Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Poison Ivy (Page 1 of 4)
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 8/26/2024 12:34:44 PM EDT

What’s your go to remedy to speed up this process?

First time getting it and I’m 53.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 12:36:30 PM EDT
[#1]
There isn’t one. Don’t scratch at it and ride it out.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 12:37:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: tsg68] [#2]
Swim in an ocean of Calamine lotion

Poison Ivy Peter Gunn Theme
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 12:38:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By cancard:

What's your go to remedy to speed up this process?

First time getting it and I'm 53.
View Quote
none of the OTC shit works on me.  I have tried fighting it for weeks, now as soon as it pops i go and get the shot from the Dr and its gone in 3 days.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 12:39:11 PM EDT
[#4]
I really liked her character in the Batman cartoons and games
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 12:39:33 PM EDT
[#5]
If you've already got it, prednisone will help get rid of it. If it's a bad case, you may HAVE to have prednisone. Most the time if you treat it with antihistamines like benadryl and claritin etc, and topically treat with calamine, you can vastly improve your comfort level.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 12:39:34 PM EDT
[#6]
In before someone says to pee on it.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 12:42:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Zanfel. As soon as possible and it works fantastic for me.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 12:43:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Scalding hot water all over blisters
Scratch like hell getting blister to pop
Wrap weeping mess in a few layers of Bounty or gauze
Repeat until the agony ends
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 12:43:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Man, I’m 52 and don’t get it, never have. I was cutting a dirtbike trail yesterday to extend my Mx track down a hill through the woods just swinging a machete and yanking big vines bare handed. My kid can look at it and get blistered.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 12:44:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Two weeks
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 12:44:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HangfiresGhost] [#11]
Domeboro or the cheaper Pediboro made into a solution per packet instructions.

Wet a washrag with this and lay on affected area.

Store unused in refrigerator. Not good to drink, be careful around kids.

https://domeboro.com
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 12:45:05 PM EDT
[#12]
always heard  Clorox. Be brave.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 12:45:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Skywarp2203:
In before someone says to pee on it.
View Quote

This is GD, we’ve already assumed OP tried this
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 12:45:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Tecnu
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 12:46:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By boolzi:
Man, I’m 52 and don’t get it, never have. I was cutting a dirtbike trail yesterday to extend my Mx track down a hill through the woods just swinging a machete and yanking big vines bare handed. My kid can look at it and get blistered.
View Quote

I was the same way, until one day I wasn't, crap eats me up now.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 12:46:41 PM EDT
[#16]
The best remedy is not to be allergic to it. It works REAL well.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 12:49:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Apparently I'm pretty sensitive to it. I got it bad enough last summer while weed eating that I had to go to the doctor and get a steroid shot, plus a prescription for steroids. I don't feel like they did much. I had it all up and down both arms and across my neck. Worst week of my life that I can remember.

I used all the topical anti-itch creams/sprays and they all work pretty well....temporarily. I liked calamine the best.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 12:50:00 PM EDT
[#18]
TECNU
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 12:50:18 PM EDT
[#19]
I've used anti itch lotion. It doesn't work, but it gives you something to do.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 12:50:25 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By anymanusa:
If you've already got it, prednisone will help get rid of it. If it's a bad case, you may HAVE to have prednisone. Most the time if you treat it with antihistamines like benadryl and claritin etc, and topically treat with calamine, you can vastly improve your comfort level.
View Quote
This. Or a trip to the ocean. Jump in and scratch all you want. Always worked for me when I was a kid.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 12:50:33 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By David0858:
View Quote

Yep.  I'm fine with poison ivy.  I can roll around in it like hay and never get an itch.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 12:51:47 PM EDT
[#22]
Technu get the one with a scrub and use it whenever it itches, it’s found at any store like Walmart. You want to wash your body with it. Use cold water. Pat dry. Obviously, wash the affected area last. You don’t want to spread oils. Stuff works wonders. It won’t speed up the process but it will stop it from spreading if you don’t scratch it and maintain some consciousness about it.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 12:52:06 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By opnblstr:

Yep.  I'm fine with poison ivy.  I can roll around in it like hay and never get an itch.
View Quote

I was the same way until two years ago….
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 12:52:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: buck19delta] [#24]
Originally Posted By cancard:

What’s your go to remedy to speed up this process?

