Link Posted: 4/7/2022 5:39:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By notarandomname:

same for me.  

deposit paid feb 2022
del date changed to  the same as yours.

see my post above..    i have one on the way

dont know if it will work..  but  they  took my  full payment  and will ship next week .

hell they  still have my  deposit  from my original feb 2022 order.  
im leaving that open for when it  finally  arrives in my  area

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Trunalimunumaprzure:
Still waiting on mine.  Now says 2023 or later.

same for me.  

deposit paid feb 2022
del date changed to  the same as yours.

see my post above..    i have one on the way

dont know if it will work..  but  they  took my  full payment  and will ship next week .

hell they  still have my  deposit  from my original feb 2022 order.  
im leaving that open for when it  finally  arrives in my  area

How far away are they saying you can put "your location" if you want to try going that route?  Closest area with availability according to the starlink coverage map is 50+ miles.
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 5:48:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: notarandomname] [#2]

How far away are they saying you can put "your location" if you want to try going that route?  Closest area with availability according to the starlink coverage map is 50+ miles.
View Quote

i  got it before i knew the coverage map was available.

I am in the Dallas area ..   I  used a Laredo Tx Service  address.

thats only  429 miles away

but we don't use miles here.

we say its about a 7 hour drive

edit. im not "trying that route"   ive already paid and have a shipping date.

im a genius or an idiot

i will find out next week

edit 2.0
from what  youtube people are saying  once it updates and roaming = true   vs false..  

you're now free to roam around the country.
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 5:53:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: notarandomname] [#3]
people that have it already  

please go to your starlink app and see what  roaming is set up as in the debug section .

thanks

pic from the internet

if roaming =  true you are supposed to be able to pick that bitch up and go.
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 5:55:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By PhilipPeake:

I checked. I can order it now. But, it goes on to say that it may be 2023 or later before they can deliver.
View Quote

Same here. I don’t understand the problem.
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 5:56:33 PM EDT
[#5]

im a genius or an idiot

edit 2.0
from what  youtube people are saying  once it updates and roaming = true   vs false..  

View All Quotes

im a genius or an idiot

edit 2.0

Guess I'll wait and see if it works for you.  

Link Posted: 4/7/2022 5:57:56 PM EDT
[#6]
This may have been covered already, but for those who have the service already.

Do they start your first month of service from the date of arrival, from when you first fire the unit up and it phones home, or from the day that you placed the order?
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 6:12:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Klee] [#7]
I'ts been two weeks so far but my T-Mobile 5G internet has been 100%, zero issues so far.

Will still leave my Starlink order active and when I get the order notification I'll decide if I want to get it or stay with T-Mobile.

If T-Mobile stays as good as it has been I'll probably just get a refund on my starlink order.

I live in the middle of a swamp but luckily I'm about 530 yards from a tower.
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 6:33:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 7:06:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Klee:
I'ts been two weeks so far but my T-Mobile 5G internet has been 100%, zero issues so far.

https://i.imgur.com/ljNJp0e.png

Will still leave my Starlink order active and when I get the order notification I'll decide if I want to get it or stay with T-Mobile.

If T-Mobile stays as good as it has been I'll probably just get a refund on my starlink order.

I live in the middle of a swamp but luckily I'm about 530 yards from a tower.
View Quote
T-Mobile gives me the same response as starlink.  Leave your email, we'll get back to ya
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 8:44:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Andr0id] [#10]
Originally Posted By RyanEsstac:

Does that roaming mean it is currently roaming and out of area, or its allowed?

Mine is at its correct address and I get this

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/477522/Screenshot_20220407-153224_Starlink-2341331.jpg
View Quote

Roaming means you are out of your home cell.

I just got my dish and set in up in Austin, not Colorado. Roaming was true on my debug page.

I think roaming is now allowed. A lot of RV users are saying it is working wherever they are.

Supposedly you will get lower priority for bandwidth over people in the cell when the system reaches capacity.
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 8:52:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Ours is supposed to be delivered tomorrow. Can't wait to see how well it works.
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 8:56:10 PM EDT
[#12]
people that have it already  

please go to your starlink app and see what  roaming is set up as in the debug section .

thanks

pic from the internet
https://i.ibb.co/1myZkwT/starlink-roaming.png

if roaming =  true you are supposed to be able to pick that bitch up and go.
View Quote
Mine is Roaming = False
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 8:58:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Rumrunner358:
T-Mobile gives me the same response as starlink.  Leave your email, we'll get back to ya
View Quote

They told me over and over again that I was not in their service area, but I knew that I was.

