Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 8/24/2024 12:39:36 PM EDT
This is a guy I've known since college, more than 30 years past. I suppose back then we were both pretty liberal, but we really grew apart politically. Now I've been through a lot with him, and I've never given in to the temptation to cut him off. I suppose because at some point we reached detente, and our relationship evolved to be about family and other things. We're both members of the same Masonic Lodge, and our Masonic training regarding not talking politics and religion was one of the things that defined our relationship. We knew that if we started talking politics, things would fall apart between us, so we just moved past that. He knew where I stood, I knew where he stood, and we left it at that. We've continued to have good times and bad times, and our families have supported each other through it all.

A year or two ago, I started noticing things about him were changing. First of all, he's a novelist. He works very hard at it, and has made an okay living at it. He has always been active in the writing community, and attends conferences, and workshops, and teaches auxiliary writing classes at the local university. He started to talk about being canceled by the other participants at these functions. He would sit on panel discussions, and despite considering himself an "ally" he has been attacked because he is an old white man. If you know anything about the literary world, it has devolved into a cesspit of DEI, oppression olympics, critical race theory, etc.

He began talking about his struggles with the people in that realm and it's been interesting, and I've nodded my head in agreement, and said a few things, but have been circumspect out of respect for our shared history, and genuine affection for each other.

Last night, we got together and were talking, and I forget the context exactly in which it came up, but something triggered him, and BAM! An outpouring of frustration, and downright anger came out of him. He literally said to me: "I've been red-pilled." We had a wide ranging conversation about the world, and by God he really has been turned towards the light. He's tired of the trans agenda, he's repulsed by the democrats headlong rush into communism, he's angered by DEI. etc. etc. We even talked about Trump, who he still dislikes, but there was room to talk about it, whereas if we had even approached the subject six years ago, our friendship would probably have been over.

This is a guy who has been reliably left-leaning liberal, and he would have told you that not too very long ago. He said he's been reading conservative authors, who I recommended, and has actually been liking what they're saying. All through the evening, I'm not sure he could tell, but my jaw was basically on the floor the entire time.

I could have woken up with my head stapled to the carpet and not been more surprised than I was last night.

You know what the issue was that I think turned him around more than anything? Man-hating. He raised two boys, and he's an old white guy. He is utterly disgusted with how boys are being raised to hate themselves right now, and it has pulled the wool off his eyes in many many respects.

He's owned guns for a while, and back in the day, he used to say he owned them because he was scared of scary conservatives. Now he says he's just scared. He wants to go to the range with me. I haven't wanted to take him in the past, because I thought I'd be helping a John Brown Gun Club type guy, but now I think I will take him with me.

Things are changing.
Link Posted: 8/24/2024 12:43:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: thesquidliest] [#1]
Good deal.  Hopefully not a situational change, and if things get less batshit crazy on the left (doubtful) he won't turn back.
Link Posted: 8/24/2024 12:44:47 PM EDT
[#2]
He needs to get his boys going.  We need people who are ready to fight.
Link Posted: 8/24/2024 12:45:09 PM EDT
[#3]
One moron at a time.

I don't know if it's enough to overcome the cheating , but that is great news.

The liberals are an insane death cult
Link Posted: 8/24/2024 12:49:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Good deal OP.  Thanks for sharing and letting us know that there is indeed hope for some of the liberals.
Link Posted: 8/24/2024 12:50:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By madmathew:
View Quote

Sadly, his boys are crazy leftists. His eldest son, who lives in Florida, was recently home and overheard my buddy mention Harris being a DEI candidate, and the kid went off on him and called him a racist etc. etc. This is a kid who recently said Reddit has become a right wing echo chamber...

My friend doesn't really know how to reach the boy, and I could sense the regret there. He knows he raised him in the leftist bubble he just broke out of.
Link Posted: 8/24/2024 12:51:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Awesome.

Link Posted: 8/24/2024 12:54:43 PM EDT
[#7]
”Things are changing.”
View Quote

Yes, they are. But we aren’t at a point where it matters because their voice will be stolen too by the Man That Counts The Vote.

