Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 82
Link Posted: 1/8/2022 5:32:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: fender_fella] [#1]
Can I take a Starlink satellite camping and get internet anywhere?  I mean, is it tied to my address or is it mobile?

Also, is it a contract or month to month subscription?
Link Posted: 1/8/2022 6:00:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Skillshot:

Assuming you didn't move...how is that possible? I hadn't looked at the coverage map in a while. Niiiiice!
View Quote

We applied to be a beta test house a while back. About a month ago, we got accepted and shipped the  equipment.

It works really well.
Link Posted: 1/8/2022 6:07:59 PM EDT
[#3]
One of my neighbors recently got Starlink as well.

His dish points in a different direction. I found that interesting.
Link Posted: 1/8/2022 7:35:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By fender_fella:
Can I take a Starlink satellite camping and get internet anywhere?  I mean, is it tied to my address or is it mobile?

Also, is it a contract or month to month subscription?
View Quote

I have heard discussion about making it mobile but that is not a done deal at this point.  When that happens the thread title will be updated to reflect that...for a while.
Link Posted: 1/9/2022 12:22:55 AM EDT
[#5]
I ordered Starlink on 1-2-22 and after seeing the wait times others are experiencing I thought I made messed up. Just got a email saying my kit shipped today.
Link Posted: 1/9/2022 5:31:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: NotRyan] [#6]
Link Posted: 1/9/2022 7:23:30 AM EDT
[#7]
The real test is if there's a natural disaster. I get 20Mbps from 4g but any sort of emergency and it drops out to sms only.
Link Posted: 1/9/2022 8:40:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By 90xt:
I ordered Starlink on 1-2-22 and after seeing the wait times others are experiencing I thought I made messed up. Just got a email saying my kit shipped today.
View Quote

This is the shit that pisses people off.  I know it has to do with cells and coverage but when you've been waiting almost a year it sucks.
Link Posted: 1/9/2022 2:30:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Seabee_Mech] [#9]
Originally Posted By mcnizzle:

This is the shit that pisses people off.  I know it has to do with cells and coverage but when you've been waiting almost a year it sucks.
View Quote
"Get in line early, first come first served..." *

* (Some terms and conditions apply)

I know the feeling, I signed up for the Beta test well over a year ago and put down a deposit the moment I received the email saying I was eligible (1st week of Feb 2021) only to see the estimated availability date kicked down the road twice.

It really sucks when you're in an area that pretty much has zero options for high speed internet outside of something crappy like HughesNet, especially when you watch people that "Got in line" behind you and have multiple choices for high speed internet get hooked up with Starlink ahead of you. So, I'll just be standing in line over here --->. My current "Estimated availability date" is still saying "Feb 2022" so a few more weeks to find out if I can put my order in or if the can gets kicked further down the road.

ETA: To add insult to injury, HughesNet just raised the rates on their crappy service.
Link Posted: 1/9/2022 5:15:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/9/2022 7:44:03 PM EDT
[#11]
I read a couple of replies about the ethernet adapter, is this something that comes with the star link package? Do you need this adapter to connect to your home network?

Is the package you receive from Starlink just good for one computer connection (hard wire)?
Link Posted: 1/9/2022 7:59:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: fmj_shooter] [#12]
Originally Posted By CJ7365:
I read a couple of replies about the ethernet adapter, is this something that comes with the star link package? Do you need this adapter to connect to your home network?

Is the package you receive from Starlink just good for one computer connection (hard wire)?
View Quote

@CJ7365

Starlink comes with a wifi router for whole home wifi use. You need the adapter to use your own 3rd party router, a mesh system, or if you need anything hard wired Ethernet. The supplied router has no Ethernet port.
Link Posted: 1/9/2022 9:06:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CJ7365] [#13]
Originally Posted By fmj_shooter:

@CJ7365

Starlink comes with a wifi router for whole home wifi use. You need the adapter to use your own 3rd party router, a mesh system, or if you need anything hard wired Ethernet. The supplied router has no Ethernet port.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

@CJ7365

Ok thanks for the clarification, I was trying to find something on the star link website, but could not find it.

Really don't give a shit about paying for one, but you would think it would come in the package, I cannot even order one right now because I don't have a ship date for the dish.
Link Posted: 1/9/2022 9:08:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JoseCuervo] [#14]
Originally Posted By ZW17:

At least a fellow American got it.
View Quote

ZW, I love your sarcasm, but I do wonder, is Musk, SpaceX, and/or Starlink a net positive, or a negative, in the end game?

Link Posted: 1/9/2022 9:11:06 PM EDT
[#15]

View Quote

Seems odd.  My T-mobile Gateway has two ethernet slots and both are being used.  One because I cannot find wifi capability on my desktop.
Link Posted: 1/9/2022 9:34:52 PM EDT
[#16]

Ok thanks for the clarification, I was trying to find something on the star link website, but could not find it.

