Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 82
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 5:11:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: aod886] [#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By cb4017:

Same fan I bought for mine but I set it on top and let it pull air through.  I also bought a little USB adapter so I can plug it directly into the gateway.
View Quote

Care to share this adaptor?

Edit: The USB C to USB?
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 6:27:42 PM EDT
[#2]
This guy reviewed a 3D printed "trashcan lid" for the T-Mobile gateway. It comes with the fan (with USB-C connector) and lid for $25.

? SOLUTION - Cool Down Your T-Mobile Home Internet Gateway In Style!
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 6:50:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By aod886:
Care to share this adaptor? Edit: The USB C to USB?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Same fan I bought for mine but I set it on top and let it pull air through.  I also bought a little USB adapter so I can plug it directly into the gateway.
Care to share this adaptor? Edit: The USB C to USB?

Maybe this;

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=13507
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 7:01:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By 67Firebird:

Maybe this;

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=13507
View Quote

Yeah, that's it. I had to go look at my tower to understand what would be used.

I also watched that video above. Good info.
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 7:18:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By ZW17:
When they said mid to late 2021, they really meant LATE 2021.
View Quote

Mine went from saying that to now saying 2023! I put the deposit in in February of this year. WTF?
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 7:27:20 PM EDT
[#6]

Care to share this adaptor?

Edit: The USB C to USB?
View Quote

Yes, a USB C to USB.  Here is the one I got.
USB C to USB
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 7:28:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By snakesausage:
I call BS.  They have been shipping new orders to many places with instant orders or a short wait.  I have been waiting for MONTHS.  When I preordered it said it was first come first serve.

For all of us who ordered in February, read and weep:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Starlink/comments/q0136r/rstarlink_availability_thread/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3
View Quote

Can your area take more subscribers?  Right now my area can't, I was lucky and ordered in Feb and have been using starlink since May.  My neighbor ordered two weeks after me and has to wait until they have more capacity, at least that is what they are telling him.

If they only have so many dishes to ship you can bet your ass they are shipping to areas that aren't already at capacity so they can start the recurring billing immediately.
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 7:29:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Is there a customer service number for Starlink that I can call and ask W-T-F?
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 7:37:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Pushrod_Paul:
Is there a customer service number for Starlink that I can call and ask W-T-F?
View Quote

https://support.starlink.com/create-support-ticket

Link Posted: 12/8/2021 8:32:44 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By sgthoskins:

https://support.starlink.com/create-support-ticket

View Quote

Thanks. I tried that and it wouldn't let me submit it. Keeps stating "Oops, something went wrong on our end"
Not getting the warm and fuzzies about this company!
Link Posted: 12/8/2021 8:40:05 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By DavidC:
Fiber installed today.

Bye bye Starlink
View Quote

This…I have been using Starlink since feb and it has been very solid…but..the local fiber provider is expanding rapidly and claiming our area is under construction. I can pay $99 a month for 250 down and 20 up with Starlink or $50 a month for 500/500….seems like a no brainer
Link Posted: 12/8/2021 2:51:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Blasko:

This…I have been using Starlink since feb and it has been very solid…but..the local fiber provider is expanding rapidly and claiming our area is under construction. I can pay $99 a month for 250 down and 20 up with Starlink or $50 a month for 500/500….seems like a no brainer
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By DavidC:
Fiber installed today.

Bye bye Starlink

Latency and reliability alone, fiber is the way to go if it's an option. Amazing people are going from essentially the worse case connectivity medium to the best case with some of these fiber deployments.
Link Posted: 12/8/2021 2:57:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PresidentJ] [#13]
Originally Posted By Pushrod_Paul:

Mine went from saying that to now saying 2023! I put the deposit in in February of this year. WTF?
View Quote

Seems obvious it is cell dependent. However there are people who have gotten their orders bumped to mid to late 2022 than had their orders shipped per Reddit. My current estimate is early to mid 2022 with my fresh order (I had refunded my February order a back in July) when I was given a alternative. But my alternative sucks still.

