Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 4/8/2019 10:05:59 PM EDT
[#1]
they are very cool... of course the movie Midway made me love them..

Link Posted: 4/8/2019 10:07:26 PM EDT
[#2]
I love Catalina’s
Link Posted: 4/8/2019 10:09:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Hear tell from an old friend of my dad that said the guys on the USS Indianapolis after it went down sure was glad to see a PBY.  WOW can you imagin what they went through.
Link Posted: 4/8/2019 10:10:06 PM EDT
[#4]
The naked gunner at Rabaul

Possibly NSFW. Some dude's ass is in the pic, but it's historical.
Link Posted: 4/8/2019 10:10:51 PM EDT
[#5]
My favorite movie scene is the first scene in the movie 'Always'.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=upPHSDqj5x0
Link Posted: 4/8/2019 10:13:21 PM EDT
[#6]

Recommended reading.
Link Posted: 4/8/2019 10:16:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I was wanting to get a R/C one but never pulled the trigger.

Wasn't there a several episode show about these a couple years ago?  Seems like some company in Canada or Alaska was still using them for cargo?
View Quote
I think those were most C-46 and DC-4
I don’t recall any PBYs on the show.  Ice Pilots or wstte

I recall seeing on TV many years ago the Cousteau PBY, amongst all their other gear.
That PBY (with nice paint scheme) crashed and killed one of his sons doing water taxiing tests.  Said to be pilot error.
Link Posted: 4/8/2019 10:18:02 PM EDT
[#8]
My father was a maintenance officer for naval aircraft at Pearl Harbor during WWII. His squadron was primarily composed of PB2Y Coronados, the PBY's big brother. Dad often flew right seat when they were trying to track down an elusive problem, and he had many hours in these big amphibians.

When he was in his late 80s, our family visited the Naval Air Museum at Pensacola. One of the planes from my father's squadron was being restored for display, and we got a behind-the-scenes tour of the work in progress. While there, he once again boarded the same aircraft he'd flown a half-century earlier, ascended into the cockpit, and sat down in the same right seat where he'd spent so many hours. While there, he gave an extended videotaped interview. I heard many accounts he'd never shared before.

One in particular was quite sobering. He spoke of a period of several weeks where the planes were constantly being loaded with grievously-wounded Marines, who were then flown on the 22-hour trip back to hospitals in San Francisco. The same planes returned laden with large glass carboys full of whole blood, packed in ice, to be transported further on to the islands where the battles still raged.

Link Posted: 4/8/2019 10:18:57 PM EDT
[#9]
They did a lot of hard work in nasty weather in the Aleutians in WWII.
Link Posted: 4/8/2019 10:20:31 PM EDT
[#10]
One of my favs... beautiful plane.
Link Posted: 4/8/2019 10:26:47 PM EDT
[#11]
A PBY is what discovered the German battleship Bismarck. Also, the Japanese fleet approaching Midway
Link Posted: 4/8/2019 10:36:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Was always one of my favorites too.

If I had crazy retard money, I'd buy one and convert it into a party plane, complete with all the Colombian drug lord/Russian
arms dealer trimmings, hookers and blow, and fly all over the world so I could hang my dick out the gunners port
cupola and piss on the wretched peasants below.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
That is my favorite aircraft.

If I had crazy retard money, I'd buy one and convert it into a party plane, complete with all the Colombian drug lord/Russian
arms dealer trimmings, hookers and blow, and fly all over the world so I could hang my dick out the gunners port
Shouldve been born in the 20's

MOAR
Link Posted: 4/8/2019 10:51:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Who else likes these? I love seaplanes, float planes, flying boats, etc. but these are my favorite multi-role planes of this type.

Did you know?:

That a U.S. Navy pilot in a Lend-Lease PBY first spotted the Bismark so that the torpedo planes could get to work.

That "Black Cats", PBY's painted black and  configured for night interdiction missions against Japanese ships, were used as glide bombers. The pilots would climb to 3000 feet, throttle back the engines and glide down to about a 100 feet before releasing their 500 pound bombs.

That PBY's would accompany strike aircraft so they would already be on scene if an aircrew needed to be rescued.

"Plucking downed fliers from angry seas meant hazarding an open-ocean landing. Setting down in 16- to 18-foot swells required a full stall, carefully timed to touch down on the peak of a wave. Bringing the Catalina as close to the heaving surface as possible with wing floats lowered, the pilot cut the throttle to idle, pulled the nose up to stall the wing, andas the crew braced themselvesexecuted a controlled splashdown of the 30,000-pound airplane.

