BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 2/21/2023 7:38:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Old trucks are great

Link Posted: 2/21/2023 7:41:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Not these days . Cool truck with the money you saved you can make it perfectly reliable and still saved thousands

Eta but I drive a 67 land cruiser and don't need a flat screen and lane keeping bs like most of these ......
Link Posted: 2/21/2023 7:45:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

And another question is how in the fuck is it physically possible to put 70k miles on a two year old truck?

View Quote

Actually, this is not hard to do, had a few vehicles I traded with 100k to 120 K on them at 3 years.

Between business and personal miles its not hard to rack up 35 to 40K a year.

I'm a Field Service Engineer.
Link Posted: 2/21/2023 7:53:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Actually, this is not hard to do, had a few vehicles I traded with 100k to 120 K on them at 3 years.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And another question is how in the fuck is it physically possible to put 70k miles on a two year old truck?

If I didn't have 5 vehicles I could easily rack up 40K a year on my truck. Since I can spread the driving around I only have 112k on my 2018 Sierra.
Link Posted: 2/21/2023 7:57:38 PM EDT
[#5]
My 68 is priceless.

Link Posted: 2/21/2023 8:09:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The Ford High Boys are now the classic Mustang status.  One of the best looking trucks Ford made.  

My 77 Bronco started out as a drivable vehicle but a lot of bondo over rust, I have put a lot of money into it

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/16476/7D30701C-D39D-470D-A7EF-963035CE2207-1875868.jpg

Now it looks like this....

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/16476/42B57BFF-3E77-4121-AA6D-3DFA44EECB76-2652333.jpg
View Quote

Nice Bronco! I love the red paint!
Link Posted: 2/21/2023 8:10:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

A friend of mine just bought a 4x4 2017 gmc sierra with 200k miles for ...........21,000.

I about fell down when she told me.
View Quote

That is completely retarded.
Link Posted: 2/21/2023 8:15:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Heck C4 vettes that used to sell for $5K are pulling $20K + now.

I'm seeing 70's K5 Chevys that are semi restored pull $50-$75K

I know a guy who sold a stock appearing 72 K5 for $300K at the Barret auction. It was faaar from stock though.
Link Posted: 2/21/2023 8:16:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

If I didn't have 5 vehicles I could easily rack up 40K a year on my truck. Since I can spread the driving around I only have 112k on my 2018 Sierra.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have a company car now, it gets the business miles, I have a 2017 Sierra bought new with less than 60K on it.
Link Posted: 2/21/2023 8:17:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 2/21/2023 8:22:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I bought this a few years ago right before these trucks went nuts on price.  I've been thinking of selling it while they're still worth crazy money, but I might just hang on to it now.  94K miles on it now, but I only put a couple thousand a year on it.

I guess if the right offer came along I'd be tempted to let it go.  

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/113716/20200425_153313-1490368.jpg
View Quote

Gets you a bad case of sellers remorse.
Link Posted: 2/21/2023 8:26:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 2/21/2023 8:26:59 PM EDT
[#13]
I want a 1st gen cummins. But for 40k.
Link Posted: 2/22/2023 7:32:19 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I'm doing about 25k a year in mine, and we just drive back and forth to jobs.

I can easily see 35k a year if you drive a lot.
View Quote

I admit I am a bit biased with only 80 miles of pavement,  but it still seems excessive to me.
Link Posted: 2/22/2023 8:01:14 AM EDT
[#15]
I'm thinking of selling my 2006 f250 with 92k miles for $16k. I don't think that's unreasonable.
Link Posted: 2/22/2023 8:11:22 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I'm thinking of selling my 2006 f250 with 92k miles for $16k. I don't think that's unreasonable.
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/22/2023 8:13:24 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
It wasn't that long ago that you couldn't give away a long bed.  Those trucks are heavy tanks and really NEED a 460 to move them out of their own way.  If it still has a cat on it and most of its smog devices, it is probably a dog.

