Page / 81
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 9:34:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Sir Admiral Elton
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 9:38:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By MrZeat:

That would be really annoying, any obstructions? Need one of these?

https://preview.redd.it/rkktkrkysov71.jpg?width=373&auto=webp&s=2310dcf6e814dd0e60b9b22251224f8890912343
View Quote

Or a chainsaw.....
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 9:47:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By AmericanPeople:

I had a article notice on my phone that mentioned these delays.   I can't find it.   Now I have found it.

SpaceX Pushes Wait Times for Starlink to 'Late 2022, Early 2023' for More Areas

The later delivery times appears to be for new people placing orders.
View Quote

We are still tagged for mid to late 2021 in Western VT 🤞
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 9:50:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By 9mmprn:
My account still says mid to late 2021 before we will get our Starlink .  Currently sitting on a sailboat in Port Townsend Washington.  No internet in the marina and Verizon and T mobile reception is absolute shit here, especially for downloads or streaming.  

First world problems?  Maybe, but the wife and I are trying to run a bookkeeping business remotely and Starlink is the only affordable option (potential option anyway) for us being able to communicate with clients 24/7 as we sail further away from cell service.  As it is now we will not be able to cross oceans without severely restricting our ability to take on new work.  Of course, this is all based on Elon’s mention of Starlink being able to go marine mobile late this year.  If not I’ll have to start a smuggling operation or something.  Not moving back to land!  

View Quote

@9mmprn
On my last commercial boat we hadan internet package through ourvsat phone plan. We could stream tv while offshore.
Link Posted: 11/1/2021 1:14:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Starlink has apparently exited beta

Starlink has apparently just exited its beta status. SpaceX CEO Elon Musk said in September that it would emerge from beta in October, and the word "beta" was deleted from descriptions on the Starlink homepage late last week. The website was also updated to advertise "download speeds between 100Mbps and 200Mbps and latency as low as 20ms in most locations," an improvement over the previously stated "50Mbps to 150Mbps and latency from 20ms to 40ms in most locations."
View Quote
Link Posted: 11/1/2021 3:24:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By cb4017:

It does.  Not sure why that slowed down.  Lucky that I don't upload much.

ETA:  Just checked the Starlink website.  If I plug my address into the order page it shows available early to mid 2022.  If I check my account it still shows mid to late 2021.  Weird.
View Quote
Just checked. That's what I got too.
Link Posted: 11/1/2021 10:05:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By aod886:

I believe that's because its first come first served.  Creating a "new address" is in essence creating a new account. Putting you at the bottom of the list.

Just a theory though.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By t75fnaco3pwzhd:
So my preorder is still showing mid to late '21, but I noticed that if I open up an incognito window and try to create a new order for my address it shows late '22 to early '23

I believe that's because its first come first served.  Creating a "new address" is in essence creating a new account. Putting you at the bottom of the list.

Just a theory though.

Could be.  An update would be nice, been waiting for a year.
Link Posted: 11/1/2021 10:16:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By mi650:

View Quote
Careful what you ask for, the only update I've had so far pushed my availability date out from early /middle 2021 to mid/late 21. Still showing mid/late 2021 for now, I'm expecting another update kicking it out until next year anytime now.
Link Posted: 11/1/2021 10:17:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By pcsutton:
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By pcsutton:
Originally Posted By cb4017:
ETA:  Just checked the Starlink website.  If I plug my address into the order page it shows available early to mid 2022.  If I check my account it still shows mid to late 2021.  Weird.
Same here. They're running out of year pretty quickly.
Link Posted: 11/2/2021 12:24:11 AM EDT
[#10]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By t75fnaco3pwzhd:
So my preorder is still showing mid to late '21, but I noticed that if I open up an incognito window and try to create a new order for my address it shows late '22 to early '23

Just a theory though.

It literally says “first come first served” on the starlink home page
Link Posted: 11/2/2021 9:21:44 AM EDT
[#11]
Starlink is going to be getting some competition, sometime, maybe.  Badyal formally worked for SpaceX on Starlink before he was let go.  Kuiper has to have half (1,600) of their satellites in orbit by 2026 and the remainder by 2029 in order to keep their license.  Long road ahead to pull that off.

Amazon to launch 1st prototype internet satellites for Kuiper constellation in 2022

Amazon aims to launch the first two prototype satellites for its huge Project Kuiper broadband constellation in 2022.