I still don’t have a fiber option. Closest I have is wireless option for 120/ month 2 year contract and a 250 dollar plus option for an antenna. If they do get a actual fiber than to me it’s no brainer but for so many people fiber is not going to happen anytime soon. My current cable company sucks at 16 down / 1 up which itself would be tolerable except the constant drops which can be hours at a time (and it’s all over town not just me). Again my small town has 1-2 fiber connections and they are constantly being cut or disrupted taking out the entire towns Internet. I still have gone a long way though. When I moved to my house 7 years ago my original options were 1 megabyte down for cable or 1.5 for dsl.  I feel for the people who are still living in these sub par speeds or dealing with Hughes/ viasat
Link Posted: 12/8/2021 3:02:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 12/8/2021 3:03:33 PM EDT
[#15]

View Quote

I am getting current Starlink performance with T-Mobile for $50/month.  I never signed up for Starlink and it is not being developed to support people with cable internet.
Link Posted: 12/8/2021 3:06:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 12/8/2021 3:07:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PresidentJ] [#17]
Originally Posted By RyanEsstac:
Remember they also discontinued gen 1 dishy and modem, and started a new production line of gen 2.   There could have been some hiccups getting that up and running. They may have saved some of the last gen 1 dishys for low user cells.

Has anyone even received a gen 2 dishy yet?
View Quote

Yes there are pictures on Reddit. I know the gen 2 dishy had some improvements. A lot lighter, half the cost and seems to use less energy.

Also ability to go outside your cell with dishy would be revolutionary for the rv industry. Still curious about other possible applications such as cell phones. Drive 15 minutes from me and you could have no cell phone connection, and mobile applications. We lose cad data on emergency vehicles depending on where you are in the county.
Link Posted: 12/8/2021 3:37:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Zam18th] [#18]
Originally Posted By AmericanPeople:
Starlink apparently has a limit on customers in a given cell (area).  If your cell is full, you may have to wait until  more satellites are launched or capacity of new satellites improves.

If a new cell/area is opened up for service in another country, certainly someone can get their dish before you.
View Quote
Yep. It makes perfect sense when you think about it.  These sats are in LEO not GEO, meaning that they are constantly moving by and need to be spread out evenly around the orbits to provide constant service to a location. Because they have to be spread out, they can't be focused in locations with high numbers of users. So the number of users the constellation can support in a cell is essentially the same for every cell beneath an orbital path.

When you look at it from the company point of view, because the number of satellites is limited early on, once certain cells hit the limit of users then you have to stop delivery of user terminals to those cells and deliver them to other cells along the path. That's the only way they can continue increasing revenue until they get more satellites up and can raise the user limit per cell.  That's why you see other countries getting dishes while we wait. It isn't because they're screwing us, it's because you have to distribute the users just like the satellites. You want the satellites providing services (generating revenue) for as much of their orbit as possible. You certainly don't want them dormant for half their orbit and then overloaded in other parts of it.

I'm sure that's a very oversimplified and hamfisted explanation. Hope it makes some sense and helps some of you guys waiting for your dish and getting frustrated.
Link Posted: 12/9/2021 12:47:51 AM EDT
[#19]
I got my gen 2 today. It’s been up and running for less than an hour. My best speed reading is 311 down, 15 up.
Was getting .5 down earlier today.
I can’t express how relieved I am. My quality of life just improved substantially.
That being said. I will kick Starlink to the curb in a couple years when fiber makes its way out here.
Link Posted: 12/9/2021 12:54:14 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Aspp:
Ordered 2/21/21
Shipped out yesterday, so hopefully I'll get it Saturday
East Central California, Fresno County
View Quote
Box showed up at the house today, of course I'm 600 miles away for work.
Link Posted: 12/9/2021 12:58:37 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 12/9/2021 1:28:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AmericanPeople] [#22]
Originally Posted By fluwoebers:
I got my gen 2 today. It’s been up and running for less than an hour. My best speed reading is 311 down, 15 up.
Was getting .5 down earlier today.
I can’t express how relieved I am. My quality of life just improved substantially.
That being said. I will kick Starlink to the curb in a couple years when fiber makes its way out here.
View Quote

Pictures?