Banging across the top of the wave, then plunging into the deep valley between swells, the ship met the ocean. Water surged over the cockpit and doused the engines. Hull structure was overstressed. Leaks spewed from popped-out rivets. Catalina crews walked around with a pocket full of golf tees, perfectly sized to plug a hole."

The fighters and their pilots get the lion's share of glory and praise, but I think these planes and their crews did a hell of a job.

https://www.airspacemag.com/military-aviation/legends-of-an-ocean-crossing-seaplane-180971743/
View Quote
Postwar Seattle, turning those sea-battered airframes into beer cans, etc.

Link Posted: 4/8/2019 10:54:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Growing up in Titusville, FL, Tico airport had a PBY but with 4 engines.  Was converted as a passenger plane.  Sucker was huge.
Link Posted: 4/8/2019 11:00:45 PM EDT
[#15]
My grandpa was a Navy ordinance man on PBYs during WWII. He was stationed in Cuba, where they patrolled for U-boats. Has some good photos of PBYs in some of his books.

One of the locations I sometimes work in (former Sand Point Naval Station in Seattle) uses old PBY hangars as storage warehouses.
Link Posted: 4/8/2019 11:03:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I recall seeing on TV many years ago the Cousteau PBY, amongst all their other gear.
That PBY (with nice paint scheme) crashed and killed one of his sons doing water taxiing tests.  Said to be pilot error.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I was wanting to get a R/C one but never pulled the trigger.

Wasn't there a several episode show about these a couple years ago?  Seems like some company in Canada or Alaska was still using them for cargo?

DC-3 and Lockheed Electra too. The last season I saw on Netflix had them buying another Electra that was in need of lots of parts but the next season was never added.
Link Posted: 4/8/2019 11:05:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Used as passenger aircraft in Alaska.
View Quote
I want one.

Group buy?
Link Posted: 4/8/2019 11:05:57 PM EDT
[#18]
I was part of a crew that painted one at the NARF at NAS North Island in 1982. I was there to certify as an aircraft painter and that was our project.

NARF was in the process of rebuilding it for some museum.

Awesome airplane and HUGE!
Link Posted: 4/8/2019 11:09:33 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Who else likes these? I love seaplanes, float planes, flying boats, etc. but these are my favorite multi-role planes of this type.

Did you know?:

That a U.S. Navy pilot in a Lend-Lease PBY first spotted the Bismark so that the torpedo planes could get to work.

That "Black Cats", PBY's painted black and  configured for night interdiction missions against Japanese ships, were used as glide bombers. The pilots would climb to 3000 feet, throttle back the engines and glide down to about a 100 feet before releasing their 500 pound bombs.

That PBY's would accompany strike aircraft so they would already be on scene if an aircrew needed to be rescued.

"Plucking downed fliers from angry seas meant hazarding an open-ocean landing. Setting down in 16- to 18-foot swells required a full stall, carefully timed to touch down on the peak of a wave. Bringing the Catalina as close to the heaving surface as possible with wing floats lowered, the pilot cut the throttle to idle, pulled the nose up to stall the wing, and—as the crew braced themselves—executed a controlled splashdown of the 30,000-pound airplane.

Banging across the top of the wave, then plunging into the deep valley between swells, the ship met the ocean. Water surged over the cockpit and doused the engines. Hull structure was overstressed. Leaks spewed from popped-out rivets. Catalina crews walked around with a pocket full of golf tees, perfectly sized to plug a hole."

The fighters and their pilots get the lion's share of glory and praise, but I think these planes and their crews did a hell of a job.

https://www.airspacemag.com/military-aviation/legends-of-an-ocean-crossing-seaplane-180971743/
View Quote
I’m shocked you could stall the big ol fat wing with any wind on the nose.

TC
Link Posted: 4/8/2019 11:14:52 PM EDT
[#20]
Cool planes.  I designed a foamboard model of one a few years back.

Built this giant version of my model on-sight a couple days at Flite Fest, and RC event in Ohio.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y90XW355p9s

Giant PBY Catalina Maiden Flite Fest 2016

I'm in Eastern WA, really need to make a trip to the west side and take a look at some full scale ones.  Been wanting to make a really accurate 3D printed version.
Link Posted: 4/8/2019 11:30:12 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
My grandpa was a Navy ordinance man on PBYs during WWII. He was stationed in Cuba, where they patrolled for U-boats. Has some good photos of PBYs in some of his books.

