Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Posted: 3/3/2019 7:19:51 PM EDT
In light of a recent thread (now locked) I would like to provide the following information to the denizens of GD for their education and edification.

5. Borderline personality disorder

In borderline PD (or emotionally unstable PD), the person essentially lacks a sense of self and, as a result, experiences feelings of emptiness and fears of abandonment. There is a pattern of intense but unstable relationships, emotional instability, outbursts of anger and violence (especially in response to criticism), and impulsive behavior. Suicidal threats and acts of self-harm are common, for which reason many people with borderline PD frequently come to medical attention. Borderline PD was so called, because it was thought to lie on the "borderline" between neurotic (anxiety) disorders and psychotic disorders, such as schizophrenia and bipolar disorder. It has been suggested that borderline personality disorder often results from childhood sexual abuse, and that it is more common in women, in part because women are more likely to suffer sexual abuse. However, feminists have argued that borderline PD is more common in women, because women presenting with angry and promiscuous behavior tend to be labeled with it, whereas men presenting with similar behaviour tend instead to be labeled with antisocial PD.
View Quote
  6. Histrionic personality disorder

People with histrionic PD lack a sense of self-worth and depend on attracting the attention and approval of others for their wellbeing. They often seem to be dramatizing or "playing a part" in a bid to be heard and seen. Indeed, "histrionic" derives from the Latin histrionicus, "pertaining to the actor." People with histrionic PD may take great care of their appearance and behave in a manner that is overly charming or inappropriately seductive. As they crave excitement and act on impulse or suggestion, they can place themselves at risk of accident or exploitation. Their dealings with others often seem insincere or superficial, which in the longer term can adversely impact their social and romantic relationships. This is especially distressing to them, as they are sensitive to criticism and rejection and react badly to loss or failure. A vicious circle may take hold in which the more rejected they feel, the more histrionic they become — and the more histrionic they become, the more rejected they feel. It can be argued that a vicious circle of some kind is at the heart of every personality disorder and, indeed, every mental disorder.
View Quote

7. Narcissistic personality disorder

In narcissistic PD, the person has an extreme feeling of self-importance, a sense of entitlement, and a need to be admired. He is envious of others and expects them to be the same of him. He lacks empathy and readily lies and exploits others to achieve his aims. To others, he may seem self-absorbed, controlling, intolerant, selfish, or insensitive. If he feels obstructed or ridiculed, he can fly into a fit of destructive anger and revenge. Such a reaction is sometimes called "narcissistic rage" and can have disastrous consequences for all those involved.
View Quote

1. Paranoid personality disorder

Cluster A is comprised of paranoid, schizoid, and schizotypal personality disorders. Paranoid personality disorder is characterized by a pervasive distrust of others, including even friends, family, and partners. As a result, this person is guarded, suspicious, and constantly on the lookout for clues or suggestions to validate his fears. He also has a strong sense of personal rights: He is overly sensitive to setbacks and rebuffs, easily feels shame and humiliation, and persistently bears grudges. Unsurprisingly, he tends to withdraw from others and to struggle with building close relationships. The principal ego defense in paranoid PD is projection, which involves attributing one’s unacceptable thoughts and feelings to other people. A large, long-term twin study found that paranoid PD is modestly heritable, and that it shares a portion of its genetic and environmental risk factors with schizoid PD and schizotypal PD.
View Quote
https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/hide-and-seek/201205/the-10-personality-disorders

Factitious disorder is a mental disorder in which a person acts as if he or she has a physical or mental illness when, in fact, he or she has consciously created the symptoms. These people are willing to undergo painful or risky tests to get sympathy and special attention
View Quote
https://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/diseases/9832-an-overview-of-factitious-disorders

Recognizing the Drug Abuser

Telling the difference between a legitimate patient and a drug abuser isn't easy. The drug-seeking individual may be unfamiliar to you. They could be a person who claims to be from out-of-town and has lost or forgotten a prescription of medication. Or the drug seeker may actually be familiar to you such as another practitioner, co-worker, friend or relative. Drug abusers or "doctor-shoppers" often possess similar traits and modus operandi. Recognizing these characteristics and modus operandi is the first step to identifying the drug-seeking patient who may be attempting to manipulate you in order to obtain desired medications.