Of the Antenna and router.
Link Posted: 12/9/2021 1:42:41 AM EDT
[#23]
Add me to the Starlink arfcom users - finally got my order completed and kit is arriving next week. Preordered it in February.
Link Posted: 12/9/2021 1:54:03 AM EDT
[#24]

I am getting current Starlink performance with T-Mobile for $50/month.  I never signed up for Starlink and it is not being developed to support people with cable internet.
View Quote

I'm getting 250 down and 50 up most of the time with a Sprint/T-Mobile HotSpot from Calyx Institute for less than $50/month. They have a newer 5G hotspot available now. Right now it's only 178 because I'm streaming HD tv on my Projection TV  and using my tablet. Not bad considering that it's only 4G and I'm 25 miles from the nearest town
Link Posted: 12/9/2021 3:44:26 AM EDT
[#25]
I am really enjoying starlink

I like that it works in all weather.  So far. Unlike  the satellite TV  Didn't  have to put it on my roof or chop down any trees Oh Joy
Link Posted: 12/9/2021 4:35:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: NotRyan] [#26]
Link Posted: 12/9/2021 5:16:49 AM EDT
[#27]
we were an earily order - we just got pushed back from late 2021 to fall 2022 I think.  Meanwhile, we just tested a different cellular system...  It worked exceptionally well at my brother-in-law's house in Houston - but when he tried it near Galveston it was severely hobbled.  Where the house is in Bolivar - the only system available is a poorly run point to point cellular.  That provider is saying they are going to put in fiber - but it will probably take years as they are trenching the fiber for some reason.
Link Posted: 12/9/2021 11:13:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Lightfighter] [#28]
I've been waiting patiently for nearly a year. Now it says March.

Here is my performance with Viasat. But at least its expensive! :)

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/9/2021 11:35:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: colossians323] [#29]

@colossians323

Which location state is being shipped?  I'm in Northern NV.  Delivery date was pushed back to the middle of next year.
View Quote

Northern NV

Best internet ever had in a house in 21 years.  Living in the country there normally is no cable or fiber optic.
I only set it up last night, but so far, I am quite pleased with it.  Running it through paces now.
It really is a game changer for us dumb country bumpkins
As far as t mobile goes, one location has no t mobile service and the other is nominal, went that route once and Starlink (for me) by far kicks its ass.

As stated before, I think iit is a saturation deal.  If there is no starlink in your area, I believe you get it faster, if there are beta testers already, you're sol
Link Posted: 12/9/2021 2:28:02 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 12/9/2021 2:31:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 221B] [#31]

Didn't realize viasat actually had decent download speeds.
View Quote

I am surprised too. That latency though...
Link Posted: 12/9/2021 2:37:12 PM EDT
[#32]
Got my gen 2 the other day.

Has NO ETHERNet Jack you have to buy an adapter. Or wifi adapter for desktop.

Works good though 100+ mb vs 3.
Link Posted: 12/9/2021 2:38:24 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By Lightfighter:
I've been waiting patiently for nearly a year. Now it says March.

Here is my performance with Viasat. But at least its expensive! :)

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/139/Snip20211209_1_png-2197537.JPG
View Quote

That’s light years better than what my mifi shit is.

With a $500 booster I can now almost reliably send picture messages. Streaming is still Impossible.
Link Posted: 12/9/2021 2:44:50 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By 221B:

I am surprised too. That latency though...
View Quote

The latency makes the download speed almost useless for streaming. It really is a problem.
Link Posted: 12/9/2021 7:57:26 PM EDT
[#35]

The latency makes the download speed almost useless for streaming. It really is a problem.
View Quote

Really?  I would think it would buffer a bit, but then streaming should be fine.  

