Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Poison Ivy (Page 3 of 4)
Page / 4
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 8:10:29 PM EDT
[#1]
I am extremely allergic, Bleach, Ivarest, and prescription steroid creams.

Pro Tip: if it is on your fingers and you cant get rid of it.... It has saturated your shoe laces. I was in misery until this dumbass figured that out.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 8:18:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Disk soap put it on like an ointment.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 9:04:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Spade:
I've used anti itch lotion. It doesn't work, but it gives you something to do.
View Quote

Ha ha. Just got over my first case ever at 55 and I can attest to this. I used the cream but it was still miserable for about 10 days.
EXTREMELY miserable over 2 or 3 of the worst nights. If I get it again I may choose the Dr and steroid shot route.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 9:23:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By shadowmaker1969:

Until you have had it on your dick, balls, and crack of your ass, you don't know the misery it causes. I had poison ivy and sumac at the same time as a kid. From my scalp to my toes I was covered. There was no shot back then, I laid in front of a fan for over a week, trying not to get hot. Soaked my hands/arms in clorox, it worked. Dont know if it was safe but it dried it up.
View Quote

I could "sense" something about to happen to my left ball sack just as I was realizing what the hell was going on with my hands/wrists/fingers/forearms a couple days in. I must have taken a quick leak on my way back to the truck after contact. I THANK THE LORD it never materialized into more than a little itchy. But the more exposed arms were freaking miserable. If it had infected Dukie and the boys, I would have been making a beeline to doc for that shot.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 9:28:07 PM EDT
[#5]

Until you have had it on your dick, balls, and crack of your ass, you don't know the misery it causes. I had poison ivy and sumac at the same time as a kid. From my scalp to my toes I was covered. There was no shot back then, I laid in front of a fan for over a week, trying not to get hot. Soaked my hands/arms in clorox, it worked. Dont know if it was safe but it dried it up.
View Quote

I worked with a guy who got the oil on his dick and had sex with his wife and she got the rash inside her. He said it was so bad that she was admitted to the hospital where they strap her hands down to stop her from scratching her lady parts. He told me it was so bad that they ended up putting her to sleep for a dew days.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 9:30:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ARMinnesota] [#6]
Tecnu works for me. It removes the oil and healing begins .
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 9:33:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By boolzi:
Man, I’m 52 and don’t get it, never have. I was cutting a dirtbike trail yesterday to extend my Mx track down a hill through the woods just swinging a machete and yanking big vines bare handed. My kid can look at it and get blistered.
View Quote

I was this way. Then one time I pulled some poison ivy vines from my chimney and got it all over. That really sucked.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 9:41:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By JosephTurrisi:

I worked with a guy who got the oil on his dick and had sex with his wife and she got the rash inside her. He said it was so bad that she was admitted to the hospital where they strap her hands down to stop her from scratching her lady parts. He told me it was so bad that they ended up putting her to sleep for a dew days.
View Quote

Holy Hell, this wins the misery contest. Mine wouldn't let me near her. Guess they got down to bidness right when he got home and hadn't realized he had it or showered yet. I can't imagine the torture that must have been for her. He will NEVER live that one down if she hasn't done him in already.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 9:49:17 PM EDT
[#9]

View Quote

Sumac or oak and it's a trip to the doc for me. I've had my eyes swollen shut
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 9:55:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Pee on it. Same as bullnettle.

Be the first to establish dominance.  

Or Tecnu when you first get it. Or dawn . Just get the oil off of you.

Link Posted: 8/26/2024 9:56:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By SS65:
This. Or a trip to the ocean. Jump in and scratch all you want. Always worked for me when I was a kid.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By anymanusa:
If you've already got it, prednisone will help get rid of it. If it's a bad case, you may HAVE to have prednisone. Most the time if you treat it with antihistamines like benadryl and claritin etc, and topically treat with calamine, you can vastly improve your comfort level.
This. Or a trip to the ocean. Jump in and scratch all you want. Always worked for me when I was a kid.

and then a jellyfish comes along.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 9:59:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Neosporin and lots of whiskey

Shit is inflamed and nothing will really help

Cover your arms/legs so you don't destroy your skin with sharp finger nails.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 9:59:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Codyboy:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Codyboy:
Originally Posted By anymanusa:
If you've already got it, prednisone will help get rid of it. If it's a bad case, you may HAVE to have prednisone. Most the time if you treat it with antihistamines like benadryl and claritin etc, and topically treat with calamine, you can vastly improve your comfort level.

That’s when the pee comes in.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 10:01:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Slvrktman] [#14]
Originally Posted By cancard:

Go on.
View Quote

At 5:55 today you still haven’t tried the hot water trick, hope you are enjoying the itch. Dumb!

The sticky poison ivy oil will be on all your clothes and shoes ect….that oil will give you poison ivy again…even weeks later, if you touch it.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 10:09:02 PM EDT
[#15]

Go on.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By eac223:
Brake clean (no joke)

Go on.

