Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 82
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 8:36:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By tabraha:
Echostar is such garbage I use an LTE hotspot with 1 weak bar and trounce it. I'm super rural but that 1 bar is sent from heaven so I don't have to use their crap! We're pretty much the target of Starlink but have to wait patiently to see it reach this far south. Want to see some more falcons with 60 sat payloads. This 10 sat with rideshare is slowing me down!
View Quote

Just wait till Starship starts launching Starlink sats
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 8:37:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By Atomic_Ferret:

The launch yesterday or the day before was interesting.
I had no idea that SpaceX had a "rideshare" program.

Basically they sell slots as a "we are launching on X date, ready or not". If the slots all fill up, cool. If they don't, they backfill that space with Starlink satellites.

They are giving people cheap orbital rates in exchange for their help subsidizing the deployment of their own birds.. Wicked smaat [Boston accent]
View Quote

On boosters that have been used multiple times.

I'm so buying SpaceX stock if it goes public.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 8:42:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Crappy Layout, but here's a cut and paste from the Customer Support FAQ page for those interested

How will I get my Starlink Kit?
Your Starlink Kit and any additional mounts will be shipped via FedEx or DHL. Due to high order volumes, your Starlink kit and Shop orders may take up to 4 weeks to arrive. At this time, no expedited shipment options are available. If there has been a delivery issue, please contact our Support team using "Add Request" on this page.
I want to change my contact information
In your Starlink Account, you can change your contact information by clicking the pencil icon next to your current contact information.
I am moving and want to bring my Starlink service to my new location
Starlink is currently only intended and warranted for use at the Service Address listed on your account at the time the order was placed. If you are moving, please contact the Support team using "Add Request" on this page for assistance.
I can't set my account password
Make sure your password has at least 12 characters. If you forgot your password or are having issues logging in, please go to  https://auth.starlink.com/ and click the "Forgot Password" link to reset your password.
I want to cancel service
Please log in to your Starlink Account Home page where you will see a "Cancel Service" button. This will start the service cancellation process. Your Service will remain active until the end of the payment period. Service will be cancelled for future billing cycles.
I am having issues with initial setup & getting online for the first time
Make sure everything is plugged in correctly: the cables from your Starlink and Wi-Fi router should both be plugged into the power supply, and the power supply should be plugged in to an indoor, grounded, 3-pin AC outlet that receives power. Match colors: black cable to black port, white cable to white port.

When correctly connected and plugged in, you should see both lights on the power supply turn solid white.

Within 60 seconds of powering on, your Starlink should automatically level itself. From here, your Starlink will search for satellites overhead. Once it makes an initial connection to the Starlink constellation (typically within 15-30 minutes), your Starlink will tilt itself. You can now connect to the network name on the back of the Starlink wifi router to complete setup and get online.
Warning: ensure your hands and other objects are out of the way. Do NOT attempt to manually adjust your Starlink.

If you're still not online, troubleshoot as follows:
Check the Wi-Fi router light:
Blinking white = receiving software update or booting up. Wait for software update to complete. If this lasts longer than 1 hour, contact Support using "Add Request" on this page.
Red = not connected. Check your Starlink's field of view using the  Starlink App (iOS) (Android). If you still cannot get online, contact our Support team using "Add Request" on this page.

Once the system has successfully established an internet connection, you should see the Wi-Fi router light turn solid white. You are now connected to the network!

If you are unable to connect to the Wi-Fi router or get online after following these steps, reboot Starlink by unplugging and re-plugging from the power outlet. Follow the Wi-Fi router light indicators above, confirm your connection. If you still cannot get online, contact Support using "Add Request" on this page.
I do not have the equipment I need to install
Double-check the hardware you received in your Starlink Kit. You should have received the following items. If you are missing hardware in your kit, please contact Support using "Add Request" on this page.
Starlink
Wi-Fi router
Power Supply
(3) Cables
Mounting Tripod

You may need additional hardware if you are doing a supplementary mount installation. This may include the following items:
Method of accessing your roof/mounting location (ex. ladder)
Phillips screwdriver or power drill with Phillips driver bit.
Wrench that can accommodate 1/2" nut.
You can navigate to shop.starlink.com to review full installation guides and select the mount that works best for your installation. For additional questions about your specific installation and roof requirements, review your Terms of Service and consult a roofing professional to ensure a safe and secure installation.
I have no internet, but I was online previously
If your router light is solid white, you should be getting service from the Starlink system. Use the steps below to troubleshoot. If your router light is red, off, or pulsing white, proceed directly to step 2.

Try accessing another website (starlink.com or example). If this works, your issue is likely website-specific, not a Starlink issue.
Try accessing the internet with another device (mobile phone, tablet, laptop). If this works, your issue is likely device specific, not a Starlink issue. You may need to check the WiFi settings on the problematic device, or contact your device manufacturer. Be sure your device is running on the latest software version.
If these do not work, or you do not have an alternate device to test, proceed to step 2.

Make sure Starlink and your WiFi router are correctly plugged into the power supply, and that the power supply is plugged into an indoor, grounded, 3-pin AC outlet that receives power.

If you are safely able to do so, visually inspect your Starlink. Check to see if it's still installed correctly or if there's anything obstructing its field of view, such as trees, awnings or other tall obstructions. If your Starlink has been dislodged or has obstructions and you are safely able to reinstall it in a different location or clear obstructions, try that. You can download the Starlink App (iOS) (Android) to check that your Starlink has a clear view of the sky.