So I didn’t email or call, I walked my ass right into the store and asked for it.  They didn’t give a shit about my address - I walked out in about 15 minutes with the 5G modem/router.

I get ~ 3 bars (sometimes 2) and have got up to 110 Mbps.

Well worth it, at $50 a month.
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 8:04:19 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Muad:
This may have been covered already, but for those who have the service already.

Do they start your first month of service from the date of arrival, from when you first fire the unit up and it phones home, or from the day that you placed the order?
View Quote
Got my shipment notice, and it answered the question:

"Billing for new customers will start 14 days after your Starlink ships."
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 8:42:23 AM EDT
[#15]

View Quote

Glad you got your shipping notice, still waiting a little north of ya.  My estimated service availability date is still April, 2022 so fingers crossed...
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 8:55:54 AM EDT
[#16]
Paid my deposit the other day. Currently not taking any more users in my area.

Have t mobile now at the house but we are moving about 7-8mi up the road.

New house is not in the t mobile coverage area. So hopefully they won’t kill it when we move.
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 9:23:45 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By ohioktm250:

They told me over and over again that I was not in their service area, but I knew that I was.

So I didn’t email or call, I walked my ass right into the store and asked for it.  They didn’t give a shit about my address - I walked out in about 15 minutes with the 5G modem/router.

View All Quotes

I may do this just for shits and giggles.
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 9:53:13 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 11:03:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TinLeg] [#19]

On Tuesday, the United States Agency for International Development (USAID) announced it has purchased 1,333 terminals from SpaceX to send to Ukraine, while the company donated 3,667 terminals and the Internet service itself.

The revelations show that while SpaceX appears to have donated a significant sum to Ukraine’s cause, it has done so with public assistance.

That last quote is fucking eyeroll haven.
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 11:16:57 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By TinLeg:
That last quote is fucking eyeroll haven.
View Quote

What a bunch of asshats.  So the US Gov pays for a 3rd of the hardware, Elon pays for the other 2/3rds, plus transportation, plus the service and MSN calls him out.  I'm really having a hard time with where our country has ended up and the f&*k's at MSN, MSNBC, CNN, ABC, NBC, CBS & the rest of the media are all to blame.
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 11:27:14 AM EDT
[#21]

Anyone bitching can piss off

Because of Starlink, information can get out of a warzone, that isn't being controlled by governments..... Or people an get just get in contact with their families like one of our employees... (not saying her actual family is using starlink though)
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By t75fnaco3pwzhd:
Originally Posted By M-1975:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FPw2pfrXwAA7wpz?format=jpg&name=large

Before any whiners drop in to complain about sending Starlinks to Ukraine instead of keeping them here in the US, notice that is the old version. The ones currently being shipped to US customers are rectangular. They probably just had a bunch of v1 units sitting around that they didn't want to support so they sent them to Ukraine to get some beneficial PR optics.

Anyone bitching can piss off

Because of Starlink, information can get out of a warzone, that isn't being controlled by governments..... Or people an get just get in contact with their families like one of our employees... (not saying her actual family is using starlink though)

This made me WANT to switch to Starlink, but my area is saturated and waitlisted until 2023.  Currently on Charter Spectrum for only slightly less $$$ but frequent disruptions and degradations from the advertized 200 Mbps down.
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 12:47:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: notarandomname] [#22]
thanks to those that  responded aboutif roaming =  true or false.

now this is where ..   if you dont ask you will never  get an asnwer.  

Can one of you existing starlink people with roaming =  false.  

can you  / would you move your dishy to a new location outside fo your service area and see what it says after that?  

I know thats a big ask..  but if I dont ask no one will answer.

I have seen a few reports of users says roaminf= false in thier home area..   and that makes sense since you are not  " roaming "

but  when they  move it outside your cell.  ...  then after a few min..       roaming =  true.  

or that's what  i want to believe.

edit  

Ive already  paid my  money to have this question answered by me. ..   just waiting for it to be shipped.
and i  figured maybe one of you would be willing to climb your roof  -  take it down  -  drive away a ways - reset  up..   for science.  

Link Posted: 4/8/2022 1:00:37 PM EDT
[#23]
Starlink in my area has gotten slow and inconsistent for the past 2 months. Put it on pause, wondering if they are allocating resources somewhere else.
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 1:15:28 PM EDT
[#24]

I have seen a few reports of users says roaming= false in their home area..   and that makes sense since you are not  " roaming "

but  when they  move it outside your cell.  ...  then after a few min..       roaming =  true.  

or that's what  i want to believe.