What gives you the rash is oil from the plant. Break clean is a solvent. It takes the oil off as opposed to many remedies where you end up smearing the oil into an even bigger area. I see a previous poster recommended rubbing alcohol.  That would work too as alcohol is also a solvent.  Break clean is just handy for me because you can grab it in your shop and spray liberal amounts,  when you're outside.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 10:49:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Slvrktman:

At 5:55 today you still haven’t tried the hot water trick, hope you are enjoying the itch. Dumb!

The sticky poison ivy oil will be on all your clothes and shoes ect….that oil will give to poison ivy again…even weeks later, if you touch it.
View All Quotes

Go on.

The sticky poison ivy oil will be on all your clothes and shoes ect….that oil will give to poison ivy again…even weeks later, if you touch it.

Hot water
Dawn
Break cleaner
Started Prednisone
Benedryl

War.  I declared it.  FPI.

Link Posted: 8/26/2024 10:52:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Doesn't that Tecnu smell like Gojo hand cleaner IIRC?  Anyway, Gojo hand cleaner or some cleaner designed to remove oils is cheaper per ounce than that Tecnu and yes use a washcloth.  The hot water trick does work for itch relief.  I heard it was your body getting rid of histamine when you do this.  Who knows, but the hot shower does work.  Bleach works, but you always hear that it's not the safest thing to do and probably isn't depending on strength.

Anyway, Good luck!

Link Posted: 8/26/2024 11:00:11 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Anonymoose1:
There isn’t one. Don’t scratch at it and ride it out.
View Quote

This. Also, you will scratch it anyway.

Link Posted: 8/26/2024 11:02:21 PM EDT
[#19]

Yep
And hot water
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 11:02:27 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Ruin:

This. Also, you will scratch it anyway.

View Quote
A lot.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 11:03:39 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Freebeer:
TECNU
View Quote

This, best there is. Buy the liquid soap also. If i even think i got into it at work i scrub well with this. Gets the oil out 100%
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 11:05:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Slvrktman] [#22]

Hot water
Dawn
Break cleaner
Started Prednisone
Benedryl

War.  I declared it.  FPI.

View Quote

Dawn and a coarse rag to scrub the poison ivy oil off your skin.
Hot water to release the histamines…for itch relief.
Repeat hot water in 6-8 hours. or as needed.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 11:12:15 PM EDT
[#23]

View Quote

QFT  wash those clothes with some Dawn dish washing.  A little goes a long ways and suds up bigly.  Then wash them again with your normal detergent. Throw your shoe laces out and buy new ones.  Wear latex or rubber gloves when doing the above.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 11:24:04 PM EDT
[#24]
If you have a pool or hot tub, use it. Chlorine helps the rash dry out and clear up.
Before bed, take as hot a shower as you can stand. Let the water run on the rash. The heat will make your body release histimine, that's what makes you itch. It will take your body a few hours to make more, so you can sleep.
Calamine is meh.
Try Technu products. They have an anti-itch gel that is amazing.

Welcome to the 40% of the population that is affected by that stupid plant, along with Poison Oak.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 11:29:08 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By JosephTurrisi:

View Quote
Idk why, but I literally lol'd at this image in my brain.
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 12:05:47 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Tucoshovels:

You're supposed to rub a jelly fish on it!
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Tucoshovels:
Originally Posted By Skywarp2203:
In before someone says to pee on it.

You're supposed to rub a jelly fish on it!

Link Posted: 8/27/2024 12:38:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: bossco14] [#27]
Get the steroid shot and the pills from doctor
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 1:05:07 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By laxman09:
Scalding hot water all over blisters
Scratch like hell getting blister to pop
Wrap weeping mess in a few layers of Bounty or gauze
Repeat until the agony ends
View Quote

Similar to what I do.

Completely disagree with not scratching it.

I use a razor or sharp knife to pop all the blisters.

I then soak a cotton swab in alcohol and put it on the blisters to dry them out more.

I continue repeating as the blisters pop back up.

Take antihistamines.

I also run it under the hottest water I can stand, it truly feels amazing!

I believe the not scratching came from when people erroneously thought you could spread it by scratching it.

Link Posted: 8/27/2024 1:13:16 AM EDT
[#29]
I'm shocked nobody has mentioned jewelweed.  If you have it, it can prevent it from spreading.  If you come in contact with it, immediately apply a salve or wash the area with jewelweed soap to stop it before it blisters.  Jewelweed is everywhere, and your crafty WAGS can make shit for your whole family that is actually useful.
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 1:18:41 AM EDT
[#30]
Calamine works as long as you wear a lot of it. It doesn’t make the irritating oil go away but it does keep it from contacting your nerves in the meantime as long as you use enough of it.
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 2:01:38 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 6:47:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: cancard] [#32]
Originally Posted By MikeJGA:

QFT  wash those clothes with some Dawn dish washing.  A little goes a long ways and suds up bigly.  Then wash them again with your normal detergent. Throw your shoe laces out and buy new ones.  Wear latex or rubber gloves when doing the above.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By MikeJGA:

Pfff.  Laughs in Hey Dudes

Link Posted: 8/27/2024 6:52:01 AM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By David0858:

My sister ended up in the ER once and almost another time when she was a kid just from being down wind of yard debris with it in it burning .
View Quote
You should NOT burn poison ivy.  If someone sensitive to it breathes in the smoke it can be really bad.
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 7:09:50 AM EDT
[#34]
I do my best to keep myself from getting it in the first place. I am super allergic and come into contact with it a lot when working on hunting paths at the farm. I try my best to limit workdays to half days if I'm seriously clearing and immediately come home and shower with dawn dish soap. Start at the hair and work down twice. I rarely get it now.