Check the condition of your cables. Be sure your cables remain free of kinks, debris, or door-jams. Please also keep in mind the cable running from the Starlink Dish to the Power Supply is not rated to be buried or under water. Starlink uses a specially designed power over ethernet cable, and damages to the cable could impact your quality of service. Verify the connectors are secure in the power supply, and reach out to the Support team if you encounter damage.  

If this still doesn't work, try unplugging and replugging. Wait 20 minutes to see if you can connect. If not, contact Support using "Add Request" on this page.

If your Starlink is correctly installed, there are no obstructions and you've tried all steps above, contact Support using "Add Request" on this page.
My internet is slow or intermittent
Try accessing another website (spacex.com for example). If this works, your issue is likely website specific, not a Starlink issue. If this fails or continues to load slowly, continue.

Try accessing the internet with another device (mobile phone, tablet, laptop). If this works, your issue is likely device specific, not a Starlink issue. You may need to check the Wifi settings on the problematic device, or contact your device manufacturer. If this does not work or you do not have an alternate device, continue.

If you are safely able to do so, visually inspect your Starlink. Check to see if it's still installed correctly or if there's anything obstructing its field of view, such as trees, awnings, or other tall obstructions. If your Starlink has been dislodged or has obstructions and you are safely able to reinstall it in a different location or clear obstructions, try that. . You can download the Starlink App (iOS) (Android) to check that your Starlink has a clear view of the sky.

Check the condition of your cables. Be sure your cables remain free of kinks, debris, or door-jams. Please also keep in mind the cable running from the Starlink Dish to the Power Supply is not rated to be buried or under water. Starlink uses a specially designed power over ethernet cable, and damages to the cable could impact your quality of service. Verify the connectors are secure in the power supply, and reach out to the Support team if you encounter damage.  

If correctly installed and no obstructions, contact Support using "Add Request" on this page.  
Does Starlink have a WiFi router administrator portal?
Currently, the Starlink WiFi router does not have a way of granting access to the administrator portal. If you would like to change your SSID (Network ID) and password after you have already established a connection please follow these steps:

Press the reset button located on the bottom of your Starlink WiFi router.
Wait for the LED to turn solid white.
Look for the default Network ID located on the back of your router beneath the Ethernet port.
Match it with the list of available WiFi connections you see on your device and connect.
Once connected, a web page will pop-up prompting you to change your SSID (Network ID) and password
How do I contact Support?
Customer Support is available 7AM-8PM PST Monday-Friday and 8AM-5PM PST Saturday. The best way to reach our Support team is by contacting us using "Add Request" on this page.
Please note, we are currently experiencing higher volumes in support request at this time. Our teams are making every effort to resolve requests as quickly as possible. We appreciate your patience and continued support during Better Than Nothing Beta!

How do I change my address?
Starlink is only approved for use at the Service Address you provided when you signed up on starlink.com. When placing your initial order, you will have the option to select a different Shipping Address to receive your Starlink packages. If your Service Address has changed, please contact our Support team using "Add Request" on this page.
How do I download the Starlink App?
You can download the Starlink App here: (iOS) (Android)
I want to see my Billing History
In your Starlink Account, select "Billing" to see your billing statements and payments.
How does recurring billing work?
Starlink monthly subscription services are billed automictically each month to the card on file. As soon as we generate a statement for a subscription charge (we currently do this 7 days prior to due date) you will receive an email notice for upcoming payment. As billing is automatic, there is no action needed on your part, the email is simply a reminder for upcoming charges to your card.
Your billing date each month is determined by the day your Starlink Kit shipped. For example, if your Starlink Kit shipped on the October 2nd, you would be billed on the 2nd of each month. This cannot be changed at this time. Your first monthly bill will be 30 days after your Starlink Kit has shipped so that you have time to receive and install Starlink.

I received a "Payment Failed" email
You will receive a "Payment Failed" email each time payment is not successfully processed. If this happens, please confirm the billing information in your account is accurate. If you are receiving this email in error, please contact the Support team by clicking "Add Request" on this page.
Where should I install Starlink?
Starlink needs a clear view of the sky to ensure the best quality service. Your Starlink needs to be able to "see" every part of the sky so that it has the best opportunity to connect with passing satellites. A good rule of thumb: if your Starlink is not the tallest object in sight, download the Starlink app (iOS) (Android) and use the Check for Obstructions Tool to confirm your Starlink will have a clear field of view before you install. Check the field of view of the physical installation site from the perspective and height of your Starlink dish before permanently installing. We suggest using the front facing camera to be sure there are no obstructions in the entire circle. The better your field of view, the better your service!
How do I install Starlink?
Starlink needs a clear view of the sky to ensure the best quality service. Your Starlink needs to be able to "see" every part of the sky so that it has the best opportunity to connect with passing satellites. You can download the Starlink app (iOS) (Android) and use the Check for Obstructions Tool to confirm your Starlink will have a clear field of view before you install. Check the field of view of the physical installation site from the perspective and height of your Starlink dish before permanently installing. We suggest using the front facing camera to be sure there are no obstructions in the entire circle. The better your field of view, the better your service!

