User Panel

Page / 82
Link Posted: 10/11/2021 4:47:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/11/2021 6:24:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Waldo:

Probably because Starlink is taking taxpayer money to provide rural internet access in the US.

https://www.businessinsider.in/thelife/news/spacex-just-won-885-million-in-federal-subsidies-to-expand-starlink-elon-musks-satellite-internet-project/articleshow/79616459.cms
View Quote

And the fact that someone is using a satellite passing over Sapporo somehow deprives you of that access?
Link Posted: 10/11/2021 6:41:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Klee] [#3]
Originally Posted By JVD:

Someone laid fiber in front of my house last fall. Haven't heard a peep from whoever it was. Still waiting for starlink.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Klee:
Starlink better get off their asses, an ISP just laid fiber in front of my house this past week.

Not ready for service yet but they are running fiber all over the neighborhood.

Advertised 1000 mbps down and 1000 mbps up.

Someone laid fiber in front of my house last fall. Haven't heard a peep from whoever it was. Still waiting for starlink.

For those wondering who the ISP is, here is a screenshot from their web site.

http://www.atvci.net/

Website looks straight out of 1997, when was the last time CNN's page looks like the example pictured?
Link Posted: 10/11/2021 6:50:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/11/2021 7:03:19 PM EDT
[#5]
I requested a refund. Waited since November 2020, never shipped my unit.  While they waited, AT&T put up a 5G tower within LOS of my house.

I'm on AT&T FirstNet, so I get priority traffic and unlimited data for my hotspot, at $30 extra a month for a MyFi device in my home.

I get 206MP/s off the 5G tower.
Link Posted: 10/11/2021 7:31:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/11/2021 7:48:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: NotRyan] [#7]
Link Posted: 10/11/2021 7:50:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MrZeat] [#8]
Originally Posted By RyanEsstac:

Camano Island
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By gODZOOKIE:
Is that part of wh

Camano Island

Did you ever try taking that one that was ordered for like Montana or whatever it was?

ETA: you gotta be kidding me, must be psychic
Link Posted: 10/11/2021 8:04:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: NotRyan] [#9]
Link Posted: 10/11/2021 8:26:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/11/2021 9:12:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Installed Starlink on roof after 3 weeks of being on the north deck - and a minor obscuring every 45 minutes. Starlink app loved the new location.

Now getting speeds as high as 255 down and 20 up  and averaging around 170 down and 11 up.

Out  in the Middle of the Great Northwoods at latitude 46.96.

Signed up mid-Feb, delivered 2 week of August.

Was using a Verizon hotspot for 11 years at this location prior…

I consider Elon a close personal friend now.
Link Posted: 10/11/2021 9:36:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Yeah I can get used to this...

I feel like I'm back in the 21st century.

https://www.speedtest.net/result/12170824200.png
View Quote

Oh wow that is awesome. I can’t wait for mine to come in.
Link Posted: 10/11/2021 9:46:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Still waiting...  Currently our rental is using fixed point wireless as it is the only option.  There is only one viable tower, and it is bandwidth limited.  I think we are paying $120/month for crappy internet.  ATT lost their copper in a storm 9 years ago.  They are reportedly supposed to be bringing back service via fiber someday.  Nobody wants to invest in above ground infrastructure that can be wiped out by a storm in the near future-not when the return on investment is probably 20+ years.
Link Posted: 10/11/2021 9:55:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Waiting since Feb.   Any day now.  Fucking dsl sucks.
Link Posted: 10/11/2021 11:02:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Waldo:

It doesn't, as long as they build out the ground stations and ship the limited receivers here first.  They are only producing 5K a week.
View Quote

Supposedly, they're upping there production of the ground stations a lot this fall which should be about now.
Link Posted: 10/11/2021 11:19:18 PM EDT
[#16]

Port Townsend has capacity. That's what im currently hooked up to. It's nearly the exact latitude as me too. Im only 11 miles east. But they have Whidbey and Camano both marked as at capacity. My actual Beta account that got activated today shows I won't get a dish shipped to me until the end of November.

When my second one comes I have a friend who is a year behind me in line. Hopefully it will work where he lives, he's stuck overpaying for some cell service so his kid can stream school stuff.

Now that I've got Starlink hooked up, my DSL is testing somewhat decent... but still trash.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/477522/Screenshot_20211011-170044_Chrome-2126625.jpg
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By MrZeat:
Is that part of wh

Camano Island

Did you ever try taking that one that was ordered for like Montana or whatever it was?

Port Townsend has capacity. That's what im currently hooked up to. It's nearly the exact latitude as me too. Im only 11 miles east. But they have Whidbey and Camano both marked as at capacity. My actual Beta account that got activated today shows I won't get a dish shipped to me until the end of November.