The two spacecraft, known as KuiperSat-1 and KuiperSat-2, will lift off from Florida's Cape Canaveral Space Force Station by the fourth quarter of next year, if all goes according to plan, the company announced today (Nov. 1).

The duo will test key technology for Project Kuiper, a constellation in low Earth orbit (LEO) that Amazon envisions consisting of more than 3,200 satellites eventually.

"We've invented lots of new technology to meet our cost and performance targets for Project Kuiper. All of the systems are testing well in simulated and lab settings, and we'll soon be ready to see how they perform in space," Rajeev Badyal, vice president of technology for Project Kuiper, said in a statement.

"There is no substitute for on-orbit testing, and we expect to learn a lot given the complexity and risk of operating in such a challenging environment," Badyal said. "We can't wait to get started."

KuiperSat-1 and KuiperSat-2 will reach orbit via the RS1, a new rocket developed by California-based ABL Space Systems. Amazon also announced today that it has signed a multi-launch deal with ABL to provide these early Project Kuiper launches.

The 88-foot-tall (27 meters) RS1 is capable of launching 2,975 pounds (1,350 kilograms) of payload to LEO, according to its ABL specifications page. ABL is charging $12 million for each launch of the two-stage rocket. The RS1 has not flown yet, but ABL has said that it aims to conduct a debut launch from Alaska's Pacific Spaceport Complex before the end of 2021.

Earlier this year, Amazon announced that it had signed a deal with United Launch Alliance, whose Atlas V rocket will loft operational Project Kuiper craft on nine different launches.
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/2/2021 9:33:56 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Pavelow16478:
Starlink is going to be getting some competition, sometime, maybe.  Badyal formally worked for SpaceX on Starlink before he was let go.  Kuiper has to have half (1,600) of their satellites in orbit by 2026 and the remainder by 2029 in order to keep their license.  Long road ahead to pull that off.

Amazon to launch 1st prototype internet satellites for Kuiper constellation in 2022

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Pavelow16478:

Amazon aims to launch the first two prototype satellites for its huge Project Kuiper broadband constellation in 2022.

The two spacecraft, known as KuiperSat-1 and KuiperSat-2, will lift off from Florida's Cape Canaveral Space Force Station by the fourth quarter of next year, if all goes according to plan, the company announced today (Nov. 1).

The duo will test key technology for Project Kuiper, a constellation in low Earth orbit (LEO) that Amazon envisions consisting of more than 3,200 satellites eventually.

"We've invented lots of new technology to meet our cost and performance targets for Project Kuiper. All of the systems are testing well in simulated and lab settings, and we'll soon be ready to see how they perform in space," Rajeev Badyal, vice president of technology for Project Kuiper, said in a statement.

"There is no substitute for on-orbit testing, and we expect to learn a lot given the complexity and risk of operating in such a challenging environment," Badyal said. "We can't wait to get started."

KuiperSat-1 and KuiperSat-2 will reach orbit via the RS1, a new rocket developed by California-based ABL Space Systems. Amazon also announced today that it has signed a multi-launch deal with ABL to provide these early Project Kuiper launches.

The 88-foot-tall (27 meters) RS1 is capable of launching 2,975 pounds (1,350 kilograms) of payload to LEO, according to its ABL specifications page. ABL is charging $12 million for each launch of the two-stage rocket. The RS1 has not flown yet, but ABL has said that it aims to conduct a debut launch from Alaska's Pacific Spaceport Complex before the end of 2021.

Earlier this year, Amazon announced that it had signed a deal with United Launch Alliance, whose Atlas V rocket will loft operational Project Kuiper craft on nine different launches.

Yeah, but fuck Amazon though
Link Posted: 11/2/2021 9:38:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ridinshotgun] [#13]
So Starlink is gonna use those new lasers installed in their satellites to have a shooting war with Amazon!  I see the corporate wars breaking out!
Link Posted: 11/3/2021 11:36:38 AM EDT
[#14]
SpaceX: Chip shortage is impacting “our ability to fulfill” Starlink orders

"If you ordered Starlink broadband service and don't receive your "Dishy McFlatface" satellite dish any time soon, the global chip shortage may be one reason why.