Really don't give a shit about paying for one, but you would think it would come in the package, I cannot even order one right now because I don't have a ship date for the dish.
View Quote

I spend a few days reading reviews and Starlink FAQ stuff.

And yeah. I think it was part of their cost saving measures from this year. Supposedly Starlink was losing money on the hardware sold to beta customers.

My point is, yes they're nickel and dime-ing. It is recommended that Starlink be mounted on a roof or elevated pole, but comes with neither mount.
I had to cough up 40 bucks to mount it to my current dish pole.
Link Posted: 1/9/2022 9:37:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By AmericanPeople:

Seems odd.  My T-mobile Gateway has two ethernet slots and both are being used.  One because I cannot find wifi capability on my desktop.
View Quote

I think it's a cost saving measure? They are removing a component that some folks won't need and just making others spring for the $20 adapter.

TMobile isn't likely losing 100's of dollars on each hotspot.
Link Posted: 1/9/2022 9:40:44 PM EDT
[#18]

And yeah. I think it was part of their cost saving measures from this year. Supposedly Starlink was losing money on the hardware sold to beta customers.

My point is, yes they're nickel and dime-ing. It is recommended that Starlink be mounted on a roof or elevated pole, but comes with neither mount.
View All Quotes

Yeah, I am going to mount it to my DTV pole as well, hell with putting holes in my roof.

I just ordered a wifi adapter for my desktop, just in case i can't get the Ethernet adapter in a timely matter
Link Posted: 1/10/2022 11:29:20 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 1/10/2022 1:45:16 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 1/10/2022 1:55:42 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By JoseCuervo:

ZW, I love your sarcasm, but I do wonder, is Musk, SpaceX, and/or Starlink a net positive, or a negative, in the end game?

View All Quotes

Kazakhstan wouldn't have been able to cut off the internet if everyone was on Starlink or something like it.
Link Posted: 1/10/2022 2:00:20 PM EDT
[#22]

Kazakhstan wouldn't have been able to cut off the internet if everyone was on Starlink or something like it.
View All Quotes

Once Starlink gets the sats all with the laser links and you don't need a local ground station, Starlink will be the hottest black market item in the world.
Link Posted: 1/10/2022 2:15:29 PM EDT
[#23]
@Kitties-with-Sigs
Link Posted: 1/10/2022 2:24:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Rosta97] [#24]
Can anyone explain this to me in layman’s terms?  It seems like there is coverage in my area based off the map.

Over a year since I got on the list. With it now saying late 2022. Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/10/2022 2:36:40 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 1/10/2022 2:47:39 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By RyanEsstac:

Are there any sattelite in range to you location you could communicate with?

Red lines in this picture show the sattelite my dish could theoretically communicate with.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/477522/Screenshot_20220110-103527_Chrome-2235704.jpg
View Quote

I guess not. Seems the closest ones are further north.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/10/2022 7:09:45 PM EDT
[#27]
I went ahead and paid the $99 deposit. Says late 22 or early 23 so I have a year to get a refund if I change my mind.
Link Posted: 1/10/2022 7:26:20 PM EDT
[#28]

View All Quotes

watching the reviews, this modem gets higher marks, because the transformer on the other one gave out frequently.

Originally Posted By fmj_shooter:My point is, yes they're nickel and dime-ing. It is recommended that Starlink be mounted on a roof or elevated pole, but comes with neither mount.

I had an old dish on my house from the previous owner and bought this for
less than $5.00 and used on my existing mount
1 of these

And 2 of these for added stability

Link Posted: 1/10/2022 7:33:41 PM EDT
[#29]
My gen1 dishy mounted nicely on a directv wall mount post to my roof. Just get some 1” self-tapping metal screws and zip them in, the screws will squeeze down the diameter to the dishy post and hold it rock-solid.
Link Posted: 1/10/2022 7:53:34 PM EDT
[#30]
Do you have to supply your own cats to keep the dish warm?

Link Posted: 1/10/2022 11:58:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: fmj_shooter] [#31]
Originally Posted By akpostal:
Do you have to supply your own cats to keep the dish warm?

https://soyacincau.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/01/210110-cats-starlink.jpg
View Quote

Out here you'd find all manner of creature on one if you ground mounted. My buddy have had an antelope sleeping under the heat coming from his window AC one summer.

Eta. I wonder if there is a similar problem with birds on roof mounting setups.
Link Posted: 1/11/2022 2:46:35 AM EDT
[#32]

View Quote

The exact loss may never be known but it may have been at  least $500 and up to $800 per user.   Not trivial so you can see why cost savings with recent user equipment is not reaching the customer.
Link Posted: 1/11/2022 2:52:05 AM EDT
[#33]
SpaceX Starship Could Be Ready To Launch Starlink Gen2 System Satellites As Early As March

Big caveat.   I don't believe this article.   Even if it came from SpaceX they tend to grossly misjudge when things will happen.

