Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/29/2024 1:04:14 AM EDT
So it's an 01 or 02 Super Duty, 8' box, 4x4, 5.4 two valve engine, 4R100 trans, 180k on it.  Runs well enough, no mechanical problems other than rear brakes, which will be addressed.  What do I need to know about this truck? So far, I've been told to run 5w20 oil due to small oil passages in the engine, and expect 13.mpg.  I know the 4 valve engine has a bad reputation.  Whhat do I need to do to keep it going?
Link Posted: 6/29/2024 7:51:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Its a Ford.RUN!!!!!!
Link Posted: 6/29/2024 8:56:42 AM EDT
[#2]
Make sure the 3rd brake light works.
Link Posted: 6/29/2024 10:10:59 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Cantshootstrate] [#3]
Originally Posted By Ops:
So it's an 01 or 02 Super Duty, 8' box, 4x4, 5.4 two valve engine, 4R100 trans, 180k on it.  Runs well enough, no mechanical problems other than rear brakes, which will be addressed.  What do I need to know about this truck? So far, I've been told to run 5w20 oil due to small oil passages in the engine, and expect 13.mpg.  I know the 4 valve engine has a bad reputation.  Whhat do I need to do to keep it going?
View Quote

I have a 2006 supercab with the 4v and had these worries. I bought it used.

Ford trained mechanic buddy did the timing chain/cam phaser swap at 150k. Made me swear a blood oath to always use Mobil 1 5/20.

He also did the plugs, which are a nightmare if one breaks. Good news is that those long tipped plugs weren't in your 2002.

I think you're good mechanically, just pay attention if the motor gets really loud, that's the timing chain about to go.

Mine has been plagued with rust, lucky to have a welder-buddy who was able to weld in bed supports, spring brackets, and cab corners. Luckily the rattlecan rusto glossy white is a near perfect white ford paint match.

Link Posted: 6/29/2024 10:15:55 AM EDT
[#4]
The 5.4 either run for 500k miles or they yeet sparkplugs out of their holes.  There's not much in between.
Link Posted: 6/29/2024 11:27:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Rifleman_556] [#5]
You have a 2v, Ford switched to the 3v in the Super Duty in '05 (a year after the F150)

About the only issue with the 2v is blowing spark plugs out and manifold leaks. I've repaired quite a few blown plugs on 5.4s and 6.8s with the helicoil kit and never had another issue on that cylinder when done correctly.

Do the SRW trucks have inboard rear brakes? Both my DRWs do but I'm not a full time mechanic anymore and can't remember...

I knew a guy with a 6.8 in a 2wd Super Duty that could get 16mpg highway, average was 12-13 for running errands. IMO not terrible- I've got one 6.0 diesel that averages about 13mpg and another that gets single digits (fuel gauge doesn't work and the trip meter is flaky so I just estimate)

That's why I drive the Cummins to work now, 18-20mpg is a little easier on the wallet
Link Posted: 6/29/2024 4:54:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By number40Fan:
View Quote

As silly as it sounds make sure you check this. Damn ford electrical engineers
Link Posted: 6/29/2024 6:52:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Ops:
View Quote

Just run whatever oil you're supposed to - 5W30 will be fine or 0w30 if you want to be fancy.

change the brake fluid

4r100 - change the fluid, put a radiator sized transmission cooler on it. I think some of them might be able to fit a later model cooler that's huge.
Link Posted: 6/29/2024 9:05:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Agilt:

Just run whatever oil you're supposed to - 5W30 will be fine or 0w30 if you want to be fancy.

change the brake fluid

4r100 - change the fluid, put a radiator sized transmission cooler on it. I think some of them might be able to fit a later model cooler that's huge.
View Quote

Yeah common upgrade is to install the radiator cooler from the 6.0 diesel in place of the stock one that came with the gas motor. Just need the cooler and two adapters for the coolant lines
Link Posted: 6/29/2024 9:14:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By chrishag:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Toyota has this issue too. 3rd brake light went out on my 4Runner…..
Link Posted: 6/29/2024 9:48:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By disembled:

Toyota has this issue too. 3rd brake light went out on my 4Runner…..
View Quote

This gen of super duty if the 3rd brake light is out the transmission will shift weird and the torque converter will not lock.
Link Posted: 7/1/2024 10:42:03 AM EDT
[#11]
View Quote

Came to post this.

My transmission was over heating when it was -20 degrees out. Changed the fluid multiple times. Put a bigger cooler on etc.

Then someone here said check the third brake light. Sure as shit.

Now I carry extras.
Link Posted: 7/1/2024 3:11:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Do the plugs and make sure they’ve got anti seize on the threads, trans cooler as mentioned.

ONLY USE GOOD QUALITY FORD BRAKE PRODUCTS ON IT AND MAKE SURE YOUR FRONT U JOINTS ARE GOOD!!!!!!

I’d probably still have mine if I did the front end work properly the first time. Don’t use shit calipers from AutoZone or anything. I know they’re all reman but just don’t. It’s actually a great engine.
Link Posted: 7/2/2024 1:46:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By giantpune:
The 5.4 either run for 500k miles or they yeet sparkplugs out of their holes.  There's not much in between.
View Quote

They do both. Overall the 2v 5.4 is a great engine
Link Posted: 7/2/2024 1:54:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Recently got an 03.  I like starting fresh on a new vehicle.

I changed all the fluids my self. Engine got 5w-20 Mobil 1, trans got a new filter and full fluid change with Mobil-1 synthetic, transfer case got the same Mobil 1 trans fluid, rear diff got 75-145 Valvoline full syn, front diff got 75-90 full syn, changed the coolant and greased the front end.

These trucks are solid. Check all your u joints, belts and inspect for leaks on axles, engine etc.
Link Posted: 7/2/2024 2:06:30 PM EDT
[#15]

This gen of super duty if the 3rd brake light is out the transmission will shift weird and the torque converter will not lock.
View Quote

For real? Wow.
Link Posted: 7/2/2024 4:20:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Rifleman_556:
You have a 2v, Ford switched to the 3v in the Super Duty in '05 (a year after the F150)

About the only issue with the 2v is blowing spark plugs out and manifold leaks. I've repaired quite a few blown plugs on 5.4s and 6.8s with the helicoil kit and never had another issue on that cylinder when done correctly.

Do the SRW trucks have inboard rear brakes? Both my DRWs do but I'm not a full time mechanic anymore and can't remember...

I knew a guy with a 6.8 in a 2wd Super Duty that could get 16mpg highway, average was 12-13 for running errands. IMO not terrible- I've got one 6.0 diesel that averages about 13mpg and another that gets single digits (fuel gauge doesn't work and the trip meter is flaky so I just estimate)

That's why I drive the Cummins to work now, 18-20mpg is a little easier on the wallet
View Quote

I get 22MPG in a 4wd 7.3 super duty with a 6MT and 3.73s. The autos seem to get shit fuel economy and the motors are often detuned with the auto in the early 2000s.

The V8 gas trucks couldn't hold a candle to the V10 or diesel.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top