Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/17/2021 8:21:58 PM EDT
Replacing a section of PEX that got gnawed on by rodents (produced a spectacular leak!).

It's located in an attic where rodents are going to be an ever-present problem.

The PEX section is only around 10 feet long (the rest is galvanized pipe) - so I'm considering sliding a piece of liquid-tight electrical conduit over it, to help prevent the same problem from reoccurring.

Attachment Attached File

Anyone else done this, or used something similar for the same purpose?
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 8:26:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Just a random question - does it need to be liquid-proof if your goal is to protect against rodent teeth? The PEX should handle the waterproof and this is only for armor value?
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 8:55:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Use metal "bx" from an electrical supply house. Flexible METAL conduit.
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 9:46:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Why not do that section in galvanized like the rest so it's all the same and rodent proof?
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 10:42:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The PEX should handle the waterproof and this is only for armor value?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
The PEX should handle the waterproof and this is only for armor value?

Correct.

Quoted:
Why not do that section in galvanized like the rest so it's all the same and rodent proof?

Galvanized absolutely sucks to work with - particularly inside a cramped attic.

If it had to be metal, I'd go with copper instead.
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 10:47:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Call an exterminator. Seal the place up so rodents can't get in there again.
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 10:47:58 PM EDT
[#6]
I'd focus on the rodent problem. What situation exists where rodents should be an ever present problem?
Link Posted: 9/18/2021 8:31:13 AM EDT
[#7]
I agree with fixing the rodent problem rather than cobbling your plumbing.  If you really must cobble, I'd use FMC over the pex instead of liquid tight.
Link Posted: 9/18/2021 7:12:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Galvanized absolutely sucks to work with - particularly inside a cramped attic.

If it had to be metal, I'd go with copper instead.
View Quote

I would prefer copper as well, I just assumed that if you would go metal you would go with what is there.

I understand it's a pain but I would rather do it once and not worry anymore. But then again, my place is already all copper so it's an easy decision for me.
Link Posted: 9/19/2021 7:26:48 AM EDT
[#9]
Plastic over plastic to thwart the plastic eating rodents isn't a recipe for success. A guard cat is what you seek

But seriously, metal shielding might be your second best bet, just after replacing it with galvanized as original. Fix it right one time or run the risk of fixing it multiple times.
Link Posted: 9/20/2021 3:48:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Use Steel. We used to call it “Greenfield” IIRC.
Link Posted: 9/20/2021 4:03:00 PM EDT
[#11]
your local humane society has the answer you seek. get a mostly feral one.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/20/2021 4:16:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Copper flex maybe?

Or this maybe?

Ptoflex 3/4 aluminum csst armor
Link Posted: 9/20/2021 11:24:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
your local humane society has the answer you seek. get a mostly feral one.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/216165/cat-meows-after-playing_jpg-2098392.JPG
View Quote

I've been through numerous cats (granted none have come from a humane society) and have determined that toms are the best mousers. I've had juvenile toms bring back dead rabbits nearly as large as they are. Mice, moles, voles, chipmunks, quail, doves, songbirds, rabbits, and other unidentifiable things. Never had that when we had females. We always got females. Then we ended up with a female that turned out to be a Tom and he was an amazing hunter. Then he went full on feral (he never comes around anymore but we occasionally see him) so we replaced him with another tom and same thing, amazing hunter.
Link Posted: 9/20/2021 11:34:02 PM EDT
[#14]
As long as you seem to be "ok" with rodents obviously living in your house, you should come up with a way to feed them instead so they don't chew up your plumbing and electrical.  

Gee my toilet keeps on over flowing, maybe I should get rid of the water.
Link Posted: 9/21/2021 12:41:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Use metal "bx" from an electrical supply house. Flexible METAL conduit.
View Quote

You probably mean AC.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top