"Silicon shortages have delayed production which has impacted our ability to fulfill orders. Please visit your Account page for the most recent estimate on when you can expect your order to be fulfilled," SpaceX said in an FAQ on the Starlink support website. The language was added to the Starlink website on Thursday night, according to a PCMag article."
Link Posted: 11/3/2021 6:25:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Starlink flights 2-2 and 2-3 have been delayed.  If these also are laser crosslink equipped, could there be an issue with the first batch of crosslink satellites (mission 2-1)?
Link Posted: 11/3/2021 11:29:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Starlink flights 2-2 and 2-3 have been delayed.  If these also are laser crosslink equipped, could there be an issue with the first batch of crosslink satellites (mission 2-1)?
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/6/2021 5:36:12 PM EDT
[#17]
SpaceX Starlink Internet Is Now Available In Mexico

"SpaceX Starlink broadband satellite internet service is now available in Mexico. The company registered its broadband branch as 'Starlink Satellite Systems México, S. de RL de CV' and it already has regulatory permission from the Ministry of Finance and the Federal Institute of Telecommunications (IFT) to begin operations across the country.

SpaceX sent emails to potential customers who signed up via Starlink.com to receive updates about when the service would be available in their region. SpaceX wrote the email in Spanish language, informing the public about how they can pre-order the service to reserve a spot through the web portal and what they can expect from the satellite constellation. "
Link Posted: 11/6/2021 5:42:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Starlink delays orders by years for unlucky customers who played with the site’s digital map

"

It was an exciting moment when Starlink rolled out preorders for its satellite internet service in February since it can potentially provide faster speed and better service to those in rural areas or with spotty internet access. But a single feature on the Starlink site is causing preorders to be delayed by years and there appears to be no fix in sight, an issue first spotted by Ars Technica.
"“If you don’t already have service and move your address you go straight to the back of the line”"

According to the report, some users on the r/Starlink subreddit moved their service area by just a few feet using the digital map tool on the site and wound up having their preorder dates moved from late 2021 to as far as 2023. One user wrote, “I moved it from the end of my driveway to my house this morning and just looked back and it had changed to 2022-2023.” In the same conversation, another noted, “I moved the location from my barn to my house which is literally 13 feet in real-time and now I'm mid to late 2022.”

As Ars Technica notes, the map tool was always on the site, but Starlink recently made some changes to the site’s layout and also removed any mention of Starlink being in beta. The update seemed to have pushed the map tool to a more prominent location and also gave users a notification to check their location for “accuracy.” Naturally, anyone excitedly checking the status of their preorder would feel inclined to change their service location if they noticed an error.

Apparently, this type of preorder delay with Starlink isn’t a new issue either — it’s just been become more common due to the new map location. Another Reddit user says “people here have been warning others about it for nearly a year now. If you don’t already have service and move your address you go straight to the back of the line.”"

If you do not have service yet changing the future location of the dish on the SpaceX website may delay your dish a long time.

Link Posted: 11/6/2021 7:40:43 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 11/7/2021 8:40:53 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By ZW17:

Just making excuses to why third world counties like Mexico will get it before Americans.

Fuck Starlink. They sold us out while taking our tax dollars.
View Quote
Great, Starlink for Mexico, still can't get it in Wyoming
Link Posted: 11/7/2021 9:39:12 AM EDT
[#21]
Deposit placed 2/2/21

Refund will be requested tomorrow.

Local ISP, who told me in January they would never run fiber out to where I live, marked the street for their fiber installation on Friday.  Should be installed in a week or so.

Too expensive for the 1Gb symmetric, but it's a write off. When I retire I'll drop it down to the much cheaper 1000/100 service.
Link Posted: 11/7/2021 10:25:32 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By DavidC:
Deposit placed 2/2/21

Local ISP, who told me in January they would never run fiber out to where I live, marked the street for their fiber installation on Friday.  Should be installed in a week or so.

Too expensive for the 1Gb symmetric, but it's a write off. When I retire I'll drop it down to the much cheaper 1000/100 service.
View Quote

Good. I move up in line again
Link Posted: 11/7/2021 11:19:25 AM EDT
[#23]
Deposit placed 2/2/21

View Quote

Wait until the fiber is installed and operational for a short period before giving up your spot with Starlink.
Link Posted: 11/7/2021 11:22:53 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Seabee_Mech:
Great, Starlink for Mexico, still can't get it in Wyoming
View Quote

As I understand it, a given satellite can only support a finite number of users in a given area...maybe that is called a cell.  Once that satellite moves out of your area, it can support users in other areas...including Mexico....and have zero impact on your coverage.