Nothing will change until people start to wonder where their family’s next meal will come from.
Link Posted: 8/24/2024 12:54:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TheOtherDave] [#8]
Doubletap
Link Posted: 8/24/2024 1:00:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Rugerlvr:

Sadly, his boys are crazy leftists. His eldest son, who lives in Florida, was recently home and overheard my buddy mention Harris being a DEI candidate, and the kid went off on him and called him a racist etc. etc. This is a kid who recently said Reddit has become a right wing echo chamber...

My friend doesn't really know how to reach the boy, and I could sense the regret there. He knows he raised him in the leftist bubble he just broke out of.
View Quote

The seductive tug of cognitive dissonance is really strong for liberal mothers and left wing sons...
Link Posted: 8/24/2024 1:01:41 PM EDT
[#10]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By madmathew:

Liberals need to feel pain to make the change.  Like the liberal that gets held up or their neighborhood starts to burn, they start to approach gun control differently, especially when police were cut or won’t do anything from orders from above.

Your friend finally sees that you don’t have to be all in either way, may hate the man, doesn’t mean his policies are bad, and that the other side has bad policies.

Sons won’t see the light until they cannot buy a house or cannot get a job.
Link Posted: 8/24/2024 1:01:45 PM EDT
[#11]
I had a similar incident with an ultra liberal friend.

But it only took the losing of his businesses, the looting, the taxes, the lack of police, the lack of accountability, and then him being branded a racist to make the conclusion that he chose the wrong side.

Link Posted: 8/24/2024 1:02:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Ironknife] [#12]
No

He is mad about the world he voted for.  He cooperated and used his emotions and weak NPC mind to get him where he is.

He made this bed, let him sleep in it.  He is not family.  This sounds like a good way to get Red flagged and swatted.  

At no point should you provide any information on weapons at all. Or even socialize with this person at all. The Covid crisis showed us all where these people want us.  

Do what you want, these people are beyond forgiveness.  The state of country is because of these worthless people, and there is no reason for sympathy .
Link Posted: 8/24/2024 1:03:04 PM EDT
[#13]
This is good, OP  
Link Posted: 8/24/2024 1:05:10 PM EDT
[#14]
This is a guy I've known since college, more than 30 years past. I suppose back then we were both pretty liberal, but we really grew apart politically. Now I've been through a lot with him, and I've never given in to the temptation to cut him off. I suppose because at some point we reached detente, and our relationship evolved to be about family and other things. We're both members of the same Masonic Lodge, and our Masonic training regarding not talking politics and religion was one of the things that defined our relationship. We knew that if we started talking politics, things would fall apart between us, so we just moved past that. He knew where I stood, I knew where he stood, and we left it at that. We've continued to have good times and bad times, and our families have supported each other through it all.

A year or two ago, I started noticing things about him were changing. First of all, he's a novelist. He works very hard at it, and has made an okay living at it. He has always been active in the writing community, and attends conferences, and workshops, and teaches auxiliary writing classes at the local university. He started to talk about being canceled by the other participants at these functions. He would sit on panel discussions, and despite considering himself an "ally" he has been attacked because he is an old white man. If you know anything about the literary world, it has devolved into a cesspit of DEI, oppression olympics, critical race theory, etc.

He began talking about his struggles with the people in that realm and it's been interesting, and I've nodded my head in agreement, and said a few things, but have been circumspect out of respect for our shared history, and genuine affection for each other.

Last night, we got together and were talking, and I forget the context exactly in which it came up, but something triggered him, and BAM! An outpouring of frustration, and downright anger came out of him. He literally said to me: "I've been red-pilled." We had a wide ranging conversation about the world, and by God he really has been turned towards the light. He's tired of the trans agenda, he's repulsed by the democrats headlong rush into communism, he's angered by DEI. etc. etc. We even talked about Trump, who he still dislikes, but there was room to talk about it, whereas if we had even approached the subject six years ago, our friendship would probably have been over.

This is a guy who has been reliably left-leaning liberal, and he would have told you that not too very long ago. He said he's been reading conservative authors, who I recommended, and has actually been liking what they're saying. All through the evening, I'm not sure he could tell, but my jaw was basically on the floor the entire time.

I could have woken up with my head stapled to the carpet and not been more surprised than I was last night.

You know what the issue was that I think turned him around more than anything? Man-hating. He raised two boys, and he's an old white guy. He is utterly disgusted with how boys are being raised to hate themselves right now, and it has pulled the wool off his eyes in many many respects.