When my second one comes I have a friend who is a year behind me in line. Hopefully it will work where he lives, he's stuck overpaying for some cell service so his kid can stream school stuff.

Now that I've got Starlink hooked up, my DSL is testing somewhat decent... but still trash.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/477522/Screenshot_20211011-170044_Chrome-2126625.jpg

Hey I have Ziply. <3ms and 1g up/down, so I'm not currently the target audience, but I've used the old hewes satellite many ages ago when my dad lived in the sticks growing up. And looking for some rural property... And the tech is just fascinating.
Link Posted: 10/11/2021 11:20:39 PM EDT
[#17]
and still waiting from my pre-order 2/18/2021 .. from an archive thread
Link Posted: 10/11/2021 11:52:01 PM EDT
[#18]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By MrZeat:
Is that part of wh

Camano Island

Living on my sailboat in Port Townsend at the moment. I paid a deposit about a month ago and starlink says late 2021.

When fully marine mobile this will be an absolute game changer. Current options for marine satellite internet are way out of the realm of reality for us.  As I write this I’m using my phone as a hot spot on low data mode just to download a movie to watch tonight.  Sucks.
Link Posted: 10/11/2021 11:55:25 PM EDT
[#19]
I just ordered it today. Am I fucked?

Says mid to late 2021
Link Posted: 10/12/2021 12:18:04 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 10/12/2021 12:20:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: NotRyan] [#21]
Link Posted: 10/12/2021 12:36:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: fmj_shooter] [#22]
Central NM here. Still showing mid/late 2021

I pay $87/mo for 10mbps, but lately its been about 2mbps, so I cant even watch tv

Eta. There's a TMobile tower 1000yds away by I can't get their home internet service for some reason
Link Posted: 10/12/2021 3:33:35 AM EDT
[#23]
https://spacenews.com/spacex-to-increase-starlink-antenna-production-rate/

SpaceX plans to introduce a new version of its user terminal for its Starlink system later this year that will be less expensive to produce while also scaling up production.
View Quote

SpaceX currently produces about 5,000 user terminals a week. He said that production will increase to “multiples of that” in the next few months but did not offer a more specific production target.

The new terminal also features changes to address supply chain issues with some components. “We had some supply chain constraints, just like everybody else related to consumer electronics, for the last few months on the current dish,” he said. “We modified the bill of materials where we needed to such that we wouldn’t have those constraints when the new dish rolls out in the next couple months.”
View Quote
Link Posted: 10/12/2021 3:40:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: NathanL] [#24]
Signed up a while back since my house in MS is outside a town of 12,500 people and is the largest town in the county. Last week they laid fiber across the front of the property. Odd, but I'm not complaining.
Link Posted: 10/12/2021 3:51:09 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By billth777:
I cant wait.

3mb down and .25 up out here in the sticks.
View Quote

That's actually pretty amazing for being in the middle of nowhere. That's cable modem speed from the late 90s early 2000s and I don't mean that in a pejorative way. It'll only be getting better.
Link Posted: 10/12/2021 9:28:35 AM EDT
[#26]
I have Armstrong cable.
$68.95 for 160 Mbps DL and 12 UL.
Link Posted: 10/12/2021 9:33:40 AM EDT
[#27]
People will buy Starlink and force themselves to ignore the jitter and fluctuations because it's Elon, even if they have fiber out front for the same price or cheaper and a millions times more stable and faster.
Link Posted: 10/12/2021 12:55:03 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By dangerdan:
People will buy Starlink and force themselves to ignore the jitter and fluctuations because it's Elon, even if they have fiber out front for the same price or cheaper and a millions times more stable and faster.
View Quote

Anyone who uses satellite internet, that doesn't have to, is simply an idiot.

or doesn't care or understand anything about the quality of their connection.
Link Posted: 10/12/2021 1:01:04 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By Sovereign14er:

Says mid to late 2021
View Quote

We are approaching late 2021 so you may be fine.
Link Posted: 10/12/2021 1:56:32 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By DavidC:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By DavidC:
Originally Posted By dangerdan:

Once it's generally available with mobile dishy's it would be pretty sweet for RV/marine applications... At least so long as you don't park under trees xD.

But it's quickly looking like performance is on par and in some cases better than even really good mobile phone networks. Definitely surpassing a lot of DSL connections with maybe slightly more latency. Not going to catch up to cable/fiber level performance.
Link Posted: 10/12/2021 8:21:22 PM EDT
[#31]
No ground station in Ohio.  I volunteer my property for one.  Maybe I should tweet Elon?
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 7:37:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: David0858] [#32]
I don't see where this is going. Just covering the US isn't going to get enough customers, especially competing with Starlink, to support the business. Starlink has the whole world as a potential customer. Also, Boeing doesn't have their own fleet of cheap rockets to launch them on and I seriously doubt they'll be able to produce them cheap.