Common Characteristics of the Drug Abuser:
• Unusual behavior in the waiting room;
Assertive personality, often demanding immediate action;
• Unusual appearance - extremes of either slovenliness or being over-dressed

May show unusual knowledge of controlled substances and/or gives medical history with textbook symptoms OR gives evasive or vague answers to questions regarding medical history;
Reluctant or unwilling to provide reference information. Usually has no regular doctor and often no health insurance;
• Will often request a specific controlled drug and is reluctant to try a different drug;
• Generally has no interest in diagnosis - fails to keep appointments for further diagnostic tests or refuses to see another practitioner for consultation;
May exaggerate medical problems and/or simulate symptoms;
May exhibit mood disturbances, suicidal thoughts, lack of impulse control, thought disorders, and/or sexual dysfunction;
• Cutaneous signs of drug abuse - skin tracks and related scars on the neck, axilla, forearm, wrist, foot and ankle. Such marks are usually multiple, hyper-pigmented and linear. New lesions may be inflamed. Shows signs of "pop" scars from subcutaneous injections.

Modus Operandi Often Used by the Drug-Seeking Patient Include:
Must be seen right away;
•Wants an appointment toward end of office hours;
•Calls or comes in after regular hours;
•States he/she's traveling through town, visiting friends or relatives (not a permanent resident);
Feigns physical problems, such as abdominal or back pain, kidney stone, or migraine headache in an effort to obtain narcotic drugs;
•Feigns psychological problems, such as anxiety, insomnia, fatigue or depression in an effort to obtain stimulants or depressants;
•States that specific non-narcotic analgesics do not work or that he/she is allergic to them;
•Contends to be a patient of a practitioner who is currently unavailable or will not give the name of a primary or reference physician;
•States that a prescription has been lost or stolen and needs replacing;
•Deceives the practitioner, such as by requesting refills more often than originally prescribed;
Pressures the practitioner by eliciting sympathy or guilt or by direct threats;
•Utilizes a child or an elderly person when seeking methylphenidate or pain medication.

What You Should Do When Confronted by a Suspected Drug Abuser

DO:
• perform a thorough examination appropriate to the condition.
• document examination results and questions you asked the patient.
• request picture I.D., or other I.D. and Social Security number. Photocopy these documents and include in the patient's record.
• call a previous practitioner, pharmacist or hospital to confirm patient's story.
• confirm a telephone number, if provided by the patient.
• confirm the current address at each visit.
• write prescriptions for limited quantities.

DON'T:
"take their word for it" when you are suspicious.
dispense drugs just to get rid of drug-seeking patients.
• prescribe, dispense or administer controlled substances outside the scope of your professional practice or in the absence of a formal practitioner-patient relationship.
View Quote
https://www.deadiversion.usdoj.gov/pubs/brochures/drugabuser.htm

Read. Learn. Live.
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 7:21:52 PM EDT
[#1]
In
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 7:23:30 PM EDT
[#2]
How about Gender Dysphoria?
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 7:24:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Can I be all of them?  I don't want to share with any of you.
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 7:25:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
How about Gender Dysphoria?
View Quote
Different part of the DSM. That goes with the bulemics and the people who think they are cats.
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 7:26:54 PM EDT
[#5]
A few psychs have expressed disappointment in the last DSM
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 7:30:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

A few psychs have expressed disappointment in the last DSM
View Quote
Certainly.  I have as well. I only mention the DSM in a framework of organizing the various disorders.
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 7:32:31 PM EDT
[#7]
"Cutaneous signs of drug abuse - skin tracks and related scars on the neck, axilla, forearm, wrist, foot and ankle. Such marks are usually multiple, hyper-pigmented and linear. New lesions may be inflamed. Shows signs of "pop" scars from subcutaneous injections."

Inkies!
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 7:33:11 PM EDT
[#8]
What's the mental illness called that has sufferers presenting with a strong need to inform others of characteristics of mental illnesses?
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 7:34:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
What's the mental illness called that has sufferers presenting with a strong need to inform others of characteristics of mental illnesses?
View Quote
Smartassaphilia.
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 7:34:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Only takes once for that paranoia to pay off.....
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 7:35:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote
You seem to be upset by the good doctor's presentation of information.

Tell me about your relationship with your mother.
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 7:40:29 PM EDT
[#12]
I found this part of that thread interesting.

I use the words "drop" and "fall" interchangeably, yes. She had me get up and I fell, but I say "dropped" sometimes because it was her responsibility to move me safely and she didn't do that.
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 7:41:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
"Cutaneous signs of drug abuse - skin tracks and related scars on the neck, axilla, forearm, wrist, foot and ankle. Such marks are usually multiple, hyper-pigmented and linear. New lesions may be inflamed. Shows signs of "pop" scars from subcutaneous injections."