With 92K on the clock, that engine really needs to come apart.  It likely needs rings, bearings, and valve seals, if not a complete valve job.  When rebuilt, it will not make any more power unless you change the heads, cam, carb, and exhaust.  Ford made some pretty disappointing engines in that era.

Yes, it is overpriced for its features.
View Quote

Absolutely nothing in this post is true or relevant. Impressive.
Link Posted: 2/22/2023 9:01:46 AM EDT
[#18]
There are plenty of people who would gladly pay a premium for a nice older truck that's in great shape, easy to work on, and not full of computers and emissions control devices that can act up and cause problems. Plus, when new trucks are $50K++.....paying $30K for an old truck doesn't seem that crazy.....
Link Posted: 2/22/2023 9:08:15 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Plus, when new trucks are $50K++.....paying $30K for an old truck doesn't seem that crazy.....
View Quote

That makes it seem even crazier. For 60% of the cost you are getting 20% of the truck. Weaker frames, smaller brakes, less power under the hood, etc.
Link Posted: 2/22/2023 9:15:49 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

The rust is much worse than what you can actually see.  It always is.

https://i.imgur.com/TmkZNiX.jpg

Math this out at a shop rate of $150 per hour:

https://i.imgur.com/KmOGaFJ.jpg
View Quote

Lol. Arizona boy talking about rust.
Link Posted: 2/22/2023 9:17:31 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
There are a few reasons why:
Flow of new trucks into the market is still constrained.
Older 2000s trucks are falling out of the market (being retired to salvage) faster than expected due to poor quality while 90s and older trucks are still holding reliable.
People are shunning 100k price tags for new trucks
People don't want the complex maintenence tasks with new trucks
People don't want all the technology involved.
View Quote

All of which are why I love my 2015 Tacoma.
Link Posted: 2/22/2023 9:28:29 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

That makes it seem even crazier. For 60% of the cost you are getting 20% of the truck. Weaker frames, smaller brakes, less power under the hood, etc.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Plus, when new trucks are $50K++.....paying $30K for an old truck doesn't seem that crazy.....

The allure for me is that I can keep one running indefinitely. There really isn't anything I haven't completely rebuilt on my '68.

Flip side to being able to work on it is that you actually have to work on it...a lot by modern standards. Not for everyone.
Link Posted: 2/22/2023 9:29:36 AM EDT
[#23]
My DD is a 94 F150 2wd. I bought it in '01 for $5k.  Body is still straight, but the factory clearcoat has finally given up the ghost on the hood and roof. Still stock, except for headers and true dual exhaust.

I was getting gas a few days ago, when a guy in a brand new lifted bro-dozer pulls up, flashes a wad of 100s, and offers me $10k for it.
Link Posted: 2/22/2023 9:38:29 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

The allure for me is that I can keep one running indefinitely. There really isn't anything I haven't completely rebuilt on my '68.

Flip side to being able to work on it is that you actually have to work on it...a lot by modern standards. Not for everyone.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, I still have a timing light around here somewhere.

Every spring and fall I would have to go out and adjust the carb and check the timing on my Jeep.

I never did the timing on my Chevy, but still had to do the bi-annual carb tune when the weather changed.

Not my favorite thing.

I also wasn't too fond of stalls during steep ascents or descents with the Jeep because the carb would starve itself.
Link Posted: 2/22/2023 9:43:01 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A friend of mine just bought a 4x4 2017 gmc sierra with 200k miles for ...........21,000.

The best part is her husband found out about the truck when she pulled into their driveway.
Link Posted: 2/22/2023 9:43:19 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
There are a few reasons why:
Flow of new trucks into the market is still constrained.
Older 2000s trucks are falling out of the market (being retired to salvage) faster than expected due to poor quality while 90s and older trucks are still holding reliable.
People are shunning 100k price tags for new trucks
People don't want the complex maintenence tasks with new trucks
People don't want all the technology involved.
View Quote

You nailed it. I have a 2003 Chevy s10 with around 60k miles with zero rust and I can fix nearly most issues that arise. I’m not mechanically inclined but with a brother that was I can call across the country and YouTube videos I’m confident I can do it.I also have a bare bones 04 Dodge Ram for my salt season.
Link Posted: 2/22/2023 9:45:09 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
It’s obscene.  92-96 fords are terrible now too.  I bought one new for 10k in 91. They go for that now.