First time getting it and I’m 53.
View Quote

Bleach water.  

Iv seen horrifically bad poison ivy rash’s with blisters, weeping, crazy itching…. Totally dried up with zero itching within 24 hours. Iv treated myself many times, works amazingly well, and best of all…. CHEAP and easy. Walk into your laundry room…. Vs dr appointments and expensive shots / creams, etc.

In basic training a kid had it really bad, thighs, balls, hands, arms, blisters, itching was horrible.  They told him if it didn’t get better soon, they were recycling him.  That night I saw him putting pure bleach soaked wash cloths on the spots, next day those ivy blisters were flaking off, itching gone, massive relief.

I once got it on my foot, in summer, and I had to wear boots in a 110*+ factory in July. It was dime sized in morning, covering my entire foot by dinner, itching was insane. Suffering, massive.

I took a 5 gallon bucket, filled it with hot water, added a bunch of bleach and stuck my foot in. Hot water felt great. Kept in it as long as I could stand it, which was maybe 30 minutes. Took my foot out, all the hair was gone foot to knee … and so was the itching ! Next day foot was good as new.  It’s extremely effective for ivy rashes, cheap as shit, very easy to get, even in remote areas, as every mom n pop has bleach.

Hot shower feels amazing on itchy ivy rashes you can’t physically scratch. Omg feels so good !
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 12:52:45 PM EDT
[#25]
TecNu medicated spray will eliminate the itch, as hot of water as you can stand before application.  

Poison Ivy Video

A bit late for you, but watch this quick video, it really helps mitigate the damage after exposure.  

Link Posted: 8/26/2024 12:53:10 PM EDT
[#26]
If it's bad enough, head over to your favorite doc-in-a-box and ask them for a steroid shot. That shit will dry up, stop itching and be gone in 2 days. Stops itching within a couple hours.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 12:53:43 PM EDT
[#27]
View Quote

Nobody in my family and on my father's side of the family (I have no idea about my mother's side but she wasn't)  is except my sister and she's extremely, extremely  allergic. My wife is mildly allergic, a little itch and some bumps but nothing to write home about.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 12:55:01 PM EDT
[#28]
Bleach.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 12:55:14 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By laxman09:
Scalding hot water
View Quote

Hot shower, hottest water you can stand on the affected area. It will kill the itch for most of the day.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 12:56:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: David0858] [#30]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By David0858:

Yeah, when I was a kid I won some bets like that. Evidently there's people that think every one is allergic to it. When I was in grade school I even won a bet that I wouldn't chew on some and spit it out.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 12:56:22 PM EDT
[#31]
View Quote

I think I was 55 when I got it the first time.

Link Posted: 8/26/2024 12:56:31 PM EDT
[#32]
Shot from the Dr and a prescription of prednisone.

Link Posted: 8/26/2024 12:56:44 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 12:57:32 PM EDT
[#34]
I got it so bad one time as a kid my eyes swelled shut. Prednisone works wonders.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 12:57:57 PM EDT
[#35]
Sharp Mora and a fifth of vodka
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 12:58:13 PM EDT
[#36]

This is what I use. It is affordable compared to Zanfel but doesn't work as well. But it works pretty good.

I use it pretty aggressively but it cuts down on the recovery time. I will rinse the area, apply a generous amount and grind it into the affected area. I will then take a butter knife and scrape the area until all of the pustules have popped. I will then work the wash into the area very well. Rinse with warm water, and look for unbroken pustules, then repeat if needed.

Once the area has been washed, blot dry with a paper towel and apply an absorbant medicated body powder such as Gold Bond. Look for a menthol and zinc formula. This will absorb any weeping that will occur and prevent any missed oils from spreading the rash.

It looks like psoriasis but it works.