Depending on your chosen installation location, you may want to purchase a supplemental mount on the Starlink Shop, especially if you plan to install Starlink on your roof. You can find more information about mounts, installation requirements, and additional tools or materials you'll need within the Starlink Shop. We plan to offer additional mounting & installation options in the future. For additional questions about your specific installation and roof requirements, review your Terms of Service and consult a roofing professional to ensure a safe and secure installation.  If you have questions about mounting & installation, please contact our Support team using "Add Request" on this page.

Once your Starlink is safely installed, proceed with plugging everything in according to the guide in the box. Your Starlink should automatically level itself within 60 seconds. Then, your Starlink will search for satellites overhead. Once it makes an initial connection to the Starlink constellation (typically within 15 minutes), your Starlink will tilt itself. Do NOT attempt to manually adjust your Starlink. You can now connect to the network name on the back of the Starlink wifi router to complete setup and get online.  
How should I route my cable indoors?
Many homes have vents or other pass throughs which offer a great existing solution to pass the cable from the exterior to the interior. Look around your home to determine if you already have a good option first. Be sure your cables remain free of kinks, debris, or door-jams. Please also keep in mind this cable is not rated to be buried or under water. Starlink uses a specially designed power over ethernet cable, and damages to the cable could impact your quality of service. Check out the Cable Routing Kit, designed for customers with prior internet cable routing experience and installation. This resource provides the hardware necessary to pass the cable through the wall.
How is Starlink certified?
The Starlink system is designed to meet all safety standards related to exposure to radio frequency (RF) fields applicable to consumer electronics. The RF fields Starlink creates are in line with those created by other consumer equipment with wireless functionality.
What do the lights on my WiFi router mean?
Solid white - connected
Red - no connection - download the Starlink app (iOS) (Android) for guidance
Pulsing white - receiving software update or connecting
Blue - briefly shown when the router is manually reset
Does the WiFi router have any Ethernet (LAN) ports to connect wired devices?
Yes, the WiFi router does have one Ethernet (LAN) port. It is labeled as AUX and may be used to connect wired devices (TVs, PCs, smart devices, etc.). If you need more than one Ethernet port, you can buy an Ethernet switch to create additional ports.
What are the WiFi router specifications?
The Starlink WiFi router meets IEEE 802.11a/b/g/n/ac standards as broadcasted on 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands. The Starlink WiFi router is technically capable of supporting up to 128 connected devices and supports MU-MIMO (Multi-User, Multi-Input, Multi-Output technology). This technology allows the router to communicate with multiple devices at the same time. Note, the Starlink router is intended to be placed in the upright position and is only warranted for use indoors.
How can I improve my WiFi connectivity?
Your router should be centrally located in your home, near where you most often use your devices (mobile phone, tablet, computer).  If the device you are using to connect to Starlink is not 5GHz compatible, it will automatically connect on the 2.4 GHz band, which is more susceptible to interference.  Interference has many causes - but common in-home causes of interference include proximity to microwaves, refrigerators, and metal, concrete, or brick between your WiFi router and device.  If you notice poor signal in certain areas of your home, you can analyze your WiFi connection using common 'WiFi Analyzer" applications available on the internet.
How do I ensure my devices are compatible with Starlink?
Most devices should be able to connect to Starlink. To ensure best performance, you should keep the hardware, software, and browsers of the devices you use as up to date as possible. Consult with your device manufacturer for the latest updates.
What is your return policy?
If you are not 100% satisfied with Starlink, you can return the full Starlink Kit within 30 days from the date of receipt in the same condition you received it, in original packaging. A full refund is determined pending our verification of its condition upon return. To initiate a return, please log in to your Starlink Account and select the Cancel Service option.
Homeowner’s associations, landlords, and local governments
The law prohibits anyone—including your state, local government, or homeowner’s association—from delaying, preventing, or unreasonably increasing the cost of installing, maintaining or using your Starlink antenna on property that is within your exclusive use or control. See  FCC and Cornell Law  Information for more background.
Can I use my own WiFi router with the Starlink service?
Yes, you should be able to use Starlink with your own WiFi router. That said, SpaceX cannot guarantee system compatibility with non-SpaceX equipment
Can I paint or cover my Starlink?
The white face of your Starlink is a hydrophobic film that is optimized for improving your internet speed during rain and snow over the lifetime of the product. Paint or coatings will decrease performance of the Starlink in rain or snow and may cause the Starlink to overheat. We do not recommend covering or enclosing your Starlink, as it will degrade the signal quality.
Once there are more satellites deployed, how important will it be to have an absolutely obstruction-free view of the sky?
You should think about communication between your Starlink dish and the satellite in space as a 'skinny beam' between Starlink and the satellite. So, as the satellite passes quickly overhead, if there is a branch or pole between your Starlink and the satellite you will usually lose connection (note - obstructions generally cause outages and not reduced speeds). The Starlink team is working on some software features that, combined with the growth of our constellation, will reduce the amount of clear sky needed to maintain a continuous connection so obstructions will be less impactful.
Can I use my Starlink for travel?
Starlink is currently only intended and warranted for use at the Service Address listed on your account at the time the order was placed. Our teams are actively working to make it possible to use your Starlink away from your Service Address, but for now we can only offer service at the intended location. If you require additional assistance, please contact the Support team using "Add Request" on this page.
How long is the cable and can I extend the length?
The cable connecting your Starlink to the power supply is a specially designed power over ethernet cable that is 100ft (30.48 meters) in length. We do not recommend adding any extensions, as we cannot guarantee the same quality of service. For extra length, you can opt for an extension from the router, our recommendation would be a Cat5E Cable or above. For more information on routing your cable, you can check out tips under "How should I route my cable indoors?"