One of the locations I sometimes work in (former Sand Point Naval Station in Seattle) uses old PBY hangars as storage warehouses.
View Quote
My dad was a drilling USNR at Sandpoint back in the day. He did his reservist bootcamp there, and then trained as an AMH. He qualified as enlisted aircrew on PB4Y-1s and-2 Privateers

Mollusk Brewing recently opened a brewhouse in the old NAS station ordnance shop building https://magnusonbrewery.com/construction
Link Posted: 4/8/2019 11:47:32 PM EDT
[#22]
I've got a model of one of these in a storage trailer.

One of my favorites from wwii, always wanted to build an RC one of these for playing with while fishing.
Link Posted: 4/9/2019 12:02:55 AM EDT
[#23]
Catalina is pure sex.
Link Posted: 4/9/2019 12:11:43 AM EDT
[#24]
I always thought an RV version of a float-plane would be the ultimate vacation machine. A huge lottery win would be properly spent realizing that dream.

And lest we forget:

Miami Vice 1984 - 1989 Opening and Closing Theme HD Dolby 5.1
Link Posted: 4/9/2019 12:12:14 AM EDT
[#25]
Love them, built a kick ass model of one as a kid and had it for a long time. My father is a Naval Aviator, flew P3’s out of NAS Jax and they had one out front as a static display. Loved driving by it as a kid.
Link Posted: 4/9/2019 12:14:47 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
My grandfather flew them in WWII.
View Quote
Same.  Stationed in the Solomons most of the war.
Link Posted: 4/9/2019 12:33:33 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 4/9/2019 8:57:18 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
@Squid1jz

He has some really cool pictures of one.
View Quote
Local Catalina based at Military Aviation Museum in Virginia Beach.

Link Posted: 4/9/2019 9:00:42 PM EDT
[#29]
I worked on one of these PBY's back in the day, it's a killer airframe, and could stay up for hours......
Link Posted: 4/9/2019 10:21:06 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I always thought an RV version of a float-plane would be the ultimate vacation machine. A huge lottery win would be properly spent realizing that dream.

And lest we forget:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLL1VTO5vbc
View Quote
That’s not a Catalina.  An Albatross, maybe?
Link Posted: 4/9/2019 10:30:14 PM EDT
[#31]
My only real life PBY related war story quoted from another thread:

https://www.ar15.com/forums/General/-ARCHIVED-THREAD-Talking-to-an-unusual-WW2-veteran-tomorrow-/5-2093492/?page=1

When my parents retired to FL in '99, they had two WWII aviators on their street who were best friends.
One had been a PBY pilot in the Navy. The other? Flew Me 109's for the Luftwaffe and moved to America after the war, retiring after working a career in commercial avation. He was a charamastic guy, "Carl with a K" is how he'd introduce himself.

I visited my parents after a tour in Iraq. My stepdad was in failing health, so Lee and Carl (with a K) picked me up at the JAX airport.

We drove to Palm Coast, about an hour (if I was driving), ended up being about an hour and 20 with 80 something y/o Lee driving.

We ended up talking about our war experiences. It is in my top 5 conversations in life, it was amazing listening to their matter of fact/no exaggeration "war stories". I felt very small in comparison.

Anyway, Carl (with a K) was totally Americanized and loved this country.

That said, the way he talked about being a fighter pilot in combat, the gleam in his eye (not romanticism, I can only describe it as clear eyed enthusiastic purpose), if you gave him the option of time travel, he'd have suited right back up, strapped on his gear and blew Americans out of the sky.

He was a warrior. I've met few people in my life who radiated the "killer" vibe. He was definitely one. I don't mean this in a judgmental way, he just was a clear eyed killer in the warrior sense of the word. Karl asked a lot of questions about Iraq, and they were the "right" questions. Sixty or seventy years later (however long it was) he could still shift into the warrior mode. Lee the USN PBY pilot, on the other hand, was a congenial seasoned old WWII veteran.

The difference between them, even six decades later, was one of the starkest things I've experienced to put WWII into context. Karl was also congenial and charming. But he was still a killer. It was still in him, and radiated from him in a palpable way, even though he was 80 whatever y/o. (I mean that in the hunter/warrior way, not in the psychopath/criminal way).

