Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 151
Link Posted: 7/12/2024 7:11:24 AM EDT
[#1]

During tonight’s Falcon 9 launch of Starlink, the second stage engine did not complete its second burn. As a result, the Starlink satellites were deployed into a lower than intended orbit.

SpaceX has made contact with 5 of the satellites so far and is attempting to have them raise orbit using their ion thrusters.

Link Posted: 7/12/2024 8:23:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Be interesting to see if this was a QA/QC issue from trying to build 4 second stages a week or an edge case that took 350 flights to pop up.
Link Posted: 7/12/2024 8:41:47 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Pavelow16478:
Be interesting to see if this was a QA/QC issue from trying to build 4 second stages a week or an edge case that took 350 flights to pop up.
View Quote
And this comes less than a month after a pad abort.  They need to worry about complacency.
Link Posted: 7/12/2024 9:57:49 AM EDT
[#4]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Are these 2nd stage elements one size fits all? Or are there mission specific ones that carry a common name like centaur does?

This almost or possible crit1 failure whatever it is determined to be may put a cramp in their current launch schedule if it effects like hardware (suspect condition).

Originally Posted By Hadrian:
And this comes less than a month after a pad abort.  They need to worry about complacency.

I still haven't seen anything released about the actual cause on that one.

Nor the last Falcon Heavy rolling back for 2 weeks.

Link Posted: 7/12/2024 10:36:06 AM EDT
[#5]
We are getting a new boat !

Link Posted: 7/12/2024 10:41:59 AM EDT
[#6]
View All Quotes

Yep, SpaceX is totally incompetent. MDS maybe?
Link Posted: 7/12/2024 10:51:18 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By RiverSwine45:

Are these 2nd stage elements one size fits all? Or are there mission specific ones that carry a common name like centaur does?

This almost or possible crit1 failure whatever it is determined to be may put a cramp in their current launch schedule if it effects like hardware (suspect condition).

I still haven't seen anything released about the actual cause on that one.

Nor the last Falcon Heavy rolling back for 2 weeks.

View Quote

Last I knew they were the same but added in extra batteries for missions with a long coast phase.  No idea how accurate that is today.

There is another Starlink launch scheduled for Sunday, we'll see if it goes.
Link Posted: 7/12/2024 11:50:26 AM EDT
[#8]

Link Posted: 7/12/2024 11:56:14 AM EDT
[#9]

Last I knew they were the same but added in extra batteries for missions with a long coast phase.  No idea how accurate that is today.

There is another Starlink launch scheduled for Sunday, we'll see if it goes.
View Quote

The extra batteries would not surprise me.   Those missions have the light gray banding to keep a propellant from freezing and there is a short nozzle version for which I do not understand the purpose.
Link Posted: 7/12/2024 12:01:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By AmericanPeople:

The extra batteries would not surprise me.   Those missions have the light gray banding to keep a propellant from freezing and there is a short nozzle version for which I do not understand the purpose.
View Quote

Forgot about the short nozzles.  Easier and cheaper to manufacture.  Take a big performance hit but that's fine for low energy missions.
Link Posted: 7/12/2024 12:05:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AZCOP] [#11]
Originally Posted By RiverSwine45:
View Quote
I think the Merlin engines are always the same, but they sometimes use different exhaust cones for some missions.
The short cone is really noticeable, but I've only seen it a few times

Edit to add: I'm watching the replay.
It looks like the exhaust cone of the Merlin isn't glowing as hot as I've seem them in the past.

Wow: Lots of fuel coming out from in front of the cone, and the foil busted.
Something I've never seen.

Not a word from the Merlin director: No 'stage two is on a nominal trajectory' talk like is normally heard.

I'm sure SpaceX is happy it happened to a Starlink launch, and not something serious, like an NROL launch.

