Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/7/2022 11:59:14 PM EDT
Bought a car for my wife through a "auction" , step above a auction, and the inspection said the car drove great to 45 mph...  well it didn't. It Juddered, banged, revved all the way 4500 rpm till I got to 40 and gave up.  Needed to find a 5k econobox for her to drive  70 miles a day since she bought a business in a town 32 miles away.  I deal on a dealer site that the vehicles are kinda but not quite a auction. They are inspected so you know what your getting in to. The inspector on this one didn't have a clue.  Luckily it was a Nissan CVT with just over 100k and was never serviced.  Spent a couple hours replacing filters, cleaning the valve body, swapping the fluid and it drives like a new car.  Had to relearn the clutch engagement but all it really needed was a service.  

I deal with a ton of drive ability quirks on vehicles and most are due to lack of tranny maintenance.  

And CVT's are the worst for shrapnel. Needs to be done at least every 50k for filters and fluid....  This is just over 100k...

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 6/8/2022 12:01:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Are those shavings stuck on magnets?!

What wear parts did you replace? (The ones that the metal filings came off of?)

Damnit. Now I'm hungry for a Bloomin' Onion.
Link Posted: 6/8/2022 12:05:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

Yup those are the magnets in the pan. Didn't replace any parts. Just cleaned up the valve body, replaced filters. Many CVT's look close to that after 50k. CVT's are the devil. But will chug right along as long as nothing is broke, the solenoids fire and the fluid is nice and slippery (not burnt or filled with abrasive metal)
Link Posted: 6/8/2022 12:06:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Prefer a manuel transmission
Link Posted: 6/8/2022 12:11:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Fluid & Filter Changes can make a Transmission live happily a LONG time, but too many chuckleheads don't do it ...

BIGGER_HAMMER

Nissan CVT...

Attachment Attached File

Good Luck Brother...
Link Posted: 6/8/2022 12:12:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Bought a car for my wife through a "auction" , step above a auction, and the inspection said the car drove great to 45 mph...  well it didn't. It Juddered, banged, revved all the way 4500 rpm till I got to 40 and gave up.  Needed to find a 5k econobox for her to drive  70 miles a day since she bought a business in a town 32 miles away.  I deal on a dealer site that the vehicles are kinda but not quite a auction. They are inspected so you know what your getting in to. The inspector on this one didn't have a clue.  Luckily it was a Nissan CVT with just over 100k and was never serviced.  Spent a couple hours replacing filters, cleaning the valve body, swapping the fluid and it drives like a new car.  Has to relearn the clutch engagement but all it really needed was a service.  

I deal with a ton of drive ability quirks on vehicles and most are due to lack of tranny maintenance.  

And CVT's are the worst for shrapnel. Needs to be done at least every 50k for filters and fluid....  This is just over 100k...

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/334273/20220607_120013_jpg-2411063.JPG

View Quote

Holy shit, I've never seen anything like that. The amount of metal that's stuck to those magnets is impressive.
Link Posted: 6/8/2022 12:17:46 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

If this is the first service, a bunch of it is swarf from manufacturing the parts and machining the case.  If this is the second service...
Link Posted: 6/8/2022 12:19:57 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Bought a car for my wife through a "auction" , step above a auction, and the inspection said the car drove great to 45 mph...  well it didn't. It Juddered, banged, revved all the way 4500 rpm till I got to 40 and gave up.  Needed to find a 5k econobox for her to drive  70 miles a day since she bought a business in a town 32 miles away.  I deal on a dealer site that the vehicles are kinda but not quite a auction. They are inspected so you know what your getting in to. The inspector on this one didn't have a clue.  Luckily it was a Nissan CVT with just over 100k and was never serviced.  Spent a couple hours replacing filters, cleaning the valve body, swapping the fluid and it drives like a new car.  Had to relearn the clutch engagement but all it really needed was a service.  

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/334273/20220607_120013_jpg-2411063.JPG

View Quote

I hope that takes care of it. But I wouldn’t get your hopes up. If there is that much metal in there it probably had some serious wear on the chain. It didn’t set any trans codes? Also depending on the year there are big extended warranties from Nissan on the trans but I believe the cut off is 2013/14?
Link Posted: 6/8/2022 12:20:38 AM EDT
[#8]
130,000 miles on a Honda CVT and no issues.

But of course 1) Honda and 2) I do drain and fill the CVT fluid every 30k.
Link Posted: 6/8/2022 12:23:15 AM EDT
[#9]
100k on a never serviced nissan CVT?