View Quote

Roaming in the debug log is a statement of the current position, it is not a permission to roam. As far as we know, that is not displayed anywhere.

Link Posted: 4/8/2022 1:19:53 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By pool_shark:
Starlink in my area has gotten slow and inconsistent for the past 2 months. Put it on pause, wondering if they are allocating resources somewhere else.
View Quote

may  have todo with  roaming and more people in your area because if it.

interesting observation.

one group  says its not 100%   and not  meeting my  needs -  this  group  generally  has other options and wanted to be an early adapter.  -  not judging , just  an observation.

another group with no other options besides a BGAN / HughesNet /viasat ...   say its the best thing  ever .

Link Posted: 4/8/2022 1:25:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: notarandomname] [#26]
Originally Posted By Andr0id:

Roaming in the debug log is a statement of the current position, it is not a permission to roam. As far as we know, that is not displayed anywhere.

View Quote

many  people say  when outside their "home area it  said roaming = false before
and it didnt work,

now  when outside their home area it  now says roaming = true and it works.

this is all  new and solid  answers are hard to come by right now.
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 7:19:26 PM EDT
[#27]

Guess I'll wait and see if it works for you.  

View Quote

This is the video that got me to buy it and try an address 400 miles away

Starlink Is Now Roaming, This Is A Game Changer!
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 9:34:16 PM EDT
[#28]
Can someone help me on this question:  I hope to get mine soon, my plan is to permanently mount the dish to my home’s roof, but we also have an RV & we’d like to use Starlink in when we travel. I assume I can take the router with us, but how do we get a 2nd dish & cable for the RV?  Also, is what I want to do possible?  It sounds like it is with roaming.   TIA.
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 9:45:28 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By MidMichHunter:
Can someone help me on this question:  I hope to get mine soon, my plan is to permanently mount the dish to my home’s roof, but we also have an RV & we’d like to use Starlink in when we travel. I assume I can take the router with us, but how do we get a 2nd dish & cable for the RV?  Also, is what I want to do possible?  It sounds like it is with roaming.   TIA.
View Quote

I think it may be possible. I've thought about doing the same. What I would do is just buy an extra cable (since the original will be mounted along the side of the house). The cable unplugs from the unit, and the unit quick-detaches from the base. So all you need to do is disconnect the unit from it's mount, grab the router & spare cable.

Spare Cable
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 9:56:59 PM EDT
[#30]

I think it may be possible. I've thought about doing the same. What I would do is just buy an extra cable (since the original will be mounted along the side of the house). The cable unplugs from the unit, and the unit quick-detaches from the base. So all you need to do is disconnect the unit from it's mount, grab the router & spare cable.

Spare Cable
View All Quotes

Spare Cable

Thx, that seems easy enough,  but I want to get a 2nd dish because I don’t want to get on the roof to pull the dish every time we take the RV out.  Does anyone have two dishes, and if so how did you get the 2nd one?  The router isn’t paired to the dish is it?
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 10:48:57 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 11:08:01 PM EDT
[#32]

Thx, that seems easy enough,  but I want to get a 2nd dish because I don’t want to get on the roof to pull the dish every time we take the RV out.  Does anyone have two dishes, and if so how did you get the 2nd one?  The router isn’t paired to the dish is it?
View All Quotes

Spare Cable

Yes. You have to order a whole new kit
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 11:13:02 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 11:15:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: NotRyan] [#34]
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 11:27:56 PM EDT
[#35]

Glad you got your shipping notice, still waiting a little north of ya.  My estimated service availability date is still April, 2022 so fingers crossed...
View All Quotes

You should get it any day now. When you're assigned a month, it seems that's a good indicator that yours is coming near that time. Versus a generic, "mid 2022".

Shipping shows mine will be here Monday.

Link Posted: 4/8/2022 11:37:12 PM EDT
[#36]

You cannot just order a second dish, you have to order the whole kit.

Now... I recommend ordering an ASUS mesh router and using that instead of the included Starlink router. Also, if you have a router for each starlink, and use the same wifi name and password, your devices can easily connect between the two. My secondary unit  is the same name and password, and all of our devices have no issues connecting to either.