I don't know all the details but it may require more satellites on-orbit, more ground stations, laser crosslinks or higher capacity satellites for you to get service.

You should have an estimated dish delivery time/period.
Link Posted: 11/7/2021 4:57:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ZW17] [#25]
Link Posted: 11/7/2021 5:39:06 PM EDT
[#26]

Wait until the fiber is installed and operational for a short period before giving up your spot with Starlink.
View Quote

Probably a good idea. It's not like I'm hurting for that $99.
Link Posted: 11/10/2021 10:50:01 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 11/10/2021 10:57:24 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 11/11/2021 1:12:13 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By narphenal:
Mines still showing 2021.

I hope to god that’s true. I’m back working rural and currently on ViaSat.

It actually used to be usable. Now it is absolute garbage, and there is some incredibly obvious throttling shenanigans going on with it. No one has been connected to this network for over a month, was working fine the first night, now it’s stuck at continuous <1Mbps.

Based Elon, you’re my only hope.
View Quote

I was late 2021 and now its late 2022.

ETX here not far from Dallas.
Link Posted: 11/11/2021 1:14:33 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By DaTrueDave:

You don't think it's just a difference for pre-orders and new orders?
View Quote

This is what mine is showing as well.

New purchase is late 2022 and logged in it shows late 2021.
Link Posted: 11/11/2021 1:24:54 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By pumbaajk:

I was late 2021 and now its late 2022.

ETX here not far from Dallas.
View Quote

East TX also.  Registered early February and have not heard anything from Starlink.  

Have not mucked around with the map either.

Semper Fi
Link Posted: 11/11/2021 1:35:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Possumluke] [#32]
NW Arkansas here. Paid deposit in February. Was originally told mid to late 2021. When I just now checked, we've been pushed back to "early to mid 2022".

Wife is working from home due to religious exemption to vaccine. We're currently using all our phone data and running 3 jet packs to make it work. No other options in the area but dial-up.

We really need Starlink!
Save us Elon, you're our only hope!

ETA: just signed in, still mid to late 2021. Whew.
Above statement stands.
Link Posted: 11/12/2021 3:29:49 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 11/12/2021 9:22:06 AM EDT
[#34]
View Quote

Ugh, that ping.  I thought people were getting sub-20 pings?
Link Posted: 11/12/2021 9:25:29 PM EDT
[#35]
SpaceX Releases A New Starlink Antenna & Wi-Fi Router To Connect To The Satellite Broadband Internet Network

"On Wednesday, November 10, SpaceX updated its Starlink.com website with photographs of a new Starlink antenna and Wi-Fi router design to connect to the satellite broadband internet network. The company's updated website suggests that the new devices are already available for pre-order. The first phased-array antenna design is circular, the new antenna design is rectangular. The previous Wi-Fi router was a geometric shaped device, the new one looks like a small square that features a graphic that SpaceX founder Elon Musk said is the "orbital transfer ellipse from Earth to Mars." The devices are expected to remain the same price as the original - $499 USD, plus a $99 per month internet subscription fee.

Even though the new antenna design is less expensive to produce, the cost for customers will remain the same. "We’re not passing on the cost reductions yet to our customers. We certainly hope to do that in the not-too-distant future," he (SpaceX's Chief Financial Officer Bret Johnsen) said."

Link Posted: 11/13/2021 8:37:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: pdm] [#36]
View All Quotes

WP is the way to go.

Deposit placed 2/2/21

I spoke with a guy that lives down the mountain from me and he mentioned that my county received TN grant money for fiber a few months ago and that we should expect it sometime next year. I'm still keeping my place in line for SL but don't anticipate needing it. We'll see....
Link Posted: 11/13/2021 9:43:06 AM EDT
[#37]
SpaceX Releases A New Starlink Antenna & Wi-Fi Router To Connect To The Satellite Broadband Internet Network

"On Wednesday, November 10, SpaceX updated its Starlink.com website with photographs of a new Starlink antenna and Wi-Fi router design to connect to the satellite broadband internet network. The company's updated website suggests that the new devices are already available for pre-order. The first phased-array antenna design is circular, the new antenna design is rectangular. The previous Wi-Fi router was a geometric shaped device, the new one looks like a small square that features a graphic that SpaceX founder Elon Musk said is the "orbital transfer ellipse from Earth to Mars." The devices are expected to remain the same price as the original - $499 USD, plus a $99 per month internet subscription fee.