He's owned guns for a while, and back in the day, he used to say he owned them because he was scared of scary conservatives. Now he says he's just scared. He wants to go to the range with me. I haven't wanted to take him in the past, because I thought I'd be helping a John Brown Gun Club type guy, but now I think I will take him with me.

Things are changing.
View Quote
I was the son of a blue dog Democrat. He hated Republicans. While I had conservative leanings I was full in redpilled in 2009.

The one thing I'll say is a Republican can squash your freedoms just as well as a Democrat can.
Link Posted: 8/24/2024 1:05:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Ironknife:
No

He is mad about the world he voted for.  He cooperated and used his emotions and weak NPC mind to get him where he is.

He made this bed, let him sleep in it.  He is not family.  

At no point should you provide any information on weapons at all. Or even socialize with this person at all. The Covid crisis showed us all where these people want us.  

Do what you want, these people are beyond forgiveness.  The state of country is because of these worthless people, and there is no reason for sympathy .
View Quote

You do you boo.

I love this man, and have for decades. I love him more now. I see a genuine unalterable change in him.
Link Posted: 8/24/2024 1:09:20 PM EDT
[#16]

You do you boo.

I love this man, and have for decades. I love him more now. I see a genuine unalterable change in him.
View Quote

👍
Link Posted: 8/24/2024 1:14:01 PM EDT
[#17]
This is why the left wants to wipe out white people. White = conservative.
Link Posted: 8/24/2024 1:19:09 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By TheOtherDave:

Nothing will change until people start to wonder where their family’s next meal will come from.
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/24/2024 1:23:30 PM EDT
[#19]
I agree with the OP the radical leftists really put a sour taste in the mouth of the traditional Democrat voter.....when you have the crazy guy driving the ship, some people want to get off.
Link Posted: 8/24/2024 1:25:19 PM EDT
[#20]
What genre does he write in?  (I wonder if I know him or have at least heard of him.)
Link Posted: 8/24/2024 1:30:43 PM EDT
[#21]
I’m glad your friendship survived.  Many haven’t during this time.  Sounds like both of you valued your friendship over politics and that’s the way it should be.

Link Posted: 8/24/2024 1:31:58 PM EDT
[#22]
I'm sorry OP but....Fuck him even more. People like him are why we are where we are. A sudden realization that hes a fucking idiot and a half assed apology from him just doesnt cut it from me any more. In my eyes there are no "
red pilled liberals", theres just liberals who are pissed their own party left them behind. Dont think for a fucking second hes actually been red pilled.

He supported all this bullshit, and now hes pissed it bit him in the ass. But he hasnt changed.
Link Posted: 8/24/2024 1:34:59 PM EDT
[#23]
There is no stronger ally than a convert.  Only they have been in the belly of the beast and know how to talk to others who are still there.

The one thing that still bothers me is that his conversion only occurred when it affected him.  Perhaps a lot of people across the political spectrum are that way, but we'll never right this ship if we don't regain some sense of universality.
Link Posted: 8/24/2024 1:35:29 PM EDT
[#24]
In 2016 when my son was a freshman in college he was pro Bernie. So pretty liberal, he liked weed. But then he saw how poorly the Democrats treated Bernie, how crooked they were. And he ended up being so turned off by the Democrats that he voted for Trump and is now a reliable Republican who watches Fox News. There's an old saying if you're not a liberal when you're young you have no heart if you're not a conservative when you're older you have no brain. The switch happens at different ages for different people. Look at Tulsi gabbard and now RFK Jr. They've seen the dirty filthy scummy part of The Democrat party.
Link Posted: 8/24/2024 1:35:59 PM EDT
[#25]

Meh.

I was recently in a room full of wealthy white liberals who were eating up every word spoken at the DNC in cult like fashion.  

OP, I'm glad your friend came around. He's one in a million.

Link Posted: 8/24/2024 1:41:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 22caliberKIDD] [#26]
Attachment Attached File

People crave the red pill
Link Posted: 8/24/2024 1:41:39 PM EDT
[#27]
I'm working on one of my friends. His stance on everything is in line with most Republicans, but he can't stand Trump. If I can get him to vote for Trump, I can guarantee that he will pull some of his other liberal friends over as well. We'll see.
Link Posted: 8/24/2024 1:42:29 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By TheOtherDave:

Yes, they are. But we aren’t at a point where it matters because their voice will be stolen too by the Man That Counts The Vote.