Braver man than I am.
Link Posted: 6/8/2022 12:23:44 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Fluid & Filter Changes can make a Transmission live happily a LONG time, but too many chuckleheads don't do it ...

BIGGER_HAMMER

Nissan CVT...

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/medium-398.gif

Good Luck Brother...
View Quote

Ehhh...

All CVT Suck. Don't care if it is Toyota, Subaru, Honda or Nissan.  At least replacement ones are cheap for Nissan. Unless you choose the 2014 I did that is a global platform primarily over seas and you can't get a replacement transmission for right now
Link Posted: 6/8/2022 12:27:34 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I hope that takes care of it. But I wouldn’t get your hopes up. If there is that much metal in there it probably had some serious wear on the chain. It didn’t set any trans codes? Also depending on the year there are big extended warranties from Nissan on the trans but I believe the cut off is 2013/14?
View Quote

Zero codes, which is why I gambled. No mechanical issue yet.  The big warranty extension was on older CVT. Nissan upgraded in 2013, if you want to call it that, but it was a updated CVT.
Link Posted: 6/8/2022 7:31:45 AM EDT
[#12]
Here ya go....... AMSOIL
Link Posted: 6/8/2022 7:41:13 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

The part in red applies to basically every vehicle.    Once I got sporty and actually read my owners manual.   It said change the trans fluid at 60k.  Fair enough.   Except it also said to do it at 30k if you drive in severe conditions.  Then if you look up the definition of severe conditions it includes daily stop and go driving which is a good chunk of drivers on the road.  

Turns out machines like fresh, clean lubricant.  Who would have thunk it?

The hard part about buying a used car these days is that they all have basically over 100k on them.   That means the trans has a good chance of being about to fail in a lot of cases.  It's kind of remarkable that more of them don't.
Link Posted: 6/8/2022 7:45:58 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Here ya go....... AMSOIL
View Quote
OP appeared to be doing some car maintenance, not asking about pyramid schemes for men.
Link Posted: 6/8/2022 7:48:39 AM EDT
[#15]
I drained and filled my 2007 Maxima twice and never had issues but I did not drop the pan to look at any magnets. That looks pretty bad.
Link Posted: 6/8/2022 8:10:04 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I drained and filled my 2007 Maxima twice and never had issues but I did not drop the pan to look at any magnets. That looks pretty bad.
View Quote

Dropping the pan allows :

(A) cleaning out those metal shavings

&

(B) changing the FILTER.

Just like your car, fresh fluid is always great, but putting it in a dirty container with metal bits circulating and a clogged filter restricting the flow is NOT so great

Drop pan, wipe interior &  magnets clean & change that Filter!

Bigger_Hammer
Link Posted: 6/8/2022 8:23:37 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

I have a 2018 with 16,000 miles. I plan to stay on top of the changes, but everything I've read says DIY is not a good idea. No dipstick, has to be checked at a certain temp, and some other CVT weirdness. I know you could just measure the drained fluid and replace with the same amount, but...is that good enough? I've got an extended warranty, so I'm leaning towards having the dealer do it until the warranty is expired. (I'm normally a DIY, fix most things myself kinda guy).
Link Posted: 6/8/2022 8:35:40 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
OP appeared to be doing some car maintenance, not asking about pyramid schemes for men.
View Quote

GOOD ONE!!! LMFAO....
Link Posted: 6/8/2022 8:38:58 AM EDT
[#19]
You INTENTIONALLY bought a Nissan CVT?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/8/2022 8:41:03 AM EDT
[#20]
I just hit 300k on my Yaris. Last transmission “flush” was around 170k. I probably need to do something but I’m scared to touch it at this point. I sure would like this car to last another year or two.
Link Posted: 6/8/2022 8:41:38 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
100k on a never serviced nissan CVT?

Braver man than I am.
View Quote
at an auction. OP's middle name must be danger lol.
Link Posted: 6/8/2022 8:44:24 AM EDT
[#22]
Those pics are making me judder.
Link Posted: 6/8/2022 8:44:50 AM EDT
[#23]
I'd be swapping that filter and fluid again very soon.
Link Posted: 6/8/2022 8:46:28 AM EDT
[#24]
Bought the vehicle with 52k.
No history of Transmission fluid changes.

My fluid changes:

DateMileage
7/1/2014  53730
4/18/2015  62533
11/5/2016  77986
9/9/2017  85383
12/15/2018  99650
6/13/2019  106057

A drain and fill change on this Honda only changes 1/3 the fluid, so it was done on a stepped up schedule to swap as much of the fluid as possible over time.
Link Posted: 6/8/2022 8:46:42 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

Manuel tranny?

