Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 11:02:25 PM EDT
[#1]
I went through this a few years ago and decided to go with the Ruger Scout. I looked at the Mossberg and Savage. Mossberg had some accuracy concerns and the Savage had some design choices and wasn't fond of. I would have accepted the Savage but couldn't find one.

I really just wanted a bolt action rifle that took box magazines, a threaded muzzle and had iron sights. I thought about putting a scout scope on my rifle for a short while. Ultimately I took the rail off and intend to only use it with the ghost ring sights. Of all the scout rifles the Ruger seem to have the best by having a ghost ring with winged protection on either side of the front and rear site.

The reason for the iron sights is I went hunting on a humid day here in Florida and when I went to use my scope, condensation had built up on the glass and I couldn't see through it. Iron sights don't have that problem.

The action does stick if you press up on the bolt while cycling the action. It has loosened up over time and I have purposely trained myself to not press up on the bolt. Raf has mentioned in the scout rifle thread that there's an area that can be chamferred to smooth the action. Without a picture I don't want to start filing away and hope I get the right area.

I put a Rhodesian sling from Andy's leather as I plan to use this for a stalking style hunting rather than in a tree stand. I haven't been able to get out in the field yet but playing commando in my living room it does have a nice feel to it and I can still get quickly on target.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 11:02:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

You can put Nodak sights on a .300 Ruger American.

Anyone have a Savage 110 Scout?
View Quote

I just picked a model 11 scout off the EE. It needs a little prep to do what I want to with it so I haven’t shot it yet but it’s a well build rifle
Quick edit, what are y’all using for rings on forward mounts?
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 4:47:18 AM EDT
[#3]
The Ruger can be configured with a conventional scope using factory rings or with an IER scope on the forward rail. The rear sight can be removed easily and retains zero when replaced. I've got a spare rear sight zeroed for hunting handloads and a larger aperture zeroed for M80. Factory threaded muzzle and the synthetic stock has an aluminum bedding block and pillar. I simply liked the options.

eta: image linked from gunblast.com

eta: Steyr readily accepts a conventional or IER scope. Integral bipod, flip-up BUIS, and storage for a second magazine in the buttstock. Factory threaded muzzle too.

Link Posted: 9/29/2022 5:00:00 AM EDT
[#4]
Closest I can come to a scout rifle is my FR8
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 5:10:48 AM EDT
[#5]
I love mine. I bought a used one from an old man at the gun club. Hardly ever shot. Synthetic stock. Id love a nice walnut stock for it or even one of the birch stocks from a Talo exclusive.  I have an MRDS on mine with the irons. Really fun to shoot.

The cock-on-open is really stiff though. Its difficult to run hard and fast.
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 5:42:25 AM EDT
[#6]
I had a M1A Scout with an Aimpoint on it 15+ years back.

Sold it off but wish I hadn’t.
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 6:37:25 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 6:39:35 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

M1A scout. Like God intended.
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/29/2022 6:40:32 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
When did M1A Scouts get so expensive?  I swear these were $1200-1500 just a couple years ago...  now they start at $1800

Really digging this one

https://files.springfield-armory.com/wp-content/uploads/AA9116-1-1024x224.png
View Quote

That front heavy rifle gets worse when you add the scope.
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 7:33:00 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

A 15.5” LOP and a down jacket don’t go together and an AR can’t go with me to Africa. For that matter I like to change my LOP for prone and upright shooting.
View Quote

I never suggested taking an AR to Africa…i mentioned the AR for the young shooter. What I did mention, however, was a lightweight chassis that uses AR style stocks with their inherent adjustability. There are countless other stocks out there with stock adjustability. Adjustability, however, adds weight.

In reality, LOP just isn’t that important.  There are precision rifle matches shot all over the country with every shooting position fathomable…and you don’t see folks changing LOP from stage to stage, let alone shot to shot.

Folks like different things…that’s what makes the world go round.
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 8:01:47 AM EDT
[#11]

2X magnification. Compact with stock folded.
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 8:03:30 AM EDT
[#12]
Jungle Carbine.

