Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 82
Link Posted: 3/6/2022 3:51:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: NathanL] [#1]
I cancelled my order, no way I was going to get a 100 degree arc of the sky that was clear. I have a tower but it's occupied. It really doesn't matter, since I first signed up it and got the mail recently that I could order fiber was run down the side of the road right in front of the house and have a date for fiber.

Was surpised how few in my area are getting it. Then realised I live 15 miles from town in a very rural area but still have the zip code from town. All the people in town have had good internet. At my MS house I didn't sign up on my TX address.
Link Posted: 3/6/2022 12:45:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Well, that was fun while it lasted. Lost signal 3 days ago and no amount of resetting the dish or router fixes the problem. Customer service is non-existent.
Link Posted: 3/6/2022 6:09:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By clindt:
Well, that was fun while it lasted. Lost signal 3 days ago and no amount of resetting the dish or router fixes the problem. Customer service is non-existent.
View Quote

Perhaps faulty hardware...or a by-product of the Russians possibly jamming Starlink in Ukraine.
Link Posted: 3/6/2022 9:15:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By AmericanPeople:

Perhaps faulty hardware...or a by-product of the Russians possibly jamming Starlink in Ukraine.
View Quote

Definitely a hardware problem. I’ll update this thread with any progress.
Link Posted: 3/7/2022 9:54:56 AM EDT
[#5]
I got an email this morning that Starlink is sending a replacement dish and router.
Link Posted: 3/7/2022 12:09:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/7/2022 12:24:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PresidentJ] [#7]
Lost Suddenlink Internet again for hours this morning. And still not fixed.  Come on early to mid 2022. New subscriptions showing late 2023 now in my area.
Link Posted: 3/7/2022 12:26:49 PM EDT
[#8]
I got an email this morning that Starlink is sending a replacement dish and router.
View Quote

Wow, that's fast!
Link Posted: 3/11/2022 1:09:36 AM EDT
[#9]
Received the new dish and router today. So far, so good.
Link Posted: 3/11/2022 12:05:55 PM EDT
[#10]
View Quote

How are your speeds now? Difference with new equipment?
Link Posted: 3/11/2022 9:45:31 PM EDT
[#11]
213 down and 8.5 up. I’m curious to see if it holds.
Link Posted: 3/11/2022 11:03:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Anyone else not getting great speeds?  Getting about 40 down.  App says no obstructions.  Tried re-setting it once.  Waiting for the ethernet adapter to ship to see if it's just a wifi signal issue.
Link Posted: 3/12/2022 3:23:06 AM EDT
[#13]
We put ours in a week ago and it's been a godsend. It's about a 100x faster than the OTR Mobile 4G LTE system we had with a 300gb per month sim card. On a good day, we'd get about 4mbps down, and about 0.5mpbs up. That's with a top tier WeBoost directional antenna booster. With Starlink, I see 40 - 250mpbs down, and about 15-20mpbs up. It'll stream 4k content with zero issues on multiple devices. I downloaded the Windows 11 update on a computer which I think was about 4-5gb in about 15 minutes. I've never had internet this good, let alone being way out in the mountains.

SpaceX has yet to send us the mount and link to connect the Starlink to our existing router. Their router is rather limited in range and I have several devices that need to be hardwired with eithernet cable since they don't have a wireless adapter in them, items like my surveillance system. We've had it snow twice since putting it up, and the system was able to get thru the cloud cover just fine with only a minor reduction in speed observed.

I installed some 1.5" ENT conduit to route the wire thru up to a service box. All the excess wire is looped in there for when the actual mount comes. The plug they put on the new dish is overly large and required the larger conduit. I think I could have pulled the wire from the dish side and it is a smaller diameter. I used a bunch of Camdex conduit pieces to route the cable to a wire run I had in place for my camera system already. Leaving the wire exposed is a bad idea. Animals love destroying everything here and the weather isn't nice to exposed wiring.

We have some obstructions from some nearby Ponderosa pine trees, so I'm going to mount it up on a pole about 6 - 8 feet above the roof peak on the second floor. This should also keep the snow from piling up on the roof around the unit and burying it in heavier snow storms. I have some turn buckles and stainless cabling tie off to guy the pole to keep it from moving around in the wind.

Zero issues connecting thru my VPN. My daughter plays a lot of internet games, and she's nothing but smiles with the new system.
Link Posted: 3/13/2022 9:33:36 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By 98hd:
Anyone else not getting great speeds?  Getting about 40 down.  App says no obstructions.  Tried re-setting it once.  Waiting for the ethernet adapter to ship to see if it's just a wifi signal issue.
View Quote

@98hd, While it's better than my current WISP it's not what I expected, I am averaging maybe 60 down during the last week now.
Link Posted: 3/14/2022 5:30:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 3/14/2022 5:45:42 PM EDT
[#16]
I'm still waiting (since Feb 9th last year)  

A co-worker of mine who lives about 40 miles up the road got his last month, and his delivery guy said he had delivered 7 or 8 more in the area.

