User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 1:55:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

The real negative for them has to be more support for the Fair Access to Banking Act.

PayPal's stock price will recover and there is almost no way to get a enough PayPal users to cancel their accounts to impact their bottom line, although I cancelled mine and applaud everyone else who does.  The real downside (?) for PayPal (and other payment processors and banks) is far more support for such legislation.

Frankly, I would bet the banks would be relieved to see such legislation pass, since they would no longer have to explain to woke elitists why they are still providing services to conservatives or out of woke favor (legal) businesses... but that position assumes the banks aren't controlled by woke elitists, and that is by no means a slam dunk.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

The real negative for them has to be more support for the Fair Access to Banking Act.

PayPal's stock price will recover and there is almost no way to get a enough PayPal users to cancel their accounts to impact their bottom line, although I cancelled mine and applaud everyone else who does.  The real downside (?) for PayPal (and other payment processors and banks) is far more support for such legislation.

Frankly, I would bet the banks would be relieved to see such legislation pass, since they would no longer have to explain to woke elitists why they are still providing services to conservatives or out of woke favor (legal) businesses... but that position assumes the banks aren't controlled by woke elitists, and that is by no means a slam dunk.

Cancel account AND make pass legislation.....
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 2:06:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
They are in damage control mode now LOL.https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/52424365237_ab667a8cb0_c.jpgppal  
View Quote

But it's not a full rollback.  They still have $2500 fines in their user agreement:

Actions We May Take if You Engage in Any Restricted Activities
If you are a seller and receive funds for transactions that violate the Acceptable Use Policy, then in addition to being subject to the above actions you will be liable to PayPal for the amount of PayPal’s damages caused by your violation of the Acceptable Use Policy. You acknowledge and agree that $2,500.00 U.S. dollars per violation of the Acceptable Use Policy is presently a reasonable minimum estimate of PayPal’s actual damages - including, but not limited to, internal administrative costs incurred by PayPal to monitor and track violations, damage to PayPal’s brand and reputation, and penalties imposed upon PayPal by its business partners resulting from a user’s violation - considering all currently existing circumstances, including the relationship of the sum to the range of harm to PayPal that reasonably could be anticipated because, due to the nature of the violations of the Acceptable Use Policy, actual damages would be impractical or extremely difficult to calculate. PayPal may deduct such damages directly from any existing balance in any PayPal account you control.

And their list of items you cannot use their platform to sell or buy includes "ammunition, firearms, or certain firearm parts or accessories."  

Certain?  What's that?  What parts or accessories? Well, I assume that is up to them, and that they will not be kind when interpreting it.  So really, it's probably most things you might sell in the EE.  You could sell a sling in the EE and get the funds via friends & family and if they find out, your account is not only cancelled, you can also be fined $2500.  For each violation of their policy.

Bonus, they encourage people to report you:  

Still want to keep that PayPal account wired to your bank account?

Link Posted: 10/13/2022 2:12:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Managed to close account. There were several 1 time payments with vendors that were somehow labeled as ongoing subscriptions.

Anyway thats done, PayPal can eat shit
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 2:19:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Had to close 12 "linked" payments, then payoff balance, then it wouldn't let me close account due to being a credit acccount...said I needed to call...so I unlinked my bank account, and then today there was a "returned check" fee of $29.

I called and closed the account and they waived my "fee" after I paid off the account for the second time.
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 2:37:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 2:51:23 PM EDT
[#6]
They may say it was a mistake but it's still on their website in black and white:

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 10/13/2022 2:56:41 PM EDT
[#7]
I had it as well. Third time was the charm.
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 3:03:28 PM EDT
[#8]

......no more
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 3:17:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Trying to close mine now. I have a $.75 balance but I keep getting the message "Your account can't be closed because you have a negative balance."
For all I care they can keep the $.75
I'll just cut up the card and move on. There are no banks or anything else associated with the account so fuck 'em.
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 3:27:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Thankfully it was easy for me to close my account.
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 3:32:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 3:37:25 PM EDT
[#12]
closed mine just now
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 3:38:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Trying to close mine now. I have a $.75 balance but I keep getting the message "Your account can't be closed because you have a negative balance."
For all I care they can keep the $.75
I'll just cut up the card and move on. There are no banks or anything else associated with the account so fuck 'em.
View Quote

PayPal math ...

.75 balance
-2500.00 Closing an account is a violation fee
= 2499.25 negative balance
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 3:41:07 PM EDT
[#14]
DOGGONEIT SUMBITCH
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 3:44:42 PM EDT
[#15]
That Verbal Morality Statute isn't far away. Better get used to the future.

Link Posted: 10/13/2022 4:11:36 PM EDT
[#16]
I buy stuff on ebay. Is that using pay pal or does ebay have their own thing with credit cards because there is no account, just a credit card transaction when I buy gun stuff on ebay.
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 4:23:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I buy stuff on ebay. Is that using pay pal or does ebay have their own thing with credit cards because there is no account, just a credit card transaction when I buy gun stuff on ebay.
View Quote

Ebay has moved to their own payment processing, although sellers can still accept PayPal as another payment option. I believe all sellers have to use eBays payment service now, so you won't need PayPal to buy anything.

Closed my 20 year old PayPal account yesterday. Unfortunately I didn't get the survey asking why... but they know why
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 5:27:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Closed mine over the weekend, zero issues
View Quote
Same for me, unlinked a cc that I was using for track days. The organization let folks know PP changed the amount they charge per transaction so I planned on dropping PP anyway.
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 5:36:59 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
The voice of reason is that PayPal has always been a shady character and deserves not to be trusted.  Their policies and past behavior are clear indicators.  For many, this latest "accident" was the straw that broke the camel's back.

If you are content with doing business with a company that would "fine" you for your political position, then have at it.  It's not virtue signaling, it's risk management.

View Quote

I am A: an adult and B: fully aware of the possible downsides.

Thanks for your 'concern' though!  Have an awesome evening.
Link Posted: 10/21/2022 10:00:15 AM EDT
[#20]
Finally had a final transaction clear so I could close my account. I’m through with them.
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top