Lightweight. Short. Powerful. 10 rounds in a compact double stack magazine. Ghost ring sight. Absurdly fast cycling action.
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 8:19:20 AM EDT
[#13]

Ill second the hilux scout scope as a cheap but effective option on my smith enterprise “socom” length scout.
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 8:34:28 AM EDT
[#14]
I would recommend checking out the Steyr in person if you can.

I think it's a really neat, well thought out rifle.  Some people hate it though.
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 8:45:04 AM EDT
[#15]
Asking about scout rifle...#stillaboomer
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 8:50:58 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I need a bolt action. I either want the Steyr or Ruger. Either in .308. Don’t try to sell me on something else. I like the platform. I also love and carry a 1911. I’ll be 40 in October so not a boomer

I had the Ruger before but ended up trading it. Curious more about the Steyr. What’s the quality like?
View Quote

I'm 41 and recently started carrying my 1911 exclusively.  

I have a Steyr Scout in 308.  I went with a 1-4 traditionally mounted, scout scopes would never have caught on at all if there had been today's lpvos when Cooper was designing this thing.

The Steyr is damn nice btw.
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 8:53:38 AM EDT
[#17]
I think scout rifles are objectively dumb, but I’ve wanted a Steyr Scout since I was a kid and still do.
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 8:56:33 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I also had the Ruger and traded it. I wish I had kept it. But now I am thinking about one in .450

ETA: Dear sweet lord this is sexy

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/191077/CFD18F7D-AE36-4B45-8ABF-A749A6493FAC_jpe-2542929.JPG
View Quote

Ruger makes a nice bolt gun. If that one came without the ugly LOP adjustment system I'd be sold.

Link Posted: 9/29/2022 8:57:33 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Closest I can come to a scout rifle is my FR8
View Quote

One of my genuinely deepest regrets is not getting an FR8 when they were dirt cheap.

Same with a Bulgarian Makarov.

Link Posted: 9/29/2022 10:06:35 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
https://i.imgur.com/2PHTN1s.jpg

Ill second the hilux scout scope as a cheap but effective option on my smith enterprise “socom” length scout.
View Quote

Which rings are they?
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 10:14:31 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

You aren't, because that stuff is nonsense.

Adjustable LOP stocks are easy if largely unnecessary, spare mag storage and stowable bipods are just gadgets.

No...because no one buys them.
View Quote

Burris and Leupold make nice scout scopes.
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 10:20:12 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Does anyone make any decent scout scopes anymore?
View Quote

Burris makes a scout and a pistol scope with enough eye relief to use as a scout. I like the features and durability.
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 10:27:36 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Jungle Carbine.

Lightweight. Short. Powerful. 10 rounds in a compact double stack magazine. Ghost ring sight. Absurdly fast cycling action.
View Quote

correct

that someone isn't making a them in 300blk and/or 7.62x39 is a travesty

450 bushmaster would also be awesome

I realize I'm describing a Ruger American Ranch, but with an Enfield action and the ability to take stripper clips or mags, that would be rad
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 10:29:49 AM EDT
[#24]
You can get a sub 6 pound AR based semi auto .308 rifle for about the same price as the Ruger and probably cheaper than the Steyr.

The main thing that a .308 bolt offered in times prior is that you could build one under 6 pounds.

Now that ARs exist in that weight range, there is no reason for a bolt, other than you just like a bolt.

It would take a special rifle to attract me, not a production gun, but something I'd have made for me.

Link Posted: 9/29/2022 1:43:21 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I need a bolt action. I either want the Steyr or Ruger. Either in .308. Don’t try to sell me on something else. I like the platform. I also love and carry a 1911. I’ll be 40 in October so not a boomer

I had the Ruger before but ended up trading it. Curious more about the Steyr. What’s the quality like?
View Quote

Yo misspelled Winchester Model 70.
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 4:50:13 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

The stock on the Steyr is injection molded.  Like the stock on a $300 Savage.  It is very underwhelming for the money in 2022.
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 5:07:22 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Does anyone make any decent scout scopes anymore?
View Quote
Everyone.
Hard to find because they're called pistol scopes.

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top