Jay
Link Posted: 7/12/2024 12:09:02 PM EDT
[#12]
That thermal foil blew up like a birthday ballon. Whatever it's made of must be some pretty tough stuff.
I'm going with a lox pressure relief valve hanging up and getting stuck partially open.
Link Posted: 7/12/2024 1:14:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Chokey] [#13]

Link Posted: 7/12/2024 1:18:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 7/12/2024 1:31:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 7/12/2024 1:58:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By WILSON:
"fully demise"
View Quote

Yeah it sounds a bit silly. But there are a lot of dead sattelites up there.
Link Posted: 7/12/2024 4:03:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 7/12/2024 4:10:41 PM EDT
[#18]

Grounding is expected until they identify the cause and implement any corrective action.  I will guess that it won't take long.
Link Posted: 7/12/2024 6:35:53 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 7/12/2024 6:44:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Hesperus] [#20]
I'm surprised that Falcon has gone this long without any kinds of serious malfunction. Probably has some thing to do with the fact that it's so new. It still has a superb safety record compared to many other rockets.

Barring political shenanigans or World War 3 I expect that they will be back in service fairly soon. If this takes more than 3 months to iron out it would probably cause trouble.

Maybe ULA and Vulcan can pick up the slack?
Link Posted: 7/12/2024 8:29:51 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Hesperus:
I'm surprised that Falcon has gone this long without any kinds of serious malfunction. Probably has some thing to do with the fact that it's so new. It still has a superb safety record compared to many other rockets.

Barring political shenanigans or World War 3 I expect that they will be back in service fairly soon. If this takes more than 3 months to iron out it would probably cause trouble.

Maybe ULA and Vulcan can pick up the slack?
View Quote

I figure it will be flying next week.
Link Posted: 7/12/2024 8:39:55 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 7/12/2024 8:47:16 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By AJE:
Did the Boeing people pay a visit to the assembly building and poke a hole in the oxygen line?
View Quote

Or a disgruntled Spacex employee???
Link Posted: 7/13/2024 12:28:56 AM EDT
[#24]
Scott Manley
Propellent Leak Ends SpaceX's Launch Record
Link Posted: 7/14/2024 1:55:11 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Dagger41:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By AJE:
Did the Boeing people pay a visit to the assembly building and poke a hole in the oxygen line?

I was thinking that
Link Posted: 7/14/2024 7:08:23 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 7/15/2024 10:29:55 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 7/15/2024 7:39:29 PM EDT
[#28]

Ate those some pre launch weather rockets on the right?

That’s a simple fantastic shot.
Link Posted: 7/15/2024 8:04:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Chokey] [#29]
Originally Posted By FredMan:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By FredMan:

Falcon Heavy Boosters

Link Posted: 7/15/2024 8:27:07 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 7/16/2024 3:14:08 PM EDT
[#31]

Scoop: SpaceX submitted a public safety determination request to the FAA on July 15. If approved, it would allow SpaceX to resume Falcon 9 launches while the SpaceX-led investigation continues regarding the upper stage anomaly that occurred during the Starlink 9-3 mission.

"The FAA is reviewing the request and will be guided by data and safety at every step of the process," the FAA said in a statement.
Link Posted: 7/16/2024 3:18:08 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 7/16/2024 3:30:38 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 7/16/2024 3:34:37 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By Chokey:
View Quote

Good. And bad.
He will get attacked even more because he needs the Hawthorne facility for the launch and recovery operations out of Vandy.
I wonder if he is going to move Tesla out of Freemont ?
Link Posted: 7/16/2024 3:38:10 PM EDT
[#35]

Good. And bad.
He will get attacked even more because he needs the Hawthorne facility for the launch and recovery operations out of Vandy.
View All Quotes

Good. And bad.

he's just moving the corporation out of California, just like he moved Tesla out of Delaware. They'll still need the existing facilities.
Link Posted: 7/16/2024 3:39:13 PM EDT
[#36]

Good. And bad.
View All Quotes

Good. And bad.