4wd tax triples the price.  

I’ve decided to keep my 92 2wd F250 and fix it up and I don’t even really want it
View Quote

I need to sell my dad’s 96 F350, 7.2, crew cab, long bed, dually.
Link Posted: 2/22/2023 9:48:31 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I've been trying to figure out what to ask for my dad's old 93 Chevy. Has a 350 5 speed manual.  Body is clean and the interior is filthy with dog hair but not torn up. Needs some exhaust work. Has about 55k miles.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/475357/20230221_144746_jpg-2719724.JPG
View Quote

If it truly is trouble free, rust free and has 55k miles, then I'd put the value ~$15k.  Polish it up as much as possible, inside and out, and put it on bring a trailer, and it could push $18k to $20k.

The trick would be to advertise it up north.  Trucks in that shape are unobtainium in the rust belt.

ETA:
@O_Guiness
Link Posted: 2/22/2023 9:49:00 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

The best part is her husband found out about the truck when she pulled into their driveway.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/22/2023 9:49:26 AM EDT
[#30]
In those years you wanted the 300 with 4 speed bulldog.

miss mine. Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/22/2023 9:52:13 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Yes.  Towing with my V6 Toyota SR5 was easier than with my 2WD F250.  You pretty much needed a kidney belt in the Ford, the ride was shit for such a heavy truck.

The front ends were horrible on the 2WD trucks, the split I-beams made the trucks into orbital sanders over 55mph.  I had one and changed every part on the front and it still shook.  A friend bought it and repeated, truck still shook.  Two owner later still cussed me over the shaking, but it was a Ford thing.  New wheels, tires, steering stabilizer...not one fucking thing makes those trucks run down the road any better.  It was a pretty well known thing.

I would hope the 4WD had a bit better front end, but the trucks still ride like shit.

I bought a 789 Chevy C-30.  It was a Cadillac by comparison.  Even newer body style Fords still rode like shit with the twin I beam.
View Quote
Back up and watch the front wheels do this / \ is disconcerting.  
Link Posted: 2/22/2023 9:52:17 AM EDT
[#32]
So these are NOt good solutions for the Dave Ramsay folks or???
Link Posted: 2/22/2023 9:52:56 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

If it truly is trouble free, rust free and has 55k miles, then I'd put the value ~$15k.  Polish it up as much as possible, inside and out, and put it on bring a trailer, and it could push $18k to $20k.

The trick would be to advertise it up north.  Trucks in that shape are unobtainium in the rust belt.

ETA:
@O_Guiness
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've been trying to figure out what to ask for my dad's old 93 Chevy. Has a 350 5 speed manual.  Body is clean and the interior is filthy with dog hair but not torn up. Needs some exhaust work. Has about 55k miles.

ETA:
@O_Guiness

He’s right about us up north guys. I only buy vehicles from the coasts or down south anymore.

My s10 was in va and my dodge was from md.
Link Posted: 2/22/2023 9:55:26 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I agree the used truck market is whacked.
$30 grand for 100k+ mile trucks is crazy.
Do you have people staged around the country just driving it from coast to coast in shifts or something with a tanker truck pacing it on the highway for refills?
View Quote

That’s only a 135 miles a day, 5 times a week, which is nothing if you’re using it for business.  96 miles a day if you’re using it for business and personal.  30 mile commute or so to a job.  Drive around to get parts / tools / equipment / supplies / etc - another 30 miles or more.  Go see new jobs to quote.  Go out for lunch.  Get home. Go to the store. Drive to see the kids game.