Can I assign a Static IP Address?
Currently Starlink can only provide Dynamic IP addresses.
Can I add a 3rd party router or mesh system?
We cannot guarantee Starlink performance or compatibility with 3rd party routers. However, you are welcome to try and connect your own equipment to Starlink. Please be aware that the Starlink router does not have bridge functionality. Additionally, the Starlink App may not work as expected with 3rd party routers.
What security method does the Starlink Router use?
The Starlink router uses WPA2 security. Older security standards will not function with the Starlink Router.
How do I port forward on the Starlink Router?
The Starlink router does not have the capability to forward ports.
How can I switch between WiFi bands?
The Starlink Router is designed to automatically pick the WiFi band with the best connectivity at any given time.
How does Starlink handle snow?
Your Starlink has Snow Melt functionality, which allows your Starlink to automatically use the power it draws to heat itself to melt the snow off the dish. This feature helps to prevent impacts on service, while also preventing the need for you to get on the roof to remove the snow from your Starlink. However, heavy snow accumulation on the top of your Starlink dish could have impacts on your service. If your Starlink is completely covered with heavy snow, this would most likely result in an intermittent connection or in no service at all. With that in mind, we recommend that you install your Starlink in a location that will not be buried in the snow, or on areas of your home where snow is not known to build up.
Is Starlink water repellant?
Yes, Starlink is hydrophobic and has a low affinity to water.
Does my Starlink rotate and tilt?
Your Starlink does rotate as well as tilt. Both actions will occur until your Starlink locates the optimal direction and angle to connect to the Starlink satellite network.
Can I unplug my Starlink overnight?
There is no harm in shutting your Starlink down at night. Simply unplug your Starlink and plug it back in when you are ready to use it! You should expect your Starlink to go through the initial boot up sequence when you plug your Starlink back in.
How does Starlink choose activate locations?
Starlink satellites are scheduled to send internet down to all users within a designated area on the ground. This designated area is referred to as a cell. Your Starlink is assigned to a single cell. If you move your Starlink outside of its assigned cell, a satellite will not be scheduled to serve your Starlink and you will not receive internet. This is constrained by geometry and is not arbitrary geofencing.
How can I check my Field of View?
In order to improve the time and quality of your connection, we would recommend installing your Starlink at a location with a clear, unobstructed view of the sky. Install your Starlink at the highest elevation possible, where it is safe to do so, with the clearest view of the sky. Use the "check for obstructions tool" in the Starlink app to find an installation site with the clearest view of the sky. Check the field of view of the physical installation site, from the perspective and height of your Starlink dish, before permanently installing. We suggest using the front facing camera, and titling your phone around, to be sure there are no obstructions in the entire circle. The better your field of view, the better your service!
Can I Mount the Starlink Horizontally?
We advise mounting your Starlink within 40 degrees of vertical so it can reach its optimal angle to connect with the satellites. Mounting your Starlink in a horizontal position, like on the side of your chimney, will not allow it to operate.
What do I do if my router is not setup correctly?
If you encounter any issues during the setup of your router, you can reset your router by gently pushing the button on the bottom of the router until the light turns blue and release. The router will take a few minutes to reboot. Please note, this reset will require you to set a new Network ID and Password. If this does not resolve the issue, please contact support by clicking "Add Request" on this page. For more information on LED light indicators, see "What do the lights on my Wi-Fi router mean?"
What will I receive?
You will receive everything you need to get online in your Starlink Kit, including a Starlink, Wi-Fi router, power supply, cabling, and a mounting tripod that allows you to install Starlink in locations such as your lawn, patio, or porch. For additional mounting options please visit shop.starlink.com
Why does my order status say Pending?
Orders will show the Pending status up until they leave our factory. Once your Starlink kit has shipped, you will receive an email that includes a Tracking Number. You can check the status of your shipment using the FedEx and DHL websites.
When does my billing start?
Per the Starlink Terms of Service, your monthly payment for Starlink begins on a recurring basis starting 14 days after SpaceX ships your initial Starlink kit. At this time we have extended this to 30 days to account for shipping or installation delays. Should you have any questions on those terms, please review the Terms of Service linked on your Customer Account on the home page directly underneath our available Starlink Mount options. If you have any further questions, or need any additional information, please contact our Support team using "Add Request" on this page.
I want to change my billing information
In your Starlink Account, select "Billing," then select the pencil icon to make adjustments to your billing information.
Can I pause service?
At this time your Starlink subscription can only be cancelled, not paused. While you may keep your Starlink kit upon cancellation, we cannot guarantee you will be able to reactivate your service in the future due to regional capacity constraints.
When will I receive my refund?
Pending our verification of your Starlink’s condition upon return, it takes approximately 2 business days for this refund to be processed and 3-7 business days to show up in your account depending on your bank and payment type.
How do I submit feedback during Beta?
We appreciate any feedback that our customers can share. As we are still in Beta, we welcome any opportunity to improve Starlink and our systems. You will receive surveys via email that will be sent out by our team. To submit any additional feedback, outside of those surveys, please contact the Support team using "Add Request" on this page. Title the request as Feedback.
How do I stow my Starlink for return?
For instructions on how to Stow your Starlink for return, please navigate to the Starlink App. On the home screen click support> click additional resources> click stow. This will command your Starlink to stow itself for packaging. If your Starlink is not connected to the App, please see below for instructions on how to manually stow your Starlink.
1. Make sure dish is plugged in. Wait at least 5 minutes for it to auto-level if it wasn't previously plugged in.