I am sure they are maintaining mostly the presence in their existing CA facilities, just no longer the "HQ."
Link Posted: 7/17/2024 2:15:54 PM EDT
[#37]

Link Posted: 7/17/2024 2:32:48 PM EDT
[#38]
thread

Link Posted: 7/17/2024 3:24:50 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 7/18/2024 2:55:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Chokey] [#40]

Link Posted: 7/18/2024 3:25:37 PM EDT
[#41]
ASOG Headed out of Port Canaveral due East at around 9:15 a.m. today with Signet Warhorse towing it out.
Marine AIS was turned off around 11 a.m. when they were underway at about 10kts and they were about 30 miles out.
Typically takes 2-3 days to get in position for F9 booster recovery.

No official word yet but it will probably get dropped tomorrow that FAA has lifted the F9 grounding and the  Starlink  10-4 launch will take place some time this weekend.
Link Posted: 7/18/2024 4:02:58 PM EDT
[#42]
ASOG Headed out of Port Canaveral due East at around 9:15 a.m. today with Signet Warhorse towing it out.
Marine AIS was turned off around 11 a.m. when they were underway at about 10kts and they were about 30 miles out.
Typically takes 2-3 days to get in position for F9 booster recovery.

No official word yet but it will probably get dropped tomorrow that FAA has lifted the F9 grounding and the  Starlink  10-4 launch will take place some time this weekend.
View Quote

they're headed north now (as of 2 hours ago)
Link Posted: 7/19/2024 8:56:49 PM EDT
[#43]
Bob returned to PC on Jul 19 @ 1:36pm ET]

NASASpaceFlight is using 24 July 2024, 12:14 AM EDT as a possible launch time.  Slips are occurring possibly waiting for FAA approval to launch.
Link Posted: 7/19/2024 10:37:30 PM EDT
[#44]

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GStQi2NaAAA4RHZ?format=jpg&name=4096x4096
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/20/2024 7:20:55 AM EDT
[#45]
ASOG arriving at Port Canaveral, just about ready to dock and tie off.
Link Posted: 7/20/2024 12:06:11 PM EDT
[#46]
That second stage failure is why the space program needs redundant dissimilar architecture
Link Posted: 7/20/2024 12:31:09 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By Cypher15:
That second stage failure is why the space program needs redundant dissimilar architecture
View Quote

Yeah, it's just too bad that at the moment there's nothing that can compete with SpaceX's capabilities. No one else comes near their prices or launch cadence.

I do hope Rocket Lab, Stoke or Relativity can get their reusable boosters up and running. But even though they are probably all working as fast as they can. Building a new orbital rocket is never an easy thing.

Rocket Factory Augsburg says they are getting close to a launch. But somehow I doubt their little rocket will ever be flying cargo to the ISS.
Link Posted: 7/20/2024 12:39:35 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By Hesperus:

Yeah, it's just too bad that at the moment there's nothing that can compete with SpaceX's capabilities. No one else comes near their prices or launch cadence.

I do hope Rocket Lab, Stoke or Relativity can get their reusable boosters up and running. But even though they are probably all working as fast as they can. Building a new orbital rocket is never an easy thing.

Rocket Factory Augsburg says they are getting close to a launch. But somehow I doubt their little rocket will ever be flying cargo to the ISS.
View Quote
Doesnt have to be reusable.
Link Posted: 7/20/2024 2:36:23 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By Cypher15:
Doesnt have to be reusable.
View Quote

Doesn’t have to. But it seems to make everything a lot cheaper and for a much higher launch cadence than when you’re tossing a whole rocket on every flight. Those things are not cheap or easy to make. Though I understand that RFA makes their rockets to a somewhat different standard than the rest of the industry. It's basically an overgrown beer keg full of car parts.

Delta IV was originally envisioned as a relatively cheap rocket. Didn’t really turn out that way in practice.
Link Posted: 7/20/2024 3:12:18 PM EDT
[#50]
Bad ass that Elon Musk is building what could become a general-use orbital tug.
Refueling (and maybe swapping crew) from Starship would make it really useful.
Page / 151
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top