I use THIS with both of my starlinks. It was plug & play. The only reason to use the starlink router is for looks or if you have a smaller area to cover... plus the new gen 2 starlink router is waterproof outdoors I believe.
View All Quotes
Can someone help me on this question:  I hope to get mine soon, my plan is to permanently mount the dish to my home's roof, but we also have an RV & we'd like to use Starlink in when we travel. I assume I can take the router with us, but how do we get a 2nd dish & cable for the RV?  Also, is what I want to do possible?  It sounds like it is with roaming.   TIA.

Spare Cable

Now... I recommend ordering an ASUS mesh router and using that instead of the included Starlink router. Also, if you have a router for each starlink, and use the same wifi name and password, your devices can easily connect between the two. My secondary unit  is the same name and password, and all of our devices have no issues connecting to either.

I use THIS with both of my starlinks. It was plug & play. The only reason to use the starlink router is for looks or if you have a smaller area to cover... plus the new gen 2 starlink router is waterproof outdoors I believe.

I'm frustrated that I have to buy an ethernet adapter to get a copper interface with the v2. I plan to use my own router and APs.

That, and I'm not too thrilled about CGNAT, but oh whale.

Link Posted: 4/8/2022 11:48:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: NotRyan] [#37]
Link Posted: 4/9/2022 12:14:14 AM EDT
[#38]

View All Quotes

Spare Cable

There is not a separate POE brick to power the dish on V2. It’s built into the router. So you basically have to use it.
Link Posted: 4/9/2022 12:17:17 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 4/9/2022 1:08:36 AM EDT
[#40]
:Order now to reserve your Starlink. Starlink is currently at capacity in your area, so your order may not be fulfilled until 2023 or later. You will receive a notification once your Starlink is ready to ship."

Link Posted: 4/10/2022 10:33:46 PM EDT
[#41]
Got ours Friday and so far it's been great, especially compared to what we had. The FedEx driver said that he had six of them on his truck to be delivered that day in our area.
Link Posted: 4/10/2022 10:36:03 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By CherokeeRose:
:Order now to reserve your Starlink. Starlink is currently at capacity in your area, so your order may not be fulfilled until 2023 or later. You will receive a notification once your Starlink is ready to ship."

View Quote

I get the same but at a family members address it will ship right now. I wonder what sort of problems i could run into by using that kit in an over saturated cell.

Anyone have any ideas?
Link Posted: 4/10/2022 10:43:55 PM EDT
[#43]

View All Quotes

I have the same issue with tmobile. It says no service but this are has 5g tmobile coverage. I'm picking up the unit tomorrow. If it doesn’t work then I’m not out hardly anything.
Link Posted: 4/11/2022 8:57:46 AM EDT
[#44]
got my "Your Starlink is ready!  Confirm your order" email yesterday.  Says it should ship within two weeks.  Light at the end of the tunnel
Link Posted: 4/11/2022 1:29:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MidMichHunter] [#45]
Originally Posted By rollin-tumblin:
got my "Your Starlink is ready!  Confirm your order" email yesterday.  Says it should ship within two weeks.  Light at the end of the tunnel
View Quote

Just got "Your Starlink is ready" email this morning, order confirmed, added an ethernet adapter & payment sent, now just 2 more weeks...
Link Posted: 4/11/2022 1:51:20 PM EDT
[#46]
Just received my confirmation email this afternoon.

But I'm up in the air. I'm getting ~150 mbps on T-Mobile right now. And I'm not sure the extra cost of the equipment and the $50 more a month in service is worth it?

Says I have 7 days to decide.
Link Posted: 4/11/2022 1:58:15 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By aod886:
Just received my confirmation email this afternoon.

But I'm up in the air. I'm getting ~150 mbps on T-Mobile right now. And I'm not sure the extra cost of the equipment and the $50 more a month in service is worth it?

Says I have 7 days to decide.
View Quote

I'd stay with T-Mobile and save the money.
Link Posted: 4/11/2022 2:02:24 PM EDT
[#48]

There is not a separate POE brick to power the dish on V2. It’s built into the router. So you basically have to use it.
View All Quotes

Spare Cable

Not necessarily. https://dishypowa.com/
Link Posted: 4/11/2022 2:06:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: NotRyan] [#49]
Link Posted: 4/11/2022 4:36:17 PM EDT
[#50]

$1250-1300 saved in the first year, $600 cheaper a year after that.

Now I've already shared my T-Mobile story in here... fuck Tmobile..T-Mobile... good luck getting faulty equipment replaced.

Good thing is, in a year or so if you want to switch to Starlink. Your chances of being able to get in a cell should be far greater.
View Quote

I'm not hitching my wagon to T-Mobile. But thus far no issues. Either service or hardware.
Page / 81
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top