Maybe it is just a lack of cameras or they are concerned after the loss of the previous first stage.
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 8:45:59 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Dagger41] [#32]
Yep.

That place has *crazy* mixed reviews . . . half of the reviewers say it's nice and the other half say it's full of meth heads.  If you're local what's your view of the place?  I'm staying two nights on our drive back from Key West with my wife and 15 year old and I'd rather avoid it if it's a dump.

View Quote

I have driven past there really know nothing about it.
Jetty Park has a pretty cool campsite that is open for RV's and it is literally the closest campground to view the launch.
If you can get in you will love it.

Try calling , here is a link.

https://www.portcanaveral.com/Recreation/Jetty-Park-Campground

@_disconnector_
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 11:09:14 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 11:48:28 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 1:21:02 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 1:54:54 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 2:54:18 PM EDT
[#37]
video

Link Posted: 3/1/2021 4:03:32 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By AJE:

I was looking at their website recently, I would love to stay there for a launch.
View Quote

Stay there , sure.

Watch a launch from there ?

No.
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 8:26:47 PM EDT
[#39]
Yeah we're here at the KOA now.  It's  not too bad - there are a few section that seem a bit sketchy but the majority of the campground rates round C-.  Not too bad but not good enough to make plans to stay at on purpose again.

Yeah - the launch would be invisible form here until it cleared the treeline.  We're going to drive over to Merritt Island tomorrow to go to the Kennedy Space Center and see if we can find a place to park during the launch.
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 7:43:13 AM EDT
[#40]
Yeah we're here at the KOA now.  It's  not too bad - there are a few section that seem a bit sketchy but the majority of the campground rates round C-.  Not too bad but not good enough to make plans to stay at on purpose again.

Yeah - the launch would be invisible form here until it cleared the treeline.  We're going to drive over to Merritt Island tomorrow to go to the Kennedy Space Center and see if we can find a place to park during the launch.
View Quote

Head down to 528 and go East , take the Port Canaveral exit just before it swings South. Marina's will be on your left.
Follow the signs to Jetty park on George King Blvd.
Turn left at Jetty Park entrance and you will be at the public boat launch. Lots of parking and it's free.
There is no better public viewing  area to watch a launch.

Plus you can park at the Cove and see the sights and pick out whatever restaurant you want to grab a bite at , all of them offer great seating and views of the Port.

Welcome to Merritt Island.

Link Posted: 3/2/2021 4:56:01 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 4:59:37 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By Chokey:
View Quote

Yeah it clouded over earlier , chance rain and some sparks.
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 11:05:39 PM EDT
[#43]

Interesting theory.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Pavelow16478:

Interesting theory.
https://spaceflightnow.com/2021/03/01/component-fatigue-caused-early-shutdown-of-merlin-engine-on-last-spacex-launch/

SpaceX has concluded fatigue on an engine cover caused one of the nine Merlin 1D first stage engines on the company's most recent launch to shut down early during ascent, leading to the loss of the booster during an offshore landing attempt in the Atlantic Ocean, an official said Monday.

A hole developed in one of the covers on the Feb. 15 launch, allowing hot gas into one of the engines, according to Benji Reed, senior director of human spaceflight programs at SpaceX. Reed disclosed the findings in a press conference Monday previewing SpaceX's next crew launch for NASA, currently scheduled to fly to the International Space Station in late April.
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 12:28:01 AM EDT
[#44]
Launch in four hours (3:24 AM EST on 4 March 2021)
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 4:25:20 AM EDT
[#45]
GO, baby, GO!
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 4:34:25 AM EDT
[#46]
and another successful landing
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 4:43:04 AM EDT
[#47]
75 successful landings of orbital class boosters and 8th landing for this particular booster.  SpaceX keeps pushing the boundary of space flight.  I wonder which booster will make it to 10?
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 7:12:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AmericanPeople] [#48]
I am glad this one finally made it.   I missed the launch but am going outside to try to see the satellites pass by in 30 minutes.

I did see them.

Was it overcast or did SpaceX suppress all ground-based video of the launch?
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 9:22:06 AM EDT
[#49]
I slept through it.
So much scattered cloud I probably would have only caught a glimpse.
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 12:17:19 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 151
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top