Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/26/2024 11:32:59 AM EDT
The AC in my camper trailer is loud enough to trigger migraines in my wife. So I bought a sound pressure level meter and I see that the background spl is 42dbl. When I turn on the AC the level goes to 72dbl.

So stupid question...is the AC making 30dbl of sound or 72dbl?
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 11:42:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: midcap] [#1]
not technically,

However, when sources combine, the sound levels do not add together. Two 80 dB vacuums create a sound level of just 83 dB! Going from one vacuum to two does double the sound intensity, but doubling the intensity only increases the sound level by 3 dB

This dude did some shit to his

Fix Your Loud RV AC [Fast and Cheap] DIY

Link Posted: 4/26/2024 11:56:04 AM EDT
[#2]
As an AV pro, audio is pure black magic fairy dust. As a decibel (dB) is a logarithmic scale, one dB increase is an order of magnitude louder. The loudest possible sound is "only" 270dB, whereas an airliner taking off is roughly 140dB. Regular human speech is right at 60dB.

By the way, the only sound I hear at 30dB is REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 11:58:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 12:00:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HDLS] [#4]
It could also be the frequency and not necessarily just the loudness.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 12:01:18 PM EDT
[#5]
If you have a brass band with one trumpet and want the trumpet part to be twice as loud, then you'll need 10 trumpets.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 2:18:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Ear plugs are cheap.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 2:23:30 PM EDT
[#7]
72 DB isnt very loud at all. If thats giving her a headache she'd be virutally incapacitated outside the house. Normal conversations are around 60 db, and a busy dowentown street is 80 dbs. It may be frequency as mentioned but as far as raw dbs I find it very hard to believe 72 dbs would cause your wife to get migraines.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 2:23:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By jough43:
If you have a brass band with one trumpet and want the trumpet part to be twice as loud, then you'll need 10 trumpets.
View Quote
This man gets it.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 2:24:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By HDLS:
It could also be the frequency and not necessarily just the loudness.
View Quote

This.

Or it could be mold up in it, getting blown all over. The coils could be covered in shit.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 2:26:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: tifosi] [#10]
Originally Posted By jough43:
View Quote
That's probably the best way to explain SPL that I've heard.

edit: To add to that for OP's sake, every 10 dB SPL is a halving (or doubling) of the perceived loudness.
So starting with a baseline of 50dB SPL (just as an example), 40dB SPL would be half as loud, while 60dB SPL would be
twice as loud, as perceived by the average human listener.

Link Posted: 4/26/2024 2:34:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By 2JokersWild:
72 DB isnt very loud at all. If thats giving her a headache she'd be virutally incapacitated outside the house. Normal conversations are around 60 db, and a busy dowentown street is 80 dbs. It may be frequency as mentioned but as far as raw dbs I find it very hard to believe 72 dbs would cause your wife to get migraines.
View Quote

No, I have a piece of equipment that vibrates at 72-75db depending on the state slof the motor bearings.  72 isn't quiet by any definition, and 75 is very loud.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 2:44:08 PM EDT
[#12]
FYI if you collapse a bubble under water using sound pressure it will create light...and no one knows why
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 2:47:17 PM EDT
[#13]
View Quote
Probably not a loudness issue, it's probably a harmonic thing. Low frequency and the consistent harmonic of the compressor could cause an issue.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 2:47:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By DrafterDan:
As a decibel (dB) is a logarithmic scale, one dB increase is an order of magnitude louder.
View Quote

10dB is an order of magnitude (10 times), not 1 dB.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 2:48:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By SoonerBorn:
FYI if you collapse a bubble under water using sound pressure it will create light...and no one knows why
View Quote
same reason the temporary wound channel in ballistic gel does, cavitation.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 2:53:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Imzadi:
The AC in my camper trailer is loud enough to trigger migraines in my wife. So I bought a sound pressure level meter and I see that the background spl is 42dbl. When I turn on the AC the level goes to 72dbl.

So stupid question...is the AC making 30dbl of sound or 72dbl?
View Quote
dB measure is a logarithmic function.  I think every 3 dB represents a doubling of sound intensity.  I might be wrong about that part.

So while the total noise went up from 42 (quiet room) to 72 (loud room), the vast majority of the sound is coming from the AC.  While is is probably slightly less than 72 dB, the dB level will rise to roughly the loudness of the loudest source, diminished by distance of course.

Link Posted: 4/26/2024 2:55:05 PM EDT
[#17]
View Quote
Probably depends on the character of the noise.  72dB isn't loud, but certain noises can be measured at 72dB and be extremely annoying, earache inducing, bloodcurdling, etc.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top