Pretty quick 35,000 miles.  About 2.5 hours of driving a day. Add in a decent road trip, or long trip to the airport… yeah.

Edit:

I’ll have 6000 miles on my new raptor, this week. I got it December 15th.
Link Posted: 2/22/2023 9:55:55 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
There are plenty of people who would gladly pay a premium for a nice older truck that's in great shape, easy to work on, and not full of computers and emissions control devices that can act up and cause problems. Plus, when new trucks are $50K++.....paying $30K for an old truck doesn't seem that crazy.....
View Quote

I took a 1965 F-100 and crammed as many computers and modern tech in it that I could, I am probably close to 70K on the build so far.

It's awesome!  
Link Posted: 2/22/2023 9:57:01 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

He’s right about us up north guys. I only buy vehicles from the coasts or down south anymore.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

ETA:
@O_Guiness

I went through a few trucks where I refused to buy them from anywhere north of VA.

Had good luck doing that, but I think everyone else got the same idea real fast, prices started to sky rocket on them.

I looked all over the country in 2020 for a decent work truck, prices were absurd (and only got worse) so I just ordered a new one instead.

I wasn't going to pay 40 grand for a truck with 100k miles on it and an average lifetime speed of 35mph that was way out of warranty when I could just order a new one for 60.

The one I ordered actually came in at 51k, but then I couldn't take delivery because of the delay. I drove 3 hours to buy one with a higher trim package right off a lot for 57k. I wish they would have gotten my order done faster though, I spec'd it with the lower gearing and a few other small options I wanted.
Link Posted: 2/22/2023 9:57:38 AM EDT
[#37]
We rebuilt a 1998 F150 4wd 4.6L during covid.

Pulled the engine, trans, transfer cae, and front/rear differentials.

Not a small job but we had access to the right tools and equipment.

Spent $1200 on getting the engine machined and another $800 on pistons/rings/gaskets/seals and timing gears. $200 spark plug thread fix was not required but gave us piece of mind.

Lucky for us, the transfer case and diffs just needed new seals and bearings.

Trans got all new clutch plates and a "shift kit". Torque converter was in perfect shape. $700

Took all summer to get it all done. $200 headers and $80 mafs later and we get 22mpg on the highway with no load.

We added an e-fan kit for $500 and called it good.

Sure, $3k was alot of $$$ to spend on a 20+ yr old pockup, but the cost of one with only 50k less miles was 3x what we spent in parts.

1/2 and 3/4 ton 4wd trucks w/o all the goofy shit is making them highly sought after.

Diesel 3/4 ton pickups command insane prices.
Link Posted: 2/22/2023 10:02:50 AM EDT
[#38]
OP, does that truck come with graboids or are those extra?
Link Posted: 2/22/2023 10:03:47 AM EDT
[#39]
Guy is smokin crack.
Link Posted: 2/22/2023 10:06:22 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 2/22/2023 10:12:32 AM EDT
[#41]
Its bananas what they are dragging down for nice ones these days.   I picked up 2 K10's last year and after adding shit to them Im around 22-25k into each of them.  Both have new crate engines, 4" lifts, and tires/wheels.  The blue one has a whole bunch of shit done (engine, trans, transfer, wiring harness, vintage air, and is basically new front to back under it) but still need to get all the body panels lined back up from pulling it apart.

Currently putting together another project.  I picked up this old suburban to pull the drivetrain out of for another short K10 project but after I picked up the donor cab truck and got a good look at her I may turn the C10 into a K10 long bed since I have all the parts on hand to do it.  I currently have the motor apart from the suburban putting new rings and bearings in it.  It had 160+ on compression on each cylinder so I was a bit hesitant to pull it apart and go after it but worst case I have a Blueprint/Holley crate engine in the corner.  