It was a fascinating conversation. I knew at the time that it was a unique experience and that I'd remember it for the rest of my life.
Link Posted: 4/9/2019 10:51:18 PM EDT
[#32]
Check this one out I first saw it in 1983. It’s been sitting in an airport hanger for years covered in bird poop. There’s a drop zone operating of the hanger.

http://warbirdsnews.com/warbirds-news/the-ghost-of-gananoque-a-flying-boat-in-a-barn.html

Link Posted: 4/9/2019 11:09:39 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
That's not a Catalina.  An Albatross, maybe?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And lest we forget:

Link Posted: 4/10/2019 3:47:44 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And lest we forget:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/12179/1CED7823-B5FA-43A8-96E5-F98AC28D08AC-907405.png
It's definitely a mallard, but that entry is wrong. That still has radials, not turboprops
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 4:22:21 AM EDT
[#35]
Scariest ride I ever had was trying to take off on
the “Blue Goose” from Akutan Island in 1990.

We made it, but never been weightless in a plane.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 4:32:13 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

It's definitely a mallard, but that entry is wrong. That still has radials, not turboprops
View Quote
I should've cropped it better: The next plane listed/photo'd, after the recip Mallard's entry, is the turbo prop conversion Mallard.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 6:11:22 AM EDT
[#37]
Definitely a cool plane.

I remember we saw one in a river from a bridge when I was a little kid in Washington. My dad was an aviation enthusiast so we went down and looked at it and talked to the crew. A couple hours later we saw it flying off.

ETA: did we just find something that is liked by everyone in GD????
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 6:16:38 AM EDT
[#38]
My first landlord was a crewman in WWII.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 7:57:40 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Scariest ride I ever had was trying to take off on
the “Blue Goose” from Akutan Island in 1990.

We made it, but never been weightless in a plane.
View Quote
I flew from Kempf Bay to Kodiak in a Grumman  Goose, it was quite a ride
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 8:20:32 AM EDT
[#40]
The very last Catalina manufactured for the USN, flying and with all original equipment (except with dummy guns), was for sale a couple years ago, seller did an awesome Youtube tour.  It's got a badass looking "starship Enterprise" radar mounted above the cockpit:

PBY Catalina FOR SALE - WWII All Original - UPDATE 2024

Link Posted: 4/10/2019 8:27:35 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 8:32:30 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Long been a favorite of mine.
I've actually got a thing for seaplanes of all types, it seems. The Clippers are another favorite, and I have a small collection of memorabilia of them.
And even oddities like the Convair Sea Dart. I've seen all the surviving examples in person.
https://imgproc.airliners.net/photos/airliners/3/7/5/0847573.jpg
View Quote
One of these was on the front lawn at Willow Grove Naval Air Station in PA...

ETA its still there
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 8:44:58 AM EDT
[#43]
Very good aircraft. A workhorse with teeth.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 8:52:08 AM EDT
[#44]
They had an operational one out of the hanger at the Air Museum near Virginia Beach when Little Pony and I were out there last week.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 9:19:50 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
That is my favorite aircraft.
View Quote
this, fucking great aircraft which is a huge reason why we won WWII because of its sterling abilities.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 9:25:48 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
They had an operational one out of the hanger at the Air Museum near Virginia Beach when Little Pony and I were out there last week.
View Quote
They flew a couple over the mall a couple years ago as part of a WWII memorial... probably one was the same bird. Can't imagine there are too many of them left.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 9:28:12 AM EDT
[#47]
Odd fact about all the PBY's.  At least the early ones from what I recall.

The pilot had no direct control over the throttles.

The pilot throttle controls were actually telegraphs. They would move to what setting the pilot wanted and set an indicator display at the Engineer station up in the upper fuselage station.  The Engineer would then actually adjust the throttles, time the propellers, lean the engines and such.

Don't believe the movies. You couldn't fly an original PBY without at least two crew members due to this.  
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 9:34:54 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Long been a favorite of mine.
I've actually got a thing for seaplanes of all types, it seems. The Clippers are another favorite, and I have a small collection of memorabilia of them.
And even oddities like the Convair Sea Dart. I've seen all the surviving examples in person.
https://imgproc.airliners.net/photos/airliners/3/7/5/0847573.jpg
View Quote
Is that the one at willow grove?
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 9:37:58 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote
There was one kitted out as an executive level transport that a couple was touring the country with about 25 yrs ago. Very sweet but slow, the ability to land anywhere makes up for that.

They often landed to pick up B29 crews in high seas when they had no chance of getting airborne. They would taxi the "boat" away from Jap activity until the rescued airmen could be transfered to a sub or the seas allowed takeoff.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top