"In the letter submitted on January 7, SpaceX revealed that Starship could be ready to launch Starlink Gen2 System satellites as early as March.

The Starship launch vehicle will be capable of deploying up to 400 Starlink satellites during a single launch which will enable SpaceX to build the constellation at a much faster rate to rapidly expand internet service coverage."
Link Posted: 1/11/2022 4:09:18 AM EDT
[#34]
I got mine setup a week ago.  It was shipped before Christmas but FedEx had to get out from the backlog.  
It is everything people are saying.   Insane fast, and can easily run three HD video streams at once.
No issue running with the built in WiFi.  Most devices run on 5GHz but at the far end of the house they are 2.4GHz.  
Right now it is on a redneck lashup on top of my camper.  I got the wall mount and will be mounting it to the gabel end of my house.  When I do that I'll be centrally mounting the router.
Link Posted: 1/11/2022 5:06:59 AM EDT
[Last Edit: theskuh] [#35]
SpaceX Starship Could Be Ready To Launch Starlink Gen2 System Satellites As Early As March

Big caveat.   I don't believe this article.   Even if it came from SpaceX they tend to grossly misjudge when things will happen.

"In the letter submitted on January 7, SpaceX revealed that Starship could be ready to launch Starlink Gen2 System satellites as early as March.

The Starship launch vehicle will be capable of deploying up to 400 Starlink satellites during a single launch which will enable SpaceX to build the constellation at a much faster rate to rapidly expand internet service coverage."
View Quote

yea def optimistic but a lot of the complications with starship is mostly in reuse and landing. If they are just tossing them up to orbit without worry of landing the starship then it seems a little more doable this year. Just add them as test payload like the tesla. Though making the starship cargo door and deployment mechanisms are still to be seen on a completed ship.

I bet they will send some up by the end of the year. It all depends on how much risk they want to take but I don't see them strapping 400 of them on a starship in the beginning. But we are getting real close to a full stack launch.
Link Posted: 1/11/2022 5:59:56 AM EDT
[#36]
I got my gen 2 kit a few weeks ago. I was not happy to see that I could not use my own WiFi router. I had to order the Ethernet adapter which is still backordered and an extended mount. The mount is stuck a big city 1 hour from me.

No ideas when the Ethernet adapter will ship so for now, the kit sits in its box.

Link Posted: 1/11/2022 11:21:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AmericanPeople] [#37]
Originally Posted By theskuh:

yea def optimistic but a lot of the complications with starship is mostly in reuse and landing. If they are just tossing them up to orbit without worry of landing the starship then it seems a little more doable this year. Just add them as test payload like the tesla. Though making the starship cargo door and deployment mechanisms are still to be seen on a completed ship.

I bet they will send some up by the end of the year. It all depends on how much risk they want to take but I don't see them strapping 400 of them on a starship in the beginning. But we are getting real close to a full stack launch.
View Quote

Even if they launch a small batch this year, where will they launch them from?  If they go into a 53 degree inclination orbit that would require a huge  launch dogleg or inclination change from Boca Chica.  Will they have a basic launch capability from Florida this year?

What I dislike is that the FCC forced SpaceX to pick only one launch vehicle for Gen 2 Starlink.  That is unAmerican and I see to reason for the FCC to do that.
Link Posted: 1/11/2022 11:50:24 AM EDT
[#38]

What I dislike is that the FCC forced SpaceX to pick only one launch vehicle for Gen 2 Starlink.  That is unAmerican and I see to reason for the FCC to do that.
View Quote

That's one case where Spacex was most definitely in the wrong. Orbit and spectrum allocations are a very limited resource and need to be managed.  The FCC got tired of companies requesting allocations and not using them simply so their competitors couldn't either. They mandated that you have to use it or lose it. Spacex's problem is Falcon9 and Starship would launch Starlinks into different orbits. They requested both mutually exclusive orbits knowing they wouldn't use one. FCC rightfully told them to pick the one they were actually going to use.
Link Posted: 1/11/2022 11:53:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AmericanPeople] [#39]
Originally Posted By Nodak_Cruffler:

That's one case where Spacex was most definitely in the wrong. Orbit and spectrum allocations are a very limited resource and need to be managed.  The FCC got tired of companies requesting allocations and not using them simply so their competitors couldn't either. They mandated that you have to use it or lose it. Spacex's problem is Falcon9 and Starship would launch Starlinks into different orbits. They requested both mutually exclusive orbits knowing they wouldn't use one. FCC rightfully told them to pick the one they were actually going to use.
View Quote

Incorrect.   SpaceX already has multiple orbits approved (various inclinations and altitudes).   It is how they get there that they want two options.