2. Take the dish out of the mount

3. Hold it by the stem, facing outward (90 degree angle to your body)

4. Wait 20-30 seconds. It should automatically 'stow' itself (will tilt so that stem of Starlink is not sticking out so much)

5. Once the Starlink 'stows', unplug the device so that it remains in stow position. You can now place the Starlink in the box!

6. If your dish does not stow itself, try again but turn the dish a bit this time

My friends or neighbors have not received their invite for Starlink. What do they need to do?
We are sending more invites to active areas with available capacity each week. Please make sure they have successfully signed up at Starlink.com and keep an eye out!
When will my order ship?
We are currently experiencing shipping delays up to several weeks. Our teams are making every effort to get your orders to you as quickly as possible. Please note, that your monthly billing cycles are driven off the date the order ships, not the day the order was placed.
Orders will show the Pending status up until they leave our warehouse. Once your Starlink kit has shipped, you will receive an email that includes a Tracking Number. You can check the status of your shipment using the FedEx and DHL websites.

We appreciate your patience! Thank you for your continue support during Better Than Nothing Beta!

What payment methods are available?
Currently, you can pay using debit card, credit card, and Apple Pay. We are working on adding other payment options in the near future.
What kind of speed performance can I expect with Starlink?
Expect to see data speeds vary from 50Mb/s to 150Mb/s and latency from 20ms to 40ms over the next several months as we enhance the Starlink Network. There will also be brief periods of no connectivity at all, known as Beta Downtime. You can interpret Beta Downtime as expected outages that will occur from time to time as the network matures. This category of outages does not mean your Starlink has a lack of satellites passing overhead, but instead represents the downtime that occurs as our teams work to improve the overall systems.
How do I install Starlink on my roof?
In terms of installing or mounting Starlink on your roof, please refer to the install guides located on shop.starlink.com. Click "Preview Install" for instructions on how to install the mounts based on your desired roof type. Please only complete this install if you feel safe and comfortable doing so. We also advise you to reach out to a roofing or installation professional for further guidance on roof installations.
Can I order a second Starlink Kit?
As we are still in Beta, we currently only support one Starlink subscription per account. As the network expands and continues to mature, this may be an option we offer our customers in the future.

Link Posted: 1/26/2021 9:06:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TEX4N] [#4]
Glad lots of rural co-ops are investing in fiber for those of us in those service areas. My 200/200 service is $55 a month with employee discount. Stepping up to the 1000/1000 is $80. That’s 100% fiber from the NOC to the inside of the customer’s home.

Had Starlink been around a couple of years ago they would have had monopolized rural areas. Not so sure about that now.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 9:16:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Imzadi:
You can also now signup for beta on the starlink.com website. Email address and zipcode.
View Quote

Hit that shit
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 9:29:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By acrooks:
Glad lots of rural co-ops are investing in fiber for those of us in those service areas. My 200/200 service is $55 a month with employee discount. Stepping up to the 1000/1000 is $80. That’s 100% fiber from the NOC to the inside of the customer’s home.

Had Starlink been around a couple of years ago they would have had monopolized rural areas. Not so sure about that now.
View Quote

Agreed.  My area WISP would have been my choice but didn't quite reach me. I hope they extend that and or fiber
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 10:18:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By ThereBeDragoons:

Don't think the app is some magic that anywhere there is a tree will ruin your service.

We're probably at close the same latitudes. The dish points almost straight up. There are 50' trees blocking the view to the north on the app that are 20 yards away from the dish. But, I'm only losing service due to obstructions 2-3 minutes everyday.

You don't need a clear of a sky as you think.
View Quote

How is the signal when overcast or storming?
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 9:52:57 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Nodak_Cruffler:

100M customers at $100/month is simply impossible. End of story. There's only around 500M people globaly earning over $20k a year, and most of those get faster, cheaper internet through fiber. Not to mention the physical capabilities of the satellites.  Maybe Starlink will subsidize low income areas, but then their revenue drops dramatically. They're looking at a few million tops. That can be enough to be profitable if they do it right.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Nodak_Cruffler:
Originally Posted By Orion_Shall_Rise:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/arstechnica.com/information-technology/2020/08/spacex-now-plans-for-5-million-starlink-customers-in-us-up-from-1-million/%3famp=1

They already upped us customer liscense request from 1 to five million.  Spread an equal number around rest of the world. The us is about 6% of world landmass. If the think they can do 5 million here the can do 100 worldwide.

100M customers at $100/month is simply impossible. End of story. There's only around 500M people globaly earning over $20k a year, and most of those get faster, cheaper internet through fiber. Not to mention the physical capabilities of the satellites.  Maybe Starlink will subsidize low income areas, but then their revenue drops dramatically. They're looking at a few million tops. That can be enough to be profitable if they do it right.

Yes, there is $25B plus available from the US government for rural internet support that I do believe Starlink will be able to claim.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 10:27:51 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By sneadhearn:

I'm in the Idaho Panhandle. I don't list state because I've not moved completely, so in Oregon for a bit longer. This will be installed there, then.

I have a Verizon sim in a Netgear box with external mimo antenna. When everything is working perfectly, I get just over 20down and 1.5 up. The latency isn't horrible, it's adequate for a zoom call if I don't move around much and if I speak slowly.  I can hit one tower.