It beats my Polish buddy's advice of scratching it until it bleeds and applying bleach.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 12:59:01 PM EDT
[#37]
Zanfel works. Sometimes takes 2-3 applications for me but works. It’s a gritty soap wash that bonds with and pulls the urushiol out of your skin. I am very allergic. I wish this stuff had been around when I was a kid and I had some of my epic poison ivy bouts.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 1:02:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Paul] [#38]
Too late for pre-treatment coverage.

Tec Nu - poison ivy oil removing soap

IvyX - post exposure treatment

Calamine lotion - soothing
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 1:03:09 PM EDT
[#39]
Benadryl helps reduce the itching.  That's the only thing I found that work, but I never did super hot showers, Tecnu, bleach or a steroid shot.  I've probably had it 50 times.  It helps to learn how to identify it.  Everywhere I go in the woods now I am searching for that shit.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 1:04:58 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By Paul:
Too late for pre-treatment coverage.

Tec Nu - poison ivy oil removing soap

IvyX - post exposure treatment

Calamine lotion - soothing
View Quote

Calamine lotion is IMHO the most worthless shit ever, Iv tried it a dozen times and got zero relief each time, it does nothing to stop itching.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 1:05:51 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By cancard:Poison-Ivy

What’s your go to ....
View Quote

Drew or Allysa? Get Both.
Drew Barrymore when she was young, cute, sleazy
Poison Ivy (1992) - Official Trailer

Alyssa Milano when she was young, cute, sleazy and naked
Poison Ivy 2: Lily Trailer 1995
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 1:07:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: buck19delta] [#42]
View Quote

Poison ivy “ off gasses “, large concentrations of the plants / areas with lots of it can actually infect sensitive people with the typical itching / blisters without actual physical contact.

I hate that shit. Dealt with that crap far, far too much over the years, hunting, camping, military, yard / farm work, fencing, cutting firewood, etc.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 1:08:49 PM EDT
[#43]
All I remember from the last time I got poison ivy was that very hot water felt absolutely orgasmic.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 1:11:04 PM EDT
[#44]
When I was a little kid (I guess, around 8) and wound up with poison ivy so bad, all over my body, that I was hospitalized with it so I didn't get a bad infection.  I don't remember much, if anything, about the hospital stay.  I finally figured out why I was always getting poison ivy... I now stay out of the woods!
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 1:12:05 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By buck19delta:

Poison ivy “ off gasses “, it can actually infect people with itching / blisters without actual physical contact.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By buck19delta:

Poison ivy “ off gasses “, it can actually infect people with itching / blisters without actual physical contact.

My sister ended up in the ER once and almost another time when she was a kid just from being down wind of yard debris with it in it burning .
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 1:13:45 PM EDT
[#46]

dammit i probably got poison ivy reading this thread. better stop at doc in the box after work
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 1:14:08 PM EDT
[#47]
I have found that taking a long hot shower…as you can stand it. It opens the pores. Then you scrub the crap out of it with a very soapy washcloth to remove the poison.

Repeat as necessary.

YMMV

Link Posted: 8/26/2024 1:14:47 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By RayFromJersey:
All I remember from the last time I got poison ivy was that very hot water felt absolutely orgasmic.
View Quote

Absolutely does !

When it was covering my foot, I pulled my boot off, entire top of my foot was covered with blisters, between toes, etc, itching was extremely INTENSE, pure misery, can’t physically touch it / scratch it etc.

I got into the shower and directed hot shower onto my foot.. instantly.. OMG !  Eyes literally rolled back in my head from pure concentrated ecstasy ! Felt better than sex. Within 30 seconds the intense ecstasy fell off… turning the water hotter and it immediately returned, rinse, repeat.  
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 1:16:06 PM EDT
[#49]
If I get it really bad...I will go to the doctor and they will give me some type of steroid shot.  Works wonders.......
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 1:16:14 PM EDT
[#50]
The problem with it is it is diabolical, it will course your blood and outbreak in areas that you did not even have contact with poison ivy.

That's where the steroids come in and will stop or halt the spread of it so you can actually begin to heal
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Poison Ivy (Page 1 of 4)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top