View Quote

Yep, I had a gay black man basically do the same thing. Unload his frustration about how black people toe the line. This was a stranger running a register.

But you are right, none of it matters. Thugs in Milwaukee, Detroit, Minneapolis, Chicago, and Atlanta are deciding our elections now.

They saw last time they can basically do what they want. I’ll vote but my hopes aren’t very high for this country anymore.
Link Posted: 8/24/2024 1:47:09 PM EDT
[#29]
But who is going to vote for?
Link Posted: 8/24/2024 1:49:28 PM EDT
[#30]
Niece is hard-core lib. Halfway thru Obamas 8 years, when jobs had vanished and layoffs were everywhere and economy was in tatters she admitted that all the hope and change she voted for was a lie. So when Trump was running I asked her if she like Trump, since she has admitted the dems has let her down. She acted offended.  I reminded her about how bad Obama had done. She had 0 recollection of just a couple years before.
Link Posted: 8/24/2024 1:53:10 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By Jozsi:

But it only took the losing of his businesses, the looting, the taxes, the lack of police, the lack of accountability, and then him being branded a racist to make the conclusion that he chose the wrong side.

View Quote

Yuri Bezmenov says for the demoralized it's not until the moment they're being loaded onto the trains that they even begin to question what they believe.

Sad that it takes so much to realize things so obvious.
Link Posted: 8/24/2024 1:54:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: buck19delta] [#32]
White liberals have been at the top of their bullshit for years, cheering on agendas for “ those minorities / gays “.  But always felt they were better than those they cheered on.  The liberals and their kids, reaping the vast amount of the rewards, while “ helping “, some distant minorities grow a bit.

Except now, those liberals and their kids are getting less and less of the pie, can’t even afford housing, and many opportunities that should have gone to them due to ability, we’re stolen and given away to less deserving due to diversity. They don’t like it one bit, and like ops buddy slowly realizing their Victim heirachy is replacing them, and worse, doesn’t even have the decency to thank them for their support. Shocked  they are not getting that pat on the back at least.

The politics have given the oddballs the power, and now they are demanding the white liberals to step aside, kiss their asses and them take the rewards that used to mostly go to the white liberals.

Like ops friend, who was just shoved out of the boat, by the very people he mentored for decades, the NERVE ! I’m on THEIR SIDE !  !   Except they don’t give a fuck about you and your lack of diversity points.

Expect a lot more of that in the future. Especially among the “ down trodden “ little lazy, entitled, white shitbirds who think democrats are going to “ raise them up “ magically somehow, they definitely won’t like getting kicked into the gutter and “ their “ job,  promotion, raise, college slot, house, apartment, etc was given away based on diversity points, of which they have essentially none. “ HEY ! We’re on your side ! “

Link Posted: 8/24/2024 1:57:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: tsg68] [#33]
Any man under 30 who is not a liberal has no heart, and any man over thirty who is not a conservative has no brains.

Winston S. Churchill
Link Posted: 8/24/2024 1:59:33 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By Ironknife:
No

He made this bed, let him sleep in it.  He is not family.  This sounds like a good way to get Red flagged and swatted.  

View Quote

I get where you are coming from and agree to an extent. Having said that, none of our views matter if we lose. Right now we need to welcome people into our camp, not push them away because it took them longer to get redpilled than us.
Link Posted: 8/24/2024 2:02:24 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By Jozsi:

View Quote

Well, that's a good outcome I guess, but that is all it took?    

That guy is a very slow learner...
Link Posted: 8/24/2024 2:04:02 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By Sirveaux:

Yuri Bezmenov says for the demoralized it's not until the moment they're being loaded onto the trains that they even begin to question what they believe.

Sad that it takes so much to realize things so obvious.
View Quote

they don't realize the people that turned on their own are the next ones rounded up afterwards.
Link Posted: 8/24/2024 2:05:55 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By 2JokersWild:
I'm sorry OP but....Fuck him even more. People like him are why we are where we are. A sudden realization that hes a fucking idiot and a half assed apology from him just doesnt cut it from me any more. In my eyes there are no "
red pilled liberals", theres just liberals who are pissed their own party left them behind. Dont think for a fucking second hes actually been red pilled.