I've found that at 0800, when everyone jumps on for work, or at 2000 when everyone is streaming movies, it slows to a crawl, sometimes to a few hundred kbps.

We also hit the data caps since I've not taken the time to change the TTL on my router, hoping Elon would hook me up with this dish.

Bottom line is that on a good day at 1430, I can make a two way video call. Otherwise, I'm limited to sending email and posting stupid boomer memes on the internet. I am looking forward to more robust connection since I can work remotely about 75% of the time.
View Quote

Thanks for the info!!!  I hope Starlink makes it much better for you guys!
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 12:08:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Waldo:

There's one ATT only tower I can hit from the cabin. Drive down the mountain and a few miles in either direction and there's nothing. It's the NRQZ.  It will never get better because of that.

Data and speed is limited, plus the tower goes down all the time and they have to drive 100 miles with a new hamster to run in the wheel. It has no backup power supply.  It's been dead for 3-4 days at a time.
View Quote

At least you have that. No joy here in my AO and never will be. It's satellite or nothing.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 12:28:38 PM EDT
[#11]

I'm in the Idaho Panhandle. I don't list state because I've not moved completely, so in Oregon for a bit longer. This will be installed there, then.

I have a Verizon sim in a Netgear box with external mimo antenna. When everything is working perfectly, I get just over 20down and 1.5 up. The latency isn't horrible, it's adequate for a zoom call if I don't move around much and if I speak slowly.  I can hit one tower.

I've found that at 0800, when everyone jumps on for work, or at 2000 when everyone is streaming movies, it slows to a crawl, sometimes to a few hundred kbps.

We also hit the data caps since I've not taken the time to change the TTL on my router, hoping Elon would hook me up with this dish.

Bottom line is that on a good day at 1430, I can make a two way video call. Otherwise, I'm limited to sending email and posting stupid boomer memes on the internet. I am looking forward to more robust connection since I can work remotely about 75% of the time.

Will do. I used the Starlink app to figure out where on my property to place the dish, and it's NOT where I'd like it to be. For now, it'll do. I suspect I'll do some tree clearing to put it in a better spot - either that or I'll put it somewhere up high.

I do have some concern about the length of the POE cable that's supplied - it's 100 feet. I have some plans on how to manage an extension, but that involves digging and pulling wires and I'm lazy so I'm hoping I can make it work otherwise.

We have a house that's essentially underground, so I don't even have a high roof to use to mount it.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By sgthoskins:
Congrats!!!  What state are you in and what is your current internet bandwidth?  If you don't mind me asking.

Originally Posted By WrightP:

Not that will be too many steps but please give us a step-by-step!

Will do. I used the Starlink app to figure out where on my property to place the dish, and it's NOT where I'd like it to be. For now, it'll do. I suspect I'll do some tree clearing to put it in a better spot - either that or I'll put it somewhere up high.

I do have some concern about the length of the POE cable that's supplied - it's 100 feet. I have some plans on how to manage an extension, but that involves digging and pulling wires and I'm lazy so I'm hoping I can make it work otherwise.

We have a house that's essentially underground, so I don't even have a high roof to use to mount it.

If it is standard POE you should be able to get out to ~300'.

Question for you. Does the antenna come with a cable that is pre-installed (hardwired) or is it a standard RJ45 end that you plug in?
Just kind of curious. I am an AV/Home automation guy and already have a few clients asking about Starlink that live in areas that wired high speed data skipped over. I have no doubt someone is hand me one of these and ask me to install it. Trying to get as informed as I can ahead of time. I am on their beta list but didn't get picked.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 12:29:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By memsu:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By memsu:

The launch yesterday or the day before was interesting.
I had no idea that SpaceX had a "rideshare" program.

Basically they sell slots as a "we are launching on X date, ready or not". If the slots all fill up, cool. If they don't, they backfill that space with Starlink satellites.

They are giving people cheap orbital rates in exchange for their help subsidizing the deployment of their own birds.. Wicked smaat [Boston accent]

You and me both.
Have a family member that was an early, heavy Tesla investor.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 1:22:14 PM EDT
[#13]

Question for you. Does the antenna come with a cable that is pre-installed (hardwired) or is it a standard RJ45 end that you plug in?
Just kind of curious. I am an AV/Home automation guy and already have a few clients asking about Starlink that live in areas that wired high speed data skipped over. I have no doubt someone is hand me one of these and ask me to install it. Trying to get as informed as I can ahead of time. I am on their beta list but didn't get picked.
View All Quotes
Congrats!!!  What state are you in and what is your current internet bandwidth?  If you don't mind me asking.

Apparently it is a different POE spec...more power? Custom.for Starlink. People are plugging the supplied injector in at the 100 foot mark, then regular cat 6 to the terminus.  I haven't set i up yet so cannot verify but makes sense the dish moves and has a heater so it might well need more juice.

Ill.follow up
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 1:29:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By billth777:
I cant wait.

3mb down and .25 up out here in the sticks.
View Quote

12.84 / .74 here. In the sticks but this is what you get from the phone company's base tier. Gave up on Hughesnet satellite.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 1:35:54 PM EDT
[#15]

Apparently it is a different POE spec...more power? Custom.for Starlink. People are plugging the supplied injector in at the 100 foot mark, then regular cat 6 to the terminus.  I haven't set i up yet so cannot verify but makes sense the dish moves and has a heater so it might well need more juice.