I was building AK's for something to fuck around with but lately have kind of lost interest in building guns.
Link Posted: 2/22/2023 10:17:57 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Its bananas what they are dragging down for nice ones these days.   I picked up 2 K10's last year and after adding shit to them Im around 22-25k into each of them.  Both have new crate engines, 4" lifts, and tires/wheels.  The blue one has a whole bunch of shit done (engine, trans, transfer, wiring harness, vintage air, and is basically new front to back under it) but still need to get all the body panels lined back up from pulling it apart.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/43495/D3AFC3E6-0717-4B36-9806-A0DF0BA8DBF2-2639947.jpg

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/43495/699F15C0-439D-41C6-BE18-9CA6AD3B7F7B-2599343.jpg

Currently putting together another project.  I picked up this old suburban to pull the drivetrain out of for another short K10 project but after I picked up the donor cab truck and got a good look at her I may turn the C10 into a K10 long bed since I have all the parts on hand to do it.  I currently have the motor apart from the suburban putting new rings and bearings in it.  It had 160+ on compression on each cylinder so I was a bit hesitant to pull it apart and go after it but worst case I have a Blueprint/Holley crate engine in the corner.  

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/43495/1A3F4A2E-E74D-4EF7-91BE-54D18A6FF24A-2720407.jpg
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/43495/EC0A4913-FEC8-44AC-A710-552B6C5669E8-2720409.jpg
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/43495/776347B7-04B8-41AA-AB8A-E4378D66B9E0-2690730.jpg

I was building AK's for something to fuck around with but lately have kind of lost interest in building guns.
View Quote

Look at those frames....lucky.

I had two of those trucks....both of them literally broke in half.
Link Posted: 2/22/2023 10:26:01 AM EDT
[#43]
Seems like the average price for a truck in that nice of condition. Classics are only going up.
Link Posted: 2/22/2023 10:31:02 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote

LOL This frame is why the Burb and Longbed is here but thinking about not even using it.  
Link Posted: 2/22/2023 10:32:00 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

LOL This frame is why the Burb and Longbed is here but thinking about not even using it.  
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/43495/524B3C2F-9F79-42DB-A96E-1ECFC2CF0558-2680942.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/43495/524B3C2F-9F79-42DB-A96E-1ECFC2CF0558-2680942.jpg

I can't believe we used to pull trailers with those....it looks so dainty.
Link Posted: 2/22/2023 10:36:14 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I can't believe we used to pull trailers with those....it looks so dainty.
View Quote

LOL yeah, when compared to the frames on my new trucks its shocking how much less there is.
Link Posted: 2/22/2023 10:40:39 AM EDT
[#47]
I saw one of these driving around a few weeks ago. First I've ever seen.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/22/2023 10:41:41 AM EDT
[#48]
I've got a 97' F250 with the 460 gas engine, winch, topper, and toolbox.  Just went over 100k on the odometer.  No rust whatsoever.  Bad thing is it gets 10 mpg going up the mountain or down.  A little less when pulling the 6,000 lb camper.  Pulling the 2,000 lb boat, doesn't even know it's back there.  If I could get 10k for it, might think about selling.
Link Posted: 2/22/2023 10:48:54 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I've got a 97' F250 with the 460 gas engine, winch, topper, and toolbox.  Just went over 100k on the odometer.  No rust whatsoever.  Bad thing is it gets 10 mpg going up the mountain or down.  A little less when pulling the 6,000 lb camper.  Pulling the 2,000 lb boat, doesn't even know it's back there.  If I could get 10k for it, might think about selling.
View Quote

Look around what's for sale in TX.   The diesels bring a little more but the 96/97 Ford 250/350 trucks are bringing good scratch in great condition.
Link Posted: 2/22/2023 11:29:08 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

ETA:
@O_Guiness
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

ETA:
@O_Guiness

How did you come up with that number?

That's an extended cab, long bed, 2WD, manual transmission truck in champagne brown. That's a very unpopular configuration.

I see this less as a hobby/project/show truck and more as just a solid old truck for weekend or part time use. I'd be really surprised if it could actually sell for that kind of money.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top