Latency is normally an issue for data that goes back and forth, like gaming, web conferences (Zoom, Skype), VOIP and the like.  Latency shouldn't have a terrible impact on downloading/streaming stuff.
Link Posted: 12/9/2021 8:09:58 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By fettesbrotde:
Add me to the Starlink arfcom users - finally got my order completed and kit is arriving next week. Preordered it in February.
View Quote

and yet I preordered at the same time as you and I get:

"Starlink expects to expand service in your area by mid 2022." from starlink website.

Link Posted: 12/9/2021 8:33:11 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By Orion_Shall_Rise:
Got my gen 2 the other day.

Has NO ETHERNet Jack you have to buy an adapter. Or wifi adapter for desktop.

Works good though 100+ mb vs 3.
View Quote

They sell a adapter on the starlink website for 20 bucks. But yea that is a big difference in the two generations of dish.
Link Posted: 12/9/2021 10:38:22 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By DaTrueDave:
Really?  I would think it would buffer a bit, but then streaming should be fine. Latency is normally an issue for data that goes back and forth, like gaming, web conferences (Zoom, Skype), VOIP and the like.  Latency shouldn't have a terrible impact on downloading/streaming stuff.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By DaTrueDave:
Really?  I would think it would buffer a bit, but then streaming should be fine. Latency is normally an issue for data that goes back and forth, like gaming, web conferences (Zoom, Skype), VOIP and the like.  Latency shouldn't have a terrible impact on downloading/streaming stuff.

Streaming just stops dead with Viasat/Excede. I've tried it several times, and it doesn't work.

An example of buffering is trying to watch Youtube videos; Click it, it'll give you the loading circle for about 20 seconds, then the video will play for about 3 seconds. Then it freezes and goes back to the circle, so you click pause and wait about 30 seconds. That's usually enough to front load that suggested video bar, so after closing that you can click play. At that point I normally get about 1 minute before it freezes again.
Link Posted: 12/9/2021 11:36:41 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By 67Firebird:

Streaming just stops dead with Viasat/Excede. I've tried it several times, and it doesn't work.

An example of buffering is trying to watch Youtube videos; Click it, it'll give you the loading circle for about 20 seconds, then the video will play for about 3 seconds. Then it freezes and goes back to the circle, so you click pause and wait about 30 seconds. That's usually enough to front load that suggested video bar, so after closing that you can click play. At that point I normally get about 1 minute before it freezes again.
View Quote

I totally believe that it sucks, I just don't think it's the latency that is doing it.  Latency is the measure of the time it takes a packet of data to make a one way trip.  Geosynchronous sats are always going to have high latency because the data has to travel 40,000 miles one way.  But, theoretically, streaming is one way data and triple digit latency only adds a second or two to the amount of time it takes for the data to start flowing.  Once you've told it what to start streaming, and the streaming starts, the latency shouldn't matter much.

If you want to think of the internet of a series of pipes (and who doesn't), think about if the pipe is empty.  Latency measures the amount of time it takes for water to get from one end of the empty pipe to you.  Once the water starts flowing, though, that amount of time no longer matters because new water replaces the water already delivered to you on a continuous basis.  Now it's the throughput (bandwidth) of the pipe that matters when you're trying to stream.  Every time you change to a different type of data (when you click on a different video, different webpage, etc...), you'd be dealing with an empty pipe again.
Link Posted: 12/10/2021 12:44:48 AM EDT
[#40]
Too deep for me.