He supported all this bullshit, and now hes pissed it bit him in the ass. But he hasnt changed.
View Quote

Attitudes like that are why we lose.
Link Posted: 8/24/2024 2:16:01 PM EDT
[#38]
The interesting part is that his views haven't actually changed. He's still a Bill Clinton era democrat.

The party simply moved on without him.
Link Posted: 8/24/2024 2:16:17 PM EDT
[#39]
for every one of your friend, the democrats (and republicans) are importing 10 to replace him
Link Posted: 8/24/2024 2:19:57 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By 2APocketSand:

I get where you are coming from and agree to an extent. Having said that, none of our views matter if we lose. Right now we need to welcome people into our camp, not push them away because it took them longer to get redpilled than us.
View Quote

Push them away?  lose?  Define winning?

If you think we are voting our way out of this you haven’t caught on yet..  these people just wanted you dead and now they are on your side?

You aren’t red pilled yet

Link Posted: 8/24/2024 2:22:44 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By RikWriter:

View Quote

That post is the biggest chunk of truth in this thread.

And that attitude?

No
If you ain’t mad yet keep waiting.  It’s coming.
Link Posted: 8/24/2024 2:24:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Rugerlvr] [#42]
What genre does he write in?  (I wonder if I know him or have at least heard of him.)
View Quote

I would guess you have heard of or are acquainted with him. I'm not going to out him here. He's multi-genre, and that's all I'll say. I'm relatively certain that you have traveled in the same circles.

ETA: I should ask him if he knows you.
Link Posted: 8/24/2024 2:26:54 PM EDT
[#43]

View Quote

I agree. If we can't forgive, and be welcoming, we're doomed.
Link Posted: 8/24/2024 2:27:14 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By Leisure_Shoot:
for every one of your friend, the democrats (and republicans) are importing 10 to replace him
View Quote

He's not happy about that either.
Link Posted: 8/24/2024 2:29:44 PM EDT
[#45]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

News flash, it doesn't matter. For every Democrat that starts to think 'hey wait a minute...' 5 more are imported to replace him. Why do you think we have a Somalia lady AT THE FEDERAL LEVEL of government?
Link Posted: 8/24/2024 2:30:55 PM EDT
[#46]
I used to believe there needed to be a balance of left and right, maybe there still needs to be. I believed the right took  care of the country as an institution and the left took care of it as a people. The problem is everything has moved too far to the left, and left no longer what it used to be. And the real problem right now is that the left has us on a collision path with hard times, and a full blown police state. On one hand I want Trump to win and hopefully break their backs, but on the other I suspect the hard times are unavoidable and he will take the blame for it. On the other hand, if the dems win the hard times are absolutely unavoidable and they will use it to consolidate power and we'll never have another honest election. Scary times.
Link Posted: 8/24/2024 2:33:21 PM EDT
[#47]
My co-worker was a rabid NTer.  Now he's buying a pistol and an AR and if we weren't working yesterday, we'd have been at the Glendale Trump rally yesterday with MAGA hats on.

I didn't have that on my bingo card.  At least some people are waking up.
Link Posted: 8/24/2024 2:34:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Jayne_Cobb] [#48]
News flash, it doesn't matter. For every Democrat that starts to think 'hey wait a minute...' 5 more are imported to replace him. Why do you think we have a Somalia lady AT THE FEDERAL LEVEL of government?
View Quote
Because Democrats are willing to put in the groundwork and start at the bottom. They are nothing if not dedicated to their ideals, and they didn't just randomly jump to federal offices without decades of menial local grunt work.

Republicans can't even be bothered to show up to school board meetings.
Link Posted: 8/24/2024 2:37:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HecklerKac] [#49]
nvm
Link Posted: 8/24/2024 2:38:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: buck19delta] [#50]
Ops buddy is shocked he’s getting booted out of the lifeboat by the very people he helped sink the big USS USA ship for.

Fuck ops buddy. He helped sink the USA, he gets no sympathy now that he discovered he’s stuck living the shit maga lifestyle with rest of us.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top