Boeing satellite broadband nears FCC approval

The FCC is considering an application from Boeing to launch and operate a satellite broadband constellation of 147 satellites. The FCC's acting chair, Jessica Rosenworcel, circulated the proposal for voting on Thursday.
View Quote

Boeing's plan involves a V-band constellation, using low-Earth orbit and highly inclined geostationary orbit satellites.

Its network will focus on the US, including Puerto Rico and the US Virgin Islands.
View Quote
Link Posted: 10/14/2021 11:23:23 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 10/14/2021 11:37:53 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By fmj_shooter:
Central NM here. Still showing mid/late 2021

I pay $87/mo for 10mbps, but lately its been about 2mbps, so I cant even watch tv

Eta. There's a TMobile tower 1000yds away by I can't get their home internet service for some reason
View Quote

even if your area shows unavailable, if you call them and tell them you want to try it they will send you a modem. I’ve helped several friends get access this way.
Link Posted: 10/18/2021 5:18:30 PM EDT
[#35]
Elon Musk’s Starlink Internet Service Set for October Launch in Greece

"Elon Musk‘s Starlink internet service’s official launch in Greece will take place before the end of the month. The Joint Ministerial Decision (JMD) for the licensing of satellite internet systems is now on its way to publication in the Government Gazette."
Link Posted: 10/18/2021 8:36:14 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By mcnizzle:
No ground station in Ohio.  I volunteer my property for one.  Maybe I should tweet Elon?
View Quote

If they built a ground station on your property, you wouldnt even need sat service anymore.  
Link Posted: 10/18/2021 8:50:36 PM EDT
[#37]
I find it ironic that the folks who really need Starlink can't post in this thread.
Link Posted: 10/18/2021 8:52:32 PM EDT
[#38]
Well, apparently we have access to a ground station.  We did not own the property during the Beta period, but we made our reservation on day 2.  What we have heard is there is a shortage of disks - so we are waiting on that...  10months so far.
Link Posted: 10/19/2021 4:59:45 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 10/19/2021 8:25:37 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 10/19/2021 8:44:24 AM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By ZW17:

Starlink is now rerouting resources to Greece while taking our tax dollars.

Pick up that can.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/19/2021 8:51:06 AM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By webtaz99:
I find it ironic that the folks who really need Starlink can't post in this thread.
View Quote

Well....I'm sure they can post. It just may take 5 or 10 min for the page to load.

I'm just wondering if Elon's definition of mid to late 2021 is different than mine.  Perhaps he's using the Amazon 2 day shipping model? That takes 8 days to arrive?
Link Posted: 10/19/2021 8:58:38 AM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By pdm:
Well....I'm sure they can post. It just may take 5 or 10 min for the page to load.

I'm just wondering if Elon's definition of mid to late 2021 is different than mine.  Perhaps he's using the Amazon 2 day shipping model? That takes 8 days to arrive?
View Quote

In general, consider his estimates on actual date as "not earlier than."
Link Posted: 10/19/2021 9:19:59 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 10/19/2021 10:32:31 AM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By ZW17:

Na, calling out the hypocrisy never gets old
View Quote
Troof!
Link Posted: 10/19/2021 4:37:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Seabee_Mech] [#46]
Originally Posted By AmericanPeople:

In general, consider his estimates on actual date as "not earlier than."
View Quote
My date already moved from "Early to mid 2021" it's now "Mid to late 2021". I'm expecting it to update to "Early to mid 2022" soon.

(This message was uploaded via HughesNet/Carrier Pigeon)
Link Posted: 10/20/2021 12:09:16 AM EDT
[#47]
I thought this little tidbit very interesting -

During the test period, Starlink will offer its services using terrestrial satellite stations available in neighboring countries, such as Bulgaria and Italy. In the second phase, it will proceed with the construction of its ground internet station in Greece.
View Quote

Whose ground stations and can other people's ground stations be used elsewhere? If so, that would open up a lot more of the world to Starlink a lot quicker with a lot less money spent to start with. The big numbers of subscribers for Starlink isn't in the developed world, it's in the third world.
Link Posted: 10/20/2021 12:18:17 AM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By Sovereign14er:

Says mid to late 2021
View Quote

I ordered it in February, still waiting.
Link Posted: 10/20/2021 8:27:03 AM EDT
[#49]

I ordered it in February, still waiting.
View Quote

Same here
Link Posted: 10/20/2021 8:31:13 AM EDT
[#50]
Page / 82
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top