My 1.5 DSL has been slowly killing me for years.. I hope to live to see true broadband in my house one day.  
Link Posted: 3/14/2022 9:07:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Kitties-with-Sigs:

I was wondering same, but if it's not rated to be buried, I doubt it can handle being in water long-term, and those pipes always fill with water.

View Quote

I am not sure about that. They only 'always' fill with water if the installation was poor enough as to also leak water under pressure, like a sprinkler pipe feed.

I'd run anything into properly installed underground pipe or conduit and sleep well.
Link Posted: 3/15/2022 12:20:27 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By JoseCuervo:

I am not sure about that. They only 'always' fill with water if the installation was poor enough as to also leak water under pressure, like a sprinkler pipe feed.

I'd run anything into properly installed underground pipe or conduit and sleep well.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By JoseCuervo:
Originally Posted By Kitties-with-Sigs:

I was wondering same, but if it's not rated to be buried, I doubt it can handle being in water long-term, and those pipes always fill with water.

... Sure. They usually get water in them though even if its just from condensation that collects. That said, I'd have no qualms about running wire in one, if it eventually fails, it eventually fails, so what. Pull new wire.

I guess you could seal the ends with caulk and stuff which would probably help delay the inevitable, just not sure it really matters.
Link Posted: 3/15/2022 6:34:04 PM EDT
[#19]
Elon Musk’s Starlink Becomes Most-Downloaded App In Ukraine

"Elon Musk's Starlink app – which allows people access to a satellite-based internet service – has become the most-downloaded app in Ukraine, new data shows.

The SpaceX CEO delivered the terminals that provide the service after Russian President Vladimir Putin invaded the country last month.

Since then, figures show the app has been downloaded almost 100,000 times in Ukraine, with global downloads more than tripling in the last two weeks.

Sensor Tower, a firm that provides App Store and Google Play data, said the app was downloaded 21,000 times globally across the two stores on Sunday.

That is the most global installs in a single day, the company added, with the majority of the downloads coming from Ukraine. "
Link Posted: 3/15/2022 6:56:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MrZeat] [#20]
How does that work, does it give you the BSSID/PSK for the base stations you can connect to with Wi-Fi or something? Or is this just people setting up new terminals?
Link Posted: 3/16/2022 12:40:30 PM EDT
[#21]
Just got the email this morning that my order is being filled. I did the preorder in early February 2021 so I have been waiting over a year now. I’m in the western Maine mountains and we have only been able to get very slow DSL up until now.
Link Posted: 3/16/2022 3:15:50 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Downeast_Pete:
Just got the email this morning that my order is being filled. I did the preorder in early February 2021 so I have been waiting over a year now. I’m in the western Maine mountains and we have only been able to get very slow DSL up until now.
View Quote

What was your predicted service date? March 2022? Mid 2022?
Link Posted: 3/16/2022 3:25:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: chevypowerzz4] [#23]
Just got my confirmation to proceed. I should be receiving it shortly. I ordered last summer.

Edited to add that I receive the system today and will get it roughly installed this weekend.  I still have yet to receive the extended service wire and I ordered the pipe adapter today and will mount it permanently to a 2.5 inch pipe once the frost is all out of the ground.
Link Posted: 3/16/2022 3:46:49 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By chevypowerzz4:
Just got my confirmation to proceed. I should be receiving it shortly. I ordered last summer.
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/16/2022 4:30:01 PM EDT
[#25]
Mine was mid March 2021.  Nothing yet.
Link Posted: 3/17/2022 7:38:31 AM EDT
[#26]
View Quote
Good to hear!
Link Posted: 3/17/2022 8:03:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: tooldforthis] [#27]
Originally Posted By Spacejunk:

Starlink says the cable isn’t rated to be buried.
View Quote

Where does it say that (edit to add, found it in the FAQ, we had to get the longer cable and on email chats they said to bury it).  We were told by Starlink you could bury it.  Mine runs about 15 foot underground.  No pipe, just a trench and dropped it in and dropped dirt over it.  