Even though the new antenna design is less expensive to produce, the cost for customers will remain the same. "We’re not passing on the cost reductions yet to our customers. We certainly hope to do that in the not-too-distant future," he (SpaceX's Chief Financial Officer Bret Johnsen) said."

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0173/8204/7844/articles/Screenshot_20211110-231318_Chrome_1024x1024.jpg?v=1636607859
View Quote

I just read that the new router does not have an ethernet connection, but that there will be an adapter available for purchase.  I wonder if the adapter is still going to use wireless, or if it's some sort of wired adapter.
Link Posted: 11/13/2021 9:49:09 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Pavelow16478] [#38]

I just read that the new router does not have an ethernet connection, but that there will be an adapter available for purchase.  I wonder if the adapter is still going to use wireless, or if it's some sort of wired adapter.
View Quote

Looks like it's wired

https://shop.starlink.com/products/us-consumer-ethernet-adapter-gen2
Link Posted: 11/13/2021 9:57:30 AM EDT
[#39]

That's good.  And, while it sucks that it's not included as part of the router, $20 isn't bad for an adapter.
Link Posted: 11/13/2021 10:12:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Klee] [#40]

View Quote

Logged in for the first time in a month or two and there is a new "shopping" section with a few things.

Still shows "Mid to Late 2021" for me, and I DID NOT try to update my location.

Looks like the new hardware lets you unplug the antenna cable, should make things a bit easier to route the cable.

EDIT: It wont let me add anything to my cart.

Ethernet adapter:

Stuff for sale:

Link Posted: 11/13/2021 10:24:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AmericanPeople] [#41]
I could not get to the ethernet adapter link.  How many ports does it have?  On my T-Mobile unit. it has two ports and both are used.  One more might be nice.

Klee...thanks for all the pictures.
Link Posted: 11/13/2021 10:25:41 AM EDT
[#42]

Ugh, that ping.  I thought people were getting sub-20 pings?
View Quote

That's about what I get via my phones's hot spot, and i'm about ~800 feet from the cell tower.
Link Posted: 11/13/2021 10:26:59 AM EDT
[#43]
I could not get to the ethernet adapter link.  How many ports does it have?  On my T-Mobile unit. it has two ports and both are used.  One more might be nice.
View Quote

Just 1.  Let's you plug in another router or a switch.  I'll be buying it and using it to connect my switch, which feeds multiple buildings.
Link Posted: 11/13/2021 10:36:18 AM EDT
[#44]
View Quote

Looks like one port, my guess is you need another router between the adapter and your network.

I don't know if you could just plug a network switch into the adapter.

All my network is wired, the only time my wireless is used is when one of my kids is here.

I have eleven computers connected on my lan.

My current setup:

Phone hotspot goes to a laptop with a usb wifi adapter sharing that connection to a WRT router then vis Ethernet to three network switches in different parts of the house to the computers.

It works.
Link Posted: 11/13/2021 4:22:02 PM EDT
[#45]
Does anyone know if their router is also the modem, or is the modem in the dish?
Link Posted: 11/14/2021 1:12:19 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 11/14/2021 2:45:51 AM EDT
[#47]
Going on close to a year with starlink now. Couldn't be happier about it. Checked my address a day ago and if I were to sign up today I wouldn't have service til "2023 or later". Yikes
Link Posted: 11/14/2021 8:16:35 AM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By RyanEsstac:
99% sure the router & modem are the same device.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By RyanEsstac:
Does anyone know if their router is also the modem, or is the modem in the dish?
99% sure the router & modem are the same device.

Looks like that's true;

Link Posted: 11/14/2021 8:18:56 AM EDT
[#49]
View Quote

The router is the modem. The dish is only for receiving/sending while the modulation is done in the indoors hardware.
Link Posted: 11/14/2021 8:46:57 AM EDT
[#50]
Signed up in February, they processed my payment mid March.  Still waiting.

Semper Fi
Page / 81
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top