Ill.follow up
View All Quotes

Ill.follow up

Thanks.
POE++ or Higher Power POE probably.

I would be surprised if they created their own proprietary POE standard for their gear (not impossible but annoying if so).

As an aside, the high power POE stuff is pretty fascinating. There are emerging lighting/lighting control systems based off it.

Link Posted: 1/28/2021 1:40:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Yes, there is $25B plus available from the US government for rural internet support that I do believe Starlink will be able to claim.
View Quote

How does that work?   Will SpaceX provide a free system to me and have it paid by part of that $25 billion?   Will I get subsidized monthly fees?
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 1:44:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By AmericanPeople:

How does that work?   Will SpaceX provide a free system to me and have it paid by part of that $25 billion?   Will I get subsidized monthly fees?
View All Quotes

Not exactly sure but I think it’s in the form of Grant’s to the company that provides the infrastructure.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 2:11:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AmericanPeople] [#18]
Based upon a post here I just signed up for T-Mobile.

Here is a coverage map.

Free "router/gateway".

No installation fee.  No contract.

$50/months for about 50 Mbps.

I am currently paying $45/month for around 6 Mbps down via DSL with Centurylink.  

I don't know if it is 4G or 5G.  I don't really care.   50 Mbps will be awesome.
Link Posted: 1/29/2021 9:38:28 AM EDT
[#19]

Here is a coverage map.

Free "router/gateway".

I am currently paying $45/month for around 6 Mbps down via DSL with Centurylink.  

I don't know if it is 4G or 5G.  I don't really care.   50 Mbps will be awesome.
View Quote

Thanks for the map.  I'm in such a dead zone

Link Posted: 2/3/2021 9:54:27 AM EDT
[#20]
This guy a pretty good review of his beta.

Starlink, Part 2 – bad weather? speeds? data caps? FAQ's answered!
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 3:55:36 PM EDT
[#21]

Here is a coverage map.

Free "router/gateway".

View Quote

I would be more than happy with that.  The map shows 5G coverage for my area but T-Mobile Internet is not available.  Go figure.
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 3:58:58 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By cb4017:

I would be more than happy with that.  The map shows 5G coverage for my area but T-Mobile Internet is not available.  Go figure.
View Quote

Likely due to carrier agreements, T-Mobile may work as if you were using their tower in certain areas but it may not be their tower and thus have an agreement with those who do to give you service for your mobile phone however it may not allow fixed internet or is simply expensive (if they bill t-mobile by the MB for instance).

In my AO Verizon phones work, but you can't sign up for service if you live in the area because VZ has to pay the local yokels $$$ to give you service and if you're spending 90% of the your data cap here it's expensive for them.
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 4:38:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: hdhogman] [#23]
https://www.forbes.com/sites/jonathanocallaghan/2020/10/27/spacex-reveals-monthly-cost-of-starlink-internet-in-its-better-than-nothing-betabut-is-it-too-expensive/?sh=2fc02c54a834

More expensive than the early reports when the program began.
Anyone remember what the early estimated monthly fee was?
I was thinking $20.00? I could be wrong.
It will be a Blessing for those who have no other options.

I'm paying $68.95 from Armstrong Cable, 170-15 speed, Mbps of course.

Link Posted: 2/3/2021 4:42:07 PM EDT
[#24]

That is perfectly reasonable to anyone that has to live off of 4G or HughesNet currently.
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 4:43:52 PM EDT
[#25]
I agree.
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 5:13:04 PM EDT
[#26]

View All Quotes

Here is a coverage map.

Free "router/gateway".

yep, not available here.
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 5:33:57 PM EDT
[#27]
That sux.
1998 I had dial up, before that a C-64 with a 300 baud modem, than a 1200 baud, could Almost scroll down pages as they were loading from the BBS!
Downloading a song from Napster and I'm Praying, 'keep on going, 42 minutes and I'll be listening to this song that I haven't heard since I was a kid'
DSL was not available on 'my side of the creek', the phone lines were too old, did get a dedicated phone line so a call would not stop a DL.
2001 or so cable internet became available, 10Mbps, YEAH!
Is 170 or so now.
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 10:50:01 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By sq40:

That is perfectly reasonable to anyone that has to live off of 4G or HughesNet currently.
View Quote

Exactly, I would pay $200 a month for Starlink's advertised speeds.
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 6:04:29 AM EDT
[#29]
Just got my Starlink invite and signed up.  SE Michigan and only have ATT available.  12mb down 0.8 up.  Same speeds I had 20 years ago in another state.
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 8:35:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Kota4bye] [#30]

Not exactly sure but I think it’s in the form of Grant’s to the company that provides the infrastructure.
View All Quotes

Grant to winning company in 10 year payment schedule.  Company required to serve obligated "locations" within identified census blocks.  Price capping to reasonably within national average for that speed plan to customers inside identified census blocks.  Grantee obligated to meet service deployments by year 6.

Starlink won 880M of 9B awarded

You can visit the RDOF auction map to see if your location was inside an awarded census block.
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 2:08:15 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By Kota4bye:

You can visit the RDOF auction map to see if your location was inside an awarded census block.
View Quote

https://www.fcc.gov/reports-research/maps/rdof-phase-i-dec-2020/

Why is there a giant black hole in the middle of North Texas?  DFW and Waco have plenty of options, but there's a whole lot of area there that doesn't have any access to broadband.
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 2:35:54 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By codifier:

Likely due to carrier agreements, T-Mobile may work as if you were using their tower in certain areas but it may not be their tower and thus have an agreement with those who do to give you service for your mobile phone however it may not allow fixed internet or is simply expensive (if they bill t-mobile by the MB for instance).