Guess I will see how long it lasts.
Link Posted: 3/17/2022 9:09:53 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By ar15cpa:

View Quote

@ar15cpa

Original date at preorder was mid to late 2021. Late 2021 got an updated estimate of mid 2022.
Link Posted: 3/17/2022 9:32:04 AM EDT
[#29]

@ar15cpa

Original date at preorder was mid to late 2021. Late 2021 got an updated estimate of mid 2022.
View All Quotes

@ar15cpa

That's good to hear because my expected date is mid 2022 also.
Link Posted: 3/18/2022 12:44:32 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 3/18/2022 2:02:04 PM EDT
[#31]
100mbps is probably the fastest internet anybody has ever had in that location...
Link Posted: 3/18/2022 2:33:32 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By RyanEsstac:
Only getting about 100mbps in the middle of nowhere in Arizona. Lifesaver though. Able to do payroll without having to drive around searching for signal.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/477522/20220317_124904-2317652.jpg

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/477522/Screenshot_20220317-124856_Starlink-2317654.jpg
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/477522/20220316_161052-2317655.jpg
View Quote

To be fair, that’s the speed your device is seeing over WiFi. The speed your router is getting may be much higher. I think you can make your router perform a speed test which would be more accurate.
Link Posted: 3/18/2022 2:52:25 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By t75fnaco3pwzhd:

To be fair, that’s the speed your device is seeing over WiFi. The speed your router is getting may be much higher. I think you can make your router perform a speed test which would be more accurate.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By t75fnaco3pwzhd:
Originally Posted By RyanEsstac:
Only getting about 100mbps in the middle of nowhere in Arizona. Lifesaver though. Able to do payroll without having to drive around searching for signal.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/477522/20220317_124904-2317652.jpg

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/477522/Screenshot_20220317-124856_Starlink-2317654.jpg
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/477522/20220316_161052-2317655.jpg

It's not like he's competing with noisy wifi neighbors
Link Posted: 3/18/2022 3:13:26 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 3/19/2022 8:07:08 PM EDT
[#35]

View Quote

Mine was originally late 2021 but got pushed back to mid 2022 I believe.  I know of several people in my area that got the green light in my area over the last couple weeks.
Link Posted: 3/20/2022 4:51:48 PM EDT
[#36]
Got it installed, still waiting on the Ethernet adapter.  No complaints

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/20/2022 5:07:08 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 9:02:15 AM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By CavScout:

@MaxC1776 That is the 'hook you' test lol. The new normal seems to be 120 down and 10 up. I have been a user since March 2021.
View Quote

I may cancel mine then.  I'm now getting 216 & 11 with Spectrum after upgrading.  Is there any benefit other than speed if you don't have speed?
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 9:03:45 AM EDT
[#39]
View Quote

Did they send a return tag/label?
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 9:26:32 AM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By trails-end:

I may cancel mine then.  I'm now getting 216 & 11 with Spectrum after upgrading.  Is there any benefit other than speed if you don't have speed?
View Quote

@trails-end not really. It isn’t portable and ground stations don’t appear to be keeping up with capacity so throttling is the norm now days, to the speeds I discussed. They are launching frequently but it takes months to get the sats into their orbits.if I could go mobile again, I’d keep it.
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 9:37:47 AM EDT
[#41]

@trails-end not really. It isn’t portable and ground stations don’t appear to be keeping up with capacity so throttling is the norm now days, to the speeds I discussed. They are launching frequently but it takes months to get the sats into their orbits.if I could go mobile again, I’d keep it.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By trails-end:

Thank you.
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 1:18:08 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By 9mmmac:

Did they send a return tag/label?
View Quote

Yes.  I just used the box they shipped the new one in to return the old one.
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 6:18:53 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 7:05:34 PM EDT
[#44]
Isn't that a good thing?
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 7:31:43 PM EDT
[#45]
Goodbye 4mbps hotspot connection, just got my order confirmation email.
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 11:20:06 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 11:31:33 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By ZW17:

Nope, the spots were all taken by the time I found the email.
View Quote

Starlink's fault that you did not check it daily.
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 11:44:11 PM EDT
[#48]
Elon Musk’s Starlink has thousands of active terminals in Ukraine, confirms minister

"Defense and space industry experts may have reservations about whether Starlink is useful in Ukraine as the country fights back against the Russian invasion, but Minister of Digital Transformation Mykhailo Fedorov believes in satellite internet service’s effectiveness. In a recent interview, Fedorov noted that Starlink terminals have been “very effective” in helping his country stay connected to the World Wide Web.

The minister mentioned that Ukrainians utilize thousands of Starlink terminals each day, and more are coming. Musk stayed true to his words on Twitter and sent more Starlink kits to the country. Fedorov stated that new shipments of the satellite internet systems have been arriving every other day. The minister also noted that Starlink’s internet connection has been excellent so far. "
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 3:26:37 PM EDT
[#49]
Just got the email that my Starlink order is ready.
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 4:30:09 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 82
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top