Inkies!
View Quote
They didn't add "crepitus."  Crepitus is a "popcorn" sensation (best I can describe it) under the skin and a cracking/popping sound in the lungs or over a joint. When it comes to skin or subcutaneous crepitus, the cause quite often is entrained air under the skin.  I did an exam on a guy once, with chief complaint of low back pain, who had been seen by many other doctors and ER for the same.  As I did the physical exam, I noticed that the skin of his left upper arm was "crackly" like crunching down on Styrofoam or plastic bubble wrap.  Extend the exam down and I find where he was shooting up. Seems that, if he couldn't get a vein, he'd just inject whatever was in the syringe, air and all, sub-Q.  This created a buildup of air under the skin of his upper arm that crackled under palpitation.   When confronted with this, the patient left AMA--if you define "AMA" as pushing past the doc, knocking down the nurse, pushing over the Mayo stand, and running out of the facility.
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 7:42:40 PM EDT
[#14]
“Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you.”

? Joseph Heller, Catch-22
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 7:44:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I found this part of that thread interesting.

I use the words "drop" and "fall" interchangeably, yes. She had me get up and I fell, but I say "dropped" sometimes because it was her responsibility to move me safely and she didn't do that.
View Quote
Also consider the whole argument about being ignored and not worked up for the primary complaint and then, when asked how she knew that the fall caused her injury, she said that a pain expert read her MRI and said it was caused by the fall. Well, if she was being ignored, then where did the MRI and Pain expert come from to validate the injury?  It is a befuddlement.
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 7:58:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

They didn't add "crepitus."  Crepitus is a "popcorn" sensation (best I can describe it) under the skin and a cracking/popping sound in the lungs or over a joint. When it comes to skin or subcutaneous crepitus, the cause quite often is entrained air under the skin.  I did an exam on a guy once, with chief complaint of low back pain, who had been seen by many other doctors and ER for the same.  As I did the physical exam, I noticed that the skin of his left upper arm was "crackly" like crunching down on Styrofoam or plastic bubble wrap.  Extend the exam down and I find where he was shooting up. Seems that, if he couldn't get a vein, he'd just inject whatever was in the syringe, air and all, sub-Q.  This created a buildup of air under the skin of his upper arm that crackled under palpitation.   When confronted with this, the patient left AMA--if you define "AMA" as pushing past the doc, knocking down the nurse, pushing over the Mayo stand, and running out of the facility.
View Quote
Learned what a Mayo stand's official name was today

Link Posted: 3/3/2019 8:01:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

http://www.newmaticmedical.com/images/xxl/MR-ConditionalMayoStand.jpg
View Quote
See, you did learn something.    Mayo stands are the debbil at times.
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 8:02:04 PM EDT
[#18]
I saw the title, then OP, immediately knew why.
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 8:04:18 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

http://www.newmaticmedical.com/images/xxl/MR-ConditionalMayoStand.jpg
View Quote
Did you Google it, because you couldn't wrap your head around the idea of a spunky little entrepreneur in a paramilitary outfit selling jars of Hellman's in the doctor's waiting room?

#metoo  
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 8:05:12 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Did you Google it, because you couldn't wrap your head around the idea of a spunky little entrepreneur in a paramilitary outfit selling jars of Hellman's in the doctor's waiting room?

#metoo  
View Quote
That's pretty fucking funny. Well done, sir!
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 8:05:36 PM EDT
[#21]
When a girl mentions she has BPD, or exhibits any if the signs... Run. The. Fuck. Away.

They cannot be fixed.  BPD destroys everything in it's vicinity.

Thanks for the reminder, OP.  Seriously.
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 8:07:49 PM EDT
[#22]
I have crepitus due to my Farm Strength
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 8:09:40 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
When a girl mentions she has BPD, or exhibits any if the signs... Run. The. Fuck. Away.

View Quote
I think if we thought about it, especially we old-timers, we all have been there in one form or another.
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 8:14:30 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I think if we thought about it, especially we old-timers, we all have been there in one form or another.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup.  It's scary shit.

I'd take a relationship with a meth head sooner than someone with BPD.  Never again.
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 8:16:50 PM EDT
[#25]
Reading the part about drug-seeking behavior, and knowing that the gov is cracking down on docs who prescribe opioids, was interesting.

I'm just glad that people believed me when I had a kidney stone and were nice enough to give me the good stuff.
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 8:28:36 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Reading the part about drug-seeking behavior, and knowing that the gov is cracking down on docs who prescribe opioids, was interesting.