Link Posted: 6/8/2022 9:12:10 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

What about a Jose or Juan transmission?

Link Posted: 6/8/2022 9:12:49 AM EDT
[#27]
Daughters Nissan had the CVT start showing it’s ass at 104,000 miles.  Nissan had extended the warranty on these to 100,000.  Dealer wanted $5k for new trans and told me they require a 20,000 fluid change.  Nissan would not help with warranty extension since we were not the original owners nor did we get it serviced.  Called a trans shop.  He told me it was toast and he can’t even get those transmissions or parts for them.  
Sold it to Carvana and she bought a RAV4.  Maybe you got our old car?    Glad to hear you made it work again.  Keep us updated on how long it lasts.
Link Posted: 6/8/2022 9:15:56 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

Manual, FTW
Link Posted: 6/8/2022 9:36:22 AM EDT
[#29]
I clicked on this thread hoping for other types of tips and tricks…
Link Posted: 6/8/2022 9:38:10 AM EDT
[#30]
Please don't call it a tranny, I see enough of that on Facebook.
Link Posted: 6/8/2022 9:40:34 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 6/8/2022 9:42:38 AM EDT
[#32]
Good job OP.  People certainly do over-look changing transmission fluid.  It does not help when you have idiots from Dealerships saying that cars have a "life-time fluid."  No fluid is lifetime.
I do a tranny fluid drain and change on all of my cars every year.
Link Posted: 6/8/2022 9:43:05 AM EDT
[#33]
Not the thread I wanted when I clicked, but definitely the thread I needed.
Link Posted: 6/8/2022 9:49:09 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

I believe the word youre looking for is manual..... Manuel is a dude.
Link Posted: 6/8/2022 9:50:17 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 6/8/2022 9:50:59 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Manual, FTW
View Quote

Yup. I do a clutch every 150k or so whenever it is needed and flush the tranny every decade or so.
Link Posted: 6/9/2022 10:54:24 AM EDT
[#37]

Is this a trap? If so, it’s a good one. I mean it.  Like no man hands.

EDIT:  Oohh. That Adam’s apple though…BINGO!  We have a dude.  Although a cute one.
Link Posted: 6/9/2022 11:05:41 AM EDT
[#38]
Oh I see your issue, you bought a CVT.

Who’s to blame? You. You’re to blame.

Trannys are and have been for, going on 15+ years at least, non serviceable parts. Fuck, many manufacturers consider tranny fluid lifetime, and don’t change it ever, as scheduled maintenance.

How can you buy a used car that’s not fucked up?

Step 1: don’t buy a cvt
Step 2: once you have not bought a CVT, make sure the car shifts good at least.
Step 3: do some drain and fills every couple thousand miles. Then if no issues, do a flush.

Replace fluid every 30k miles. Or at least a drain and fill.
Link Posted: 6/9/2022 4:42:45 PM EDT
[#39]
Here we see the importance of knowing the difference between possessive and plural.

The title implies the OP may be celebrating Pride MonthTM with fervor.
Link Posted: 6/9/2022 6:05:51 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

EDIT:  Oohh. That Adam’s apple though…BINGO!  We have a dude.  Although a cute one.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

You just need to find one that removed their testes.

At that point, it's just a woman with a big clit and no vagina
Link Posted: 6/9/2022 6:06:09 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Here we see the importance of knowing the difference between possessive and plural.

View Quote

Traps are not gay

Link Posted: 6/9/2022 10:34:22 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote

It is plural..... not just the vehicles sitting in my driveway.  If you know, you know...

I used to work for Nissan for over 12 years. The CVT doesn't scare me.  Not like the Dodge and Honda ones at least..  
Link Posted: 6/10/2022 9:42:36 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

I met saddens me so few are made any more.
Link Posted: 6/10/2022 11:42:05 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Traps are not gay

View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/10/2022 11:44:27 AM EDT
[#45]
I let them service m…nevermind
Link Posted: 6/10/2022 12:36:42 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 6/10/2022 1:01:09 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 6/11/2022 8:57:05 PM EDT
[#49]
I’m starting to think midcap likes ‘em big and with dangly things.
Link Posted: 6/11/2022 9:41:14 PM EDT
[#50]
I have always heard to stay away from a total flush. I am do for a tranny fluid change at a minimum. Revs high and shifts bumpy.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top