It would be like DoT telling you that you can only get to your vacation home using one of your two vehicles.
Link Posted: 1/11/2022 12:00:33 PM EDT
[#40]
I thought about putting a deposit down to use at our farmhouse that’s in the middle of now where. Also have a future homesite about a miles from the farmhouse. Local co-op just notified us they are running fiber to every electrical meter that wants it. Surprise surprise since we can barely get cell signal there.
Link Posted: 1/11/2022 12:07:32 PM EDT
[#41]

Incorrect.   SpaceX already has multiple orbits approved (various inclinations and altitudes).   It is how they get there that they want two options.

It would be like DoT telling you that you can only get to your vacation home using one of your two vehicles.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Nodak_Cruffler:

https://spacenews.com/spacex-goes-all-in-on-starship-configuration-for-second-gen-starlink/
This has nothing to do with the launch vehicle and everything with actually using your allocation. Spacex has dropped its F9 request on the second shell and plans to be all Starship. F9 will continue on the current shell.
Link Posted: 1/11/2022 12:20:53 PM EDT
[#42]

The exact loss may never be known but it may have been at  least $500 and up to $800 per user.   Not trivial so you can see why cost savings with recent user equipment is not reaching the customer.
View Quote

Definitely not trivial when they plans to make millions of them. Musk is all about production optimization.
Link Posted: 1/11/2022 1:22:37 PM EDT
[#43]
Anyone here having issues getting into your account at starlink's website? The shop page won't load either.
Link Posted: 1/11/2022 9:12:48 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By Spacejunk:
Anyone here having issues getting into your account at starlink's website? The shop page won't load either.
View Quote

No problem getting into mine
Link Posted: 1/12/2022 1:29:58 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 1/12/2022 2:02:29 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 3:39:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Kitties-with-Sigs] [#47]
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 6:35:32 AM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By Kitties-with-Sigs:
We have to now make a decision.
Our ATT DSL has been the slowest of the slow for years.  One of the reasons I'm online in the middle of the night is.....I can actually get bandwidth.

I put the deposit on Starlink this time last year.  

Got the email in November (I think) that we were bumped back to mid-2022.

Three weeks ago, big spools of fiber appeared up and down our road. It's one of those grants for rural internet I think. They dug it into the field across from us last week.

*Monthly, it will cost about the same as Starlink for the high speed (which I may not need--I've never had truly fast internet so I dunno)--maybe a few dollars more because I'm sure they will add on all the taxes and fees that always come with any comm service.  

*We have not been told the installation/equipment costs for the fiber, or if there will be contracts.  I'm hoping not, since it's a telecom company (not one that previously served our area) in conjunction with the local rural electric co-op.

*I think we are going to regularly lose service because the farmers are going to dig up the cable. (The farmer across the road has dug into our water main four times in the past five years.) I watched them lay the cable. It's not very deep, and it's in the edge of the cropped area. In other places it's in the drainage ditch less than a foot from the asphalt (rural road--huge articulated equipment on tracks always in those ditches to let cars go by)   I have no idea what kind of intervention it will take to fix one of those big orange cables with a gazillion hair-like threads of glass inside, but I doubt it's going to be quick.  (I'm NOT techy, FYI.)

*I've no idea whether there will be data limits or throttling or any of the other stuff that goes with these things.

*I have not climbed on the roof with my phone to check the Starlink app.

Here's the available info.  

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/118038/fiber_speeds-2238688.jpg

Since Starlink will send the "we've shipped" notice without checking with me, and we don't have a timeline for when the fiber will be active, these two services are gonna cross in timespace and cause a dimensional tear for us.

Basically, Ima have to choose and I don't know which one.  I know Fiber is faster, cuz I've read this whole thread.  All of it.

I'm not sure, having lived with snail-like speeds up til now, that I need 1000 of anything.  

Non-techy Kitties is non-techy.

Thoughts are welcome.

View Quote

Starlink is a no contract service and if your local fiber is the same, really in balance is the $500 in Starlink gear vs long you are willing to wait for fiber.

We had promises of fiber for 5 or 6 years now. I jumped on the Starlink almost a year ago and happy I did, now it looks like fiber will actually show up for us in the next few months, I will switch to fibre…it’s cheaper and faster than Starlink and I will just eat the equipment cost.

For a good portion of 2020, myself, the wife worked from home, kid did college from home, MIL streamed her foreign channels all on a DSL connection which sucked

For a good portion of 2021 we did the same off of Starlink which was well worth the $500 equipment charge for me
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 6:42:03 AM EDT
[#49]
How is starlink ping ? Does it allow gaming ?
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 9:55:44 AM EDT
[#50]
Page / 82
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top