Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/20/2024 6:16:20 PM EDT
I hadnt played since about 1990. Played 5 string as a self taught amateur from early 70s until early 90s. A couple weeks ago, a coffee buddy showed up and asked if anyone needed a decent banjo. It is a nice older Korean Samick (it was about $650 way back when new)  Way nicer model than my old $45 student beater. Really nice inlays , geared tuners, wooden tone ring, really nice mahogany all over... all in really nice shape. It was in a cheap case with all the loose pieces disassembled and wrapped in t shirts. (I mean everything totally dissassembeled) Nothing like a project piece  lol.  Traded him a nice vintage Stetson fedora for it (He got to come pick out which one he wanted so he was happy and got a nice hat just like his grandpas. )  I got it all back together over the weekend and the new strings came in tuesday. Its all tuned up (and holding tune). The amazing thing was that after I evapo-rusted and fitz polished the gunk off the picks, I actually can still do nice even forward and reverse rolls at speed.  Guess I DIDNT forget everything. Time to start stretching the fingers and working on scales and progressions. Playing mandolin the last few years, my hands have never had to stretch out on a larger fretboard... (my finger span has shrunk  lol)

Ive played at acoustic guitar flatpicking for years, built a mountain dulcimer, restored a couple old 1930's guitars from my grandfather, and even picked up a nice f-style mandolin and got pretty decent with irish jigs, sea shantys, reels, and general appalachian hill music, but my heart has always belonged to a good banjo.... such a happy sound.   Now my living room looks complete. I may never get very good, but man that room looks good now!
Link Posted: 8/20/2024 9:55:41 PM EDT
[#1]
No you don't.  I am NOT gonna look at banjos.  Already got electric and acoustic guitars (multiples of both) AND electric bass.  Plus amps.  And a dulcimer.  And a baby grand piano.

Nope nope nope.  NO banjo for me.  But hey you do you and have a blast.  
Link Posted: 8/21/2024 8:45:57 AM EDT
[#2]
Instruments can multiply if youre not careful for sure  lol
Link Posted: 8/21/2024 9:32:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Possum79:
Instruments can multiply if youre not careful for sure  lol
View Quote

I think they have orgies when I'm not looking.  
Link Posted: 8/21/2024 5:25:59 PM EDT
[#4]
This guy has an awesome banjo channel.

Clifton Hicks - Ballad of Kyle Rittenhouse
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top