In my AO Verizon phones work, but you can't sign up for service if you live in the area because VZ has to pay the local yokels $$$ to give you service and if you're spending 90% of the your data cap here it's expensive for them.
View Quote

That makes sense.  Thanks.  My cell phone is through Verizon and the T-Mobile Internet site asks for your cell number when checking coverage.  Wonder if that has something to do with it too.

Anyway, I'm at the 39th Parallel in Northern Nevada.  Can't wait for the Starlink coverage to get down here.  I almost cheer every time they launch more satellites.
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 5:53:12 PM EDT
[#33]
I knew this was only a matter a time.  Musk doesnt like to kiss rings so the King's men are coming after him.

https://www.fool.com/investing/2021/01/29/doj-investigating-spacex-over-hiring-discriminatio/
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 10:47:12 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By DaTrueDave:

Why is there a giant black hole in the middle of North Texas?  DFW and Waco have plenty of options, but there's a whole lot of area there that doesn't have any access to broadband.
View All Quotes

The FCC considers 25/3 (w/low latency)speeds as broadband.  Wired or wireless.

Unfortunately, the reporting mechanism is based on zip codes, it can be less than accurate in areas depend on technology.

CAF and RDOF location coverage report requires 32’ accuracy reported via individual gps points.

Link Posted: 2/5/2021 2:37:44 PM EDT
[#35]

The FCC considers 25/3 (w/low latency)speeds as broadband.  Wired or wireless.

Unfortunately, the reporting mechanism is based on zip codes, it can be less than accurate in areas depend on technology.

CAF and RDOF location coverage report requires 32’ accuracy reported via individual gps points.

View Quote

Ah, I thought the definition for broadband was only for wired connections.  Up until a few years back when Rise and Nextlink started in my area, there was no broadband available at all.   There are still some folks in my neighborhood who are unwilling to put up tall towers on their roof, and so have no broadband available to them because they don't have line of sight to one of the ISP's towers.
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 2:46:55 PM EDT
[#36]

View All Quotes

2,000' from an award for gigabit internet. Fuckers.
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 9:27:26 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By Imzadi:

2,000' from an award for gigabit internet. Fuckers.
View Quote

Gig wireless was approved tech for the auction.....
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 11:49:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: David0858] [#38]
Starlink news -

SpaceX plans Starlink phone service, emergency backup, and low-income access

Starlink now has over 10,000 users in their beta program.
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 2:00:43 PM EDT
[#39]
(im)patiently waiting for NGa to open up in beta or full release...
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 8:15:35 PM EDT
[#40]
Pre-orders are live on the Starlink website.  First come first serve.  Got my order in

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 2/8/2021 8:25:57 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By Pavelow16478:
Pre-orders are live on the Starlink website.  First come first serve.  Got my order in

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/86377/2254F064-3FCB-4327-80D8-EF2A4997D01F_png-1816820.JPG
View Quote

Cool!  Just got my pre-order in.  It said service should start in my area mid year or so.
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 8:30:52 PM EDT
[#42]

Cool!  Just got my pre-order in.  It said service should start in my area mid year or so.
View Quote

From what I'm seeing everyone got the same message no matter where they are located  It's a global pre-order.
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 8:51:17 PM EDT
[#43]
Order in!
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 9:37:56 PM EDT
[#44]
Hell yeah!

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 2/8/2021 9:44:12 PM EDT
[#45]
Was invited to join but $600 in hardware and $100 a month is a little steep at the moment.
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 9:46:32 PM EDT
[#46]
+1 on the pre order list.
Of course being in Florida we will be the last to get it, still worth the wait for me.
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 10:01:36 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By hdhogman:
https://www.forbes.com/sites/jonathanocallaghan/2020/10/27/spacex-reveals-monthly-cost-of-starlink-internet-in-its-better-than-nothing-betabut-is-it-too-expensive/?sh=2fc02c54a834

More expensive than the early reports when the program began.
Anyone remember what the early estimated monthly fee was?
I was thinking $20.00? I could be wrong.
It will be a Blessing for those who have no other options.

I'm paying $68.95 from Armstrong Cable, 170-15 speed, Mbps of course.

View Quote

All I recall is the woman SpaceX person saying something about $80 a month...no one pays less than that.    That is wrong based upon input here.
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 10:03:20 PM EDT
[#48]
ordered

Link Posted: 2/8/2021 10:03:31 PM EDT
[#49]

From what I'm seeing everyone got the same message no matter where they are located  It's a global pre-order.
View All Quotes

Mine said late in 2021.

I waved off.  I've got decent wireless internet right now, so I'll wait and see how people like it once it starts getting congested.
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 10:04:22 PM EDT
[#50]
Grant to winning company in 10 year payment schedule.  Company required to serve obligated "locations" within identified census blocks.  Price capping to reasonably within national average for that speed plan to customers inside identified census blocks.  Grantee obligated to meet service deployments by year 6.

Starlink won 880M of 9B awarded

View Quote

This map?

If so I am in the "No winning bidder" area.
Page / 82
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top