I watched a video that said to think of the oils as a thick grease not light oil. You need something to cut it and it doesn't wash off easily with just soap.
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 7:31:19 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Ilikepieman] [#35]
Originally Posted By HDS64:

I was the same way, until one day I wasn't, crap eats me up now.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By HDS64:
Originally Posted By boolzi:
Man, I’m 52 and don’t get it, never have. I was cutting a dirtbike trail yesterday to extend my Mx track down a hill through the woods just swinging a machete and yanking big vines bare handed. My kid can look at it and get blistered.

I was the same way, until one day I wasn't, crap eats me up now.

I’m the same.  I don’t get it as bad as people I know but I did become allergic later in life.
Zanfill or technu helps
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 8:00:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: triple6] [#36]
Go to urgent care and ask for prednisone
Knocks it down quick
Just make sure to drink lots of water, keep exercising and eating good to ride out the prednisone cycle

Also I shower immediately after working anywhere close to poison ivy or if I think there’s a chance of contact.
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 1:09:15 PM EDT
[#37]
I got that shit a few months ago. Thought it was bug bites at first, until it kept spreading. Sucked for about 3 weeks. Still have marks from it.
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 2:12:51 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By CastleBravo91:
I got that shit a few months ago. Thought it was bug bites at first, until it kept spreading. Sucked for about 3 weeks. Still have marks from it.
View Quote

That was my first thought.  I was thinking fleas as we got a new kitten.
Link Posted: 9/2/2024 9:25:57 PM EDT
[#39]
Everytime I think I’m cleared up, a new blister forms.  WTF.

Link Posted: 9/2/2024 9:28:12 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By Freebeer:
TECNU
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/3/2024 8:17:03 AM EDT
[#41]

View Quote

Change your bed sheets
Link Posted: 9/3/2024 8:21:43 AM EDT
[#42]
Get the steroid shot & pills
Link Posted: 9/3/2024 8:24:39 AM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By wakeboarder:

Change your bed sheets
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By wakeboarder:

Change your bed sheets

This....use towels once....change pillows....prolly on your furniture now....steering wheel in car....shit get's everywhere, worse than anti-seize.
Link Posted: 9/3/2024 8:35:02 AM EDT
[#44]
Ivy dry is the best. Technu is second best.
Link Posted: 9/3/2024 8:37:25 AM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By kaizer27:
none of the OTC shit works on me.  I have tried fighting it for weeks, now as soon as it pops i go and get the shot from the Dr and its gone in 3 days.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By kaizer27:

What's your go to remedy to speed up this process?

First time getting it and I'm 53.
none of the OTC shit works on me.  I have tried fighting it for weeks, now as soon as it pops i go and get the shot from the Dr and its gone in 3 days.

This. I’m ultra allergic. I go get the shot as soon as I know I have it.
Link Posted: 9/3/2024 8:40:01 AM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By Number_Six:

Drew or Allysa? Get Both.
Drew Barrymore when she was young, cute, sleazy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-O3cU3dODjo
Alyssa Milano when she was young, cute, sleazy and naked
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ToWT7uCjMlw
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/3/2024 12:23:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: cancard] [#47]
Originally Posted By bossco14:
Get the steroid shot & pills
View Quote

I declared my own personal jihad on this shit.  From prednisone, brake cleaner, Dawn dish soap, calamine lotion, hot water, new towels, etc.  99% is controlled.  It’s a little new pimple popping up daily is is quickly eradicated using the aforementioned.  But damn, it’s getting old.  As soon as I think I’m clear . . . Boom!  There’s new one.

FPI
FJB
FKH

Link Posted: 9/3/2024 12:36:07 PM EDT
[#48]

View Quote

When you're exposed to poison ivy, the urushiol is absorbed into the cells. Your skin cells are exposed to varying levels of the chemical and as such, present the symptoms over different times. The high dosage causes a response quickly, while a low does is expressed later.

The differing response of the bodies skin cells often leads people to claim "it's spreading" when in reality the delayed response is because certain parts of the body were exposed to different levels of urushiol.

It's true that you can contaminate yourself by touching old clothes, bed sheets, etc, but if you're seeing the breakout in the same general area of when it first started, then it was just a lower dosage to begin with. Contamination would be something like you had it on your arm to begin with, but now it's on your legs, back, face, etc.

The rash from poison ivy doesn't "spread"...especially after you have showered and cleaned off. It's absorbed into the cells of your skin.
Link Posted: 9/3/2024 12:36:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HoodyHoo21] [#49]
Double
Link Posted: 9/3/2024 12:39:13 PM EDT
[#50]
This stuff helped me the most last time. Helped more than zanfel

Attachment Attached File
Page / 4
Poison Ivy (Page 3 of 4)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top