All I can say for sure is that it doesn't work; I can't begin to discuss the details of why it doesn't work.
Link Posted: 12/10/2021 1:16:12 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 12/10/2021 11:35:48 AM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By Aspp:
Ordered 2/21/21
Shipped out yesterday, so hopefully I'll get it Saturday
East Central California, Fresno County
View Quote
Got a Dishy 2, installed last night. 221 down and 31 up, my best ever out of Hughsnet was 30 down and 5 up, normally its under 10 down and 1 up.
Very easy and fast setup, getting in the attic and running the cable down a wall was the biggest pain in the ass.
Looked at outage data overnight, had a 2 min window where it was searching for a satellite and a 2 second gap all after midnight. I can live with that.
I'm impressed.
Link Posted: 12/10/2021 9:47:27 PM EDT
[#43]

Just set it up. It was the new rectangle one.

150 down
39 up

Very easy to set up.
Link Posted: 12/13/2021 5:27:12 PM EDT
[#44]

Exactly. Your description is spot on.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Zam18th:
Starlink apparently has a limit on customers in a given cell (area).  If your cell is full, you may have to wait until  more satellites are launched or capacity of new satellites improves.

If a new cell/area is opened up for service in another country, certainly someone can get their dish before you.
Yep. It makes perfect sense when you think about it.  These sats are in LEO not GEO, meaning that they are constantly moving by and need to be spread out evenly around the orbits to provide constant service to a location. Because they have to be spread out, they can't be focused in locations with high numbers of users. So the number of users the constellation can support in a cell is essentially the same for every cell beneath an orbital path.

When you look at it from the company point of view, because the number of satellites is limited early on, once certain cells hit the limit of users then you have to stop delivery of user terminals to those cells and deliver them to other cells along the path. That's the only way they can continue increasing revenue until they get more satellites up and can raise the user limit per cell.  That's why you see other countries getting dishes while we wait. It isn't because they're screwing us, it's because you have to distribute the users just like the satellites. You want the satellites providing services (generating revenue) for as much of their orbit as possible. You certainly don't want them dormant for half their orbit and then overloaded in other parts of it.

I'm sure that's a very oversimplified and hamfisted explanation. Hope it makes some sense and helps some of you guys waiting for your dish and getting frustrated.

Exactly. Your description is spot on.

Thanks. Glad I didn't mangle it too much.
Link Posted: 12/13/2021 5:30:36 PM EDT
[#45]
I have been using it for my SD-WAN connection to an MPLS network for the last two months and since April for my own load balanced network and I have to say it has been impressive so far.
Link Posted: 12/17/2021 1:29:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: NotRyan] [#46]
Link Posted: 12/17/2021 1:47:09 PM EDT
[#47]
Local electric co-op pulled fiber to my service line today unannounced. Supposed to finish the pull underground to my house in around 30 days. Been on that waiting list for 3+ years. Starlink was bumped from late 2021 to mid 2022 so looks like fiber will win the race for me. I was betting on starlink as when everyone else was posting about getting bumped mine held at late '21 forever until I got bumped 2 weeks ago. The fiber project had been delayed too and we were reprioritized to the back of the line multiple times for more densely populated areas.
Link Posted: 12/17/2021 1:54:39 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By tabraha:
Local electric co-op pulled fiber to my service line today unannounced. Supposed to finish the pull underground to my house in around 30 days. Been on that waiting list for 3+ years. Starlink was bumped from late 2021 to mid 2022 so looks like fiber will win the race for me. I was betting on starlink as when everyone else was posting about getting bumped mine held at late '21 forever until I got bumped 2 weeks ago. The fiber project had been delayed too and we were reprioritized to the back of the line multiple times for more densely populated areas.
View Quote

While my retarded power company partners with a more retarded wifi ISP.
Link Posted: 12/17/2021 1:56:51 PM EDT
[#49]
This website is cool, it shows all current starlink sattelites, and if you put your location in, it shows which ones are in range for you to use. It also shows all of the ground stations.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/477522/Screenshot_20211217-092747_Chrome-2207323.jpg
View Quote

Not a single satellite over Texas just a moment ago.  Still a ways to go...  
Link Posted: 12/17/2021 8:39:05 PM EDT
[#50]
What are the ground stations for?
Page / 82
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top