I'm just glad that people believed me when I had a kidney stone and were nice enough to give me the good stuff.
View Quote
They didn't have to believe you--they took an xray before the good stuff, right?
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 8:31:15 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Smartassaphilia.
View Quote
Incorrect. Smartass is a a super power. I’m considering writing a book about it. (No really, I’ve been taking notes and am considering writing about the power of being a smartass.)
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 8:32:33 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Incorrect. Smartass is a a super power. I’m considering writing a book about it. (No really, I’ve been taking notes and am considering writing about the power of being a smartass.)
View Quote
Fair enough!
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 8:33:50 PM EDT
[#29]
In on 1st page.  
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 8:35:25 PM EDT
[#30]
Congratulations,you just described the Internet.
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 8:51:40 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
They didn't have to believe you--they took an xray before the good stuff, right?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep

Amazing how much pain can come from such a tiny rock.
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 8:53:41 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote
Run from ALL of these. NPD may be the hardest to spot but you can learn.
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 8:53:46 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Yep

Amazing how much pain can come from such a tiny rock.
View Quote
Quite often it is more about where the rock is than how big it is!
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 8:57:59 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Run from ALL of these. NPD may be the hardest to spot but you can learn.
View Quote
Quite often, I have found, that may people will exhibit traits of more than one PD.
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 9:02:39 PM EDT
[#35]
I didn't see antisocial personality disorder in there, OP. . We need to see that one.
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 9:03:15 PM EDT
[#36]
I work with veterans that have all of the PD mentioned.  OP, whey leave out the Antisocial Personality Disorder?  Of those listed by OP, histrionic can be the worst type to deal with in my opinion.
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 9:04:35 PM EDT
[#37]
Locked thread on personality disorders? Someone post a link, I gotta read that one.
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 9:06:26 PM EDT
[#38]
After my divorce from bpd lady, I read up on a TON of psychology books.  Mainly focusing on personality disorders, in an effort to more effectively "spot the crazy" in my new dating life.

It has saved me a ton of grief.  I highly recommend this strategy if you are in the dating world.

Not much you can do about it if you're already married to a crazy, though.
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 9:16:22 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Inkies!
Similar to subcutaneous emphysema?
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 9:26:22 PM EDT
[#40]
I got to see one of those drug seekers in the ER a while back, guy used every excuse in the book and the Physician on duty said you've been here 3 times this week with the same story seeking the same drugs, I will not lose my license to give you drugs.  They had him escorted out by security.
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 9:32:07 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Locked thread on personality disorders? Someone post a link, I gotta read that one.
View Quote
https://www.ar15.com/forums/General/Medical-Malpractice/5-2199051/?page=4

Not so much a thread on personality disorders but more like a thread caused by a personality disorder.
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 9:34:50 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Similar to subcutaneous emphysema?
View Quote
Same-same.  Crepitus is a description of what you see/hear/feel.  Subcutaneous emphysema is what the air under the skin is called--a diagnosis.  For example: The physical finding of crepitus is often observed in the case of subcutaneous emphysema.
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 9:35:11 PM EDT
[#43]
I have known way too many people who would fit in both the histrionic category and  the narcissistic one.  I don`t think there is any fixing them, they seem to like it.
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 9:36:32 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I didn't see antisocial personality disorder in there, OP. . We need to see that one.
View Quote
You really want that one in GD?

You don't talk about that here for the same reason you don't ask about college plans at the Special Olympics.
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 9:36:36 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Yup.  It's scary shit.

I'd take a relationship with a meth head sooner than someone with BPD.  Never again.
View Quote
Quoted for fucking truth!
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 9:38:17 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

You really want that one in GD?

You don't talk about that here for the same reason you don't ask about college plans at the Special Olympics.
View Quote
You're on a roll lately
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 9:42:04 PM EDT
[#47]
neat
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 9:43:41 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/forums/General/Medical-Malpractice/5-2199051/?page=4

Not so much a thread on personality disorders but more like a thread caused by a personality disorder.
View Quote
Ahhhh.  This thread makes sense now.  Yikes.
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 9:44:05 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote
Education.
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 9:47:31 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote
This.  Being in a relationship with someone with BPD is an emotional minefield that you will be lucky to survive with your life, much less your sanity.

Edit: I know it sound like I’m speaking hyperbole, but I’m being dead serious.  They are toxic monsters that once you see behind their mask, their defense is to destroy you in every way.  There’s no bottom to their abuse and no limit to their sadistic control.  They can justify any behavior, even outright murder, and claim they are the victims.  They can also go from a raging monster to a charming waif, to being physically violent, back to rage, then to crying on the floor about how abusive YOU are, then on to coming on to you sexually then raging, all in the space of ten minutes to ten days. This is usually followed up by what would pass as normal behavior until you bring it up and try to reconcile the behavior or you ‘screw up’ and put the forks in the dishwasher tines down and then the cycle starts all over again.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top